Chapter 2-2

Chapter 2-2

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 2-2


Aunty M was busy being her Aunty M self, stopping first over at New Downing to visit with Granny for awhile passing Wayne and Mr. Stringum through town. “O there you are Wayne,” nearly stopping in her tracks. “Scott I see the shop is coming on well,” trying to find a way around them yet to be polite, after all, she was in hurry today. No time for idle chit chat. 


“Margaret, glad to see ya out and about,” said Scott as he tipped his hat in her direction.


“Yes, just need to run a few errands today that’s all,” patting her purse. “How're things with the boys and our little shop coming along?” She asked.


“Fine, just installed the counter, finest work I’ve done in years. If I don’t say so myself,” he replied.


“Good, and how’s Dave doing uptown in your other shop?” Margaret asked.


“Just fine Margaret, in fact, we had to hire another helper we have been so busy.”


“Well. Image that. Another helper you say sounds like things are picking up.”


“Yep sure has, thanks to this here town.”


“Well best not be keeping yea, Wayne. I’ll have lunch sent over in a while,” patting his shoulder.


“Thanks, Aunty M,” as he nods her goodbyes.


“It’s no trouble you know that,” as she waves them back down the street.


“Now then, where is that house?” pulling out the sheet of paper with Granny’s new address on it. “She said turn left on the old road then make a quick right. It’s the fourth house down the lane...  “Oh my,” shaking as she climbs the steps as chills ran down her spine seeing the old jug setting outside the window.  Aunty M slowly knocked on the door as Ned opens it…“Hi Ned, is Granny at home?” She asked.


“She’s in the back…”


“Thanks.”


“Aunty M, is it alright if I go over and see Anna for awhile?” Ned asked as his eyes gaze down towards the ground as he kicks it with the tip of his boot.


“You like her, don’t you boy,” she asked.


Ned smiled showing his teeth a little, “Huh, huh.”


“What does your Granny say?” She asked.


“That I am still too young for fella’s like me to be thinking the way I do about girls like her. But I’ll want to do is talk,” he said looking down at the floor. “That’s all.”


“Well she is pretty, I’ll give you that,” patting him on the back. “Tell you what. I’ll speak with your Granny, maybe you can have supper with us sometime this week, would ya like that?”


Ned lifted his chin looks her in the eyes, “you would do that for me?” He asked.


“I would... now take me to her boy. And find me her jug so we can sit awhile.”


“Yes ma’am,” Ned said, points her to the living room. “Granny we have company,” as he opened the door showing Aunty M through the living room door.


“Well bless my aching feet. If it isn’t my old friend, how been Margaret?” She replied.


“Fine and not too bad considering,” Aunty M turns her head towards Ned.


“Go on Ned fetch me that jug, the one by the window,” Granny said. 


“Yes Granny, but what about what Mr. G. he said….”


“I know what he said dear, but we have guests, and she’s an old friend.”


“Yes, Granny.”


“Now git,” Granny replied as she waited for Ned to bring her old brown jug and two glasses. “Alright, son leaves us for a while.” Granny sat back into her old stuffed brown chair taking a quick swig. “O that’s it warms me gills,” quickly gazes over at Aunty M in the room. “Now then what can I’s do fer ye child, seeing’s I’ m not’s as young I’d’s used to be. These blasted storms take it right out of me joints,” she said as she rubbed her hands. 


“Actually I am here on a personal matter Granny,” Aunty M said as she pats her purse and a quick looked out the window and sits down on the couch across from her.


“Personal matter ye say, well then this is serious,” pouring herself another glass. “Come child try some, made it this last year, me own special recipe.”  Well, part of it anyway thinking of Mr. G (aka Mr. Golden Eyes.) and what he might have added to it. That makes her body feel so young again.


Aunty M grabbed the jug poured a just a little bit in a glass, “maybe just a sip,” cocking her head to one side. “O my, that is something,” slapping her knee giving her an extra kick.


“Warms the belly to dear,” as Granny pours Aunty M another glass swollen it down hard


“Now then.” Looking Granny straight in the eye, “like I said I’m here on personal business,” taking out an IOU’s out of her purse placing it Granny hand.


“What’s this?” Granny asked as she turned the papers over in her hands reading the print.


“It’s a promise I made, checking to see if your willing to be part of the deal,” as Aunty M finished off her glass. 


“What kind of deal are ye referring to child?”


“Let’s just say…. Remember when you asked me if I might know of any grooms?”


“Yes, I remember….”


“Well, I do...”


“But I found me a fella already, I think,” as Granny thinks of Mr. G.


Aunty M smiles with a twinkle in her eye hoping it was true. “Yes, I know dear about that. Just wanted to know if he asked you the tie the knot yet?” She asked.


“No.” Granny looking her straight in the face, “he hasn’t, come to think about it, but I been sure hopen he might soon.”


“You are not the only one.” Aunty M thought. “I see, so you’re interested in him?” Watching her smile with all her crooked yellow teeth.


“Interested? Heck, I marry him tommra if I could!” Taking another swallow of her jug.


“But he left town on some business. A couple of days ago… Why?”


“No reason,” Aunty M placing the IOU’s back into her purse.


“Ye don’t think he out chasing another felly do ya?” she said as she gave a hard stare at Aunty M, starting loose it a little bit as she rolled up her sleeves. “Because I mean to keep him for meself,” planting a foot down on the floor hard. Taking another swallow of her jug eyeing Margaret sideways…if she was trying to still her man


“No.” Aunty M deep in thought for half a second. “Could it be? Na, he promised,” patting her purse. “No granny, he just had some loose ends tie up that’s all,” trying to simmer her down some.


“I hope’s so, because I’m not getting any younger,” rubbing her hands smiling than laughing at herself. Thinking she’d be the jealous type.


“Say now, thinking of younger. I promise your Ned that he could come and have supper with us some night this week.  Why don’t you come and bring your friend, will make a party of it.”


“That sounds like a swell idear Margaret, he should be back tommra. I’ll ask him… then have him stop by with an answer.”


“You do that,” Margaret helping herself to the door. “Now ya go easy on that stuff,” pointing to the jug.


Granny laughed watching, takes her another swallow. “Ahh shucks, don’t worry about me ever since that house burnt down. I allowed,” frowning “a jug week and this is the weak stuff as Ned keeps adden more water and vinegar to it. Keeps taking the good stuff away from me.”


Aunty M helps herself back down the hall seeing Ned. “She all yours,” shaking her head.


“Thanks, I think,” Ned sighs. “Come on Granny,” placing the quilt back over her taking the jug away closes the door. “She’ll sleep for hours now,” as he puts the jug back into the window of the kitchen.  Walks Aunty M back down the hall.


Aunty M turned back to Ned. “Come by the house any old time Ned,” brushing his soft cheek.  “Anna will love to see ya, just talk now.” As she smiles and waved down the road headed back to the farm and sighed looking at the time. “There’s some much to do and so little time,” as she patted her purse with her IOU’s.


“Julie dear ya mind taking this into town for me?” Placing some sandwiches and cookies and a large jug of hot chocolate and other things into the basket for the boy's lunch over at the shop. “Thanks, dear,” Aunty M handing her the basket, “now then,” Aunty M checking her list of things to do around the house. “Martha please let me do that,” setting her back down in a chair near the fireplace placing a blanket over her shoulders.  “You heard what the Doctor said Martha, you need lots of rest and as little exertion as possible.”


“I know. I know,” Aunty M shaking her head at her. “I am trying,” Martha replied.


“We all are dear now rest,” Martha sits by the fire watching the clock as Aunty M runs her house for her.  “I just wish I had something to do that’s all,” Martha looking out the window, “I hate just sitting here helpless.”


“Is that all?” Aunty M laughed ran upstairs to her room grabbing a bunch of cloth and some thread and Martha’s sewing basket. “Now then,” sitting it down beside her, “you dear have a shop and a window with no curtains in it and all this fabric that you could ever dream of,” laughed. “You complain you have nothing to do dear,” placing the shears in her hand and copy of the measurements of the window, “make your window.” 


Martha laughs reaching up putting her arms around her “thanks,” with a tear in her eye begins sewing her shop window. 


“Hey, Martha that’s what friends are for,” leaving Aunty M to her work, placing Martha’s apron around her went back to running Downing the Farm.



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

82 Views
Added on February 16, 2019
Last Updated on January 20, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep