Chapter 14-2

Chapter 14-2

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 14-2


Wayne could see the worries on his face. It was the same worry he had when he was the only one to deal with all these problems; “why didn't you come to me sooner friend?” Wayne replied as puts his arm around his shoulders. “That's what friends are for, to help each other. Now then I say we stop banging our heads helps some folks because Sheriff their right? There is a storm coming we need every last one of them,” giving a quick nod. Wayne taking the reins of the wagon he flicks his hand quickly galloping into Cracken Villa square, yelling at the top of his lungs “come all, come all to the squire,” as Sheriff Whitmore rings the bell for the meeting.


Sheriff Whitmore stands at the podium waits for everyone then bangs on the gavel raises his arms for quiet. “As you folks have heard there's a storm coming, they're right. Well, we haven‘t forgotten about you, no sir not our friends. We've been building a town just for you, a strong town down the road for those that would like to stay and make a go of it here. If you don't that's fine too, we wish you well and thank you for your hospitality, see ya next year for the annual picnic here on the farm. With sadness in our hearts, we are hereby closing this here town. Moving you all to New Downing after the Doc and his nurses have looked at ya, sign you in on the rosters. Because I'll have jobs for you when you get there,” as he smiles back at Sheriff Downing. “So start packing because well be back.”


Everyone shouting in the air dancing jig, “they were going home at last and finally have something to do then sitting around stewing,” Not very smart if you ask me? Most of them could have gone already if they weren't planning on staying around. They just wanted to party, who wouldn't when the food was free? Both Sheriffs left Cracken with smiles on their faces that day knowing that one problem was solved two too go.


“Alright, Wayne spill it how do you plan on solving my problems?” Sheriff Whitmore asked.


“Teamwork and ingenuity, for one; I own a lumber mill and they need some workers, second I also own a sheep ranch they need some workers too,” and grins. “Plus Aunty M tells me their sheep down here already and 1000 bails of cotton that need to be worked and if that isn't enough I can get more. I think she said something about 15% of that too? Not sure haven’t been there yet. Might send my wife and the girls to see it, they would love the outdoors; maybe send your wife with them just for fun. She could use a break after being indoors,” he replied.”


“You got to be joking right?” As he gazes over at Wayne seeing the amused smile on his face...


“Nope,” as he flicks his wrist hard on the reigns as Sheriff Whitmore falls back down on his seat trying to hold on as they head for New Downing. To stop at the News Paper office, Post Office, and Doc's Office. “Good afternoon Sheriff Downing, Sheriff Whitmore how can we be of service?” Replies Mr. Grams.


Wayne said. “We were wondering if you could make me say 500 flyers and add an addition to your paper, Mr. Grams,” Wayne asked.


“Sure not a problem,” Mr. Grams taking his note pad out.


“I want the flyer to say. A big winter storm is coming people down in Downing Villa, please move down to Cracken Villa or start heading for home within the week. Thanks for your hospitality and generosity sees ya next year at the farmer’s picnic at the farm,” Wayne replied; “now for the addition to the paper.”


“People of New Downing we like to thank you for hospitality and generosity and ask you to support us in helping our new neighbors from Cracken Villa. Find a place in your homes and your hearts by helping build their own little cottages as we know you will. There will be a roster to sign up if ya like to help and one for work that needs to be done. See Sheriff Whitmore and Sheriff Downing thanks for all you've done.”


“That's should do it, Mr. Grams, all send the Deputies over later to pick up the flyers. Thanks.” Sheriffs walked over to the Post Office next door.


“Good afternoon Sheriff Downing, Sheriff Whitmore how can I be of service?” Mr. Rivers replied.


“Just need to make a phone call that's all send off a telegram.” Sheriff Downing said as he pulled out a couple of cards one with numbers of Lumber Mill dials the number.


“Hello, Larry this Wayne Downing... Yes, TIMBER!” Wayne laughing, “How's the weather up there?” Cold.”... “Yes, I remember...  Planning sending you some green trees that direction,” as he laughs, “should be there in a few days. I was wondering if you could send me down some more that special stuff. The woodpeckers seemed to eat it all up down here,” as he laughed. “They need it pretty bad before winter sets in. Oh, I would say 40,000 tons or more should do it. Building house and a town with birdhouses for those woodpeckers,” as he laughed... “That's should do it, yell Timber for the boys and se ya real soon.” Wayne quickly smiles at Sheriff Whitmore and Mr. Rivers shaking their heads, “now then,” writing the telegram. And the address watching his eyes pop out his head, “sorry not local Jason, you won't need the boys for this one just your fingers.



Howdy Rodger and the boy's stop...

Bah, bah black sheep need their wool stop...

900 fleeces would be nice to keep us warm stop...

Wayne Downing and the boys saying Howdy and thanks stop...


“That should about do it,” Wayne said signing the telegram. “Thanks again Mr. Rivers,” as they wave goodbye heading towards Doc's Office up the street with a whistle and grin on his face.


Doc Whitmore said. “Man when you solve a person problem you solve one in spades, Wayne,” he replied as he pats him on the back. “But why are we going to Doc’s office when you know that I'm a Doctor not just a Sheriff of this here town?”


“For a very good reason friend, you can't do everything alone. I know and tried it believe me I've tried. It takes more than one person to get the job done or nothing gets done. You just spin your wheels trying, knocking yourself out until you give in friend, trust me this needs to be done.”


They both walked into the Doc's office seeing him buried in paperwork from head to toe Sheriff Whitmore laughs and watches, “I see what you mean Wayne,” and Sheriff Whitmore pulling Doc by the arm, “let’s go Doc Hatfield me and you are going have a talk,” turning around the mounds of paperwork in his office shaking his head, walks him right on down to Mary's cottage knocking on the door.


“May we come in?” Wayne asked shoving Doc through the door. Doctor to Doctor and midwife glaring folding her arms staring at Doc Hatfield at the mess he got himself into this time. “But I was…” Doc Hatfield was about to reply.


“No you weren't,” Mary said standing in the room as he shrinks back into his chair like a little mouse. Doc Whitmore tells them they are expected to be at Cracken in the morning, she nods, “thanks Doc, he'll be there,” getting the door for them, then polite closing it staring rolled her eyes at Doc Hatfield in the chair.


“Well Doc sounds like me and you got some work to do so let’s get cracken,” holding out her hand. They both go down to his office putting on a pot of Joe organizing the pile and signing the papers and put them back into the cabinets and files, sweeps up the room with a smile. “Now it looks like Doctors office complete with desk and examining room.” She smiles leaving out the door arm in arm for home. Him tipping his hat


“Thanks, Mary.”


“That's what's friends are for Doc, see ya in the morning.”


As you walked down the street there was a soft humming of the paper office and the tapping of the Telegrams wire. A musical sound as the sheriff boys were setting up the gates again and going door to door. Checking on supplies for their guests and calling to farmers, getting ready for the next day for their new guests to arrive from Cracken on the morrow.


The sun was setting low in the sky as the boys and Pa headed back to their cottage for dinner. EJ counting the people on the list and worrying how can he and his brothers and friends can pull it off and what about tomorrow? Robert and Will could tell he was worried about how silent he was by the faraway look on his face. Placing their arms around him to trying to cheer him up give him a little nudge and slight tickle to brighten his face. “EJ quit worrying, besides we won't let you down now. So quit worrying about it, it’s just us, not the whole town.” Robert replied finding a feather in the wagon from Mr. Rooster. The boys pinning him down tickling him till he cries uncle and gives in. “Alright boys that's enough,” Ma said smiling at them.


“Yes, Ma,” Pa laughing rubbing his chin as he drives the wagon back to the cottages. Boys will be boys regardless if they are young men. He was glad as he nods to the men around the corner watching their place.



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

60 Views
Added on February 14, 2019
Last Updated on January 18, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep