Chapter 17

Chapter 17

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 17


Derrick pondered in his chambers, taking small comforts as he looked at the stars. One of his brotherhoods walks in by the name of Bowden a man of quality his hair graying at the sides with a strong face withered of age, and his eyes have shown great knowledge. Bowden puts his arm around him as they both look at the stars together. “Sometimes I wonder about the course these individual stars we place them on. Are they in the right place at the right moment of time or do we hurry them along to fast before they are ready; taking the chance that they may not produce well in the light as we all die slowly in the shadows of time?” Derrick asked.


“Are you thinking of Lenny, my friend?” Bowden pointed to the star on the right blustering bright. Derrick slow nods… “Do you trust him?” He asked.


“Yes, of course, I do.”


“Then ask yourself this question, would you give your life for him…? Then think about all your close friends here, who would you trust with your life…? Those are the people I’d want protecting those families. You think about it,” he said as he leaves the room.


Derrick ponders going over in his mind the list of his closes friends. Weeding out the ones who he would trust with his life…The list in his mind does not seem so huge, but strange yet sadden watched their lights fade away with time; with new understanding and a different perspective. Those simple few in his mind are the ones he would choose to protect the families. He realized for the first time he can’t be there for them. “They must have time to grow on their own for themselves.” 


He too must begin to take his seat among the brotherhood. He takes one last look at all the stars before leaving the room moving five more to the right and starts another cluster then nods “Yes” whispering “I would give my life for him.” Putting on his cloak and taking his staff and clicks the floor once returning to his home in the basements. He removes the cloak and hung it on a nail at the bottom of the stairs. He checks the time out of habit sighs realizing the time just a quarter past three in the morning as he climbs the stairs to the living room.


Three out of seventeen members of the wizard council are seated in the leaving room. Not surprised really as their eyes bore down on him and his Captions at the door. The leader of the group Anddler Wezzmen with his long white beard and crooked nose which actually was slammed in the door by one of his students with puffy eyebrows he was as strict as they come regarding wizard laws and rules.


His co-partners on his left Dozenberg and on his right Crogan where almost as strict as him, but sometimes don’t see eye to eye. Not so much as a nod from the three as he entered the room.


“You may leave Caption, this is a private matter,” as Anddler stands to point to a chair for the Judge.


The Captions could feel the tension in the air as they looked at the Judge. “It’s all right. I all be fine, go ahead change the guard and gets some rest.” Caption Rigs bows to Derrick keeping his eyes on the three wizards as he leaves the room. Derrick calmly sets his staff in the corner by the fireplace stokes the fire. Leans against it and waits for them to make a move.


Anddler fuming as he paced the floor shouting. To Derrick, of all the rules he has broken starting with but not surprised gives a tired sigh listening to Anddler and his companion rumble on. 


“Whitmore’s leaving without a guide from our council sec. Telling wizard their no longer needed with the Whitmore’s, taking them off world on scouting party when their not ready with no training of the basics. Then leaving in the middle of the night to who knows where with Lenny of all people not even a full wizard by some standards on his death bed stabbed by Darzzee blade. Leaving a dead Darzzee in the next room… You have no right!”


“No right!” The others shouted raising their fist at him. Derrick stands their clam letting them rant and rave all they want.  Then takes a seat in the chair, “are you finished now?” His eyes blazing holding his staff as the wind blew around the room.


His clothes change to brilliant white of the brotherhood of the counsel of the light, along with his white staff. The wizards gasp at the sight of the new transformation as the wind dies down around them, restoring the Judge as he was. Derrick sits in the chair placing his staff in the corner. “I needed them. That’s all you need to know, they have their teacher and their guide now go!” Then opens the door letting them out nods to his new Captions and goes to bed.



* * * *

 


Richard couldn’t sleep with all the stories of the Knee abees going through his mind tossing and turning. Mary sleeping on the mattress stuffed with soft hay, him on the sofa. He could hear voices down in the basement where the Knee abees are sleeping below him.


Richard slowly tipped toes to the kitchen trying not to make a sound, pours himself a glass of milk. Takes a peek out the window watching the guards watching the house and His cottage where they put another family of Knee abees in tonight. Crawls back into bed listening to them below him talking of their village and their people.


“He’s right I tell you!” Knee bee Chief named Chief Shadow Dancer following his finger along the map. “It’s just a matter of time; if we could just get these people out we might be able to save them on the other side of the mountain. They have supplies that could feed thousands of our people.”


“Yes, but it’s not right to just take it because we are starving. What happens when the food is gone? Who do we turn to then my friend? We feed thousands for weeks, but then die and everyone else dies with them.” Chief Long Horn argued.


“Then we take these lands to harvest it for ourselves to feed our families.” Chief Shadow Dancer replied once more angrily.


Chief Long Horn replied. “Your heart has grown cold my brother. We are not murders or butchers. We seek the light and the truth, not the shadow that poison the minds of men.


"We to grieve for our losses for they are great and the burden is heavy for our loved ones we lost. But this is not the time to give up hope for their memory lives on in us; for they are free unto the mountain mother, who wraps them safely in her arms and father earth may his roots gives us strength unto our lands.


"Let’s us not weep into the river of tears of lost hope, for we still live on among our people. Our ancestor would not want this for our sons and daughters as we walk in the light of truth. We must plant new seed in fertile grounds among our friends. Now come help us gather our people together so they may to bathe in the light once more, find a place here for refuge from the storm.”



* * * *

 


Gartooth running for his life as soldiers shoot arrows from behind as they whizzing by him as he zigzags across the field. Two more of his comrades fell to the ground screaming as they tumble with their bodies filled with arrows. An arrow strikes his armor plating barley missing his upper thigh.


The horn is blown by one of the riders as he tries to look back nearly stumbling over rocks as more soldiers join in the chase with more of his clan right behind them, coming down the hill. His eyes glaring bright yellow with anger as he watches his comrade’s fall one after another like wild dogs in the street.


His clan’s men dying by these pigs on horses. “They have no right to live in this land. It was promised to them by their master, how dare they take it away from them. Have they not seen the signs?”


Gartooth climbed, scraping his way to the top of the hillside of the cave, pushing his way to the top. A woman in the group screamed below as a knife whistled past his ear. Gartooth screamed dropping back down the mountainside watching the blood from his hand where the knife struck.


The pain was agonizing as he tries to crawl up the side with one arm, pulling himself up with the other. Another knife whistled through the air striking his right leg cutting the strap off. Gartooth watched his staff and shield fall to the ground as an arrow shot high in the air makes contact as he brings his left leg over the edge.


Gartooth screams as the arrow goes right through it. Gartooth crawled to the entrance of the cave as he watched below his comrade’s die on the hillside below him and others were taken, prisoner.



* * * *

 


Betty down below can see the shape of Gartooth in the moonlight as she points to Caption Freeman to raise his bow, Jaydan stops him as Betty looks into the killer's eyes in the dark. Screams taking her sword rents her dress, wrapping Gartooth staff points at Gartooth yells. “Beware of the wind my friend for this old grandma and others like me protect their boy’s and we have claws. For I know your name and face and have your staff. I will hunt you down like a wild beast that you are so you will pay for your crimes.” Betty takes the staff slips in the saddle turns the horse around hard, heads back to camp with the others.


Jeff watched her go then looks up at the hill where Gartooth sat. Jaydan sighs hearing the soft moans as Gartooth suffers from his injuries then looks around at the battlefield.  “Caption Freeman sign a detail for clean up.”


“Yes sir what do want to about him?”


“He’s not going anywhere, but just in case keep an eye open on that cave until were a long ways away from it.”


“Yes, Sir.”



* * * *

 


The Dark Prince riding across the lands with his master by his side people bond in chains of great sorrow all around, his eyes deepened with sadness, power, and glory as he rules over them seeking for what once was lost can never be found as his hunger rages within him for more.


Morgan stretching forth his hand across the worlds below him, “these are your worlds. Watch them as they kneel at your feet my prince what more could you want? You have riches, beyond, riches; I give you lands beyond lands. The power and the glory are yours… take it!” Morgan handing EJ the dark sword of power.


EJ sees his mother helping patents in New Downing. He tries to scream out to her “run!” As she turned around a man in black held a knife. EJ screaming as Morgan standing over him with his hands on his chest, his eyes bearing down on him…


Morgan smiles “Sleep well boy the price will soon be paid in blood my little Prince as you watch them die one by one.” Morgan laughing as his nails scraping the stairs walls as he climbs stopping at the top. “Very soon my young Prince my hounds will be unleashed upon the world and we will ride together among the starless night bathed in glory. Watching the heavens fall at our feet as you pay tribute to me young Prince none other, for I am the master and the bonds are mine that will hold you forever as you do my biding.” Morgan cackles as he slammed the dungeon door leaving EJ in silence once more.


There are no more tears streaming down his face as he looks out into the darkness. His mind grows numb looking at the shadow of past lives of people, of friends who he used to know. Now gone, most likely dead by now… All he feels is abandonment by everyone as he sits in a dark hole listening to the drip drop of water off the inside of a dark cave. A father that never wanted him, hated him all his life, a mother half crazy yet sometimes he did feel something for her, but not often.


It had become too easy as time slipped by, one home after another. She never knew who he was, she never cared to find out as long he was out of the way. The Downing’s was the closest thing he had to a real family. A mother and father that loved him that stood by his side. Two bothers to look up to when things got tough. They always kept a promise no matter what. The tears slowly fall thinking of the spring, summer and the big winter they had together that year as a family.


He could see Julie and Anna smiling face around the Christmas tree when he each carved them a horse that he painted for each of them dancing on the grass. It wasn’t much as he kissed them on the cheek and gave them each a hug as tears rolled down their cheeks.


It was the best Christmas he could ever remember all of us there except for baby Jess.  Danny in his new cowboy hat, little twin guns at his side and a little badge Pa made him. Would that be last Christmas that he would spend with his family? EJ trying to hold on to the memory as the coldness sets in around him.


The little glimpse of light flicker in the hall as Morgan slowly draws EJ’s strength making him weaker. “That’s it boy just little more,” holding his head as he pours the tonic down his throat. Morgan watched the boys color drain even more and his eyes turn to black crystals. “Now when you wake you shouldn’t care about anything anymore, no more dreams of family, or friends, nothing at all boy.”



* * * *

 


Martha awakens screaming EJ’s name sitting up in her bed clutching her hand to her chest as she falls back into an unrest-full sleep. Linda turned with horror as a man in black stands in the door bearing a dark blade smiles resembling her son EJ making his way to her as if she were in a dream. Linda backing away slowly with tears in her eyes as the figure approaches closer to her until she up against the wall. She screams “why son? Why?” Looking into his dark crystal eyes as he raises the blade….


“You know why mother?” Linda screams watching the blade as he raises it above his head as some screams Linda.….



* * * *

 


Jeff pacing the tent with the envelope in his hand the key in the other falls to his knees clasping his heart as it grows cold. He could feel the boys bond that something has changed as he gasps for air in the room. Trying to regain his strength, wolves howl all around them. Jaydan watches the sky as the stars themselves seem to fall from the sky. Someone in the camp calls for help, on the ground, lays Betty next to Caption Freeman in a pool of blood. With a note:


“You fight with boys and old women while my clan’s men die with no honor, I seek Justus for these lands are mine…


  Gartooth.”


Betty moans trying to lift her head. “Did I get him?” She asked.


Jaydan kneels beside her looking into her gentle eyes. “Shhh now, let’s see if I can get you cleaned up old girl.” Shining the light down on her. Jaydan picked her up in his arms with a nod of his head. The wind pushes them in mere seconds to the old farmhouse. Lenny, Kollie walking the outside of the place of the home setting barriers of protection. 


Kollie runs yelling to Rena, “Betty has been hurt!” Watching the door fly open, Jaydan quickly takes her inside lays her on the bed. 


Betty smiles at all the people in the room whispers calmly as if in a dream. “It’s just a scratch from an old friend.” Then grips Jaydan hand looked deep into Jaydan eyes “EJ door is closing. Morgan has him by the throat.” Betty slowly let's go into a deep sleep as the poison arrow begins to work, drawing the last her of her strength. They have minutes before it is too late.


Jaydan without so much as a pause pulls out the arrow with such skill. Lenny casting the light of the shadow, drawing the poison out as Rena mixes the root and the elixir putting it on the wound. Kollie taking her hand placed together for the first time without the boys. They say the words with love as tears rolled down their cheeks. They watched the soft white light cover the wound brighter than the noonday sun encasing the body as the tears of love flow down their cheeks for this woman.


The light slowly a dims as they removed the cloth the wound was gone. A small tear runs down her cheek as she whispers EJ name. Her blue crystal eyes open as she sits up on the bed. “Well what’s you all gocken at, we have work to do don’t we?”


She stands giving them each a hug and warm smile. Betty looked around the room for Caption Freeman, Jaydan shakes his head. “I told you should have killed him Jaydan,” Betty clenching her fist. “Now he killed three more tonight, he thinks anyway thanks to you Doc.”


“Three?” Jaydan replies.


“Yes, Three. Freeman and the other two Caption's watching my tent tonight.”


Jaydan face drops turn around at short and stop. “Betty only Caption Freeman was assigned to you.” You could hear a pin drop as eyes stare in surprise. Jaydan paces the floorboards of the farmhouse. “There are not only spies, but they are among our troops. Betty, you can’t go back to the camp, it’s not safe.”


“It’s not safe here either Jaydan look at me for peat sake.”


“I know, I know, but you still have to finish what you started while you here in the time allotted.”


Lenny pulled on his short white beard. “You say three would be dead counting Betty, is there any reason why not report back to camp saying she is dead. Leaving her with me until she finishes her business?” He asked.


“No, The spies would be looking for a body if I come back empty handed they think something was a miss.”


Betty screamed “A Body!!” Have they not seen enough death for one day as we shed ours and their blood across the fields?”


“It’s our way we both honor the dead in a battle between both sides Betty.” Jaydan reached across the table taking her hand. “In joining together what was lost among the dead, hoping they to my find peace as we set them to rest with honor laying down their weapons of war. We pay tribute to them, ask forgiveness as the war rages on. Hoping that we too may find peace and honor for our families and their families in hope we can live together as one. Seeking a balance of the truth and the light as equals for the shadow and light are one and the same.


“One should have no power greater than the other as they share in the truth and light. No victories, no glory or riches are compared as we honor each as the same.  This is why we pay tribute to our dead. Not because of the body of a man, women or child, but for peace as we walk in the light of truth. It matters not of the mask you wear today. The shadow is the light and the light is the shadow it all depends on the path you take that lights the way.” Jaydan replied in hopes she understands.


“I think I understand, but where are we going to find a body, apparently mines been taken?” Betty tried to put things back into perspective. “And I’m not will give my mine up just so that thing out there can have the last laugh.”


Jaydan and Kollie laughed. Rena didn’t find it all amusing as she gave them each a hard stare. “It’s alright dear,” Kollie leaned over giving his wife a kiss on the head. “We were just agreeing with her that’s all.” Kollie thought about EJ when he first saw him, strange how time seemed to fly. Kollie sits at the table with Betty. “Do you remember that time when the boys sneaked out the house to go looking for EJ’s scarecrow Betty?”


Betty smiles “Yes I sure do. I laughed for days, poor Martha she had a cow over those boys as I recall.”


“I was thinking why we couldn’t make a scarecrow that looked like you that Jaydan here could take back.”


Lenny paced around the room. “We need something we can enchant make it look like you.”


Betty looked down at her hand and sighs. “Will this work? Its old ring that my husband gave me just before Jim was born.” Betty removes the ring with sadness in her heart as if it was the last hope of him would ever change was being buried with that ring. Looked out the window wiped the soft tears away. “I am ready,” she whispers “no more bad apples,” hands Lenny the ring. 


Kollie and Jaydan quickly build a scarecrow out of the soft hay and old gunny sacks. Rena finds some clothes for Betty to wear taking Betty old clothes now stained with blood dressing the scarecrow including the sword around the waist. Stabbing the arrow into the wound spreading red berry juice and tonic making it looks fresh on the sheet.


Wrapping the scarecrow in a sheet Lenny placed the ring on a cord around the neck of the scarecrow as they watch it transform into Betty as a wood elf. Without another word, for words could not explain the feelings as Betty gazed upon her own body wrapped in a sheet. She nods then whispers “Hurry Jaydan EJ’s in trouble.”


In mere seconds Jaydan was gone finding Jeff on his knee gasping holding a book and a key with the other whispering “Morgan, EJ.” Watching Jeff eyes slowly closes clutching the book of Beyond the Lost. Jaydan camp was in an uproar as a battle in the distance as his men ran to shore up the borders. Men fighting everywhere with anything they can get their hands on. The Black Knights with death hounds tarring at men’s throats. The wounded are everywhere as you turn on the field. Arrows spraying left than right as they light up the sky.


Jaydan sets down Betty’s body on the bed “my friend!” Picking the book up setting it to the side as Jeff moans, “I tried to do it alone!” Dropping the envelope into Jaydan hands unopened.



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

60 Views
Added on February 18, 2019
Last Updated on January 23, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep