Chapter 15-1

Chapter 15-1

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 15-1



* * *

 


The boys returned back home to change into their work clothes and Pa gave them a lift back to the farm in the wagon too retrieve their horses. While Richard and Pa worked on the house, with the crew of twenty-five men today. Things were sure looking good as the boys all looked back at their new house. The boys rode on back to New Downing with a sigh remembering summer days that have gone by.


Some of the tents in Downing Villa had been torn down one by one as people headed this way towards Cracken or back to their homes. It made them feel sorry for them watching them go. Yet knowing they'll be back next year for the annual Farms Picnic, which will be held now here on the farm. They waved back and yelling, “see ya'll next year.” They tied up the horse to the hitching post before going inside the Paper and Post Office.


“Hello boys you’re early,” Mr. Grams said still printing the paper and rubbing his chin. “Tell you what I'll do boys. You can help me inside for a while and help me get this paper out and I'll help you sell papers today. Heck, I'll even pay you an extra two dollars bonus each today what do you say?”


The boy's eyes lit up like Christmas lights just thinking about it. “Yes, sir.” The boys said. Mr. Grams puts them all to work, giving them all aprons too wear. Robert at printing press feeding the paper and cranking the wheel and smashing the peddle on the floor, Frank, and Mark unloading the paper to dry off the press, setting it on clips on a wire then folding it when it was dry. Peter stacked the papers in pile and tying it with string. While EJ and Will counted and swept the place clean and helped at the counter.


Mr. Grams set the type on the printing plates for the pages and oiled and inked the machine. Within an hour or so they had the place clean and the newspaper ready and two dollars in their pocket as promised with time to spare looking at the clock. So he sent them all over to Mr. Rivers while he was setting up the papers on the corners seeing the horses were not ready yet.


“Hello, Mr. Rivers can we give you hand?” Seeing the line of people at the counter watching him wipe the sweat off his face and nodded.


“You bet,” he replied looking at the line of people nearly filling the small room. “Looks like I'm going need all you boy's for a while if that's ok,” they all nodded their head looked at the crowd as he smiles. Places Robert, EJ, and Frank, at the counter, “I need you boys to take their packages and letters, weigh them on the scale then place a stamp on them set them in this basket behind you. If they have a question I’ll be right here behind you sorting the packages and letters doing the telegrams.” Mr. Rivers replied while getting them started.


Mr. Rivers sets the other three boys to their task. “Peter, Will, and Mark I need your help in loading up the horses for the delivery of the mail. It makes easy if you place a number on the horse since there are 3 routes and sometimes 4 like today, looks like 4 do to all people added to our little town.”


The boys loaded up the four horses with the packages and letters while EJ, Frank, and Robert helped the customers. Mr. Rivers taking the packages and the letters that boys put into the basket sorted them to where they go. Any local ones he would add to the horses with a number where to go. Soon the lobby was cleared and the horses were packed and ready, he paid each boy a bonus of three dollars for helping out today.


“Now then boy's let’s get down to business,” looking at the clock as he smiles at the boys. Today I need Robert, Will, Mark, and Frank,” handing them each a route and map with address and on it and again to make it fun slapping a five dollar bill on the counter.


“The first one done and back through door gets it.” The boy's take off like a hurricane to their horses flying down the road in a different direction with a package or letter tucked under their arms or in their hands. Mr. Rivers watching them go. Mr. Rivers leans forward with a smile to the other boy's left behind. “You'll all get a chance,” putting his hand on their shoulder walking them over to Mr. Grams News Paper office, with smiles on their faces and five dollars in their pockets.


“Alright boys,” taking off his apron and rolling up his sleeves he put on his News Paper hat, I have your corners ready as you can see. As I said earlier before I'll help you today. “To make it fun,” Mr. Grams pulling out of his pocket a five dollar bill; “the first one out of newspapers gets it.” And points to the stacks at the corners, putting the five dollar bill back into his pocket for safekeeping laughing watching them go out the door towards their corners, reading their headlines, then yelling at the top of their lungs. ‘Cracken moving to New Downing’ or ‘Tents falling in Downing Villa’ or ‘Ghoul's and ghost being evicted.’ People would come from everywhere to buy papers from the two boys. Especially EJ today for some strange reason, maybe it was luck because he was out of papers within a few minutes before he could open his mouth.


He was standing over at Peter helping him sell his, then Mr. Grams stack papers, he wiped them all out today. Giving him the award of five dollars, he kindly gave it to Peter with a smile, telling Mr. Grams. “He needs it more than I do sir,” and smiles. “I'll I wanted was a friend,” puts his arm around him and heads for home.



* * *

 


Faster and faster down the old dirt road around the old corner and over the hill Mark and Will neck and neck as they rode down the road, back towards town each with a package or letter tucked under their arms. Will calculating if he turns left around the next bend around old Mr. Summits Farm? Down through the field, he should make it to his distention to Mr. Harrison's house and back. Mark was heading towards Old Watkins Farm with his letter in hand as he rides down the gullies, up the hills and crosses the creek, riding up the field and around the corner.


Making tracks in the wheat fields as a short cut, he heads towards the farm. Knocked on the door and tipping his hat, “this for you Ma’am,” with smile handing her the letter.


“Thanks,” she said and smiles at the boy as he gets back on his horse heading back watching him go. She yells to him, “what ya name boy?”


“Mark,” he said as he waved. “YAH! YAH!” In the air heading down the road back to town. Mr. Grams and Mr. Rivers in front of the Post office sat on the stools, looking out for the boys wondering who's going to be first, as the watched the road sitting on pins and needles every time they saw a horse or hear a noise nearly jumping right off their seats.


Robert and Frank nose to nose as they quickly rode down the road laughing seeing Mark and, Will coming into town racing as fast as they can towards the Post office decide to play little joke right at the edge of town. They climb off their horse sat on the hill, waiting till they got closer pulling out a five dollar bill out of his pocket that Frank won yesterday. Showing it back and forth turning it over and in the air talking about nothing in particular as they both stop and join them come sit with them on the grass for a minute. Thinking they had already lost.


Robert whispers in Will's ear, “let Mark win,” as gives him a wink, as they hurry back on their horses.


Mr. Grams and Mr. River waited for them in the distance, “what in tar nation are they doin down there?” Shaken his head as they watch them all get back on their horses.


“Picking the winner I imagine,” Mr. Grams said slapping his knee watching them. “Oh look here they come.”


The boy's neck and neck first Robert in the lead then Will, nose too nose. They were sliding back now its Mark and Frank their gaining speed. Look Robert and Will are catching up from behind. Nose to nose again as they both hang on to the very edge of the stool. Mark is in the lead again and now he's a nose to nose with Will. As they stop at the hitching post Will pretends he's got his legs stuck and hand wrapped and foot strapped to the hitching post reties shaking his head watching. Mark goes inside the door and the other boys followed right behind him through the door.


Will and Robert wink at Mr. Rivers and Mr. Grams before going inside. Mr. Grams and looks at Mr. Rivers laughed slapping his knees then rolled his eyes went back inside his paper office with a smile. “Whispering friends are always more important than money,” he said remembering his youth.


Mr. Rivers gives a sigh and rolled his eyes hands the money to Mark and watches his buddies congratulated him for a job well done with pat him on the back with their arm around him. They all get back on their horses head for the stables put them away and headed for home for chores and to start dinner.


According to too, the schedule its Franks turn tonight.  They were planning five extra guests tonight and seems for the rest of the week as well they all nod their heads. Change of menu might be best Roast Turkey with giblet’s and gravy, with mashers with a hint of onion and cream peas and carrots, cornbread stuffing with cranberry and raisins served with a soft buttered dinner roll. For dessert, something simple Mrs. Whitmore razzle dazzle blueberry pie. This should be a snap as Pa always puts it as the boys laughed patting Frank on the back.


They enter the cottage finding Lizzy tending the little one's Sam and Ted. Looking around the cottage wondering and worried where were their friends and their brothers are. “Lizzy where’s EJ and Peter?” Robert asked as they watched Sam and Ted play with their toys and Lizzy doing some needlepoint.


“Your Pa took them down to Downing Villa for while to help with the move to Cracken and to help tare down the tents. He said for you boy's to change your clothes and meet them down there. Now I know you are planning to fix dinner dear, but sometimes things just happen. So we ladies have got it this one dear, just save your dinner for tomorrow Frank. Now scoot, they're waiting for ya and add eight to your menu.”


“Yes, Ma’am.” The boys quickly changed their clothes headed out the door.


“Boys tell your Pa's dinner will be at 7 pm sharp to give you plenty of time for your baths, I need you home by 5:30, after all, it is a school night,” she said.


“Yes, Ma’am.” Once again the boys headed back to the stables to get a wagon this time to head towards the open road heading for Downing Villa, “wholly cow!” looking at all the missing tents, dotting the area the further they go in. They see men taking them down rolling them up and stacking them in the corners. Another group is picking them up and loading the
m on wagons then hauling them off to New Downing. A third group loading people and belongings heading towards Cracken.


EJ and Peter waved to them from a distance along the row of tents that were being taken down marked with red ribbons. They wave back and headed on towards them, “watcha doin?” The Four boys asked.


“What's it look like?” Peter said as Peter and EJ wiped the sweat off their brows, “tearing down tents, clearing the field that's all.”


Pa Downing sticks his head out from one of the tents. “Well boys it’s about time, so are ya gonna stand there all day like a potted plant or help us?” Tying on a red ribbing on the front of the tent.


The boys helped take down the tents that were marked after telling Pa what Aunt Lizzy said. “They said to tell ya that we need to be home by 5:30,” rolling their eyes. “She says dinner will be ready at 7:00,” And left him standing there. The boys went back to join EJ and Peter taking down tents putting them in the corners with the rest, then moving on to the next one. By the time 4:45 came they had cleared half the field that day. Not bad for a couple of hours work. Pa knew it was best never to upset a woman. When she said 5:30 she meant 5:30 at the latest or there be a war on his hands, looking toward the west where his wife and daughters are. He missed them and hoped they were having a good time.


Pa stops the boys from working right at 5:00 judging by his timepiece, which his Pa gave him for Christmas one year about Robert's age. A little pocket watch on a gold-silver chain, like the Train Engineers wear on trains. Pa pulled up the wagon load everyone in it, head for Cracken to get Mr. Whitmore. After all, she said all of them that included him as well. He was easy to spot in the crowd of people that's for sure if you know what I mean. Today he was all decked out in his bright green Kitenge that made you squint your eyes when the sun hit it just right.


Robert whispers over to Frank, “doesn't he get cold wearing that in the fall and winter stooping over?”


Frank said. “Na, he’s wearing a cotton Kitenge and thermals shorts that Ma made him for winter.” Wayne and the boy's wave and yell to him over the crowd Mr. Whitmore see them come right over to the wagon immediately.


Wayne quickly explains the situation looking at his clock. “Oh I see,” as he looked over at the boys and the crowd of people milling around in Cracken, “then I better come,” thinking of the possibility upsetting the women folks any further. Nods to Doc Hatfield, Mary and his captions of this group climbs into the wagon.


Pa taking the reins telling them all to hang on tight as he flicked his wrist starts to yell “YAH!” The horses jump with a hard start racing down the road towards New Downing as Pa yells “YAH! YAH!” The boy's squealing with delight except for Mr. Whitmore. He was thinking Mr. Downing has lost his mind looking at the ground as the wagon flies across the gully and down the other side. Hanging on to his seat was tough to be sure as he felt the slight tickle deep inside, down his back down his middle. His mind thinking "Oh My!" Hanging onto his seat as his face goes white looking down at the wagon watching as wheel coming off the ground when they made a turn. “Yah! Yah!” Pa made another turn then a right pulling in front of the cottage right at 5:25. Pa and the gang rush into the house wiping the sweat right off their faces with the back of their sleeves.


“Well it’s about time,” she said as she nods pointing to the clock then laughing at their expression on their faces. “Now then dinner will be ready at 7:00 boys as promised there are clean towels in the bathroom and wood that needs to be chopped and table that needs be set.”  Then taking a whiff at Pa and Doc Whitmore. “Oh, my,” rolling her eyes as if to faint away “That includes you two skunks. You are not sitting at my table no sir; I suggest you two go first,” she said pointing down the hall, “today boys.” Pa and Doc giving her a painful look and shock then in return she gives them each a swift kick down the hall.


Robert and Richard put the wagon away for the night while Mark and Will chopped wood for the fire, leaving the rest of the boys to set the table and chairs for dinner. As they waited for Pa and Mr. Whitmore to finish with their baths, you could hear Mr. Whitmore singing down the hall when he's in the tub.


“Once there was a groundhog sitting on a log, he was chewing his log until he fell off. Along came his wife said, honey, watcha doin down there. He simply replies bathing dear come and join me, the waters fine down here.”


Pa and the boys crack up looking down the hall thinking of the poor groundhog with a wife and groundhog wearing Kitenge doing the backstroke in the pond somewhere. The boys finished setting the table When Mr. Whitmore came down the hall smelling like a rose. Wearing a bright yellow Kitenge that if we didn't know him you would think he was a sunflower with his black beads around his neck After they were all done with their baths with minutes to spare and Lizzy satisfied with a smile. Four farm boys and three boys, EJ dressed in his blue cotton Kitenge and Frank and Mark in their green ones, what colors they were at the table. It would have made a rainbow look pale. A knock at the door and the rest of their guests arrived; bring in the remainder of the food. Grandma with her hobo's casserole, which has everything in it like hamburger, peas and carrots, potatoes, three kinds of cheeses, and whatever else you kind find of leftover's,


Mary with two pies strawberry and other peaches, Granny with a chocolate cake, Lizzy made the Ham and the rolls with fresh garden salad, and string beans. “MMMM” it looks good all on the table; the boys were feasting tonight that's for sure. Tonight Pa gave the toast and welcomed everyone to their humble cottage and thanks them for preparing such a fine meal. They had some light conversation then put the children to bed. Thanked them for coming went to bed themselves, after all, it was a school night and Pa didn't want them to get used to staying up too late.


Soon they all would be returning back to the farm having to do their chores before going to school. He had to admit that it was nice to have Mr. Rooster next door as he feeds him tonight. That he did miss him and makes a good alarm clock as himself thinking fresh eggs would be nice. “I wonder?” Looking behind the house judging the room. “Heck why not,” rubbing his chin going back inside grabbing his pad and pencil begins making a drawing of a design 6 chicken pins close together that could include Mr. Rooster, Plus away to carry them from the farm. So they won't get hurt. Then thinking of Rena and Doc Whitmore and smiles, “yes that's what will do and just maybe a third rooster.” Chuckling to himself which lit up his face making up special roster called plan chicken, then went to bed with a smile on his face and song in his heart, “chick a de chick a do, come clucking, come crowing with me and see what we may do.”


Pa makes the rounds alone tonight while missing his wife and his daughters. Into the boy's room as he tiptoes. They are all snoring like bears in a bear cave. Wait a minute that's just Mr. Whitmore in with his boy Mark. Pa starts with his two little one's Sam and Ted tucking them firmly into bed. He to miss Danny, it just not the same somehow when he not here with them playing around the farm. Whispering to each, “goodnight my little sons and to Danny even if you are not here.”


Then moving on to the next set of bunk beds EJ on the bottom and Will on top “What a surprise this one has been and all started with a pair of sheets and note. Oh how we all love him so.” Bending down whispering in his ear, “thanks for coming into our lives and soon to be my son. He will be my son even thou he is already no matter what,” he said, looking down upon his face.


“Goodnight my son,” tucking him into bed checking his temperature just to make sure and brushing his hair out of his face. Standing up seeing Will “Will my dear son, thank you for being a good brother and best friend when the need is so great, goodnight my son.” Next was Richard in the next bunk sharing it with Frank on the bottom with Richard? He smiles watching him sleep for just minute and placing his hand back inside and tucking him in. They have come close to a fathers bond as he smiles; “yes I think his Dad would have been proud of him. Goodnight to all my sons and daughters. Oh, how I love each one of you.” Pa heads back to this room climbs into bed next Robert sleeping whispering to him, “goodnight and thanks you Robert for being there for Will and EJ when they needed you the most,” and then falling fast asleep.





© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

66 Views
Added on February 14, 2019
Last Updated on January 18, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep