Chapter 3-1

Chapter 3-1

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 3-1


“Julie dear can you hand me those candles please,” Ma asked.


“Yes, Ma.”


Grandma knocked on the door. “Hello Julie, the boy's home yet?” She asked.


Julie took her coat and the packages. “Not yet Grandma.”


Grandma smiling, “good.”


“Ma's in the kitchen finishing up the cake,” Julie setting down the packages in the living room.


“Thanks, dear.”


Julie waited for Richard to come into the house opening the door for him as she watches him put the car behind the barn. Gasping with a smile Richard winks as he walked into the house. “Mother wanted to surprise him that's all; you know how he hates birthdays?” He said as Julie giggled.


“Yes Richard I know, silly boy.”


“That's a fine looking cake, Martha, if I don't say so myself,” Grandma replied.


“Thanks. Grandma,” Martha said as Grandma helps herself to a hot cup of tea.


“How are you, Richard?” Martha asked.


“Fine Ma’am, just fine,” Richard looked out the window of the farm as if taking in a deep breath of fresh air.


“Richard,” Julie asked.


“Yes, Julie?”


“Can you help me with these decorations?” Pulling a box out of the closet.


“You do realize he going to kill ya when he comes home finds this?”


“Oh Richard, stop being such a worry wart and help us.” Richard sighs helped Julie and Anna hangs the banners and streamers around the living room. Grandma answers the door letting more guests in as they come.


Aunt Mary with Danny as he came running into the house jumping into Grandma's arms. “There's my boy!” As she gave him a great big hug and kiss. Martha leaned down kissed his head and checks him out as he tells of his little adventures. Sending him upstairs to play with Sam and Ted as she sighs watching him go doting her eye as Grandma pats her hand.


Martha looking at the clock, “oh my,” everyone, Aunty M should be back with the boys any minute,” setting the cake on the table.


They yell for Pa out in the barn. “Its time Pa,” as he hurries and covers his present he has been working on with a tarp making a dash for the house yelling,


“I coming Martha, I am coming.” He hurries around the back as the car pulled into the driveway with the boys. Aunty M ushers them all into the house.


Ma and Pa standing in the kitchen holding a birthday cake with candles lit as EJ walked into the house with his brothers. EJ gazed around the room seeing the streamers and the banners; tries to smile as he looked at his grandmother and Aunt Mary with Danny singing. Will and Robert put their arms around him to wish him a happy birthday as Danny ran up to EJ, gave him a hug.


EJ doesn't know what say as he looked at his grandmother one more time. Tries to whisper, but nothing comes out so he just nods. Richard came over to his side whispered. “It’s alright if you hate it, but looks like today you’re not going to have a choice. They have already won,” and pushed him towards the living room.


With Julie and Anna by his side pulling on his arm, “come on EJ,” dancing around, “this your day, let's have some fun;” placing a stupid silly hat on everyone's head. “Now make a wish,” as Ma placed the cake in front of him.


EJ looked up at her into her eyes and looks around the room “I have everything I want right here,” as he gives his Ma, Pa and his brothers a smile “you know that.”


Pa laughed. “Yes son, we know, but there's got to be something else?” He asked.


EJ shook his head. “Pa, I just don't know,” looking at his grandmother in the room just blew out the candles. Lets them have their fun. “I'll try to think of something Pa,” as EJ smiles around the room, “but Pa,” with a tear in his eye, “what more could I ask for except to stay home.”


Martha sighed looking at Grandma and Pa puts his hand on his son's shoulder, “nothing son, nothing, but right now you are home,” as he smiled “Because you know this is your home.” Gives his shoulders a squeeze wished him a happy birthday rubbing his hair. “So cheer up son, this day is for you as it should be and we are not taking it away from you.”


Ma made a special dinner that night with all the girl's help of course as Aunt Lizzy was coming later with her guest Mr. Faith. “Sorry I was late EJ, but I had some business to attend to,” Jaydan gazing over at Lizzy as she smiled back. “And I have an announcement of my own to make,” as he stands at the table. “It looks like we’re getting hitched.”


Aunty M smiles thinking “well it's about, time.” Julie and Anna screaming with excitement looking at Aunt Lizzy. Martha and Wayne giving their congratulations coming over to hug and shake Lizzy and Jayden's hand.


Mary cries with a tissue in her hand looks at her sister then gives her a hug, “are sure about this?” She asked as Lizzy nods yes looking at Jaydan and taking his hand. Betty almost in shock glared back over at Aunty M with a questionable look, but she just nods back.


It was a merry old celebration at the Downing Farm that night as EJ shared his birthday party with such grand news. “So when's the big day?” Pa asked passing down the mash potatoes and the gravy down the table.


“Well, Wayne.” Jaydan pause to look at EJ, thinking of the secrets he holds. “We were considering a spring wedden.”


Julie and Anna going, “Ahh, a spring wedding. While everything is new and fresh, how nice,” batting their eyes at each other, “how exciting.”


The boys at the table thinking. “Oh give me a break,” looking at the girls and their wonderment.


After dinner and some light conversation and to continue the festivities the girl's set up the presents in the living room, setting EJ in the chair near the fireplace, placing a kiss on his cheek. “Alright brother of ours,” as they smile, “its time” as they giggle. “Come on everyone take your seats,” Anna helping Ma next to him handing. Ma's and the girls present first that they have been working on. Opening the brown paper untying the string and the ribbon was a frame with a small picture of the family at the top, below was sewn with tread was the promise they made to him last year, that he thought was lost in the fire. As he reread each of the promises.


EJ and Downing Declaration of Promise


I EJ am not going to get out of this bed and I am going to mind his grandma and Mrs. and Mr. Downing I promise.


 

The Downing Family Promise

 

Pa Promise:

I promise that I would keep you safe son and that's what I intend to do. I won't let anyone lay one finger on you and will give you love, guidance and fathers caring heart son.

 

Ma's Promise:

I Promise to be the best, caring, understanding, mother, I also promise to treat you with compassion, love, dignity as if you were my own child to me you already are my son.

 

 

Four Brother's promise:

I Promise Robert, Will and Sam and Danny going to be his Brother and his

Friend, you are my Brother now and forever, Brothers protect their Brothers and love their Brothers no matter what we love you too.

 

 

 

Julies Promise:

I Promise to be the best sister, to love you to care for you as my brother because you are my brother. To tease you, make you blush and squeeze the stuffing out of you because I already love you.

 

Anna Promise:

I Promise to work beside like you are my brother as a sister with love you as I should, to help when you need me to be there when you need me for that's what sisters do, you will always be my brother and I love you too.

 


EJ looked around the room in amazement with tears in his eyes looking into his Ma's face as she nods and he whispered, “thanks Ma,” giving her a kiss on the cheek and one for each of his sisters and a hug.


“Your welcome son,” as she pats him on the back wiped his tears away with her fingers and her own with the back of her hand.


Grandma gave him her present next with a little wooden box and kiss and a hug shaking her finger at him. “Now don't lose it,” as she smiles and watched him open it. It was a brand new double edge with corks screw and 3 bladed pocket Swiss army knife and new bandanna with a set of fishing hooks and a thimble of string for fishing and roll of dimes. EJ gives her a hug and a kiss thanks her, putting the pocket knife into his pocket and setting the dimes back in the box for safekeeping with a questionable look at his grandmother.


“Well you never know,” as she smiles looking around the room then back at EJ smiling thinking all the mischief he can get himself into.


Aunty M gave him a rope for rope'n steers looking over at Ma and pair of chaps and another knife with a pair of boots. “A boy can never have too many of those,” she figured, “no sir,” as she rubbed his hair. “Besides looking at the pair he's wearn now,” she laughed. “He'll outgrow those in few more months, I reckon,” as everyone laughs.


Richard found him a nice shiny belt buckle and some more beads to go round his neck with a tiger tooth to hang from his hat. “Now you look like real cowboy partner. I get ya some spires for them boots, but your Ma would have my hide so me and Robert made this instead.”  It was a long Indian headdress with all kinds of colorful feathers hanging down the sides with beads. EJ placed it on his head. Man did he look ridicules, but nobody cared as they laughed till it hurt. Placing it on each others head doing a little dance in the living room.


Pa's and Will's present was last as they brought it in from the back door. It was too big to wrap as Pa them set him on it, “try this on for size son.” It was a brand new saddle made just for him as he put his legs through the stirrups and sat on the saddle, it was smooth as silk and soft as babies’ bottom. It fit him like a glove as he’d leaned forward and back and side to side. Pa was right; EJ looked around the room, there was more to wish for as he looked into his eyes. Getting off the saddle EJ rushed over to Pa and his brothers and stands by his family thanks them for the best birthday ever as he hugs Ma and Pa. Giving his Grandma a kiss and hug. “Thanks, Grandma for bringing Danny to,” as he gives him another hug, “for he is my best present of all.”


Grandma wiped her tears. “Your welcome,” kissed her grandson on the head wished him A happy birthday as they all leave for home down the road once more.





© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Great chapter filled with sentiment and love.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

80 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 16, 2019
Last Updated on January 20, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep