CHapter 13

CHapter 13

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 13


Kollie and his family felt a slight tingling sanitation as they walked from their transformation. Eyes shined brighter, not a lot has changed. But some if you really paid attention from the corners of your eyes or if the veil of light has been removed, this is what you might notice; Rena, just a little bit rounder in the middle with short legs and pudgy nose and rosy cheeks and deep blue eyes.


Sliver and white lining her hair and when you looked at her boys all matching similarities like their father bluish green hair and soft dawn noses and rosier lips. The Whitmore’s felt strange in the clothing that they are wearing as if doesn’t suit them anymore. Their mother felt tight as the buttons begin to pop “O my!” She said grabbing one of the new dresses running upstairs quickly to change. Yelling, “I’ll be down in a minute,” closing the door.


Kollie and his boys laughed at each other. Gaylen handing each of the boys a new gown about their size that sparkled with stars and moons in deep blue, changing colors from time to time the moons and stars turned silver to gold. He pulled out a long cloak for each of the boys with a hood on it with a silver clasp of a crescent moon in front and a pair of striped socks and leather shoes made of green wool and hard leather bottoms with no buckles. “Cool,” the boys said as they looked at the gowns as they watched it change color before their eyes.


The boys run upstairs to their rooms to change into their new clothes. While the wizards spoke with their father, giving him advice and a warning with rules he must follow. Kollie knew it was going to be hard, but not this hard. Listening to the training he must go under as they explained he will be here at least week and still they will not let him even leave on his own and he will be having someone with him at all times to instruct him what he can do and what he can not do. “Strict was one thing, but this, how I am going to be at two places at once under these rules?” He said.


Gaylen handed him his robe with caution and one more reminder. “Normally you have to earn this color, it will keep you warm during the winter and cool during summer it has several enchantments which you will learn as time goes by.” His robe was silver with blue crest moons and stars with a green lining as it glitters in the light and his traveling cloak is dark rich blue, “which will hide you well in the dark.” 


His wife Rachael handed him his wand. “We just don’t give this to anybody, so guard it well, you will have to make your own staff. It is the wizard’s way so it becomes part of you. Your study will be made ready by the time you return from your first outing tonight. So change quickly the others have already left,” pushing him towards the stairs.


Rena and the boys running down the stairs passing their father smiling, laughing in their new clothes, “isn’t this exciting.” Rena replies as Kollie watched them go down the stairs back into the living room.


While Rachel went over the same rules for them and the boys. “These are only your outing clothes boys and when you go to parties. Tomorrow you will be going to school with the rest of the children, I’ll have your school books and your clothes will be here when you get back,” Gaylen replied.


“Rena dear please don’t be too surprised when you see the Downing’s as we said earlier they are no longer here. They will still be the same person, but different. You may see a lot of things that you are not expecting to see. Just remember to be careful and who you talk to and what you say.


“Just blend in as if been here all your life and have been away for a while. Their lives depend on you and the secrets that you hold and your families. Morgan must not get that information at all cost or his followers, his spies are everywhere. Oh, I almost forgot about your job, silly me,” Rachael replied taking out an envelope and key to the shop. “You and Mrs. Tweed will be working in a little shop called the Thread and the Needle to help you blend in more while you are here, Plus provided you an income and status in the wizard community while watching them under a watchful eye.”


Kollie walked down the stairs joining his family. “Pretty as a picture,” Rachel said putting her hands to her heart, “don’t you think dear,” she asks her husband.


“I just have one question, if I’m supposed to be back helping with the wounded in my world within a couple of hours, how I’m going spend time up here learning everything in a week?” He asked.


Gaylen and his wife laughed “You're not my friend, they’ll just have to manage without you for a few days and possibly longer.” They replied. In fact, you may find you won’t be going back at all due to all that is required of you here.”


Gaylen standing firm as he takes his wife's hand.  “Magic is and potion making are just not given to you freely. You must earn it and show us that you are ready to learn while completing the tasks we give you. It could be months or possibly years before you are ready to strike out on your own.” He replies stern lee with a smirk on his face.


Rena smiles "fine by me. I never did get to see my husband as it is,” she replied taking his arm. “Shall we,” gathering everyone in the carriage of fine horses. Captions leading the way to the dance hall filled with music and entertainment of various kinds. It was an odd bunch that’s for sure many different types of people ranging from race and breed; Tree elves, wood elves, sprites, pixies, humans, and wizards of all sorts of crafts talking among themselves; Bread makers, Knights, Captions and troops from around the village and far off lands. Traders and pipe makers and winemakers, glass blowers and fire makers of different colors as they swirl in the air.


Bards and glee-men in the corner strumming instruments of choice, telling their tales. Children of all kinds playing games, folks dancing in long skirts of spring colors. It was nothing like back home yet at the same time it was home somehow as Kollie overlooked the crowd in the dance hall.


Granny with her jug sitting with Ned as he watched what’s her name oh yes Brandy now I must remember that looking at who once was the Downing’s now are the Tweeds. 


Kollie and Rena with the boys slowly walked over to them, recognizing Wayne and the boys immediately as they nodded back. Kollie whispering to his family, “here we go, guys.” Trying not to look shocked either was the boys when seeing them, trying to act as if nothing had changed. Kollie quickly shook hands with his friend whispered, “just a slight change of plans that’s all, nothing to worry about.”


Arken looked down at the Kollie’s Rena and the boy’s smiles. “Glad you can make it friend, so how long do you plan on staying this time?” He asked in a new pleasant voice as he tries to act natural.


“O about a week or more, needed a little time off after all the traveling and you?” He asked.


“Same as always never know these days, dark times moving head down there. Pelts are getting fewer and rains, trees not looking very good, having to move campsites for better grounds due to the rains. The boys here are doing well in school Jasper and Grayson my other son Sylen. I had to leave behind due to the sickness that spreading throughout the company down there. I keep telling my wife Lily that he’ll be ok, not to worry, but you know how mothers are.” He replies as he made the introductions.


Lily stands putting his arm around her. “And why should I not worry about him with that nasty weather down there? He’s not a man yet nor a soldier. Even thou he likes to play soldier like his father. I swear he gets more and more like you every day. If I didn’t have these three little ones by my side Vanen, Alken and Sal and their three sisters I would plumb right out of my mind. There’s not a day go by when I don’t think of him down there and I only get to visit him from a distance.” Lily replies as she turned her head toward Rena.


“Rena, how are you? Has this man been treating you all right?” Placing her hands her hips. “If not I can string him up by a tree finds some roots to bind him and give him a good talking to. Alright, boys go on now try not to get into trouble. They have been cooped up in the house all day unpacking from the trip.  I swear next time I go, I’m packing light.”


Arken laughed “You dear, have never packed light in your life.” Lily hits him hard in the shoulder while Rena and Kollie laugh taking seats beside them. The Mayor comes over to the table asking Mary to dance giving them all a nod. “Well, aren’t you going to ask me to dance dear?” Lily said looking into her husband eyes. “It seems our daughters haven’t had any trouble find someone.”


“I thought you would never ask, please excuse me,” Arken taking his wife’s hand.


“Well that was interesting dear,” Kollie said as Rena caught up in the moment.


“What was dear?” Seeing the faraway look in her eyes as she looked around the room where the boys are getting reacquainted, find themselves not as before yet different in some ways as they explore quietly among themselves. The boys still having instilled with them who they are not daring to speak their real names afraid someone may hear them. It was difficult for them at first looking around the room, but knowing the stakes and where their brother is it makes the burden easier to carry.


Richard walked over to where the boys are and laughed softly. “Aren’t we an odd bunch I must say.” Putting his arms around the boys walking them away from the crowd where they can talk a little bit more freely undisturbed.


The Mayor walking towards them unseen smiling at the boys “I thought.” As they all jumped with goosebumps. “I thought you might try something like this boys.” shaking his head. “Don’t you know this is not a safe place? Anyone could sneak up like I did listen in on the conversation. If you need to talk, I have made arrangements back at the house. Just tell Drealin he will make the room available. Now get back inside before anyone notices you missing.”


The Judge looked down the road of the little town seeing shapes hopping from one house to another in the moonlight. “I knew it,” walking back inside passing the guard whispering into his ear as the guard bows swiftly passing the word down the line. Mayor taps Kollie on the shoulder. “Might I have word with you?” The Mayor looked across the room as he nodded to his guards.


“I guess so, why?” Kollie asked.


“I’ll explain once were safe.” The Mayor replied. Kollie and his wife followed the man outside and down the street into a building as he locked the door. “First of all, I would like to apologize for not introducing myself earlier to you. You see I am the Mayor of this town and believe it when I tell you I’m also the Judge of Time of this world and of many worlds like yours.”


“So far what I have seen. I could believe anything at this point,” Kollie said.


“I am glad because what I am about to tell you is under strict confidence which I can’t tell you here.”  The Judge taking his hand raising it once as the room changes as the stars form around them as they stand on a platform of light. Other people are in the room as if in a court chamber. The Judge bowed before them on bended knee. “I have brought them here so you may witness the path that is set before them; for it is them that must choose for the greater good that is placed upon them, for the fruit of generation of their seed henceforth.”


The Judge placing a golden cup and silver mantles in front of them explains the path that is set before them showing the worlds at their feet, raising his staff once more. “What I’m about to do has not been done for generations,” placing the staff on Kollie shoulders then his wife’s. “I am giving you the gift of healing of all things and the skill of learning. By drink this cup before you your life and time will be boundless for generations as you travel through the stars healing, the sick and the afflicted, of all things great and small. Putting on the mantle of light gives you the skills to fortify your protection against the darkness into helping others around you as fight for their safety.


“For it is now written in the stars and your path is clear which is now your destiny as we set you on this journey through time not just in this world or your world, but many worlds. Doing good where the shadow has corrupted and eaten away, leaving behind its wounded. Do you except this before this council as we place these things upon you for once they are placed they can not be removed and server the greater good?”


The room is still as Rena and Kollie look about the room, all eyes are upon them. Thinking of their children and the secrets that they hold and chance to do more as they see worlds and stars hanging about them. Rena squeezes her husband hand then looks into his eyes then nods her head. “Yes, I will accept.”


Kollie paused thinking about home and his family and all that he has witnessed for himself. Then looked at his wife by his side for once in his life they get to share this experience together and their children and their children’s, children for generations. Having true happiness as they explore together, sharing together as a family. Most of his relatives are gone now except their grandparents, they might be able to visit later on. True they might not be able to live like they used to, but they will be together never the less. Kollie looked around the room one more time then nods. “Yes, I will accept for my family.”


The council rises putting forth their hands in one voice. “So let it be done.” The Judge handing each a golden goblet as they drink as the Judge takes three vials for the boys setting them on the side of the altar. He took the mantle of light placed it on Kollie shoulders then one on his wife as the mantles of light transparently fade. Their eyes light with a soft glow as the power of light sinks in and about them. The transformation is complete.


Kollie could feel a new sensation running through his veins as images and knowledge of truth filled his mind with a new awareness. Kollie looked at his wife as for the first time with a new set of eyes. She was more beautiful than ever before as their lives melt as one. Kollie eyes sparkle like diamonds, hers like rubies as they held hands looked into each other eyes as transformation completes. Soft tears of joy are felt as their tears ran down their cheeks as they looked into each other's eyes.


The Judge hands Kollie the three vials giving him instructions to mix these with boys orange juice in the morning. “The wand that was given to you will no longer work my friend, you must choose your own.” He hands them both a card from his inner pocket of a man who sells wands Vanderbelts Wand Company. “This to must remain secret among yourselves, not even the wizard sect must know what we have done here tonight,” he replied in a serious tone.


Kollie and Rena nodded looking around the room one last time as they all bow to them as they depart as the room circles around them as before. The Mayor walked them back to the party and to their guest.


Arken and his wife are just returning from their dance as time has seemed to have stopped for a brief moment.  Rena glanced over at her boys in the corner dabs her eye just a little. Turning around Sir Drealin and his wife Tina with their family enters the room walking over to their group. “What are you boy’s doing sitting around here when all the fun is up there? Mingle people; mingle.” Tina taking the girls over too where the boys are tapping them on the shoulder as they turn around. “You do remember how to dance?” As she rolled her eyes at them pushing her daughters towards them. The girls grabbed their hands taking them out on the dance floor. “Now that’s better,” taking her husband hand “kids these days just need to give them a little push that’s all.”



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

57 Views
Added on February 18, 2019
Last Updated on January 22, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep