Chapter 18-1

Chapter 18-1

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 18-1


Linda crumbles up the citation throws it at Jim, “Look what you have done,” picking up the piece paper off the floor waving into his face. “Just look what they have done to us, your mother has done to us, and this is your fault. Jim,” Jim walks out of the room down the hall to the bedroom closes the door refusing to listen to her as she rambles on.

Linda is outraged and follows him busting down the door. “Just who do think you are dear closing the door on me. How dare you shut me out when I am talking to you?” Jim starts to say something Linda cuts him off as always. “Tell me, Jim, how are you going clean up this mess now?” Throwing the crumpled paper into his face.


Jim's face goes red yells, "LINDA! That's enough! I can't take it anymore,” sitting on the bed, “your whining, complaining… you are just as bad as the children, yet all you can do is blame me when things go wrong. We both did this and you know it, so stop it putting all on my shoulders and do something about it,” handing her box of tissues and un-crumpling the paper so he could read it. “It says here Linda,” pointing to the spot, where the doctor's name is. “We need to seek help and you need it dear and so do I because we can't live like this anymore… unless of course, you feel like going to jail and never seeing your children again,” he replied with anger in his voice. 


Linda's eyes go wide at the very thought of not seeing them again puts fear into her eyes; the first thoughts going through her mind. What would the neighbors think? Then sitting down on the bed, “what would our relatives think?  “And unless you prefer having those people raise them as their own?” He replied.


“No Jim, I don't!” she screamed.


“Then we must do something about it and stop moping around here gets some help,” he said. Linda wiped her eyes and nods in agreement finding a Doctor that was a signed to their case Doctor Jasper Main.


Linda picks up the phone and dials the doctor’s office. “Yes we like too set an appointment please with Doctor Main”


“Who is the appointment for Ma’am?”


“Me and my husband Jim....”



* * *

 


The Whitmore's where glad to be home as they took a deep breath and smelled the air around them, the temperatures were just right as Kollie and the boys change back into their warmer clothes. For fall was defiantly in the air as the leaves were beginning to fall from the trees, leaving trails of a soft blanket of leaves to play in as they crunch beneath their feet. Summer days are gone as the boys sadden, yet knowing new adventures await them in the coming months.


As the Whitmore's moved out of the Downing's cottage, they travel to Peter's grandmother's farm. It was a sad day, but the time had come as Martha and girls helped Rena get the farm ready for them. Wayne and the boys helped move things from Whitmore's old home to the farm. There was a room for each boy as Wayne and Kollie set up the beds for them and boys set it up how they like of course with their friends help. Martha and Rena doing the inventory of the things they will need from the store as Kollie and Wayne walk outside, Richard and Robert are just setting up the chicken pen for the rooster and their chickens.  Kollie watched the boys unload the rooster into his new home. “You got to be joking right?” Kollie asked watching rooster strut his stuff in the pen.


“Nope, every farm needs a good rooster and some chickens my friend and Rena said she wanted some fresh eggs, so we thought why not,” Wayne said pointing over to the pens.


Kollie laughs and thanks him as they both go over and admire their new addition to the farm, brings in some of the eggs for Rena and sets them on the table. “Here go dear fresh eggs from our chickens,” Kollie said and leaves her standing there. They spent all day on the Whitmore farm getting things clean and tidy while Martha and Rena went to market down in New Downing for some of the supplies to get them by for now. While the menfolk walked about the farm planning what kind crops they should plant and how to handle being a Doctor and a farmer.


Kollie gazing over at his three boys as they play on the farm watching them grow. “You know Wayne it is time for a change,” Kollie said as he plucks a weed from the ground thinking of Doc Hatfield, looking back at the house. “I got more out helping folks around here than working in a hospital,” he said picking up soil in his hand then dumping it slowly. Then sighs, “yes its time,” and nods his head as if had made a decision to himself. Thinking of all the time he has missed watching his boys growing up and how much he missed his wife over the last week and being way working long shifts from the hospital.


“Of course Wayne I never farmed anything in my entire life so I might need some help if you don't mind friend?” As they both laugh looking at the open fields of broken down fences overgrown weeds. “Doctoring is all I know how to do,” with a more serious tone in his voice.


Wayne laughs puts a hand on his friend's shoulder,” what do think friends are for Kollie? Of course, will help, but right now we have other things to do.” Kollie nods his head as they walked back into the house and got ready for the viewing and checking off the last minute arrangements making sure the boys have nice suits, which they don't consider most of them were destroyed in the fire. And the Whitmore didn’t have any either except Kitenge, or farm clothes. So shopping was in order as they left a quick note for the woman folk.


Gone to Provo be back soon… needed suits for tomorrow, but would be back in time for the boys to study.


The boys.


Taking Richard's car and Whitmore's they headed to Provo for last minute items and some flowers for the funeral.


Rena was thinking of her husband while she was shopping with Martha and the girls. “Martha, what's it like to have Wayne at home most of the time?” Rena asked.


“Why do you ask?”


“Oh, no reason really just wondering that's all.”


Martha thinks about how to answer Rena questions. “When he is home it's like we share everything, the good and the bad together and he's never far when theirs a problem. I know where he is at all times and he knows where I'm at all times and makes our lives easier I think and richer. The kids are happy too because they have both of us all the time instead one of us to rely on. That's the best way I can describe it other than our love is greater for it and our children's, now why dear something on your mind?”


Rena looks down at her hands, “I don't know how to be a framers wife just a Doctor that's all. And he always comes home so tired and I was hoping he would take up farming and become a country Doctor, like Doctor Hatfield he has been so happy ever since he been down here and I want it to stay that way that's all.”


“Rena?” As Martha puts her arm around her, “that's what friends are for, now then let's gets this shopping done go back to the farm and cook up real nice dinner in your new home.”



* * *

 


“Doctor I just don't understand it we were doing just fine raising our kids, its all lies I tell you. We never hurt our children. We love them and want them back. If we didn't we wouldn't be here for this ridicules rouse. What do you mean we have a problem? Its Jim that has the problem I am fine. It's those bad genes they have that keeps getting them into trouble all the time. If someone needs help, then help him, Doctor,” Linda said as she folds her arms across her chest. Not believing that she is part of the problem and has no regrets of anything she has done.


“Why should I be apart of the problem? It’s those kids Doctor and those neighbors sticking their nose in where they don't belong and their meddling Grandmother. No I don't have an anger problem he does,” Linda said as she points her finger at Jim, “he, got us into this mess, he always expects me to get us out of it. Well, I'm through cleaning up his messes,” and she gets up and leaves slamming the door behind her.



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

55 Views
Added on February 14, 2019
Last Updated on January 19, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep





Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114