Chapter 18

Chapter 18

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 18


Jaydan took EJ’s hand looked into his eyes and smiles. “Your brothers and family look just like you do EJ. Another reason Jeff could not see you. Because Morgan uses your memories against you and has lied to you, Jeff mind had to be clear of all things of you now and the present, but there is a thing that is still tied to him and you, that is called the bond you share with him. We must sever that bond for a time so Morgan cannot use it against you or him.”


Jaydan could tell he was confusing EJ by the look on his face.  “EJ watch.” Jaydan taking his finger drew a line in the dirt. “The line is the bond you share (feelings, memories) when you're in trouble. Jeff knows about it depending on the kind of trouble you get into as a kid, he acts or doesn’t act.” Jaydan laughed. “But feelings and memories can, are the source that can hurt the most or help depending on the on the kind. Now back to the line, they are constant. Making a bond like this line, what we need to do.” Jaydan takes his finger, “is cut the line putting a large knot in it.”


EJ nods his head, thinking he understands. “Morgan will use those against Jeff and you will feel everything Jeff does. Jeff can withstand that kind of pain whereas you can’t. You are still very much alive where he isn’t anymore. This is why we need to sever the bond for now.”


“This bond we share,” EJ asked redrawing the line. “You said it works both ways.”


“Yes EJ that’s true… That’s how Jeff found out you were in trouble and needed help.” Jaydan replied.


“Then if I am supposed to help him. How will I know he needs help if we cut the bond?”


Jaydan and the Derrick ponder looked down at small boy staring back at them waiting for an answer. Derrick kneels down beside EJ on the ground asking him. “What do you suppose we do EJ?”


EJ looked at lines on the ground. “Jeff is my friend… how can I find him if I feel nothing?”


Derrick could see the hurt in the boy’s eyes as he looks at the gate where his friend has gone. Derrick brushed the hair out of the boy's face. “There is one thing that can not be cut EJ. Some say it is a feeling, memories lost long ago. If you wish hard enough and believe it possible like this place you see around you. Anything is possible if you need more convincing just take a hard look at yourself in the water and look at your reflection. You won’t find the boy of EJ anymore for he is gone for a time and we are ready to take you home. That is if you are ready of course?”


EJ turned around looks up at Derrick and Jaydan with the biggest smile he could possibly give. “Oh yes, please I want to go home more than ever.”  Jaydan, EJ walked alone towards the gate Derrick smiles giving EJ hug whispering in his ear “I’ll see you soon my dear boy.”


Derrick gives Jaydan a nod and pat on the back with thanks slipping the old map back into Derrick’s pocket and the second key Lenny gave Jeff.


Jaydan tapped his staff at the gate making gateway a few miles from camp, where he had a tent and few belongings and EJ’s pony waiting. EJ watched the gateway close and is amazed. “Never thought this was possible, but then again after seeing what Morgan can do anything was possible,” he said


EJ stares about the surroundings looked at Jaydan with puzzlement and disappointment. EJ takes one step as he fell to the ground, his new body too weak to go much further.  Jaydan catches him picked the boy up in his arms carries him into the tent. Placing a warm blanket over him. “EJ things are different here then when you were in that world with me, Derrick, Bowden, and Jeff.  Your body was in a dream state allowing you to be free from your body for a time.” Jaydan props EJ’s head up giving him some more nourishment.


EJ tries to spit it out because taste sour, unlike the stuff he had earlier, “Oh that tastes nasty. What is it?” He asked.


“Apples and plums with cinnamon the same stuff I gave you earlier. Quite good actually for this time of year,” taking a small taste with his finger. “Your pony likes it too, he’s having that for supper tonight. You, my friend, are having rabbit cooked on nice open fire, apples and more plums and some, walla some potatoes.” EJ’s mouth was watering as the rabbit was being cooked.


“Jaydan there’s something I can’t figure out. I realize that there are two different worlds actually according to Bowden several.” EJ said looking at the sky through the tent. “The question is if I was in this so-called dream state where was my body and how did I get here?”


“EJ your body never left Morgan’s dungeon, Jeff couldn’t take it with him just you when you are in a sleeping state, which still doesn’t explain how you still have a body here and one over there in Morgan cell. The best way I can explain it is.” Jaydan takes an apple and cuts it in half… Place one half in EJ right and other in his left hand. “How many apples do you have EJ?” He asked.


“Is this one those trick questions?”


Jaydan laughs, “no.”


“None. I have two halves,” he replies


“But if you put them back together.” Bring his hands together. “You have 1 apple. So your answer was incorrect. So basically through the bond of the apple, we made it possible for you to share each of the halves. He needed a body of flesh and bone, you needed to be with your family and friends and them with you. The only difference you don’t look like EJ and he doesn’t look like Jeff and you look like somebody else entirely. Speaking of which of somebody else, EJ I really hate to do this to you my friend and hope you will forgive me.”


Jaydan setting the mixture of the bonding tonic next him, “EJ when you wake up you won’t remember any of this night or Derrick, Bowden or Jeff coming to save you…”


“But why?”


“It has to be done this way for your own good and for the lives of thousands out there. When you wake you will be home with your Ma and Pa and all your brothers and sisters. You won’t be EJ anymore either I’m afraid. Do you trust me enough to get you home EJ? I brought you here because we were being followed.


"They are about a two-hour ride from here. My main camp is just over that hill, you see that man over there leaning against the tree. He’s one of my Captions, he been watching us, making sure we are safe from everyone. We had a battle here the night before some of Morgan’s men. They want this place for there stronghold very bad.


“I’m telling you this because after I give you this tonic which is known as bonding, which makes you forget for awhile lets your body and mind heal. In time you will remember what was lost. Do you understand EJ?”


Jaydan taking his hand EJ smiling, “this wasn’t part of our plan either.” Jaydan laughed mixing the last bits. “You boys had some plan before all this started; climbing out of a bedroom window, having friends over at your place that one weekend.”


EJ looks surprised. “You knew about that?”


“Knew about it? That’s all Will and Robert talked about for days. No, our plan was to sneak all of us in somehow, give you first the stuff that makes you a wood elf which you are and your whole family is by the way. That’s it drink it nice and slow and pour this down you, sneak you out the back before Morgan found out,” he replied laughing.


EJ yawns, “Glad you didn’t. He would have killed you all before you got out the door.”


“Me too my boy, me too,” Jaydan said. Dosing out the fire picks up EJ, puts his arms around his neck, and took one last look at the old campsite before opening the gateway. “Alright, fella let’s take this boy back to his Ma.”


Jaydan wasn’t stupid considering the recent advents of Lenny and queen of the pixies. Nobody in their right mind these days traveled on the streets not unless they had arm guard by their side. People were locking windows and bolting the doors, not even a mouse ventured out at night anymore.


Derrick was pacing the floor of the house of the Tweeds. “They should have been here by now,” he replied.


Everyone was uptight, ready to spring at the door at the slightest sound. The time came at last as Jaydan knocked on the door carrying a large laundry basket with clothes with two guards helping with it inside the house with two others as decoys and some supplies for the household.


Jaydan and Derrick waited till the men left the house taking the horse back to the stable. “That will be all Caption.” Jaydan dismissing the men then quickly locked the door. Jaydan smiles at everyone in the room removing the clothes out of the one basket.


Underneath the clothing was sleeping boy that brought tears to a mothers eyes, as she falls near the basket touching his little face. His body all curled up so small he barely even weighed anything as Pa picked him up in his arms as the tears rolled down his cheek.


The boy did not know he was home as his Ma and Pa held him so close to them, yet so gentle as if he would break. The gratitude could not be expressed into words what they felt looking at Derrick and Jaydan that day. They had their little boy back and that was enough, it was the world to them.


Derrick's face grew long with worry looking outside down the road. He knew what was out there… they didn’t. This was just a Band-Aid, not a solution to a greater problem as he looked at the sleeping boy, yet they waited a long time for this moment. “There’s not a lot he could do, but wait. The question is can he afford to wait?”


Derrick watched the boy and his parents hold the sleeping boy in their arms hoping to look down the road we did all this for nothing. For these two halves are the key not just for their world, but for many worlds like them.


Derrick gathers his strength watching the love this family has for the boy, realizing the brotherhood is right the boy needs time to heal and find his way again so does Jeff for that matter. They have severed the bonds enough between them allowing them the time they need to be set upon their journey.


Derrick paced couple more times in front of the fireplace clasping his hands together waiting for Drealin to come back down the stairs. “Everything is ready as you asked sir,” as he bows to Derrick.


Derrick straddles the chair the wrong way so he can see everyone eye to eye in the room. 
“I realize this might not be a good time right now pointing to your son here. Which has put you in greater danger by being here with you yet at the same time his chance of survival were even less?


Morgan is still out there and is hard bent in finding you all and destroying you, which is very real if you need a reminder just look outside and at your son. This boy you’re holding is Sylen your son, nothing has changed except like you and your appearance and name and your way of life. When he wakes he won’t remember just like you did at first how he got here or his other name. He’s very weak as you can tell just by the look of him. He’ll need lots of rest and love which I’m sure.” Derrick smiles, “without a doubt, he will get plenty of.”


Derrick gets very serious. “Then hard part comes which will affect all of you. For a time he may have to be hidden away in secret as the danger increases for him and his counterpart, but this is a joyous time, why spoil it. Right?” Derrick lets out a laugh that shakes the floor. “Sir Drealin says the boy’s room is ready if you like to take him up put him to bed.”


Lily looked at her husband, “not in these old rags, and not after I washed him good and clean.” Jaydan laughs watching his parents marching their little boy in her arms with his Pa right behind him.


Derrick waves to everyone before leaving. “Looks like you have things under control here Drealin so I’ll leave you to it.”


“Yes sir,” he replied. 


Jaydan walks over to the boys giving them a nod pointing to the basement cellar. Jaydan opened the private room where they can all talk freely but doesn’t throw caution into the wind cast warding spell for those listening ears. “As you have guessed boys our plans have changed slightly?”


“Heck, I would call it a success. EJ’s home.” Jaydan giving Jasper a hard glance.


“Sylen is home. You must be more careful Jasper, Morgan has gotten more crafty lately. He uses our own thoughts and minds against us to bend to his will. You may have your brother back, but part of him is still missing. Morgan has the other part. It’s up to you three and rest of us to get it back.”


Jaydan breaks down all that has happen with Jeff that he can, that Jeff told Bowden told him. “So you see, Morgan holding Jeff and EJ hostage and at the same time, we have the same here except they're not really hostages they are our friend and your brother. They both have the same memories and feelings except now for a time they can’t feel each other... I think.” Wondering himself if they severed that bond enough. “Time will tell,” he sighed.


“This bonding thing sure gets complicated Jaydan,” Jasper's replied.


“It does, doesn’t it? That’s why we don’t do it very often unless there was a very good reason behind it. Now then I haven’t seen Lizzy for almost two weeks boys and I know you are aching to spend some time with your brother. Just remember what I said he hasn’t been found yet, well never mind he’s your brother that’s all that matters regardless if he is mostly wood elf.”


Jasper and Grayson ran up the stairs just as Pa was putting him into bed, “easy now.” Ma telling Pa too be gentle as she placed pillows behind his little head.


“I know, I know Ma,” he smiles with everyone in the room watching him.


“I brought up the knitting you asked for my Lady,” Drealin said.


“That’s fine Drealin, just sit there by the chair for me and I think that will be all today. You and your wife have a pleasant evening tonight say hello to your kids for me.”


“I’ll do that.” Drealin taking another look at the boy in the bed and everyone pleased as punch on hot Sunday afternoon. “If you need anything…?”


“I know.” Lily not looking away for an instant, “you’ll be the first one I call after my dear sweet husband. Who has all his men posted right outside my flower bed tearing up my roses?”


“I’ll get you some more dear, I promise,” taking her hand not looking away from his son sleeping.


“I know you will dear, one for each day I had to wait for him to return into my arms.”


Drealin wiped a tear from his eye as he watched his mother kiss the boys cheek. He knew that the world was right again.


Backing out of the room down the stairs he sighs. “Yes, things are looking up.” Putting on his coat and hat he turned towards the door, he freezes feeling a cold chill running down his spine. He could hear people in the streets yelling down the road.


Drealin ran up the stairs as quick as he can Arken and Lily all ready grabbing their son off the bed. “Quickly in here,” Drealin said opening the secret passageway of the house. Counting heads as they go through the door then closing it tight behind them locking it in place. Pa taking their sleeping son putting him over his shoulders, Grayson and Jasper picking up each of the little boys in their arms, Ma carrying little Jess. Analy carrying Vanen while Brandy made sure nobody was following behind them....



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

71 Views
Added on February 18, 2019
Last Updated on January 23, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep