Chapter 12

Chapter 12

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 12


Granny and Ned in the first carriage as the gate closed with Lizzy right behind them. The man in the silver gown led the way bowing to another man. Lizzy and Granny climbed down from the carriage. “Martha, that’s Derrick Ryker the Mayor of this here town of Springfield,” Lizzy said as they watched the strange man open the gate and returned back once more to the party on the other side tipping his hat to the ladies with a quick smile and quick wink then is gone. 


Derrick calmly walked over to them “Ladies,” as he bows. “It is my honor and a privilege to have such guest in our little town of Springfield. May I be the first to welcome you. Now then time is short, we have your accommodation in order I believe and to your liking. We may be small, but we make do. Just ask if you require anything more and we will do our best.” taking each of the ladies hand.


Ned helps Martha, Julie with Anna and the boys into one of the carriages, while Derrick helps Grandma and Mary into theirs as Richard and Ned loaded the suitcases in the back of Granny wagon. “They are a little odd at first Richard,” Lizzy said noticing him looking at them bowing at the Mayor as he leads them through the street, “but you get used to it. You see as you probably of guessed he more than just the Mayor in this town,” showing her ring to him as she smiled.


Richard laughs looking back towards the other carriages. “Man are they in for a surprise.” Lizzy pats him on the knee. “And they say that dreams can’t come true, well I found mine and Granny too.”


Driving along the little town. Martha and girls could see little shops on either side of the town. In different styles of brick underlays; a baker shop putting hot fresh bread out the window shelf to cool. Oh, how it smelled so sweet and fresh as the scent went through the air.


A little leather shop next to anvil where a man and his son, were making tools and wheels for carriages and horseshoes that hung on a line. She saw a painter out painting with a set of paints on a strange canvas, unlike the ones she has seen in her world for held no brush as the colors themselves moved as if they were alive.


There was a book shop that sells all types of books. Candy and toy makers for the kids and the adults of all ages with building strange puzzles and games of virus kinds from all around the world. Dress shops and tailor shops selling all manner of clothing. People walking down the street in gowns in virus colors some similar like the man that brought them here, others wearing clothing just like them more down to earth more familiar to the country living or according to their trade and others in richly dressed in fine cloth in versus rays of color that dazzled the mind.


It was nice here not to hot and not too cold. The air seemed fresh and clean as if after a fresh morning rain. Further on down the street was known as Crofter Circle district a statue with water fountain flowing around it. Little tiny flowers at the base circled around it being cared for by little pixies.


The boys watched with amazement in their eyes as they fly through the air about the flowers with their little tiny wings fluttering in the air. The Mayor smiles back at the boys as they turned around the corner, a school bell rings not far away. Martha could see a little schoolhouse in the distance on the hill, boys and girls of all ages. Heading into class as the bell rang with the teacher standing by the door in a long robe of many colors of blues and yellows stripes down the side.


Mayor rode beside Martha and the boys. “We like to start them young here it gives the children something to do while their parents are out and about doing things that need to be done. The little ones go half a day then someone else comes in takes them on adventures, discovering new things then brings them home in the afternoon.”


“I see,” Martha replies watching the three boys with interest, pointing outside the carriage at the different things.


Mary and Grandma were having the time of their lives they felt like queens as they galloped along in the carriage behind everyone else seeing the sights of Springfield. “Mary I never felt so young as if I could dance the night away the air is so crisp here,” Grandma said.


“I know what you mean Betty,” Mary said soaking in the sunshine, “it’s like magic, but not.” Looking around seeing the green trees and all the flowers in bloom, “and yet we are still all alive. It’s hard to think what’s going on back home when everything is so pleasant here.”


“That’s what I am concerned about Mary.” Betty seeing a group of men heading towards the Mayor as if ready for a battle or returning from one, she wasn’t sure, trying to eavesdrop on the conversation. 


“The field is clean as you have order, sir. Judge Sir’. We found this among the prisoners.” The Caption pulling out the extermination orders against the boys and the Aunty M and another to find his other brother Danny and kill the rest of the Downing family burning the town of New Downing or don’t come back alive.


Grandma putting her hand to her mouth hoping she did not hear what she thought she overheard. Watching the Mayor look back at the carriages as Grandma freezes back not daring to move or breathe.


The Mayor sending them immediately to Nathaniel at New Downing as the gate closed behind Granny house in the fields. The Mayor quickly gallops ahead of the carriages pressing on, trying to smile as if nothing was wrong, for the moment anyway, as he looked back at the carriages.


He had the Downing family and EJ’s brother Danny. It’s the other three he didn’t have and that’s what worries him the most. With all the Morgan spies about who’s not to say there are not few here as well.


Near the bend of the edge of the road of town there were four large cottages with nice large yards for the children to play in and a swing and tree house for the boys. A small vegetable garden for Martha to tinker in and lots of flowerbeds in the front with a little wooden porch on the side and trickling down on the side of the house a waterfall. It has a cobblestone sidewalk in the front that led all the way to the house. On the side was a small stable for a buggy and a couple of horses to go into town when she liked.


It was beautiful as tears softly ran down her cheeks; the Mayor helps the boys and her two daughters out of the carriage. “Martha I have one more surprise for you,” taking her and the boys into the house. Sir Drealin and his wife Tina Lenfind greet them at the door bowing. “My Lady,” as he tipped his hat she curtsies, Martha turns to the Mayor a surprised look on her face.  “Are they?” She asked.


“Yes and no,” as Mayor laughed watching her eyes gaze about the room, “they are here to help and yes they know everything and were to find it and who to ask so I will leave you in their care. For I have things I must attend to. Such as they are, so please make yourself at home,” he replied as he bowed then closed the door.


The Mayor took Grandma and Richard over to their cottage with Mary finding two more people as well as helping them. He failed to mention as Grandma looked out the window the extra guards standing posted about the place as gardeners or watchmen more like it. “I guess you can’t be too careful the way things are.” She replied as Mayor nods closing the curtains for more privacy.


“As I was telling Martha, the Whitmore’s will be arriving shortly in the cottage right next to yours, that way you are all together. Lizzy and Jaydan have a little cottage just down the road on Lenders Avenue near the mountain and Granny’s is closer to town on Gorgon 2nd Street. So you are more than welcome to visit. You may find us an odd bunch, but we will grow on you in time.


“Like I said if you need anything just ask, you could be here awhile which is fine by me. We love to have you. If you don’t that’s fine too. Just remember two things. What you see and hear here stays here. Enjoy one another with kindness and respect large or small. If you do that you’ll do just fine.  Oh please be on your guard, I have a feeling that Morgan has spies everywhere including here so please be careful what you say and what you talk about and whom you talk to in the streets.” With that Mayor left waving goodbye down the street sending out his Captions too different location throughout the town……


Drealin was out talking with the guardsmen around Martha cottage while Tina shows her around the cottage. “You are going have to keep a close eye on them Drealin from inside the house according to the Judge. This family is a high priority on Morgan list. He wants them dead and will do anything to get to them. More so when he finds out that EJ’s brother Danny is with them as well.”


“The Judge had a suggestion since nobody knows except a few people that they are here that he can trust. Instead of hiding them which we must disguise them all with new names and identities. I am sure you and your wife can do that. You have done so well in the past.” The lead Caption replied.


“Yes, but these are children were talking about. Grown-ups are easy, not five or six-year-old boys, much harder to work with.”


“That’s why you are the man for the job, we trust you,” the officer replied.


Drealin paced back and forth looking at the cottages deep in thought. “Hiding what they can not be seen yet be seen.  What I need is illusions for three little boys and their family.” Drealin taking out a writers quail and bottle of ink from his pocket, he writes down a list of things he going to need for the boys and his mistress of the house and hands it to the Caption of the guards. “I will have all the measurements for them an hour.” He said walking back to the cottage, to find his wife and Martha unpacking the suitcases.


“Change of plans dear,” Drealin said putting the clothes back into the suitcase then opening a little-hidden compartment under the floor in the room. Tina closed the door setting the boys on the bed. Martha and the girls wondering what’s going on as they watched Sir Drealin paced the floor looking out the window then closed the curtains.


His Irish accent stops as he speaks more in a more modern English tone, “Martha it has come to my attention dear that we have to hide your family here among us so you blend in as if you were already here. Not spending the holiday as if were. Not as strangers from far off land, but as one of them.


“Meaning we have to take the country life out of you surround you as part of the community under their very noses. That means your lifestyle has to change and everything around you, the feel, the look, everything, the whole family. So you and everyone must have new identities including this cottage by morning.  That’s how much time we have my dear,” watching the room go still around him…


“But we just got here…!”  Martha replied.


“I know that Martha,” Sir Drealin said looking into her eyes. “Its just that,” puffing air “Morgan,” cursing his name, “wants you and your family really bad and now,” looking at Danny not saying a word.


Martha just covered her mouth nods softly as the tears start to form in her eyes she understands. “What about my husband and my boys?”  She asked.


“Word has been already sent. They have all the help they need not worry my Lady they are in good hands. Now then time is short and I must get all your measurements and prepare your new disguises before you leave this house. Not to worry your friends will know who you are as they to are being prepared this day; for we do not throw caution into the wind. Oh no, my Lady. Morgan and his spies will not get the upper hand.


“If Sir Drealin strikes with swords, for mine is swift and strikes clean. Now then Tina my dear sweet wife will take you and the girls and I’ll take the boy’s then I can send off for your new outfits. It seems that the first of my supplies have arrived.” He replied as he shoves them towards the door.


Sir Drealin and his wife quickly take the measurements of the Downing family, handing them to the Caption as he speeds off down the road. Martha could hear little tiny hammers outside the cottage while she and Tina prepared dinner in the kitchen. Drealin downstairs mixing potions and casting spells of enchantments from one of the many books on the shelves from the hidden library. One potion for each child and their mother, adding flavor as Tina brings down a plate of cookies and glass of milk for each one to drink.


Drealin carefully marked the glass then mixing the potion in with the milk for each child, placing a picture of the effect he wanted in his pocket of each one. Climbed the stairs and shutting and locking the hidden door to the room. Tina hands each child a glass of milk with his or her name on it. Martha watched the transformation take place before her very eyes as each child’s hair and eyes turn color and face changed matching similarities of each with a sparkle in their eyes that light up their faces.


They no longer look like farmer boys or girls as their skin changes to fair grayish brown and soft ears pointed like elf ears as their chins begin to draw down a little and square in the front. Their eyes rounded with a slight yellow tint and blue centers. Their hands and fingers grow longer yet pudgy with their tiny legs and feet stretching out yet stay short according to age some would say the age of sprucing tree.


Corner of their mouths widens to finish the touch of their faces. They were like a cross breed of wood elves and human children. The girls matched the boys with their long hair as it flows in the back as it changes to a soft yellowish gold and the eyes and hands the same as the boys, but longer due to their age. Martha drinks her milk as they watched her transform matching them.


Tina hands them each a cookie to eat and another glass of fresh milk to wash it down. Their voices change into a different dialog and tones, but they all understand each other perfectly. Martha looked around the room then at children and down at herself and back at sir Drealin as their eyes locked for a brief moment. “He wasn’t kidding about a change,” as she looked at her little family as she smiles almost wanting to laugh thinking what her husband would say.


Tina gives a small drop to the Jessica so she can match the rest as sir Drealin opens the door nodding to the Caption with bags under his arms as they drop off the boxes of clothing in the entryway. “Everything in order Drealin?” Caption looked at Martha them sitting at the table with the family.


“Yes, sir, step one is completes… any news of the Whitmore’s?” He asked.


“They should be here within the hour.”


“Good; might I suggest taking them through the back way considering,” looking at Martha and the children, “and the others might have already proceeded or do it before they come in?” It will be nightfall soon when the shadow and his spies are out more among us.”


“I’m aware of that Drealin. You just do what you need to do and I’ll do what I do best out here.” The caption said closing the door mumbling rolling his eyes watching his men walk up and down the road while others work on the cottages, transforming into elegant homes on the hill of wood elves, near the groves of trees. In town, another group of men is setting up a shop for Martha known as the Thread and Needle filling it up with all kinds of different threads, pins, and fabric from all over the world and little sewing machines in the window front.


Sir Drealin unpacked the boxes handing them nice yellow and blue gowns and matching shoes for the girls and their mother according to their trade with a letter where they will be working starting in the morning. “Julie my dear you will be working for Mrs. Butterfield in her flower shop in town” handed her a blue gown with silver that made the dress sparkle. “and Anna dear,” handing her a gown of bright soft yellow sewn with a golden thread which seemed to glow. “You will be working across the street from your sister at the book store with Mr. Merton.


“Now then Martha,” handing her a really nice gown of folded green that shown brightly as the stars themselves. “This is for you my dear and you have a shop called the Thread and Needle just two shops down from the girls. I understand you and Mrs. Whitmore will be running that one while you are here.”


“Now for the little tikes,” he said rubbing each of their heads. “You boys get to wear special clothing,” pulling out each a little suit with breasted pockets and short pants with lavender shirts and green collars and suspenders of rainbow colors. For their feet little leather shoes with silver buckles, brownish dark green socks and little brown derby hats with green trim to complete the set. “This is what you will wear when you leave the house folks going into and about town.” He replies as rummages through the rest of the packages.


“Now when you are just around the home, the ladies have more simpler gowns and the boys here have.” Sir Drealin pulled out little green leather shoes and striped pullovers shirts with shorts, knee-high socks and brown suspender’s, “they can also wear these to town if they like, but not to school except on when their going on a field trip or on adventure outings then it's alright.”


Sir Drealin paced the floor. “Now then once again we come to the hardest part of your new life, we have to change your names,” as he sighs looking at the three little boys. “You are going to be here awhile once we find that boy of yours Martha according to the last reports I have gotten. The only question is about this one and his real mother?


"Sure I can change how he looks and speaks there’s even a way that I might be able to get him to think that he’s yours. The real question is, what his mother would do if she knew you had him and is about change his way of life? The question is, are you willing to change that for his safety and hers. You might want to consider that the longer you keep her in the dark. Sometimes what is best for one child is not best for the other when he comes home just something thinking about.”


Martha knew full well what he was talking about, but the idea disturbed her. Knowing how unstable that household is. Just a little spark could sender her off and Danny would be in her path. She could not let that happen, not when EJ’s out there, she made a promise to her self for EJ sake that she would not let anything happen to his little brother as she nods to Sir Drealin, and she had enough to worry about as it was. “I understand Sir Drealin,” looking at Danny and the two boys.


Drealin and Tina nod, “alright then will proceed,” Tina goes to the door ushering in two wood elves and two pixies closing the curtains then locked the door. The older of the two wood elves taking his stick taping the floor six times as the pixies swirling about the room.


The room transforms into a forest near a brook of a large oak tree near a stream of water. Martha and everyone finds themselves sitting on a large mushroom surround by pixies and various little creatures flying about them. The queen is among them wearing long flowing rose petal gown shimmering in moon dust flying towards them with small trumpets blowing introducing them.



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

54 Views
Added on February 17, 2019
Last Updated on January 21, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep