Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Shep

Prologue


A new dawn to a cold winter’s night Aunty M tossing and turning down the hall as the shadow draws its cold breath. Aunty M screaming in terror, “NO!” You can’t!” At the shadows in the room. “You promised, you promised!” As the cold sweat dripping down the sides of her face. Aunty M awakens as the rooster crows c**k doodle do.


Not waiting, she flings down the hall to EJ’s room, finding him still there just waking with a questioning look on his face as he yawns, “good morning Aunty M,” EJ said scratching his head, “need something?” Looking at her standing in the doorway


“No EJ,” as she tries to smile and kiss his cheek walks back down to her room.


Outside the snow has fallen as Pa starts a fire in the fireplace to take off the winter's chill, Ma in the kitchen baking Christmas cookies to take over to the Whitmore’s farm as they begin to look for a tree this year. 


“Pa?” Robert asks.


“Yes, Robert.”


“Do you think we could have the Whitmore’s over for Christmas Eve this year?” Robert asked watching the snow falling outside the window.


“They should be back from their trip seeing their grandparents. I don’t see why not what do you say, dear?” Pa watching his wife Martha take out a batch of Christmas cookies.


“Humm, what was that dear?” She replied.


“Rena and the boys spending Christmas with us this year?” Pa asks again.

 

“Yes dear, I think they would they like that.”


“Thanks, Ma,” Robert replied.


“Your welcome son now than go find your brothers get your chores done.”


“Yes, Ma.”


Julie humming too herself as she looks in the mirror in her room as Aunty M walks by.  “That’s pretty song Julie what is it?” Aunty M asks.


“Oh that just something Bill taught me a few days ago, he was, well you know, I can’t remember… strange,” as she giggles. “I do miss him so. Aunty M do you ever get lonely? I mean, not saying your old,” looking her straight in the eye, “but do ya?” Looking at Aunty M as she, her self looks in the mirror.


Aunty M smiles, “yes dear and I do know what you mean,” as she giggles brushing Julie’s hair.


“EJ?” Will asks watching EJ brushing down his colt in the barn


Yes, Will?”


“Do you?”


“Do I what?” EJ asked.


“Oh nothing,” Will said kicking the straw with his boot.


“Come on now Will this me you are talking to.”


 “I know….but”

“But nothing…


“Alright, I was just wondering what’s it like to be you. Do you ever worry about them anymore that’s all?”  Will asked while kicking the straw with his left foot.


“About who Will?” EJ asked putting down the brush and patting his colt.


“Them ghost’s, and shadows… you know?”


EJ stops for a minute, “tell you the truth Will I think about them all the time. They are not done yet. Something coming and you know who still out there,” EJ said watching Will look at the shadows from inside the barn.


“I know, but EJ you’re the only one that saw him,” Will said kicking the straw, “and its been almost year since then.”


“True.” EJ curious himself maybe they have him left alone.


“But still doesn’t change anything for us,” as Will puts his arm around him then throws him to the ground to wrestle in the hey below.


“Change what?” Robert asks walking in the barn seeing them with straw in their hair.


“Oh nothing,” Will said as they smile pulling him down with them laughing on top of each other.


“We better get cleaned up or Ma will skin us alive?” EJ replied as the boys pick the straw out of each others hair.


Ma noticing the boys coming into the house wipes the smudges off their faces “and what have you boys been up to?” She asks.


“Nothing Ma honest,” they replied picking the remainder of the straw off their shirts and hats.


“Go wash up,” shaking her head and rolling her eyes.


“Yes Ma,” they replied.


“Sometimes I wonder about those three,” she said as they push each other down hall laughing.



* * *

 


Linda looking around the room of their house, “I think we will put it right here this year.” she said.


“Put what dear?” Jim asked Linda staring at him as if he fell out of the tree.


“The tree, I think the tree would look nice all decorated by the window,” then rolling her eyes at him.


“Yes dear,” Jim replied.


“And when are you going to get my tree, Jim?” As she puts her hands on her hips, “I am not getting any younger and the kids aren’t going to wait much longer. I want to have a nice Christmas just the….” Almost putting her hands to her face in tears. “The five of us,” she whispers looking down the road.


Jim shrugs his shoulders looking down the hall towards the children room tries to comfort her, “he’s fine dear,” as he rolls his eyes. “They promised you could see him this week,” as he slowly walks away down the hall shaking his head muttering to himself. “Now she wants a Christmas tree,” rolling his eyes…..



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

A good chapter. Good conversation, interaction of the character and nice set-up for the story. A outstanding prologue.
Coyote

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


Shep

5 Years Ago

thanks i try m best
This is a good prologue. I like the raw common vernacular the character's are speaking in.
Now to follow Jim into the next segment.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


Shep

5 Years Ago

Yes Jim is angry guy

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

131 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 15, 2019
Last Updated on January 19, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..