Chapter 16

Chapter 16

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 16


From the window of the old farmhouse Nathaniel and Betty could see it on the mountains as they change as if something was killing the trees turning, everything black in some places “O my!” Betty replied watching it spread slowly. Nathaniel quickly grabbed his staff ran outside of the farm. He pointed towards the hills and tries to counterbalance the effects from reaching the town of New Downing and Santaquin. Pouring everything he’s got pushing his energy towards the mountain.


Nathaniel sweating, kneeling as he holds his staff as wave after wave drains him. Nathaniel realizing he can’t do this alone. Betty helped him back into the farmhouse shaking her head. “You are just as stubborn as the rest of them.  Margaret and Jaydan out their camping doing who knows what and you all alone trying to protect the entire town by yourself. When are you going to realize you can’t do it alone. I know, I tried it myself it was just plain foolishness.”


“Betty I can’t bring people down here to help me, you know that.”


“Why not? Because they're different from everyone else? Horse pokey if there’s will there’s a way. Look at me. Sure, right now I’m a wood elf so what doesn’t mean anything. Of course, I do have little enchantment to hide me during the day while I’m here. There’s no reason you couldn’t transform somebody else to help you.  I saw plenty of soldiers out and about that could pass as town folk around here and the Judge told me there were thousands more in other worlds like this one.


“Sure their strange and have unusual talents, the more the merrier I say at this point in the game. You have three farms that aren’t being used at the moment that need a caretaker until their occupants can return, a town that needs special attention. 


“You can’t be in three places at once, it's too much for anyone, plus the Whitmore’s need a place close to town yet far enough from watchful eyes because they have a schedule of their own and must return daily so there not missing. It’s only temporary. I think. The Judge couldn’t give me the details. Say’s for you to ask him or Mr. Whitmore since we were on a time schedule. Speaking of which you wouldn’t happen to have a phone here?” She asked helping him back into the house.


“Sorry, as I said this farm has been abandoned for years, Betty. When gets dark I’ll sneak you back into town and see if we can locate one and find your horse. In the meantime make yourself at home while I do little snooping around a bit. I should be back within an hour.”



* * * *

 


“Well, Jaydan wish me luck.” After a few tries, Margaret opened her first gateway above the horizon. Margaret steps through the gate watching it closes. She looked around at all the different people she never has seen before, soldiers marching up and down the road.  On her right, she could see the town square where all the little shops are leading to the empty hill.


“Betty said the Judge would meet her there… alright, let's get moving.” As she sighs walking down the street passing the bakery and the bookstore. Rena calls out to her from one of the shops. Margaret could not believe her eyes looking at Rena then this other woman coming out of the shop to greet her like she should know her. They yelled down the street Analy and Brandy carrying books of their trade.


Aunty M overwhelmed too say the least. Watching these four women running towards her, “theirs only one thing to do. Pretend you know who they are.” Trying to calm them down so she can get her thoughts together as they quickly drag her into the store showing them everything at once.


Rena could see she is lost without another word closed the door with a sign that said out to lunch be back in fifteen minutes then closing off the back room. “Now that’s better,” Rena said taking a deep breath then opening a book the Judge gave her, reading the spell words and secrets casting.


Aunty M watched as this new Rena eyes glowed as she reads waving her hand around the room. She closed the book and smiled checking to make sure everything is in place. “Now then Aunty M meet the Tweeds Lily, Analy, and Brandy, of course, you know me Rena and my husband Kollie and the boys who you will see later on. The Tweed boys to will be joining us later before they leave with their farther Arken to join Jaydan and his group.


“They are all in school right now. This is our little shop to pass the time while we study, me and Lily and the girls. I’m just waiting for my husband and Caption Rigs. We are going to meet some people to help build our new house on the hill. Isn’t that exciting?  The Judge said it’s going to be the crown jewel of the town, hosting parties for hosts around the stars. We mustn’t keep him waiting any longer. He told us to bring you when you arrived. I have been practicing that spell all day. Can you believe it?”


“All day,” Margaret said getting her bearings back. “But you have been gone for almost three days.” She replied. Rena removed the spell with a wave of her hand smiling taking Aunty M by the other. Walking her to the hill where she supposed to be meeting the Judge.


The Judge and Caption Rigs and a tall wood elf were looking over the plans. Caption Rigs quickly turned facing them. “Ladies,” as he bows then rolling up the plans “I’ll attend to this immediately sir. Mrs. Whitmore what do say we find that husband of yours.


“I left word at the school to have the boys dropped off at the Tweeds home till we return. Arken prepare your troops at the barracks for their first mission;” handing him a sealed envelope to give to Jaydan and another unsealed with his new orders, Caption Rigs solutes him before leaving giving one more bow to the ladies.


The Judge turned his attention to Margaret as he thanks the ladies for bringing her here. Telling them to tell Sir Drealin to set an extra plate for dinner and prepare the guest room.


Taking Margaret by the arm towards the hill as they climb, looking over the little town of Springfield where they are completely alone. The shadows are in the distance covering the hillside in the east and west. “The air seems colder there and darker than usual,” Derrick said taking notes of the surroundings.


Derrick gives a quick sigh looking over at the mountains as the worry and the strength of the darkness seems unbearable.  “Margaret your job has gotten harder just like the rest. It is time for a change of season a passing of time. I know you are new at the job and this is a new beginning for you and all of us. Nathaniel has his job to do just like I do so do Jaydan. The people we are close to that were our friends move on, fighting that last fight leaving behind others to pick up where we left off.


“It’s a hard road that we travel you and I as we look across the fields of time. Knowing once we destroy one source of darkness there’s always another to take its place. It’s a never-ending cycle, plucking out the bad seed from the good seed, a choice we must make. Where do we turn to for answers? Who can we rely on? Our friends and ourselves finding the courage that we need to make it through another day. True, your friends are wood elves, but they are still your friends.


“The Whitmore’s may be wizards now and will be for the rest of their lives helping people where ever they go. They chose that path for themselves and will have a long life for generations to come.  No the reason I called you here not so I could babble on like an old fool. No? The reason is I needed you up here more. There’s something’s you need to learn before I send you out. You don’t have the skills like Nathaniel and Jaydan and I do… I realized that myself when me and my Captions where taking down that black knight.”


Margaret turned suddenly. “He was here?” Margaret quickly pulled out the newspaper “Nathaniel killed two of them the same night. I myself fought little dark swamp rat’s things heading towards the Downing farms and Whitmore farms.”


Derrick paces for a minute looking at the paper then throwing it to the ground in a heated rage. “Tell me everything that you know and did,” placing a ward round them. Margaret nods tell him about the battle in the street. How she removed all the paperwork not leaving a trail for anyone to trace the boys at home or at the school. Everything that Linda told her about Danny up till the time she left to come here. “And your sure nobody saw you break-in at the school or the homes,”  Derrick asked.


“Not a soul, they wouldn’t know who I was with my red hair for some reason the cameras didn’t like me. Morgan’s goons did enough damage according to the report in the paper. It will all have to be updated. If you like I can go back and check to make sure, but they won’t find the files in a million years unless you collect dust all over the world even then I doubt you will find them.”


“That’s what I mean,” Derrick said pacing the ground, “cocky over a simple victory, ready to do more. Of course, we all were at one time so I’m not going to hold it against you.


“Just be careful. There’s a time to boast then there’s time to stay focused on the job at hand. If you boast too soon it could cost you more ways then one my dear. I had to learn that the hard way; it cost me dearly in the end. Tell a friend set me back on the right path or I might be where Morgan is today. I shudder to think of the possibilities how close I came as our path intertwines at one time, him choosing the dark me choosing the light. Knowing in the end we must face him before moving on." Derrick replied taking a seat on the grass as he motioned her to sit beside him.


“You see Margaret this is my last season. I to have been called to fill another seat while another rises taking my place. Others may fall in the cycle of change, it doesn’t mean it ends for them as they too move on to another seat that is waiting for them.


“Some or added along the way through generations like fruit on a tree. The timekeeper of destiny of design weaves the pattern as he or she turns the wheel, adding others to it on the line. For you and I, the pattern has changed slightly as they tug on the string mixing others with it by its accord for life hangs on this wheel as we once again look through the looking glass.” As he waved his hand showing her patterns of his her life long ago and in the present. Derrick looks far away as if time stopped still on the hill


“That’s why I have decided Margaret you are going to be our new nanny for the children once the hotel is built, you’ll be the town’s nanny so you can watch over them take part in all there activities and schooling.


“There will be at least 50 to 60 children around here at first, but then it will grow as we become the center, I’ll have to get more help for you later on. Yes, that should keep you busy,” leaving her on the hill. Then turns around, “well aren’t coming, Margaret?" As he stands in the middle waiting for her to catch up.


“Over here is where the new barracks are going to be built and my new house over here. The hotel will be the crown jewel three floors a large ballroom with a full staff.  Mary, Richard, and Betty will be running the place. Lizzy will help with some of the tutoring. Ranging dance classes, edict for all them. In fact, she at the library right now, reading about different cultures and dances.” He said without pause.


Margaret looks back at the hill. “Did you say, 60 children?” She asked.


“Yes?” Derrick going on about his plans about the town as Margaret stumbles a little. Watching soldiers marching down the street with packs on there backs and wagons full of supplies, others riding horses. In the group, she saw two smaller boys wearing packs marching beside a Caption she saw earlier. He opens a gateway with eases pushing onward with his men to the other side she watched as the gate closes.


“Derrick who was that man that passed us?” She asked


“Oh him, that was Caption Tweed and his boys Jasper and Grayson they are on way to meet with Jaydan to find a better location for more troops. Don’t worry, he’ll be back tonight if you want to meet him.”


“Derrick you’re not telling me everything….”


“Not here, Margaret there are eyes everywhere. I’ll explain once we're inside away from the shadows where it safe. Now act like you’re a visitor and smile.” Pointing to the trees and nodding hearing whispers.


Derrick and Margaret reaching the top of the hill where the fire was earlier, she could see the markings of scorched buildings where it left its mark. The sky reaching twilight as little house lights and lanterns shine in the windows. Wolves howl and another answer the call as shapes leap the rooftops of the homes. Derrick hastened his footsteps towards the Tweeds house. Sir Drealin quickly opens the door looking around the corners of the house.


“Have the Whitmore’s and the Caption Rigs made it back yet?” Derrick asked.


Drealin shakes his head. “Not yet, dinner will be ready in hour Lady Margaret and I have some fresh clothes for you in the room upstairs.”


“Thank you Drealin.” Taking Derricks arm, “now’s a good time as any.”


“Under better circumstance, I would say your right, but looks like I have three missing sheep to deal with at the moment. Drealin can explain everything just well as I can I’m afraid.” With that, the Derrick quickly left out the door heading home grabbing a few maps and a couple of books. Derrick warped his cloak around him as he departed through a gateway a mile away from the village of the Knee abees.



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

60 Views
Added on February 18, 2019
Last Updated on January 22, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep