Chapter 15-2

Chapter 15-2

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 15-2



* * * *

 


The Judge headed up the hill towards the Tweeds and Whitmore’s surrounded by guards. The guards saluted him, “you could be a little more discrete Caption.” The Judge stated as he looked around the place. “Do you want to give us all away.”


“No sir, I just thought…" Caption replied as he was cut off.


“I know, just have your men blend in is all I’m asking.”


“Yes, sir. Right away sir,” Caption swallowed hard “all of us sir?”


“Yes, all of you. Now go! I’ll be fine for a few minutes.” The Judge watches the Caption bow then run off ordering his men down the line two by two they go leaving behind someone in charge watching in the distance. Derrick sighed taking on “Mayor Responsibilities” once more. Relishing the thought of un-easier life less complicated as he knocked on the door to the Tweeds, Sir Drealin trying to calm down the family huddled together in the corner of the house. Sir Drealin wife at home trying calm down her children, Derrick placed a hand on Drealin shoulder. “I got this one. Go home to your family.”


“Thanks, sir,”  Drealin replied.


Derrick nods not taking his eyes off the Tweeds and pulled up a chair. He unwrapped the sword from its cloth bindings so they could all see it. “He’s dead. You have nothing to fear, your safe as I said I would keep you safe and that’s what I intend to do. Arken in the morning you will have two duties added on besides setting up campsites and being part of the search party for your boy. Your new duty with your boys will be combat training with swords, staffs, knives and other skills that I will place upon you and your boys that might come in handy.


“You ladies will also learn to fight as you protect one another from whatever dark shadows Morgan sends. You will not be defenseless as you protect what is yours while help is on its way. Knowledge is the key to all things as you learn from each other and grow. Unlike this sword, it has no master to wield it as it lays at your feet. For I destroyed its master and soon we will all and must destroy its master. Now I suggest you get some sleep for you have a big day tomorrow all of you.”


Derrick wrapping the sword back up.  He merely paused at the door whispering as a soft gentle calmness of sleep as he watches them all yawn then slips out the door. The Caption on the road nodded passing him by with two men pruning trees and roses bushes in plain clothing. In the cart was their swords standing at the ready.


Derrick nods tipping his hat making his way to the Whitmore’s and the rest of the Tweeds before returning home. Locking the door behind him he retreats down to his study raising his staff as he clicks the ground once, enters the council chambers and bows. “It has begun.” Unwrapping the sword, putting it on the altar. 


The council all stand in a circle laying forth their staffs as they look into the heavens as the sword rises into the air, bursting into flames. The council unites as they bring forth their brethren the judge of time in the crowning circle of light before them. His robes glisten in the heavens among the stars. “It is time my son.”  The head of council of light calls Derrick forth.


The high council of light stretching their hands as the power of everlasting light surrounded him, placing upon him the mantle of light of knowledge and everlasting light. Derrick's eyes glisten as he weeps for all mankind of what Morgan has done to other worlds holding them bound. He kneels at their feet as a man comes forth puts one hand on his shoulder and the other with his staff changing his robes once again to the brightest white, matching theirs among the chambers room.


“Welcome our brother, for this is your last season as you have found the light and taught well the meaning of light as we fight off the coming of the storm. Arise and go forth, fear not the darkness of Morgan for he will not bind you and what you hold true as long as we stay in the light.


“Hold closes your friends as you lead them into battle. Give them only what they need as they to grow and will find their way, drawing them closer to each other. You will now hold the light keeping it out of the darkness that covers the land before them; for it is them that must win this battle and carry on this victory in their hearts for every man, woman, and child.


“Not for glory or for riches, but for each other sharing the light, giving it freely to others. Arise and feast upon a new day my son, a new awaking is at hand as the stars gather in the havens. A new light is born this day for it is your light that shines.”


The man pointed his staff towards the heavens then is gone leaving him there alone in the room.  Derrick raises his hand watching the room shimmer as he, returns back to his study.  Derrick taking his new staff of light walks up the hill. Well hidden under his cloak in the shadows of time. Pausing now again as his troops slowly pass him unnoticed. He raises his staff as the wall becomes transparent to him as enter the home of the Tweeds. He moves quickly, but quietly as a mouse, moving from room to room.


With a small drop of his silver potion and touching each one lightly with his staff, giving each of the girls what he promised then the boys and her husband. Sneaks out the back way quickly placing a spell of protection over the house as he glides over to the Whitmore’s placing one on there home as well. Then dissipates back home, climbing into bed calculating the orders he sent out, falling to asleep hoping everything will work out as planned.


It wasn’t long before someone shouted fire down the road as the Captions running from everywhere grabbing buckets as they try to save the livestock. Flames shoot up high in the air. Catching buildings on fire as the fire tries to head towards the Tweeds estates as the smoke filled the air. Derrick hurried jumped out of bed, jumping into his boots, fleeing down the street watching the flames gaining more ground.


The fire leaped as it laughed taking on life on its own, jumping onto rooftops of other homes. Trying to reach its destination, burning everything in its path. Derrick quickly taking his staff gathering the water from creek bed dosing the fire out. Watching it smother as it chokes its self to death trying to escape. Derrick and the guards cornering the fire, placing a barrier around it holding it prisoner while the wizard sect question it taking it away to one of their strongholds.


Derrick rubbed his eyes as he looked at the damage that was done sighs with relief. “Well, at least we had no casualty but looks like we might have a spy among our group. That fire knew exactly where to start.  “Caption Rigs, we might consider moving them closer to town and I mean all them.” Derrick intoned angrily. Watching his carefully laid plans crumble before him.


“Yes sir, but that could take few days.”


“Than you best start working on it, I understand Arken’s good with plans just have him help you when you are with him. Then travel to the Knee abees and bring them back here to help build whatever you need, they love to build and are really good at it. They are not soldiers…


“In fact they hate them so I would not address them as one. They are fair folk that lives in trees and the hills and the mountains; strong sturdy folk. Most likely could crush you like a bug if they wanted to. Just tell them I sent you and need their help.


“Take Mr. and Mrs. Whitmore with you, they could come in handy. Providing you can get him to come only with his wife and no other. The Knee abees tend to get real nervous when more than three come at the same time. You could have a war on your hands so I wouldn’t try it.”  Derrick said as he watched the town folk gather in the streets seeing the damage the fire made.


Caption Rigs passed out orders quickly then joined Derrick for a walk towards the Tweeds home, sir Drealin opening the door bowing as he lets them in; his wife in the kitchen setting the table with the girls, “good morning Mayor, Caption Rigs. We were just about to have breakfast; will you be kind enough to join us?” Sir Drealin asked as his wife came over to welcome him to the household.


“Yes. That would be nice,” he said as Arken and the rest of his family coming down the stairs. Arken dressed in his new Captions uniform and the boys all dressed in their new school clothes greeting him at the table, the Mayor and the Caption Rigs stand as the ladies sit.


Caption Rigs starts the conversation as he gazed about the room turned his head slightly as he takes in the whole family. “Change of plans are in the wind folks,” while buttering his muffin. “We are moving you closer to town in a few days all of you. We just need to know how big to make the house because it’s best, for now, to put you all in the same house for now; including yours Drealin and couple of wizards.”


The Mayor passing down the eggs responded, “who I can trust which are few these days to help share the load during your training.  Caption Rigs is the only one besides myself who knows what the duties are that lay ahead. I have gone to great lengths that must be kept hidden within these walls and among you; for these are dark times indeed as the shadow lies across the land taking from us what is not theirs to take. We must fight back the darkness freeing our brothers and giving them back the light.”


With that Caption Rigs stands and thanks them for lovely breakfast finishing off his orange juice, “well boys you have school and your father here has work to do.” He replies.


Arken slowly stands to look over at his boys then the Mayor, his wife gives him a peck on the cheek. “Try not to work too hard today dear. I’ll have supper ready when you get home,” as if nothing has changed. Then straitens the boy’s suit coats and hats as someone knocked on the door to take them all to school… “Hello, Mrs. Heathern the boys are ready,” as their mother smiles pushing them towards the door. “Sorry, we are a little late with all the excitement in town last night, nasty business,” Lilly replied


“Yes it was Mrs. Tweed, strange thing he arrived after you did,” she said.


The Mayor steps in the room placing his hand on her shoulder “I can’t thank you enough for helping me with my granddaughter down east Mrs. Tweed you and your family. The way you stepped in at the last moment.” He replied as tries to pass off a lie as truth.


“Oh shucks, it was nothing Mayor all she needed was some of my special broth and everything was fine. Now you boys mind your teacher,” rubbing each of their heads and giving each a little wink.


Lily and the Mayor watched them go down the street with rest of the children. “You lie pretty well Mrs. Tweed,”  Derrick said with a wink.


“So do you Judge,” Lily giggled.  “We're not moving due to that fire, are we?” Lily pointed down the street.

“Let's call it a hunch, for now, there’s a spy somewhere in our troops and I’m going to root him or them out. First the knight.” He said looking towards trees where the queen of the pixies is. “She was nearly caught last night, then the fire, all in the same day in about the same area where you are now. The only ones that have been up and down your road have been the guards and my Caption besides two wizards, Drealin and myself. Drealin and his family I trust completely and my Caption. The others I am leery about.”  He said closing the door as he nods to the guards outside.


“But Drealin trusted those wizards I thought,” she asked.


“There are good wizards and bad wizards. Some have their own agenda making up their own mind what is right for them, may not be right for others. I know since I was one a long time ago and followed the path of wizardry. Morgan was one too until he turned his talents to the dark arts. Claiming power and glory deep into the shadows for many years and centuries, it has consumed him wanting more. There is a reason I told you this,” as Derrick pulls out a book and hands it to her and a key to a hidden library in town.


“Behind your store, there’s a hidden passageway that will take you to my library. I caution you on what you may find. Speak the word “aldarn” and this key will open the door of the library. The books are old and powerful. Do not learn more than you are ready for instead take your time and study and practice, practice what you have learned before moving on.


“You do this... a whole new world will be open to you instead of being burned to have to wait until you are ready. That’s how things work. We all have our limits to guide us starting with this book. It may seem easy, but really it’s not as it drains you physically and mentally.


“The more you take on before your ready the more strength it takes out of you. It is a warning sign; let it be your guide. In time you will adapt as you learn. Drealin will take you and Rena and the girls to town while I meet with your Grandmother and Mr. Whitmore," he said begins to leave opening the door.


Rena and her husband come to the door as the Judge was about to leave. “I know were early Mayor, but we just couldn’t wait with all the excitement down the road. Plus they wouldn’t tell us what was going on as the Wizards took off in such hurry telling us not to leave the house.”  Rena replies.


Arken laughed. “Come in friend,” slapping him hard on the back.


Caption Rigs looks at the Mayor Angrily. “They left you alone did they” Caption Rigs shaking his head growling under his breath.


“Actual I’m kinda glad they were sort of boring, always watching us as if we were doing something wrong. Gave you a funny feeling if you were nosing around in their house it gave you the creeps. If we are going to be here a while like you said I would prefer not to have any part of them teaching me and my wife anything.”


The Judge calmly closed the door and locks it as the Caption Rigs shuts the blinds. “That’s fine by me Kollie. They weren’t working out anyhow, as I was just telling the Tweeds you will all be moving closer to town in one giant estate with a full staff of my choosing and the approval of the council of light.”


The Mayor rolled out a map of the town. “I think if we put the building here on the hill and build a new barracks over here and my new house over in this corner with a road leading into town with more shops and selling goods from off worlds, because you will be visiting them and they will be needing a place to stay as well.”


The Judge and Rigs pointed at the hill, “which we will call Hill Estates Hotel. Giving your aunt Mary, Lizzy and Richard to run holding parties and such. That means you’ll need at least a hundred rooms for now, not including staff and private tutors for the Tweeds and The Whitmore’s.”


The Caption Rigs nearly faints as he looked at the judge. “You want this built in a few days?” He asked.


“That’s right. I told you were to get people to do it and Arken here can help you with the plans. I want it looking nice. It will be the crowning jewel of Springfield; if you want something hidden put out in the open, but guard it well and invite the rat to the party if you want to catch the rat at the table red-handed.


“We are too spread out waiting for the rat to catch him in our net, he knows it. It has always been said safety is in numbers and among our friends. Now then” Derrick turning to Mr. and Mrs. Whitmore “it seems they have left you today, first of all, did you do what you where asked this morning?” They both nodded looked at each other holding hands smiling.


“I am glad. Your boys will know when they get to school this morning as they watch their lives gain a new purpose matching yours. For that matter,” Derrick turning towards the Tweeds. “I have arranged for them special classes for them. To speed them along with other students with the same gifts so they will not feel out of place using their new talents. Speaking of which you two will be joining the Caption Rigs here later today on his mission after you study a bit and work down in the shop in town.


“We must keep on schedule at all times including you Mr. Tweed even though you are off world searching for your boy. Nothing must be out of place if your boys are late you must leave them with Jaydan until you return or he can return here with them unnoticed. That is one reason they must learn to survive on their own till help arrives. Who knows what you and your boys will run into out there?


“Morgan can unleash foul creatures from pits of hell its self like the ones you have seen last night. They must be, you must be ready as the battle cries into the night.” He gave a quick nod to the Caption Rigs. “I again place you in his hands once more. Sir Drealin you mind coming with me to their grandmother’s house?” Derrick asked waiting for things to slow down a bit as he joggle’s being a Mayor and still the Judge of time for the moment until his replacement takes his new seat. Thinking as he sighs softly how is he going to tell them and him.


“It would be an honor sir,” Drealin giving his wife a quick peck on the cheek. The Judge and Drealin watch the Captions Tweeds party leave by carriages with him in the lead towards town. Two wizards standing at the Whitmore door frowning. The Judge calmly yells back “I’m sorry, your services won’t be required today. I’ve taken care of the matter personally.” Not waiting for a reply.


Knocking on Grandma’s door as Richard and Mary answer it as Grandma comes down the stairs ready for work… “What?”


“Change of plans,” watching their faces turn white.


“We know nothing about running a hotel…”The Mayor laughs as Sir Drealin explains the details… “A hundred rooms… or more?” Mary begins to faint in her chair as if the room was spinning.


“Not to worry… you will have plenty of help I a sure you, it just a cover to hide the families under one roof. There are spies in our mist,” Mayor stated. “And we need to root them out and we can’t do that without painting a target on you. We’ll just say that Arken is a war hero from two planets looking for a place to settle down in helping with our troops. As he gathers more men from all over creating a new army to fight against Morgan and his followers, which will bring people from all over to your grand hotel and the town folk to celebrate with them.


“By doing so we will catch the rats in the process, of course, the main guests from other worlds will stay in the rooms and you and your families will live in the other part, being well protected with the rest of our guests. Except yours will have more protection in case someone from their side tries to do anything. I’ll know about it in an instant and so will your staff and guards catching the rat in the trap.”


“When are we moving to this grand hotel of yours?” Mary asked.


“In about a week or sooner… If we are lucky.”


“That soon?” Grandma asked.


“Why, did you have plans?” He asked.


“Mary laughed. “And go where looking like this? No one would recognize us anywhere.”


“About that” Derrick smiling at Sir Drealin, “we kinda have a problem that you might be able to handle. I imagine there are all sorts of questions going on down where you came from that need some sort of explanation regarding the Downing’s, Whitmore’s and you and of course Danny. We can’t tell them the truth. Honestly, it would be bad for both sides and information like that getting into Morgan's hands.


“Margaret should be gone by now I hope, considering the danger she is in. Which leaves you Betty to deal with Danny’s mother and the people around her, not to mention your own family? You could be up here for months or longer once we get that boy back.” Derrick replies with a sigh.


“So what you are saying is you would like me to take a little trip back there to check on things and come right back?” Derrick nods, “but how? I can’t go looking like this.”


“Sure you can.” Derrick placing a ring on her finger hiding the transformation. “Just don’t take it off when you are around people. They won’t know the difference. It only works during the day so the shadows won’t help you. It last for 72 hours then it wears off turning you back. By that time you should be headed back to Jaydan, sending you back here. If you can’t make it back to him in time, travel under this cloak that Drealin will provide you to Nathaniel who is at Granny’s old house. He’ll know what to do to send you back here. Can you remember everything?” Derrick asks as he stands hoping she can pull it off.


Betty nods as she looks at Richard and Mary. “Got it. Danny mother Linda, lie like a rug to everyone like my life depends on it, which it does for their sake. Get back before time runs out. Just got to think of a place that’s all.” Grandma laughs, “I wonder how the weather is up in Canada or Alaska this time of the year.” Grandma taking the cloak putting it on “I guess I am ready.”  She replies giving everyone a hug goodbye.


Derrick taking his staff as Sir Drealin and Caption Rigs stands startled seeing the new transformation of power within Derrick as he waved a gate to the very spot where Jaydan and Margaret are, Grandma stepped through nods as the gate closes.



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

56 Views
Added on February 18, 2019
Last Updated on January 22, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep