Chapter 20-2

Chapter 20-2

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 20-2


“Let's see,” Ma said putting her fingers to her lips, “this can go over to the farm,” pointing to the couch and the rug, “then, the coffee table.” Then there was a knock at the door. Martha opens the door seeing two men and the wagons full of inventory that she ordered and another right behind it. With Aunty M pulling another wagon beside of all fabric, Martha gasps yell's for Rena inside the house to come quickly as the drivers pull up. Aunty M swings down from the wagon laughing at the two women.


“Well don't just stand there gocking ladies we have work to do.” Aunty M said.


Martha gives her a big hug, “aren’t we glad to see you.” Martha said looking at all the fabric with a worried look then laughing at Rena shaking her head. “Talk about bad timing,” Martha said as Aunty M and Martha watched the boys reload the wagon for the farm, “we were just getting ready to move too the farm Aunty M,” Martha said looking at all the fabric in the wagons, “and the shop isn't ready yet,” looking at ground downcast. “Where on earth I'm going to put all of this? Wayne just going to…”


“What dear?” Aunty M said turning around in time to watcher start too faint, watching her husband come back from town with Kollie looking at all the wagons in front of the house. Rena grabs a chair for Martha as she starts to swoon a little. Wayne rushed over to her to catch her from falling to the ground. Julie ran inside gets Ma glass of water while she catches her breath. “Looks like I got here just in time Wayne,” Aunty M said as she pats Martha on the shoulder and sighs. “Now you just rest here a minute,” she said shaking her head at her then looking at Wayne and the boys. “She’s alright aren't you dear? Just a little stressed looking at all things going on around her,” she replied.


Martha nods slowly as the baby starts to kick at her side and gives her start. “Oh my!” and smiles at Wayne, “sorry dear, just got too much in a hurry that's all;” stands up, but Aunty M makes her sit in the chair a little bit longer.


“Now than,” Aunty M looking at the wagons, “Wayne looks like we have a problem,” as she laughed looked at Martha sitting in the chair, “a shop that's not ready, a farmhouse that's not quite ready, everything working on four wheels without its master,” shaking finger at Martha laughing at her stubbornness.


“Yes Ma’am, that's how it looks alright,” he said.


“Well then let's go inside and find a solution and I'll change into something more fitting and freshen up a little,” Aunty M replied. “So you say the house is finished except for the painting?” She said sipping her Joe and Martha her milk, “and the outside brickwork? Well then let’s get cracken. Well set the inventory in here for now and moven to the house. Next problem,” looking at the list “cattle drive to raise funds for appliances for the house. Well, I'll be... that will be fun for the boys and simple task I think fifty head should be enough Wayne. Now than Martha and Rena's shop let's see those plans, Wayne. Very nice, but not good enough, need a larger counter something like this,”


Taking her pencil, “and one of these in the middle to cut on and sewing machines two of them in the corner and shelves that hang like this.” Folding the paper up, “tell you what when you go too Salt Lake City will go into one I'll show what I mean. Now then as for as the shelves go see Stringum's he knows what I mean and the counter so he can start with your plans. So let’s get moving,” she said as she pats him on the back downs her cup of Joe and another swallow wipes her chin with the back of her hand. “Let's go have some fun,” and shouts for the boys to clear the room, “where headed to the farm,” she replied.


Aunty M taking charge with half of the list handing Martha a small portion of the list with Rena and Kollie by her side, they were in charge of the move. Wayne, Robert and Richard, and EJ loaded and unloaded things from the houses to the farm, while Aunty M took Will and Whitmore boys with her for the cattle drive. It was never said you couldn't be at three places at once when Aunty M was in town.


As Robert and Richard flicked the rains on the wagons as they go towards the farm; in the distance, you could hear “Yah! Yah!” From the boys and a slight moo from the cattle, driving them to Goshen on the trail with rope and a whistle from Aunty M. “Move along little doggies,” as she pats her saddle with her rope at the side and swings her hat in the air with a shrill whistle. Will, Frank, Mark, and Peter yelling, “Yah! Ya!” for all their worth riding their horses on the trail as cattle moved along their sides swing their hats in the air.


Robert and Richard racing each other with their wagons along the road from the farmhouse too the cottage being careful when it's loaded because Ma would skin them alive if anything got broken along the way. But on the way back yelling standing up “1, 2, 3 go.” With a flick of the wrist, the horses would leap into the air, start down the road neck and neck at the turn down the guile " splash”: up the other side. Looks like Robert wins this time as he reaches the cottage starts the next load.


As cottage was emptying it was being filled with stacks of cloth in the corners, where once furniture once stood. Wayne at the cottage Ma at the farm with Kollie and Rena setting up as things they were slowly brought into the house. While the men outside watched and inside painting the rooms. It seemed to Martha they couldn't paint them fast enough. As the day grew shorter and later in the day and cottage was empty except for the shop's inventory.


They all meet back at the farm for a late supper with smiles on their faces at the work completed as Pa and the boy's set up the beds in the rooms. Not having a stove too cook on or fridge or freezer for some of the food yet. They ate outside with a campfire as Ma and girls set the table with plates out of the boxes. They lived like hobos in a house, but nobody minded as they sat around the table in their new house with friends and family. With unpainted walls and no curtains and missing furniture here and there, Pa lights a fire in the fireplace to keep the chill off the house to set the evening mood. Even Mr. Rooster was happy to be home with the chickens and the cows Clementine and Rose. The horses in the field and not to forget EJ's pony as he leans his head over the fence watching the house, chewing on the grass in his field agree there is no place like home…..



* * *

 


“Are you sure about this Mary?” Lizzy asked as Mary packed her suitcase.


“I am Lizzy; she needs my help with those two girls,” she replied. Lizzy wiping a tear from her eye. “I know sister, just remember that you can't do everything yourself,” she said as she puts her arm around her.


“Lizzy... Lizzy thank you for being my sister and my best friend,” she said and giving her another hug. “Hey now help me pack and see me off,” Mary said. Lizzy helped her pack and waves to her as she went on down the road.


Mary arrived at her sister Betty house pulling into the driveway all the lights are still on. She could hear the girls fighting inside the house over their toys again while their grandmother is trying to get them ready for bed. Mary slowly shakes her head at the house as she slowly walks up the steps and knocked on the door.


Betty answers the door with a hesitated look at the girls fighting over the doll. Betty opens the door seeing her sister Mary on the steps with her suitcase frowning and invites her in with tears in her eyes, watching the two girls fighting, until Mary steps in. “Girls that's enough!” She said taking the doll away calmly, but sternly, “now get ready for bed!” pointing to their rooms. Mary and Betty watched with a stern face setting her suitcase down as the girls go to their rooms.


“Now that settled,” Mary said turning to Betty as she sighs, “how about a nice cup of tea dear sister,” putting her arm around her. Mary explains that she is Richard's replacement until the girls go home, that he still needed back at the farm for now. Betty understands was glad for the help as they tucked girls in for the night and updates her on the news of New Downing before turning in themselves for the night.



* * *

 


The Downing and the Whitmore's in their new family room having some light conversation of planning the events of tomorrow for their trip to Salt Lake City. The children were all excited about the things they might see of the big city and the stores and all its glamour. “Alright children,” Ma Downing looking at the clock, “time for bed so we can get an early start,” she said.


“Yes Ma,” they replied.


It was strange, but nice to be sleeping in the new home as Pa's and Ma's walked down the hallways tucking the children in. Three boys in a room Sam, Ted and Danny were first on the right of the hallway. All sleeping in the same bed for now until Pa could make new ones for them all as Ma sighs watching her angels sleep in a bed. She gently lifts the covers over their shoulders and laying a kiss on each on their heads wishing them goodnight.


She turned off the lights closing the door softly before going down the hall. Next across the way is the girl's room on the left than on the right. Brushing their soft hair as she tells each one goodnight dear and thanks you and goodnight then turns out the light. Up the stairs, they go hand in hand to the boy's room down the hall. Will's room across from EJ's room with Robert next to him one by one they enter the rooms tucking their sons into bed wishing them goodnight and sweet dreams.


Guest rooms where Richard and Whitmore's boys slept and Kollie and Rena as Wayne checks on Richard and the boys to see if they are ok for the night as they nod and wish them goodnight to and at the end of the hall was Aunty Ms room. Then walking back to their bedroom and at the end of the stairs, they pause where the nursery is still empty for now as Pa touches Ma stomach feels a little kick inside and smiles at Pa. They proceed to their bedroom hand in hand for the night wishing each other goodnight in each other's arms.



* * *

 


Down the road a few miles, the wind is cold and the shadows groaning wickedly around the Stuarts house, darkness is felt as the shadow leaps among the corners of the house. Jim and Linda tossing and turning as the shadow grew in their minds, whispering softly in their ears. One them screams out, “don't you dare,” falls back to sleep in cold sweat while the other falls on the floor.


The shadow leaps across the room one more time giving Linda a little a nudge with her icy cold fingers and cold baited breath. “You say you are the queen of the spider's dear yet where are your children you have none?” The shadow screams and laughs.


Linda screams,” they have stolen them from me.” The shadow bats her wings in the room, hovers over the room, spilling her ice-cold breath. Linda tosses and turning in her sleep from this nightmare. Pulling the covers over her head shaking until dawn finally breaks. With a kick of his heels and a crooked smile he tips his hat as he fades back into the shadows thanking his friend for deeds well done. After changing into his disguise he heads on back down the street for his appointment with the Stuart's. That will wait for him at his office as he smiles at the home rubbing his boney fingers waiting for the outcome.


“Come in, come in my dear,” he said as he takes her by the hand that is still shaking from the previous night as he grins at her discomfort and misfortune. “What can I do for you Linda dear?” He asked as he hisses like a coiled snake behind the desk that some may perceive as warning depending on the light in their very soul that shines. Linda eyes downcast looked at the ground with tears in her eyes nearly begging, pleading for his help and ignored the warning. As the man behind the desk pretends too look at her case and file as she trembles before him.


With words, “please help me kind sir get my children back, I'll do anything just help me get them back.” She cries and pleads, ignoring the warning as her heart and soul screams.



The man behind the desk hisses with a smile with his gleaming red eyes, pretends to look over at the file peering over at the woman groveling before him so cowardly. With his crooked teeth and nose and eyebrows raised he knows he has won the day. With one down and two to go and to collect his prize, at last, knowing his flesh will soon be his as promised.


Doctor Morgan laughs with a crooked smile he rubbed his bony fingers on the pages, on his old faded notebook of tormented souls. “Yes I'll help you,” with turn and a nod of his head, “but it going to cost you I am afraid dear.” He said as he smiled with a crooked smile helping her back to her seat. “I’m not asking a lot you see just something you have plenty too spare that's all. A simple thing to give, really,” he said as he pulls out his document of sign deeds of horror or contract of taking a life or a soul.


“What is it you want?” Linda asked. “More money, I will give it gladly to have my children back. I’ll give you anything all you have to do is ask,” she pleaded on her knees.


“Something you never really wanted you see?” He said not pointing on the page in fine print. Waiting as he gleams with his red glowing eyes “an answer to your problem.” He said as she hurries and signs it without reading it first like they all do as he smirks. Morgan smiles, “at last I have him, it will be so easy to get him to sign the last contract giving himself over too me. one word one little tiny spell and his mine thanks to his worthless parents. That never wanted him in the first place.” He said as he glares back at Linda. “His miserable soul is mine for the taking just like her husband so many years ago.”


Linda sets down the pin as she signed what she thinks is a bill for his services. “Now tell me what I must do Doctor?” Linda asks as Morgan rolls up the deed and signed the contract of her son’s life as he puts it away. Linda sits, watches him for minute wondering, “did I do something wrong?” Feeling part of her life drain as something had been taken, but what? “Tell me, advise me what I must do Doctor… I'll do anything,” she cries into her hands.


Doctor Morgan pats her on the shoulder with his old boney hand. “Now dear, not all is lost,” he said as he smiles raise an eyebrow with an evil gleam in his eye. “You say they have stolen your children and taken them out of your care? Well then just show them you want them back my dear and they'll come back,” he replied. Knowing for his plan too work they must be returned to her in full before he can take what is his unprotected. “Yes unprotected,” as he thinks of people guarding the young boy, he sigh’s, “another problem to be solved very soon, yes very soon.”


“But how Doctor. After?” Linda swallows hard pointing to the file on the desk. Morgan pauses as he swallows hard spits out the words turning his head slightly in disgust. For the poison, it tasted in his mouth just speaking the words. “With a mothers love and understanding,” He said as he frowns as it chokes him, nearly gags him at the mere thought. Yet knowing he must and she must do this too get what he wants in the end. He swallows the words as they try to choke him.


Linda's eyes light up with new hope thanking him. He signs the order to release her so her children can come back to her and placed her into her care of two friends he has had by his side all these long years that he has been grooming. “Yes Mr. Wells and Mr. Barns will do the job nicely I think,” he said to himself. He opens his notebook, flips through the pages. “Ah yes,” placing his finger on the name, “this will do nicely,” as he smiles and off again into the shadows to collect another soul, you could hear laughing as he dissipates through the shadows once more...



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

66 Views
Added on February 15, 2019
Last Updated on January 19, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep