Chapter 17-3

Chapter 17-3

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 17-3


The air seemed cold all around him, which was strange because he was a ghost, cold doesn’t affect him. Jeff turned around looked down at EJ, EJ smiles as he opens his eyes and stands breaking the illusion as Morgan instead of EJ. Morgan’s red eyes looked down on Jeff as he locked the last chain around him in his dungeon laughing as he climbed the stairs thanking him. “Now I know where they are boy thanks to your friend,” Morgan yells at the top of the stairs. “You idiots find me a map to the tribe Zueqinten’s if can even do that right.”


EJ laughed mixed with tears as he lay on his stone hard bed. “Look at this way, Jeff. At least now I have a roommate that can’t go anywhere.” EJ replies laughing softly.


Jeff laughs. “Yes, and to think that over stuff buffoon is still wrong, because I don’t even have a clue too where they are at.”


“…Jeff. Do have any more of that plum juice?” EJ asked.


“Why?”


“Just wondering, it’s been a while since I tasted real food that’s all. So what do say to you and me breaking out of here now that Mr. Buffoon is gone?”


“I tried that remember?”


“Yes, but how often do you get the chance like this?” EJ wiggled keys.


Jeff laughed. “You didn’t?”


EJ steps out of the cell. “Besides I have become so skinny that those chains can’t hold me anymore.” EJ unlocks Jeff cell and sits next to Jeff. “Well!” kicking his legs under the bed. “It’s not like I have all day. Your ghost silly it’s not like its going to hurt. Concentrate like walking through a wall, I don’t know you're the ghost your the one saving me remember.”


“EJ this different, these magical chains….” Jeff replied.


“Big deal, how did you get me out before Morgan found out, think silly? Retrace your steps in your mind not that we have a lot of time by the way.”


“Thanks for reminding of that. I saw you in your dream gave you the plum juice. Threw the book and fond out how to unlock it, then I moved you. Morgan must have seen me move you when I covered you. Instead of uncovering you I was uncovering Morgan. He traded places in hopes I would take you home. But I don’t know where home is at least not yet anyway. You are EJ aren’t you?” Jeff asked.


“Last time I checked, but I think we do need to hurry Jeff.”


”EJ, can you reach into my pocket right there,” as he points. “Just kidding,” as he pulled his hand free.


“I thought you said these where magical chains?” EJ asked.


“Oh they are, but there’s only one place I can unlock these that Morgan can’t go” pointing to the ones on his leg.


“Where’s that Jeff?”


Jeff smiles as he gripped EJ hand. “You’ll see providing your not Morgan that is.”


The dungeon swirls around them as the light spring’s forth bright white in every corner. The sweet scent of apple blossom as they fell off from the trees, Landed in EJ’s hair as he picked them up throws them in the air. A garden brook waterfall flowing down a stream of cool water, Jeff reads the words in Elvin tongue “TERVEA EVST NAS” watching the chains fall away from his feet. Two people come out to greet them dressed in white with a silver lining.


Jeff and EJ finding two men pacing up down in front of Jeff, Jeff knowing one of the men as Derrick Ryker the Judge of time and the Mayor of Springfield. The other he is not all that familiar with known as Bowden. Which was odd to him that Judge (”Derrick”) he was now part of the brotherhood.


“You have come far, my friend. Please sit and refresh yourself for your journey is long and hard not to mention you are late.” Derrick said looking over at Jeff. “Oh yes we have been expecting you,” giving Jeff a serious glance, “but what is time without its bumps along the way, for it is the journey that one takes to get here.”


The first man known as Derrick looked upon EJ with gentle eyes. “It has been for told among the stars young one that your star will shine the brightest among many stars. For this reason, I wish to give you a gift. When you look at the stars they will be your guide and your strength so when you are lost look up. For they will strengthen you on your journey and guide you on the path of the light and truth.”


The other man known as Bowden kneels before him. “I to wish to give you a gift” handing him a bow with no arrows. “This bow will always shoot straight in reason and truth. The arrows you make using knowledge, skill, wit… If you use them, it and you are wise and skillful even…” The man stands, “Plain old dumb luck works just as well too,” as he rubs EJ’s head. “As you strike well what you seek. After all, not everyone can have a friend like Jeff by their side to get them into trouble. In this case, you are knee deep in it my friend. The least you could have done is to let people know what you planned on doing down there.”


“Well, it just sorts of just happened,” Jeff answered.


“Yes, I know. You created another mess on another world looking for this here boy…..” Derrick replied.


“You do realize what you have done boy by saving this young lad?” Bowden asked Jeff.


“Yes. I took him out of Morgan’s reach so he couldn’t harm him anymore.”


“Yes, you did that. And EJ is grateful I’m sure, but you are not the one that was supposed save him at least not yet anyway.” Bowden replied.


Derrick's eyes softened as puts his arm around him. “Think Jeff, if you were in Morgan’s shoes right this very moment, you found out that EJ was missing. Then think of all the power he has right now, and all the forces at his command. Then think of all the people that are trying to reach this boy and their journey.  Then think of all the people that are in danger because of Morgan then times it by two.”


Jeff's head drops as he looked far away over the cloudless skies. Jeff glances back at EJ sitting under the tree resting talking to Bowden laughing. “He has to go back doesn’t he?” He asked.


“Yes….. And no…” Derrick smiles……“There is another way Jeff.”


“How?”


“The bond you have goes both ways. He shares it with you as you share it with him.”


“Yes, but I’m dead EJ’s not.”


“Yes, we know that. Morgan doesn’t… Now what we are supposing…” Derrick and Jeff watched EJ with amusement under the tree. “That you trade place with the boy. You would feel everything he feels if you were him except for a few exceptions. With your memories and some of his through the bond and you would lose all your abilities of course since the boy has none except for the gifts that were granted to him and one extra, your already dead and the body that your using, let just say.” As they both looked at EJ over at the tree. “Will be temporarily changed, so would yours too match EJ's.”


Jeff ponders paced along the large gate and the tree of the flowering blossoms, looking over the hills. Jeff looked over at his friend Derrick leaning against the post and EJ “what will happen to him if I take his place?”


His friend smiled. “He will be saving you, my friend. For the two cannot survive without the other by his side.”


Jeff paced and watched the two people conversing with EJ thinking of his own life. Thinking of all things he was willing to give up. It wasn’t the first time he made this choice, but things were different back then and simpler... or were they? Jeff thinking of his past life that he was so willing to give up because nobody seemed to listen to him, what he really wanted in life seems so petty now. “I should have tried harder finding the courage this boy has that somewhere inside we all have.” For the first time, it wasn’t all that hard of a question of could I? Or would I? The answer was simple watching a simple boy who he has watched grow over the years until now. The question was will I do it to save him and the people around him?


Jeff walked back to the tree where EJ is talking to his friend he looks up at Jeff. “I have decided I will go back to take EJ’s place,” placing his hand on EJ shoulder.


EJ looked up at Jeff with his deep blue eyes. “Take my place for what?”


Derrick and Bowden laughed at little boy amazement. “EJ what we're trying to say is how would you like to go home to the Downing’s?” Derrick replies.


“You mean it?” EJ asked.


Derrick laughed putting his arm around the boy. “Yes EJ. Every word, but there’s something’s you need to know first my boy.” Derrick looked into the distance. “Walk with me for a while so I can stretch my legs a bit.” After some distance down a road a few paces along large orchard. EJ could see the worry in this man Derrick face as he looked across the open fields. “EJ things have changed last time you were home, but all things change and must change, you know this,” Derrick said looking deep into EJ eyes.


EJ nods. “Yes, Pa told me I can’t hold thing’s back just because I won’t let them not to change or nothing changes.”


“Your Pa is a very wise man.” EJ nods his head. “The world we live in and the world you live in is changing too. Some good and not so good like Morgan. He’s one those is trying to force things to change to all bad his way. While others like myself and Jeff, Bowden, and others you might know are fighting to against this, forcing people to change like Morgan.”


“You know Derrick, Morgan’s”, EJ said sitting on the grass. “That great big buffoon, if he thinks he can change everyone minds that he’s right. I’d be a monkey uncle. I would know. I’ve seen him behind the cage bars. Wondering myself what side of the cage I was on? Him looking in or me looking out.”


“Yes, but right now that great big monkey got a great big stick and a whole lot of little monkeys. Speaking of monkeys what to do with you, my boy?” Derrick smiles watching Jaydan come down the road laughing. EJ jumps up with a start with his eyes wide seeing an old friend from the past comes to greet him.


Jaydan ran over to EJ puts his arm around him as the soft tears of old memories of a school teacher and friend fill him with a warm smile. “EJ my boy,” giving him one more hug before letting him go. EJ looks around for Jeff down the lane of the orchard trees. EJ could sense something has changed, but what? He doesn’t feel or look any different.


Derrick and Jaydan could see the puzzlement in EJ’s face as he looked at the tree and the gate once where they all gathered. Derrick kneels taking EJ hand looking him in the eye “Jeff not here anymore EJ. He’s giving his life for you so you can live…. It was the only way and his choice. Now you must make the same choice for him. Are you willing to save his life in turn….?”



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

54 Views
Added on February 18, 2019
Last Updated on January 23, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep