Chapter 20

Chapter 20

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 20


When the dawn rose over the mountain Doctor Morgan was busy about his work. Who knows what he is up to as they look down the road? The day flies by as normal for some as the boys go to school and Wayne and Richard worked on the house. Except for Martha, she had a different task in mind as she visited the two Aunts; to see if they could help solve her problem of Richard or give her any ideas where to turn to next.


Martha knocked on the door of the cottage only finding Mary at home as Mary offers a spot of weak tea due too the baby with some fresh milk and seat by the fire. “Mary as you know Betty’s gone home with the girls, that way she can help them better there, but the problem is she wants.” Taking a sip of milk and with her tea, “Richard to come home to,” looking downcast, “and he doesn't want to go just yet. And I need him here to help Wayne and there something else,” as she whispers looking around the corners and out the window. “I think Danny and EJ might be in trouble,” she whispered taking another sip of the tea with milk.


“Trouble?” Mary responded surprised.


“Yes, trouble. Let me explain,” Martha said. She told her the story what happened at the barn the day before and story of the storm that is coming as she looks down the road when the stranger came into the house looking for EJ and locked them out of the boy's rooms which seemed like a long time ago, but still very fresh in her mind. “That's why I need him just bit longer you see, just another month maybe two until the girls go home,” she said.


“Martha I was coming over to see you,” Mary said trying not to change the mood. “Regarding this,” showing the note she left for granny that very same note that she was going home with the girls leaving a way for Granny to contact her if a problem arises. “I was concerned about Richard myself. Now I know I had right to be,” Mary said taking a sip of her tea. “There's only one thing to do dear, it is for him to stay here and for me to take his place. He's no match for a bunch of stubborn women and girls not with those two, I would know. You just leave it to me, dear,” she said patting her hand, sipping her tea.


Martha feeling much better about confiding in her new friend as they talked while about the new house, how exciting it is going to be too finely to move into it in a few weeks. Watching Lizzy come in from town with the groceries for the week and visit. Mary catches her up on the news. “She what?” Lizzy replied rolling her eyes.


Mary nods, “and she wants Richard to join her in a couple of days.” Mary said.


“Now? How can she Martha,” Mary laughed at her surprised look and offered her a cup tea as Mary fills her in the happenings that's she missed, watching her poor sisters face color drain pale? “You got to be kidding,” as she looks at Martha. Martha shakes her head no. Lizzy looks at Mary shocked than out the window, “sighs poor Richard. No Martha he staying right here with you as long as he needs to be, we’ll see to that,” she said as she pours herself another cup of tea.


Martha thanks them both with a hug and leaves, heads back to the cottage to tell the girls the news about Richard before going over to the house to tell him personally. As they bring over their lunch, this time keeping a close eye on the boys in one of the finished bedrooms. “Oh, Wayne it’s beautiful,” as the girls danced around in the empty space looking out the windows.


“Richard I talked with Mary and Lizzy and they agreed with me, you don't have to go unless of course, you want to?” As the girls give him hug and kiss on the cheek begging him to stay. Then tickling him till he cries uncle with the boys wrestle him to the ground.

“Alright, alright I'll stay,” he said with a big smile on his face swing the three boys around the room.


“Now then,” Martha looking at the bare window smiling, “we women have work to do,” giving Richard and Wayne another kiss and hug cleaning up lunch heading back to the cottage to get ready for a little shopping of there own. Leaving the three boys with the Aunt’s to watch and keep a close eye on them while they are gone. They borrowed Richard car and were off to New Downing to set up a shop of their own for fabric and cloth. As they swing by Rena place to take her long, after all, she is their friend and partner and knows more about setting up a shop then they do.


The four ladies walked up down the square, peering into shops, discussing which place would be best to put one. Rena suggests high traffic for this shop would be unwise, too much dust and mud on the cotton and the prints, best try to keep it simple then expand later as Martha and the girls agreed to find a location near Docs Hatfield office. And right next door was dress shop for women as they nod, “perfect” and open the door to the dress shop.


The ladies go in and ask the clerk who owns the shop next door. “Nobody Ma’am, but I am new here myself,” she said as she hung up some more nice dresses on a rack to sell. “But if you are thinking of setting up shop here, you better talk to Sheriff Whitmore first and the Mayor to get a license,” she said as she points to hers on the wall.


Martha and Rena don’t say anything regarding the matter and tries not to laughs and ask. “So,” looking at her name tag “Megan Winslow.”


“Oh please just call me Meg, since I think, we're going to be neighbors and all,” she said.


“Alright Meg, did you make all those dresses?” They asked as girls admire the handy work


“Why yes I did,” she replied.


“Well then ladies I think we found us a new home,” Martha said looking over at Meg and laughed as she gives them all a puzzled look. Martha introduces themselves to her and watched her eyes widen and stutters nearly fainting on the floor.


“You see Meg we want to open up a fabric shop right next door, but like you said I'll have talk to my husband and the Mayor too get a license to make it legal,” as they all giggle. “Other than that Meg it looks like we're going to be just fine,” Rena replied.


The ladies left the store giggling as they walked over to the Mayor's house as proud as a peacock on there way to Sunday festival. Knocking on the door not finding him home instead find his wife instead. She invited them all in for a spot of tea and some fresh sugar cookies on a plate, you see she has a sweet spot. “Martha I do say, I and my husband sure do like it down here in New Downing. He's like a whole different person and I get to see a lot more of him,” she said as she smiles and dots her eye thinking of the long nights and days without him. “So how can I help you, ladies?” She asked.


Martha and Rena tell her about the empty shop by the Doc's office and how they like to turn into a fabric shop. “A fabric shop right down here in New Downing what wonderful idea. Go on,” she said.


“The problem is we need a license to run it and possibly some help, but first the license,” Martha said.


“Boulder Dash,” she said as she perks up her shoulders. “Now then you go open up that shop of yours Martha and I'll send my husband over straightway and I'll buy whatever you need too put into it to get you started” as she writes out a note and hands to her...


“But..." Martha tried to reply.


“No buts dear this is what this town needs. Cloth, you are just the women to fill it,” she said as she sends them on their way.


Martha and the girls headed back to the shop to see what they are going to need as they open up the doors, dust flies everywhere as they sneeze. “Looks like it was an old storage room,” Martha said as she covered their mouths from all the dust. Rena writes down a good cleaning out and a mop. Looking at the walls Martha notice there aren’t any shelves just bare walls and bare wooden boards write down. Wayne to make it into a shop as soon as the woman and the boys can clean it out and get rid of the musty smell holding her nose.


The ladies closed the door behind them with a note in the window Martha and Rena fabric shop opening soon places it in the small window. Dusting off their clothes outside looking back at their new shop with a new gleam in their eye, they walk down to Mr. River’s telegram office. “Hello, Mr. Rivers how's business going with the new Post office?” Martha asked.


“ Fine, fine your husband sure had a good idea, in fact, we're starting a third one down on 3rd Street as the town gets bigger right next to the newsstand on the corner while the 3rd street is being built. What can I do for you ladies?” He asked.


“Oh just need send off a telegram for some fabric for our new shop,” Martha said.


“You don't say, where are you putting this new shop of yours?” he asked.


“Right next to Doc’s and the new Dress shop.”


“Well, that will get business drumming around here. Say you thought of putting in an add in the paper or column in the magazine about the fabric store. It couldn't hurt that's what Ms. Megan Winslow did look at all the dresses she sells. Heck, she gets orders all the time from all over the county,” he replied. But if you are talking about that little old storeroom, I wouldn’t waste my time with it, its not big enough to do anything with maybe a small office, and I thought Megan was considering purchasing it. No, what you need to do is go down on 3rd street lots of new shops that would be perfect for you.


“Thanks, Mr. Rivers will do that, but I think the shop would work there because of the dress shop next door, but we will take it under advisement.” Rena and Martha replied as they give each other a nod.


“Just go over to Mr. Grams tell him I sent you, he'll know what to do. Now then let's see about this telegram,” he said. Martha, Rena quickly compiles a list of fabric they needed from the warehouse in Arizona.


Aunty M opening fabric shop... Stop.

Need 50 of every kind of fabric... Stop.

Need 50 of every color of fabric... Stop.

Morgan up to no good... Stop.

We miss you ... Stop.

Martha, Rena, and Girls... Stop.


They placed a five dollar bill on the counter Mr. Rivers passes the five dollar bill back to them.“ Ladies,” shaking his head, “you know your money no good here,” and smiled walks them to the door. The ladies took his advice walking into Mr. Gram's paper and printing office walking up to the counter they could see him printing the afternoon paper with his new helpers. “Good afternoon ladies,” as they nod their heads to him. “How may I help you fine gals?” He asked.


“Yes,” Rena looking at Martha giving her a nudge Julie and Anna smiling at Ma for being so shy giving her little more of a push Rena said. “Yes, we like to ask you about putting add in the paper and in one of those catalogs regarding our little store that we are about to open.” She said as the four ladies smile at him and bat their eyes.


“I see,” as he smiles, “and what kind of store are you going to open?” He asks as he takes out a note pad. Martha whispers really softly, “a fabric store.”


Rena could see that Mr. Grams did not quite hear her and announces it for her, “a woman's fabric store.”


“Yes, that would come in handy around here,” looking at his bare windows. “Will it have fabric to make curtains for storefronts?” He asked.


Martha shyness fades way, “of course it would Mr. Grams and all types of linen for the house and stores, that's point really,” Backing him into small corner staring him down.


“Alright, alright,” he said and writes the add, “so you are opening fabric store… well, I am glad and will be happy to oblige with the order when you are ready, I'll print the addition in the paper and make up some flyers and put in the catalog when you are ready,”  shaking her hand. They walk out the door of the printing shop smiling thinking of their new fabric shop now all that was left to do is make it into a shop and fill it up and find the help to run it.


They spent the rest of the day in Payson gathering food and supplies for the home before returning and dropping Rena off at the farm too wait for her boys to return home from school. Martha making a list of things that she was going to need for the shop. While waiting for the boys to come home from school and started to put things together in a little box. Like a mop and rags and lots of soap to clean the place out before Wayne could take measurements for her new shop before the fabric arrives. Taking a copy of the fabric she ordered.


The question in her mind was, where in the world is she going to store it all? And is it going to be enough? As she realized all the problems running a shop was inventory in her mind was bewildering and staggering in finding places where to put it all. What I need is a little storage area hoping Rena and Wayne might have an idea. She puts it off for right now and went on about her day preparing for the day to clean the little shop as she sighs looking down the road. The boys are finally home from school as she finishes pulling the bread out of the oven to cool and setting the roast in for tonight as the boys walked in the door.


Sam, Danny, and Ted running too the door to greet them, jumping all over them wanting to play with the boys as they pick them up in their arms then tip them upside down then rolling them across the floor as they dog pile on top of them to tickle them and wrestle them to the floor. Ma laughs watching the boys then lifting them up one by one handing them to Julie and Anna so the boys could change into their work clothes because Pa was waiting for them at the farm and it was time for the three little one's bath as they go down the hall.


The boys quickly changed and headed to the farm, but not before receiving a warm kiss and hug from their Ma before going out the door, yelling. “Not too late boy’s,” as she waves them on down the road. EJ looks back at her smiles and waves to her as he goes around the corner than Ma went back into the house and smiles then sighs. Patting down her apron and went back to work on preparing tonight's meal, thinking how nice it will be to be in the house cooking in her new kitchen for her family once more.


Pa and Richard saw the boys come up the road waving to them to come to the barn to help with the table as they load it into the wagon with the chairs. EJ looks at the craftsmanship his Pa has made with the table and the size. “Pa are you sure it big enough?” He asked.


Pa laughs, “I hope so,” he questioned it, himself. The boys carried the table into the house and the chairs setting it in the new dining room looks around the room. “You right Pa it does need woman's touch,” Robert said as he gazes about the room.


“Plus a few sisters we know,” Richard said.


“Hey now,” as Will slaps Richard on the back.


“They're not that bad,” Robert replied.


“No, just kidding,” Richard said and chases him around the room with the broom. Nearly knocking Mr. Stringum over as he enters the room. “Well, what we got here?” He said putting down the clipboard for a moment to look at the large table and chairs.


“Oh that, this my wife new dining room set,” Wayne said as Mr. Stringum runs his fingers over the table then bending down admiring the craftsmanship and whistles, “my it is a big one that's for sure,” Wayne looking around the house. “All that's left,” Mr. Stringum said picking up the clipboard “ is painting the rooms and the brickwork outside of courses and the porch other than that I say, hum maybe sometime tomorrow or next week or sooner. I'd be thinken about moving in,” he replied.


“Thanks, Mr. Stringum.” Wayne said and shakes his hand and shouts, “hallelujah” kicking his heels, dancing right then and there with his boys. Pa was so excited he had to go home and tell his wife as they all headed for home to celebrate the good news. Pa rushed in the door so fast that poor Martha thought that there was something wrong as he yells “Martha, Martha come quick!!” She dashes for the door in such a panic as the door flies open and Wayne picks her up off the ground kissing her. “Martha the house it's done did ya hear me? It's done. Except for some painting and the porch outside brickwork other than that it's done.” Kissing her one more time, “they say we can start moving in whenever you like,” and kissing her again knocking the wind right out of her before setting her down.


Martha takes couples of steps back to regain herself. “Are you sure Wayne?” She asked as he nods.


“Yes dear that's what Mr. Stringum said we can move in as soon as the painting done,” he replied.


Martha staggers about for minute looking at the cottage starts to yell for the girls then changes her mind whispers to Wayne, “let’s tell them at dinner and I have a surprise for you as well,” she said as she winked back. Wayne and the boys help Ma finish dinner and setting the table with all it simple home splendor. Ma looked at Pa and the boys on one side and little ones with the girls on the other. It may be crowded, but nobody seemed to mind. As Pa stands clears his throat clicking on the glass “I have an announcement to make,” looking at Ma across the table. Then looked at the boys and then at the girls he smiles. Taking a long deep breath, “The Downing's are moving back to the farm, the house is done,” then sits back down gloating.


The table was all abuzz with the news as Ma stands clicking her glass, ”I have an announcement of our own,” she said looking at the girls than at Pa and the boys. “As of today we are opening a fabric shop here in town, aren't we girls?” She said as they both nod.


Pa and the boy's mouths drop staring at Ma and the girls like when did this happen. This of course set the table all buzz as well after things quieted down a bit Pa discussed the happening with the new house and Ma discussed the problems they were having with the shop with finding a spot for the inventory and the cleaning out of the new shop and building the shelves and shop inside needed some work. 



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

71 Views
Added on February 15, 2019
Last Updated on January 19, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep