Chapter 19

Chapter 19

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 19


Yes I need nine black suits and three sweaters with white shirts and ties for the three small boys,” Wayne said as they try them on and they talk about farming and crops that would be good to grow in the field to start off with. “I’d try growing some corn and some wheat and plant a few fruit trees it saves on grocery later on,” Wayne said watching the boys trying on their suits, “heck, we will even plow your field and the boys could help mend those fences. Get yourself a wagon and a pickup and some horse's Doc. You’d be on your way to becoming farmer,” Wayne said slapping his knee. “Yes, sir I can see it now you plowing a field in your green Kitenge what a sight. Not a scarecrow within twenty miles would come near your farm,” Wayne said as he laughed.


“Actually Wayne,” Kollie said snapping Wayne’s overalls, “I was considering wearing these like my boys,” Kollie said.


Wayne sputtered. “Why, I didn't mean anything by it Kollie.”


“I know Wayne, but I can't farm in these now can I? Doctoring yes, but farming just wouldn't be practical.”


After picking up their suits from the tailor shop they headed back to New Downing stopping at the flower shop and picked out some flowers and buttoners for their suits and head back to the Whitmore farm. Finding the aunts waiting there, going over the boy’s homework; “It's about time you got back,” Mary said putting her hands on her waist pointing to the homework then pointing to the note and the clock.

“Sorry,” they both said nod their heads leavening the boys to their studies. After all, they too promised that work would be done by Monday as Wayne and Kollie caries the supplies and suits upstairs to the boy’s room and go back out to the farm leaving the woman folk alone with the boys.


Aunt Mary sitting the boys at the kitchen table, handing them each a pad paper and pencil tells them to write down these problems going down the chapters of the pretest and closing the door for privacy. Watching each of them work the problems out and showing their work for each problem. Then after a while, they collected the papers and they took another test for each subject on the list. While Ma and rest of the girls and Rena start preparing dinner leaving them alone at the table. Aunt Lizzy had Richard keep the three little one outside while they were studying so they wouldn't have any distractions. Pa and Kollie kept to themselves busy in the barn doing who knows what. When Ma asked and looked outside, they just said: “just tinkering that's all dear.” She smiles and went back inside the house.


Then if you think that wasn’t bad enough as there was a knock at the door as Aunt Lizzy answered the door. “Come right on in we are just about ready Mr. Faith,” she said.


“Lizzy please just Jaydan would be fine,” he said as he takes her hand as she giggles like a schoolgirl and blushes red. Mary collects the papers so she and Aunt Lizzy can grade them while their teacher Mr. Faith has a special surprise for the boys as he walks into their little study hall. “Hello boys,” he smiled handing them each some music that is not on the assignment; then hands the aunts a flyer of a little competition that is being held at the school among the choirs this fall.


The Aunts eyes light up and running taking the flyer into the kitchen to show Martha and Rena. It was pandemonium of excitement as they all rushed into the study were the boys were. Giving them all a hug and kiss on the cheek watching them turn red in front of the teacher. The only ones not excited were the boys as they rolled their eyes looking down at the music wondering what all the excitement was all about. The boys opened their folders finding each invitation to the competition as a barbershop group nearly fainted as they looked at Mr. Faith then at the ladies sitting on the couch.


Without pause Mr. Faith lined them up accordingly as a group, pulling out his harmonica for pitch for them to sing. They did a few scales to warm them up as the aunts their Ma's and sisters' flutter. Mr. Faith whispering silent among them. As Mr. Faith gave a quick node to them for quite as he taps his wand pulls out his music that he wanted them to sing. The ladies took out tissue too dot their eyes as they sang in unison standing in a line.


He smiled waving his wand in the air then setting it down giving them applause, “well-done boys,” he said shaking each of their hands then turning to the ladies thanking them for a lovely evening as they invited him to stay for dinner in which he did.  The boys rolled their eyes. Then leaving them to their studies as they’d continued writing an essay for English and one for History after that they were free at last from and the torture was over for the day at long lasted as they hurried outside to play on the Whitmore's farm.


Aunt Lizzy sat on the porch with Mr. Faith helping her grade their homework shaking his head. “This more homework than they give in three weeks Liz, I'm sure of it those double-crosser's,” he said shaking his head watching the boys play in the yard.


But Lizzy paid him no mind, “a promise is a promise Jaydan and it will be done by Monday,” she said as she sighs placing the work on a stack of completed work; tying it up neatly so it doesn't come lose then placing it back into a suitcase marked boy's homework and books.


Rena walked out to ring the bell for dinner as Wayne and Kollie come out of the barn with Richard with hands and face black and clothes dirty laughing, Richard said. “Yes sir Mr. Whitmore it needs a new fan belt and new spark plugs and couple new tires should be as good as new,” Richard said


“Thanks, Richard,” he said slapping him on the back.


Rena seeing them walking into her nice clean house nearly has a cow right then and there yells “stop!” Tinkering right, oh no you don't if you think you are going walking in here looking like that no sir. You might as well eat out in the barn,” she said with an icy cold stare. Then burst out laughing at the sight of them, passing a wash tub of warm soapy water to them for them to wash up in placing a box for their dirty clothes and some towels. “Now hurry up and bathe quickly boy's dinners waiting.”


Wayne I put some fresh clothes down there for you and Richard,” she said rolling her eyes with Martha by her side laughing at the three of them, “Now scoot,” giving them each a swift kick to get them going. Rena and Martha in the kitchen waiting for the men to finish cleaning up visited with Mr. Faith.  “I thought there was something fishy going on when I saw all that homework” Rena said nods her head. “What's done is done” she sighs “at least it done for now. Just need to keep it fresh in their minds is going to be the problem.” Rena replied.


“Martha dear can you come in here please?” Wayne asked looking at the fresh clothes they want them to wear.


“What's the matter, dear?” She asked.


Wayne holding up the bright yellow kitenge, “I can't wear this,” he said.


“Why not dear? You are the one that said clothes don't make the person remember dear,” She said.

 

“Yes dear…  But,” he tried to reply.


“No buts... the boys have been wearing them all summer long so has Doc. You don't see them complaining do you?”


“But...” he tries to reply.


“Now just put it on stop whining,” she said giving him an icy cold stare. “Look at Richard, he doesn't seem to mind,” watching him go down the hall doing a quick twirl in his green one thinking nobody is watching, “now come on dear, dinners getting cold,” she said. Wayne sighs and follows her down the hall to the kitchen where everyone is gathered. Nobody says a word as Richard or Wayne sits at the table wearing the kitenge. For them, it doesn't matter what they wear as they pass the meat and rolls down the table to each other.


“As I was saying,” Jaydan placing the peas on his plate, “I believe the boys have a good chance of doing quite well in the competition with little more practice of course. Tell me Martha do any of your lovely daughters play the piano?” He asked.


“Sorry Mr. Faith we never even owned one,” she replied.


“I see, too bad,” he paused pausing down the rolls and the butter down the table. “I do know where I could get a second hand one for you and provide piano lesson if you would like,” he said.


The girls all get excited thinking of the possibilities of learning how to play the piano. Wayne leans over to his wife, “dear what are talking about? What competition is he referring to?” He asked.


“Later dear,” she said watching the girls smile with excitement.

“That would be wonderful to learn, are sure you have enough time, you are awfully busy as a teacher as I understand?” Martha said nodding to the boys.


“It would be my pleasure,” he said as he takes Lizzy hand under the table. “In fact, I am planning to settle down here for a while myself and build a nice house to look over the country setting, to admire few sunsets and do little farming in the spring.” Watching Lizzy cheeks turn blushing red and a twinkle in her eye,” gaze over at EJ for a moment wondering as he looks at the nearly healed wound on his hand as he thinks of the report he got last regarding Morgan from Margaret and his two friends Bowden and Derrick. After dessert and some light conversation, everyone left for home.


Jaydan gazes slowly across the fields feeling the chill as dark thoughts and shadows seem close. He does a quick nod with the wave of his hand and slowly dissipates around the corner. For the time he knows is short as he walked down the corridors to his study with Morgan on his mind. “Something is not right,” he said as he paced across the floor, “but what?” He asked petting a stone figured cat with rubies eyes as he stares at the knife that his friend Derrick brought him from Margaret. The knife was stained with the boy’s blood. It still glows as it sits in the glass case undisturbed. Jaydan ponders as he reads and studies the transcript left behind lying on his desk.


His eyes light up as his face goes dark, he screams “NO!” as he rushed down the corridors of time knowing now what and who has been released from Cross Bone Gate Prison. He hears laughter as Morgan fades through the walls back into his domain. Jaydan knows without a doubt that the prophecy is, and has come true regarding the Dark Prince as he slowly crashes to the ground from spell placed on him by Morgan, his eyes closed drifting into a deep nightmarish sleep. Morgan stands beside him his eyes glow as he picks up the knife now laying on the ground beside Jaydan.



* * *

 


“What a nice fella Mr. Faith is Wayne, he sure sweet on Lizzy; did you see how every time they looked at each other their face light up. Ahhhhh young love” as Martha sighs. Wayne pulls back in front of the cottage picking up the small boys taking them in the house setting them on the mattress on the floor as Martha helps them get ready for bed.


Everyone is tired from a long hard day on the Whitmore farm as they yawn and go to bed. Ma and Pa tucked everyone into bed doing the rounds and sighs a happy sigh, “It’s so good to have them all here under one roof and almost home dear.” She said looking at her boys in their bed and girls in theirs. Martha and Wayne go outside under the moonlit sky for a walk towards the farm. Wayne putting his arms around her lovingly as they walked towards the farm downs the road. Finding a nice secluded spot under a nice tree near their farm where they can see their house being built. All is quiet except for the sound of crickets chirping their soft music from their wings like soft violins floating in the air.


Wayne could feel the warm gentle breeze of the night air rustling through her hair as he peers deep into her deep blue eyes, folding his arms around her. Pulls her closely to his chest then leans back her head gently for a sweet kiss under the moonlight of stars from her man of the moon. Martha wrapped deeply in her thoughts of love for this man and her children, embraces him as she melts into his arms under the moonlit stars. Wayne whispers gently into her ears, “Martha my dear do know how much I love you?” He asks as they embrace once more.


She whispers softly, “Yes my darling I do,” as they kiss under the stars under the moon. Martha against her man and the moon in his arms sighs. They sat and talked about Danny and EJ and the rest of the children and the new house and when it might be finished. “Really Wayne that soon?” She asked as she looks at him then back at the house.


“Yes, dear, in fact, we were just planning a shopping trip for the large appliance and furniture this weekend. That was until Peter's grandmother passed away. That's why we needed you here and Kollie needed his wife so they could file the paperwork for Peter before time runs out.” He said as they talked about this and that for a bit longer before turning back to the cottage checking on the children one more time before turning in themselves.


C**k doodle do as the rooster crows at Whitmore farm and just over the horizon of the Downing Cottage Martha and Rena in the kitchen preparing breakfast for their families before the start of the day before getting ready for the funeral. “Come on sleep heads rise and shine,” she said as Ma gives each boy a nudge out of bed. The boy's all yawn turning over on the other side as Ma leaves the room. Pa ready for the day reading the paper making an inventory list thing they need to do and too buy.


Ma and the girls in the kitchen, Ma taking food inventory shaking her head at Pa and the boys then laughed at them. “Stubborn foolish boys,” as Julie and Anna take feathers down the hall sneaking into the room grabbing one foot then the other, working their way down their back of their neck then down their sides. Then a war started as feathers fly and pillows are tossed across the room at each other. You could hear laughing down the hall. “Yes, it was good to be home.” She gently yells “alright boy's, breakfast will ready soon fresh towels are in the bathroom, hurry boys we have a lot to do today,” she called.


“Yes Ma, yes Ma’am,” the boys laughed down the hall. The boys quickly bathed and gathered around the table for breakfast as Ma served her special French toast with sausage and orange juice with milk and cranberry muffins and fresh eggs from the chickens. Ma and Pa with smiles on their faces looking at their little family gathered around the breakfast table. Right now it couldn't be more complete in their minds looking at the three small boys next to the girls and four on the other side with Ma and Pa on the opposite side. It did not matter to them who was who, to them they where all one family as they smiled. Elbow to elbow cramped as it may have seemed. Nobody minded of course as Ma helps Danny cut up his food and set some more on his plate.


After breakfast, they cleared the table together. “Ma let us help you with that,” Robert said finishing the dishes, EJ and Will wipes down the counter putting the dishes away. Ma and the girls in amazement and watched as Pa smiles at his boys, continue making a list of things for the house they will need. They all dressed in their splendor headed over to the Whitmore farm with the aunts. As they all head over to the cemetery with their friends to bury Peter's grandmother.


A small whispering in the wind was felt around them, with a small voice that some may only hear. Leaving a small kiss on Peter's cheek as she says, “Farewell my son, you'll be ok;” and disappears as Peter leaves a rose on his grandmother's headstone with his new parents by his side. They put their arms around him holding him close and leave the cemetery together. With a tear in Peter's eye he whispers, back “I love you to grandmother and thank you.”


Aunts and Grandma Stuart and the town prepared lunch for the boys back at the New Downing Squire spreading out the tables with music and dancing to lighten the mood and games for the kids all day. Ma looking down the road towards the farm and down the other way towards EJ’s home; she worried about something that Aunty M told her and what Wayne told her about Danny and the girls. Something just doesn't feel right as she looks down the road.

Wayne
noticing his wife bends her overtaking her hand to dance to keep her mind occupied as he keeps eye on his girls dancing with Ned and Bill. “May I have this dance madam Downing,” as he leans forward and offering his hand. She smiles and walks with him out to the dance floor.


Granny was busy as well dancing with her fella Mr. Golden Eyes as he sweeps her into his arms across the dance floor, holding her close to him with her laughing like a spirited young schoolgirl with a twinkle in her eyes.


Grandma in the corner with the girls at the table giving Martha and Wayne a nod and a smile watching Richard dancing with a young lass of his own with yellow hair and dark brown eyes, hoping maybe this might be the one. Lizzy as well getting her feet wet taking her fella Mr. Faith across the floor as Martha, Wayne noticed as he twirls Martha across the dance floor. “Oh my,” she smiles and giggles with a blush. They danced the afternoon before heading back to the cottage to change and prepare for tomorrow as the boys all head back to school.


The aunts coming over too quiz them one more time on their homework before the big day as they take them back to school with all their homework finished and ready for that tests and have a good talking to about promises filled and needed to be kept. The Downing's and the Whitmore spent all day together on the farm. While girls did the shopping for the grocery; after all they figured the boys needed time to play, leaving them, alone for the rest of the day while the ladies spent the day in town.


Taking their lists they were off to New Downing then on to Payson taking both cars. “Alright boys will be home late,” they said putting their hands on their hips,” try not to get into any trouble,” Martha replied. The boys helped the Whitmore boys mend fences while Pa and Mr. Whitmore took a survey of the land. Making a list of things he was going to need in the spring due it was getting too late for planting as they reached down and pick up some of the soil running it between their fingers.

Frank and Mark were busy cleaning out the barn creating a burn pile of old hay and cleaning stalls for horses. Yes, sir, there was plenty of work for them to do while the ladies were in town as they played and worked with their friends on the farm.


“Rena, what do think of this color for the kitchen? A nice sunny yellow or maybe an off white,” Martha asked.


“Oh I like that peach for the bathroom,” Julie said

 

“Ma, me to it gives off such a warm feeling,” Anna said.


“Do you really think we will be in our new house that soon?” Julie asked as Ma nods.


“Yes, girl’s that's what your Pa says. Now then let’s see what else we can find.” Ma said handing them each a list and pad and pencil, picking up a few catalogs on their way out of each store. They filled their cars to the brim with all kinds of things for the new house and groceries too. If you know how most women like to shop, that is one is not enough when you can have three instead or maybe four pairs of shoes. It doesn't match the color of your eyes and I'm sure your husband won't mind as they smile and laugh and buy him another tie.


Rena and Martha are not this way at all, they rather spend money wisely and on their family first before themselves as they say “yes it would be nice,” as they set them back on the shelf and giggle. Then look at fabric and things they can make for the house and children and asking the store clerk manager where they purchase their fabric from and supplier. Would they consider buying fabric from them? Martha asking the store manager leaving an address of their cotton mill and phone number on a card and some information; the ladies shopped a few more stores before returning home finding the men starting dinner for all them.


“Oh it’s so nice to have a man around the house you must say, Rena,” Martha said and Rena watches her boys and their husbands set the table for them without even a pause. 


After they put the groceries away they gathered around the table discussing the day and the Whitmore farm. “I was just telling your husband Kollie that we would be over sometime next week to plow his field and prep it for next years planting season, Rena if that's alright with you? I think he'll make a fine farmer,” Wayne said passing down the meat and the gravy.


After dinner and they had some light conversation before going home to their cottage down the road. They were filled with warmth of friendship for each other tired, but happy; yet sad, missing their own farm as they pondered. They tuck the kids into bed making the rounds like they do every night, thanking them and making sure they tell them they love them with a kiss on the cheek as they tuck them all into bed. As they themselves go to bed as they embrace each other in lover’s arms.



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

61 Views
Added on February 14, 2019
Last Updated on January 19, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep