Chapter 16-2

Chapter 16-2

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 16-2



I* * * *

 


It was dark and a quarter away from town, Nathaniel and Betty wearing the cloak that was given to her by the Judge sneak into town. All she could hear was night noise as people were still up as the city watchmen watched the sleeping town.  “Did hear about George’s place?” The first watchman asked.


“Ya he was robbed two nights ago, it’s just not safe here not like it used to be.” The second watchman replied.


“Ya I know me and the misses are thinken about going further south somewhere’s. She says we got relatives down that direction. Can’t be any worse then here I tell her, either way, they both make you feel like a mouse in a cage.”  The first watchman replied.


“Ain’t that truth, mine rather fleece me twice. That’s why I am staying here to stick it out. Their knives are just a little too sharp for me skin and they have plenty of hungry teeth?”  The Second watchmen replied.


Nathaniel slowly picked the lock opening the door of the new Post Office as he skillfully entered the room checking to make sure the cost is clear. He returned to the backdoor for Betty giving her a nod as she entered the room and closed the door behind them making sure nobody followed them. “The phone in there,” Nathaniel pointing to little office on the right.


Betty nods. Picking up the phone while Nathaniel keeps a close guard on the doors Betty dials Steve’s place. Letting it ring for a few minutes thinking what I’m going to tell him? While phone rings. Finally, he picks up. “Steve?” as she whispered in wood elf English…


“Who is this?” He replied.


“Don’t you recognize your own mother's voice…? Must be this blasted Phone… Steve listen, son, I don’t have a lot of time,” trying not to sound worried… “I was hoping you could watch things for a while for me and Richard….”


“Sure mother are you back at the farm?” He asked.


“No son, not exactly somewhere a lot further….”


A woman screamed down the street as three men in black chased her and her family. Carrying a small child in her arms as her husband tries to fight them off… “I got go Steve just remember I love you…” she replied.


Nathaniel looked out the window seeing three men toying with their prey. “Wait here!” As he dashed out the backdoor with a sword in his hand leaping towards them joining the farmer. “Go. I’ll all take care of this.” Nathaniel replied to the farmer.


The farmer looks at his family. “Thanks, mister,” Grabbing his family running. The Mayor and his deputies and the Police Chief stormed out of the house towards the fighting in the streets. Nathaniel sword is swift as it dances as sparks glide along its blades of steel.


His eyes narrowed as if they were smiling as he danced one foot in front of the other. At last, he makes contact as he plunged his sword deep within the chest then pulls it out leaping in the air spring back as the body fell to the ground whirling the sword. While the other two men watched then charged, one raised its staff of black the other one shooting fireballs dark blue.


Nathaniel sword twirls fast in front of him blocking the fireball re-bonding as it struck the man in black knocking him off balance. Nathaniel jumps in the air dives removing his head before the other Dark Man could get control.


They circle, staff against the blade of steel, the dark man with lizard skin smiles as the saliva drips off his face. Their eyes lock as they circled making slight contact upon the blade against the staff. All eyes are upon them from a distance, not daring to speak a word as they stand watching. The electricity was in the air as crackled with each strike.  The Dark Man knowing he must get away, but yet knowing it’s already too late.


“So my old friend, this is where you have been hiding. Very clever, but not clever enough, just tell me where you have hidden the boys and that wretched family and I might let you live. For the day is coming when you all shall bow down before the master and his new prince for all the lands are he’s to control.” The Dark Man replies hoping it would catch Nathaniel off guard.


“Never! I’ll see you in hell first!” Nathaniel taking several more strikes as they fight griping blades against harden steel and strength, sparks flying of blue hues and gold spraying outwards around them.


The Dark Man lashed out with dark lizard claws cutting Nathaniel against his leg as the blood drips from the torn gash. “Good. You do bleed, you thought you where immortal. Unlike my master who will raise me up over many lands such as these. Bathing me in riches and power once you are all dead and these worthless scum who you call your friends. Shall die at my feet as they starve, as I watch their crops and fields die with them. Master has poisoned them as a warning for those that might interfere in harboring them. You may stop it if just tell me where they are. I will let you live, it will be my gift.”


The anger raising deep inside Nathaniel as he fights with all he got slashing this way and that way trying to remain focused as he fights. The Dark Man could see the hate in his eyes as he quickly plunged a knife into Nathaniel side. Nathaniel screams as he hunches over as the Dark Man quickly makes his next move by picking up Nathaniel sword. Guns could be heard all around him as they begin to start to fire bullets around him. “Drop it!” Which he does, as he hissed back at the watchmen surround him.  The Dark Man slowly backed away into the shadows, finding no way out as a group of farmers with pitchforks and side arms began to come closer.


The Dark Man leaped into the air on top of the nearest building as guns fire at him knocking him off to the ground. Doc runs over to Nathaniel passing over the two bodies “this mans hurt, I need a stretcher now!” Doc yelled.


The Mayor and Police Chief walked over to the Dark Man where he fell off the roof finding him unconscious, pulling back the hood gasping at the mere sight. As they quickly stepped aside, eyes fully on the face of the dark lizard, not a man at all. It begins to twitch an officer quickly hits the beast with a back of a shovel. Then throwing a blanket over it “Well Brad, that’s got to be the ugliest thing I’ve have ever seen in my whole life. Where do you suppose it came from?” He asked


“I have no idea,” looking towards where the commotion took place.”


Someone yells. “Mayor, you are not going to believe this.” Pointing down towards the other two bodies “they are just like him except they are different by color, one blue other red,” the other officer yelled.


The Mayor and Police Chief trying to keep the crowd back under control. “We need to get these out of here and fast,” watching the crowed grow.


“Don’t look at me Brad I can’t handle anything like this. If the word got out up town the city would be in whole panic. I’m still trying to digest what was on the front page of the school and I was there and saw it myself and I still can’t believe it.”  Police Chief replied.


“Mayor it’s moving again,” the officer replied.


“Then finds some rope tie it to a poll, throw a bag over its ugly head whatever you do keep it out of sight.”


“Yes, sir. What about these to two?” The officer asked.


“Burn them, bury them in a hole before they stink up the place.”


Betty watching through the window of the Post Office gasping with tears running down her face as she watched them as they carry Nathaniel into Doc’s office, knowing there’s only one thing to do. Her little trip needed to be postponed a little. Sneaking back out the backdoor she grabs Nathaniel horse headed back to the old farm house. Rides like a bat out of hell, riding fast as she can for Jaydan’s camp finding it moved. Climbing down to rest the horse while she looked for tracks in the dark.


As she looks in the dark if feels strange touching the grass. It was as if it was calling to her and the trees singing when the wind blew in the trees. “Help us, were dying!” Betty picking up some the soil in her hands it felt natural yet strange watching it turn to dust. Closing here eyes for just a brief moment she could feel the earth around calling almost screaming then it was gone.


Her wood elves eyes were keen and sound prickled with every movement she slowly climbs the hill under the bushes. In the shadows, not more than ten or twenty clicks away from a small fire in a darkened cave. Betty could hear voices as she slowly crept forward towards them among the trees. More Dark Men glorifying themselves with riches they have taken from her world here. “Gartooth did you listen to that woman scream as I slaughtered everyone in front her then saved her for last taking all of these small trinkets.” His partner asked.


“I just wanted to hear her scream,” Gartooth replied.


“Yes. It brought tears to my eyes,” as he laughed. “It was sad really they did know where they have hidden the families or the boys.” His partner said laughing.


“True, but our master said ‘take back what is ours and poison the lands.’ So what’s a little death now then going to hurt? It’s been such a long time since we heard them scream on their knees and there’s plenty of fun to go around.” Gartooth intoned.


Anger boiling as Betty watched the lizards glorify with their tales of horrific tales as they drink their vile wine. She burned the faces and their names in her head and of their crimes. "If its the last thing I do they will die by my hand," she said to herself as she slowly backed away over the hill.


It wasn’t far just about two miles from the creek she spotted them on guard doing their rounds. “Halt. Stay where you are!” As one of the guards sneaked up behind her, pointed spear in her back, three more at the other side with blades drawn.


“I am here to see Jaydan. It’s urgent,” she replied to the guard.


“And who might you be?” He asked as Jeff was coming out of one of the tents carrying a book looked up to what all the commotion all about.


“It’s alright fella’s. I’ll vouch for her,” he replied walking towards the group of soldiers. The guards slowly raised their weapons letting Jeff in as he takes Betty arm.


“I don’t think we meet son?” Grandma said carefully taking his arm.


“True, but I know everything about you.” Putting an arm around her, “now what’s this about urgent business?” He asks.


“I must see Jaydan right away its important. Nathaniel has been hurt,” she replied.


“How?” Jeff asked.


“By those horrible things not more than four or five miles from here, he killed two and one almost got away, but the town folk has it tied it up somewhere. You must take me to Jaydan, Jeff please he needs help.”


Jeff pauses for a moment “I can’t Betty he not here. Jaydan left me here leaving me in charge of this group while he searches for the ingredients he needs for EJ’s for his transformation and a way to remove the chains without Morgan knowing.  All I have is Lenny.” Jeff paced up and down the tent wondering what do I do. What would Jaydan do?”


“Betty, tell me everything from the beginning…. So there are three more out in the woods not far from here. I noticing myself a couple of days ago on the mountain wondering why they looked so gray. I’m no wizard like Lenny, we talked about it last night hoping to find the source. We came up with three reasons, pointing to this old book. Natural causes, Morgan himself, and third Morgan hired hands the black lizards of Darzzee. Very skillful fighters and deadly bounty hunters that will poison the lands to get what they want.


“All they care about is gold and glorifying themselves and making it unfit for humans of any kind. If Nathaniel is wounded by one of them, pray that it’s not serious because it could be fatal, he could die in mater of days or hours depending on the wound. So I’ve been told,” Jeff replied sitting down on the bed next to her.


“You're not helping me very much, Jeff.” Betty said standing to pace, “did he say how long he was going to be gone?” Jeff shakes his head no. “Then what are you sitting around here for? I gave you all the information, do something. There are lives at stake. You may not be able to go anywhere the way I understand.” she replied as Jeff nods. “Where’s your map son?”


Jeff pointed to the table, Betty looked it over. “Come over here, how many men do you have that could pass off looking like yourself or a farmer?” She asked.


“Maybe 10 if they wear hats or helmet then more.”


“Sorry, Jeff. No helmets.”


“Then ten why?” He asked.


“That group is going into town with you. I’ll take say 15 men with me, and take care of this bunch of black lizards over in the trees. Leaving the rest of the men to guard this place for our return. Taking back the nasty things back to the Judge on a silver platter? So they can spill their guts out to him.”


Jeff paced the floor of the tent. “You’re forgetting someone, Lenny.”


“No, I haven’t Jeff. He’s the most import person of all. While this going on he’s the person that’s going to bring Nathaniel and us more help. You see Nathaniel running on empty down there he needs more people like you to help him. That’s why after those men return I would like to see some those men stay with him. I have all night to finish this and I’m giving up a chance to spend time with my family to hold them in my arms before I leave them.


“Not many get this opportunity, Jeff, to visit such a place so wonderful that takes your breath way then at the same time running from it because terror lurking in the shadows ready to strike you down. This is what I live for Jeff. Knowing, hoping in someway I made a difference with the choice’s I make. For you, you are my grandson best hope, I can see it clearly in your eyes. I see it in the Downing’s eyes as they try to cope with the loss, hoping you and his brothers will bring him home safely; for he has never been so loved in his entire life except in their care. This is why Jeff, why I am here now, to give you the strength and the courage you need.”


Betty putting her arms around him took the sword from off the desk. She places it in his hands. “Now go lead us. I know you can do it.” Betty steps out of the tent “Caption might I brow your knife for a minute or better yet show me to the armory.”


“Sorry ma’am that’s off limits ….” Caption replies.


“Now listen to me sonny and listen good... either you show me where it is or I’ll skin you with your own knife faster before you say tree branch.” Jeff running back down the hill seeing his Caption turning white holding Betty at knife point…


“Listen you just try it,” he replied.


Betty starts to grab for his knife her hands quicker and skill like an old bob cat. Jeff laughed watching his Caption losing his pants. “Now you can do it my way or do you feel like losing anything else?” She asked in a stern voice.


Caption trying not to blush as Jeff steps in. “Caption Freeman, I suggest you best you do what she says since you’ll be riding with her.” Betty smiles as she cuts the draw string off the Captions pants hands them back to him.


“A souvenir!” Then taking the ring looping it around her neck tying the cord, “now that’s better, shall we dear Caption Freeman is it.”


“Yes, ma’am.”


Jeff laughed “EJ was right, she sure is something else and Mike said she could tame and blow a storm.” It was a good thing the armory was just a few tents down. Not that it matters none as he got plenty of catcalls. “Nice pair of legs you got Caption. Hey, Freeman, do you do a lot of night dancing? Who’s your lady friend?” He grumbled and complained, but took it in stride.


“You’ll find everything you need in here my Lady,” bowing out of the tent walking back to his tent for his full battle armament as he smiles thinking how he was outwitted by a little old grandma. Never again will he underestimate or be so quick to judge his prey.  Looking at what’s left of a pair of pants with careful slits down the sides with no waist which now hangs around her neck.


It wasn’t easy finding everything she wanted in the armory looking around the room everything was too cumbersome or too big. Betty was no soldier. She was just plain old grandmother wanting to help out as thoughts of her children run through her mind.


Everyone one of them is safe except for one that bothered her more and more as the days pass into weeks. His father shows no signs of caring for either of the two boys. Yet there was new hope for Danny with his mother at least. She was now willing to accept them for who they are. It’s the other half that refuses and except it for what it is.


EJ was truly happy with Downing’s if we could just get him back.  Maybe in time their father will come around accept Danny pulling the five together. That’s another problem for another day as Betty looked around the room. “Think old girl now’s your chance to do something.” Grabbing a couple of knives off the wall, placing them one in each boot. Betty finds a small sword with belt and holster light enough for her to handle as she waved it around a couple of times. “That o’t too scares them.” Looking into a brass shield, “heck I’d scare myself If didn’t know who it was.”


Jeff and Lenny popped their head in the tent. “Are you ready Betty?” They asked.


Betty checked her hair. “Ready as I’m going to be. Now Lenny, hurry  and find the Judge and tell him we need some help.”


“Betty don’t worry, just go I’ll send for help and be back quick.” He replied.


“Thanks,” she said watching Lenny open the gate she almost wished she was going with him.





© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

59 Views
Added on February 18, 2019
Last Updated on January 22, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep