Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Shep

Prologue


The road hard, hill rugged as his horse stumbles across the way, Rolen was a young man now, a skilled warrior like his father, he had just turned 30 five, and far as he knows he is mortal, just like everyone else in his home town of Galadriel or boarding near the Sea of Quratsa where rumored lived a Sea King. A powerful wizard king that fishermen’s called the King of all living water. Then again he knew rumors and fishermen that like to tell stories, about the last wizard war, that destroyed the castle high above the ruins of Galadriel which lay in ruins, that some say are haunted by the ghost of the long lost wizards that died there. He didn’t believe in ghost, and his Da and granddad said that all the wizards had died out over the centuries. Not anyone says differently are telling a tall tale, hoping to make a fool out of you.


He looked a lot like his father did when he was his age, blond hair blue eyes cropped warrior short… he wasn’t a large man by any means, but neither was he short or average. He was perfect height, standing tall at 7 feet 10 inches. He had strong arms from working at his father’s smithy and strong sturdy legs from carrying and loading large qualities of ore, and weapons. And other goods that need a good hammering. He kept himself in shape with long hours working his sword, so he could protect his people when the need arises, but in truth, he had a mind of adventure, mostly like from all those stories. Right now he had this strong tugging, towards the East, and lately has been having these strange dreams of a woman, with silvery blue hair, the prettiest woman he has ever seen. Every time he has spent time with a young gal, around the Bali time, he feels trapped and uninterested, as if she just isn’t the right gal for him.


“I've covered many miles as if driven somehow, me and my horse Sir Galen. The stars seem bright tonight over this planet Keyterwa. Ran into some grewicks a few miles back. Horrible beast with muscle back heads and sharp teeth that can tear a man's throat right out. But old Felton here which has seen better days took care of them.


“Like my Da said to me ‘Boy you take good care of Felton and treat her with the respect she deserves. She'll never let you down in a fight.’ “I asked once how come he called the sword a she with a man’s name. That was until I hefted it myself I then understood it for myself….Is that right old girl.” Rolen smiled as he looked at his sword as he polishes the hilt and lays it close to his side. “Yes fella's guess we better keep moven, it's still a couple of days from the nearest seaport,” he said heading down the high mountain path.



* * *

 


A bound ship is known as the Sing Mernia upon the old southern Sea of Yeldon waters heading towards the coastal port of Katerna with its Captain Gartooth; Gartooth was A Darzzee Pirate, the terror of the high seas, as he plunders for gold, and fine silks, He had holes in his memories, but seldom see another of his kind, other on the land, when he pulls into port now and again. They laugh at him calling him a Jardul, known as a fool. He hated that name, but people fear him never the less, and who wouldn’t when he used to be one of the Darzzee hitch men.


Some call him green serpent or overgrown Lizard something that crawls on land on hot rocks and sand, that children play with as pets. Or chase into holes trying to catch them until they turn and round and bite them, and find out too late before they get a venous bite and crawl up and die. The difference between them was he walked on two legs, but his bite was just as deadly, with his large sharp teeth. He got his colorful green and yellow scales from his father side and his white belly with large yellow and red strip from his mother side, and his round large eyes, the color of the blue sea.


His stripe not as bright now, even the one that goes from the top of his head in a short long arrow-shaped stripe, has turned to a lighter blue, compared to when he was cadeldar a young little tadpole; still clinging to his mother skirts. He hated the fact that he had to hide himself in long dark hood coats when doing business with the lands people; while out here, can dress more comfortably, with open shirtless vest, and comfortable pleated black silk pants. With large red sash around his waist, with his sword belt, strapped to the side, holding gold handle mother of pearl handle saber.


“Aye Captain the sea she be a strange one tonight as if she be pushing us towards the south.”


Gartooth having strange dreams of late, every time he looks at the stars… something seemed just on the edge at of a lost memory, yet a glimpse seemed unrecognizable. “Bring her a bought Kern; batten down the hatches Kinswoth.”


“Aye Captain.”


“Hoist the colors and prepare for battle me hearty,” Gartooth yelled issuing crew orders.


“Aye captain”


Gartooth smiled as the small ship comes closer in distress. Yet something was different as he watched his five lead crewmen working the decks of the ship. “Throw the gain line me matey.” Captain Gartooth called out.


“Aye captain.”


His crew boards the ship finding it empty except for whispers of wind of the old dead... Captain Gartooth opened the Captain’s chambers finding a corps as it begins to rises standing in front of Gartooth. Gartooth steps back drawing his sword. The Corpse Captain laughed. “Come now don't be hasty matey,” as he walked forward towards Captain Gartooth with a slight slag in his footsteps as wooden floors of the ship creaked with every movement. “Gartooth is that the way to treat an old friend,” Corpse Captain asked.


Gartooth voice shakes as he tries to control his fear as the Corpse Captain gets closer with every step. A slow eerie fog seemed to seep through underneath the doors. “Old friend?” Gartooth asked swallowing hard.


“Aye Captain, you don't remember me matey?” Corpse Captain asked; his strange haunting yellow eyes staring through the decomposing skull under the moth-eaten wide brim Captains hat; His old rusted sword dragging the floorboards as he came closer.


Gartooth headed back towards the door, his eyes weary of the room as he slowly steps back as the ship groans beneath him. “Aye perhaps this will jog ye'r memory matey,” Corpse Captain said as his eyes glowed and whispers of cold slammed the door shut.


“Sorry mate…Captain Sir,” Gartooth replied struggling for words as he swallowed hard and fast. He looked for a way out, calculating his chances. Fingering his sword at his side. “Aye mate, aye be haven seen things a lot scarier than you,” Gartooth replied trying to sound unafraid keeping his voice from shaking. “You can keep your bloody ship and your cursed gold.” Gartooth headed once more towards the door looking over his shoulder as Corps dragged his way over blocking the door.


“Aye, but you haven't matey,” Corpse Captain screamed with a shrill voice. The air turned icy cold as the haunting fog surrounds the room begins to glow. Gartooth stands turns seeing the Shadow King in spirit form of the underworld standing on the side of the Corpse Captain that he had full control over being one he is dead as a door-nail, second, he was dark reached soul festering with the most sweetest black heart he has ever tasted.


Older man now even with all his power he could not change his spirit form, it was what it was, and his first order of business when obtains the first Key of the 5 keys of Destiny and the stone glass heart endowed with the mother's tears. , his hair sickly white or what is left of it, hidden by a soft brown cap, with white tuffs of hair sticking out, his skin old and almost translucent, to the point you could see aging spots and his bones brittle underneath, he was large man even though he was nothing more than rough skin and bones. Wearing a faded black housecoat, and black pants and a pair of soft house slipper, his eyes were silvery white, with barely pupils, more of a tinny little dot. He looked about 90 in human years, but in truth, he was more closer to 2000 or more.


Yet something told you he could kill you without breaking a sweat. Which was why every one feared him, for his power could kill, even in spirit form he was still very deadly, but nobody knew in his current form he was less a wizard more so when he was still trapped in the Cross Bone Gate prison, using most of his strength, to possess those that he can, that has given them his very soul. Like this Corpse an old black pirate, that time itself has forgotten.


Gartooth drops his sword gripping his head, his head spinning as images of his past life come forward in horror. The Shadow King smiled, points to him with a knurled bare bones finger. “Kneel vermin, before your king and your master.” Gartooth withering towards his master shaking with arms stretched out prostrating himself on the floor of the ship. The door opens as the other crew members of his ship are cast down upon the floor near him.


The Shadow King looked down upon them. “Yes, now you see your true Master. I have found you Gartooth for a specific purpose that Morgan could not foresee, for he was and is a fool... A purpose of such cunning only you could do with such skill, revenge, and greed. Unless of course you rather wander these endless seas with these pathetic fools? When you could have such power and more riches waiting for you, more then you could ever dream of.”


“Master what must I do?” Gartooth replied not daring to move from the floor keeping his eyes on the floor in front of him.


“Yes, I see your willingness… yet what I ask is not so simple. The worlds have changed much since you been gone, my friend.” The Shadow King showing glimpses of things that have happened. “The Dark Price has risen yet the stars foretold of another, the White Solon.” Gartooth swallows hard as he sees the mirror images now fading of two boy’s Robert and Will Downing and Wayne their father, the last man was that Whitmore Man Known as Kollie, and his entire family… and everyone else including the old woman the boy's Grandmother who has long searched for and dreamed of taking her last breath as well as regaining his beloved staff. The rest was just an added bonus.


The Shadow King nods pointing to them with his knurled finger. “Kill them... Kill them all.” The Shadow King opens a small wooden chest; which held a compass, a black sword with strange lettering written on it and a black sapphire ring, and the long lost stone that Morgan gave him but most importantly a staff about 3 feet tall, a child-staff, as if it was a joke. “With these tools, you will be able to locate your prey and kill them. The ring provides you limited ability to mask yourself and if you prove yourself worthy perhaps I will grant more, for it is enough that I have found you,” he said.


Shadow King dissipates into an old bag of bones leaving falling into a heap in front of him. Gartooth on his knees next to his shipmates. Gartooth shivers slowly grabbing the black wooden chest pulling it forward off the dead sea Captain. Watching the skeleton eyes glow and mouth creak open hissed from the belly of hell itself.


Gartooth men running out the door as more skeletons meet them with branding swords from below deck reaching the bow of the ship. Screaming as they fight with glowing eyes. Gartooth swings over with his box over to his ship cutting the draw lines. As he watched his mates die turning as horror strikes his face. For the Captains Corps was now standing on the bow of his ship holding three of the wizard’s heads then tosses them to him.


“You forgot these Captain; see you and them in hell,” Gartooth watching him swing back over to his ship. Going down into the black waters of the deep, forever gone beyond Davy Jones' Locker; leaving Captain Gartooth looking down at the 6 wizard heads at the deck of his ship smiling back at him with glazed eyes. Gartooth knew now he was in trouble for he has made a pack with hell itself. And death would have been better, for now, there is no escape from behind the looking glass for him.



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

A pretty interesting start. I'm interested to see how these characters play into the world going forward with this story. Two small nitpicks however. First of all, we are writers and not necessarily editors. To me, there felt like there were a lot of sentences that were separated by commas rather than ending with a period. Just a small thing. Second, I'm not sure what kind of viewpoint this story is going for. Parts of it feels like regular third person description, but others feel like they are explaining actions like in a DnD campaign rather than a flowing narrative. Small things though, I look forward to what the story offers!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 4 Years Ago


Shep

4 Years Ago

thank you for your review. really means a lot to have some read your hard work. your i am not edito.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

72 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 15, 2019
Last Updated on January 25, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep