Chapter 19-1

Chapter 19-1

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 19-1


Pa picked up his son in one swoop Ma the blanket, makes a run for the tunnel with her boy laughing in Pa’s arms. Ma reached the corner laughing as Pa place Sylen in her lap smiling as she wraps the blanket back around him. Jaydan smiles watching them and really beings to worry watching the people come in droves. Drealin checking the items off the list shaking his head watching the pile recede down almost to nothing.


“Sir,” Drealin pointing to the list of things. Jaydan knew very well what was happening as the items trickle down to nothing. These people did not how to share, they were in it for themselves. Taking more than they needed while others would go without like wolves among the flock. Derrick was right. He was in for some hard times ahead, not just fighting off the attacks of Morgan, but from his own people.


Underneath the cavern, everyone could feel it shake as if someone or something was blasting a hole right out of the mountain. The men outside screaming back into the tunnels for cover as the rocks explode into little pieces. “Now that’s better.” As they hear women cough as she climbed out on her hands and knees helping some more people out.


“Oh my!” Margaret said looking around. “What a mess.” looking at people in the hole “you better stay there till I know it safe.”


“Yes Margaret, we will.” holding their children close to them.


Margaret turned with her eyes amber hot, hair flowing in the hot air steps forward away from the mountain. Her hands clenched tight around her staff. Points with her staff on the cliffs, “you I can see.” As she raised her staff of white flame, “how you dare enter this valley of green with your poison?” She yelled.


The Darzzee looked and shakes crying out to his master as he falls to his knees dead with his four comrades beside him. Margaret cries looking at the house where her family was. Now smashed to cinders, not even a frame stood standing. For the first time, she felt alone as she slowly weeps. A man places an arm around her. “Woman why do weep for something that is not dead or gone?” He asked.


Margaret recognized the voice as she turns around seeing Jaydan standing by her side. "
You mean?”


“Oh yes. They are inside waiting for you, in fact, wondering where you are. Tell you the truth I was worried myself because I need all the help I can get. But did you have to blow up my mountain to get my attention?” He asked.


“Sorry, I got tired of waiting. Those annoying wizards and their wives could drive a person batty.”


Jaydan, Aunty M entered the cavern with her group. It didn’t take long as she searched the room finding just what she was looking for. Plus one extra surprise when she looks on the ground in Ma’s lap holding her boy against her sleeping comfortably now since his belly been full and has three blankets and a long cotton nightshirt keeping him warm. She wasn’t about to put him down on the hard cold floor just yet.


Aunty M kneels down taking his little hands brushing his hair. It was the most wonderful-est thing she has seen in a long time. Yet she could feel it. In the cavern, as night came closer she could see it in Jaydan as worry sets in. Looks around the room for Derrick watching the people, something was wrong. Aunty M slowly leaves hating too, but knowing the boy is good hands now. “Jaydan where’s Derrick? I could have sworn I heard his voice in the mountain.”


Jaydan slowly turned. “Yes, that was him saying goodbye.”


“Goodbye?” Aunty M sounded shocked.


Jaydan puts his arm around her. “Walk with me.” Passing the men stacking creates of food and bags of wheat grain, flour and salt and dry goods setting up makeshift tents outside the tunnel to house things in. Jaydan slowly brings her update as they sit outside watching the men work, another group of people coming this way led by four Captions. “I was never cut out for this Margaret,” he said watching the people come down the broken road. “I’ve never lead anything in my life except a classroom, I always been on my own. Nathaniel is a lot more capable than me in these sort of things.”


“Yes he would the same about you I’m sure if he was in your shoes, but he can’t can he. Look around. These people are a lot stronger then you think. They built this town once long ago, now it’s up to you build a new one. I say let's have one heck of shindig bury our sorrows get the heck out of here. Oh, by the way, I killed those four Darzzee that might have been responsible for this mess on that cliff over there, but I do think your right there are dark souls in your group. I felt them when I walked in,” she said


“Now then my dear friend, regarding our little shindig. The cavern is out of the question due to the size unless you want me to make it bigger and since your supplies are running short. There more ways than one to skinning a skunk. One; gate all the people down to where your men are or bring men and supplies up here. Because you need the horses to pull the wagons with the supplies you have now.


“Unless by some off chance some of the livestock survived and the horses here made it besides one lucky horses EJ’s Pony and we just haven’t found them yet. Either way, you are going to need those men and supplies regardless. Now for the people here like I said move them all down where your men are, leaving a few up here to resume the search while you gather what you need for your people to move them.”  She said as she looked around the area for a hint of green and hope.


Jaydan takes a long look at Margaret. “How about I just leave you in charge, I’ll follow you,” he replied.


“Because Jaydan the job wasn’t left to me that’s why and I have a pretty good idea that reason was because it was meant for you. Not for Nathaniel or me. You see before Derrick left we had nice chat on that hill over there. It didn’t make any sense to me then as he looked far away. He placed me right where I need to be. I thought he was crazy old fool making me a nanny of so many children to watch over them, to care for them as my own.


“Today when our world was falling apart I gathered all the children and their mothers that I could with me and made a hole in that mountain for our lives. It was not by chance or by accident as we huddle together in the dark waiting for it to stop. No Jaydan he knew the hour, he knew the task that was suited for the person. Nathaniel has his task and you have yours, it’s me that follows you, my dear friend.”


Drealin came out of the tunnel looking for Jaydan, and bows to him. “Oh please Drealin you don’t need to do that, get up man,” Jaydan replied.


Drealin just smiled ignores him handing the list of supplies found. “I found a number of cooks for you just like you asked sir they just want to know what to prepare and how many are coming to dinner.”


Aunty M laughs slapping Jaydan on the back. “What?” Jaydan face grows long pacing back and forth. “Tell them to prepare anything that will make my mouth water for more and cook as much food as they would for an army of 300 hungry soldiers and stress very hungry. I want those belly’s full tonight every last one Drealin you tell them that.” He said.


“Yes, sir.”


Aunty M and Jaydan headed back inside the tunnel where all the people are now. It was really getting crowded as people nearly stepping over each other, they wanted to be with everyone afraid of being left behind.


Jaydan could see this was not working out as the tunnel was being filled with people in corners of little families. Margaret was right, either they had all be out in the hot sun looking at the town blown to bits or find a better place for refuge and soon. The air was stifling and the stench was growing inside the cave of so many people with no air moving around the room.


Jaydan stands on a crate, so everyone could see him and waited for the crowd to be quiet. “People I know your frightened what is out there seeing our homes and countryside gone as if the world itself has died with it. I to am moved, but I am just one person and need your help if we are going to make it.


“This cavern is not big enough to hold us all as much as I would like it to. There are more people coming from the neighboring towns some not as bad off as we are yet. But their land is dieing all the same within hours or days, this poison, this disease that plagues our lands will far reach them.


“I have seen it on other worlds like ours some call the plague of death, for it leaves nothing in its path alive. Our only hope is to find a place where has not reached, till the soil once more for a season maybe two. And gather the supplies, foraging, sharing our knowledge with each other as we look and build a new safe haven to call our own.


“With that in mind, we are not abandoning our friends and our families that may still be here waiting on us to find them, for the search goes on as we speak. With that in mind, I have asked 5 of my best Captions who I trust and place you in their hands to move you to a safer place. Where there’s lots of fresh air, green grass, trees, and open space. Then we will have a nice dinner and entertainment under the stars all together.”


Jaydan quickly steps off the crate. “Alright, Margaret. I hope for our sakes we can pull it off.”


Margaret said. “That is why I’m going down first before the rest. I hate surprises and you don’t let them out of your sight.” Margaret pointing to three men standing over in a corner watching Jaydan with interest, “one these men is your spy.”


Jaydan face stunned looking at the corner where she was pointing. It was the Caption he pointed to EJ on the hill watching their campsite. He was a long friend and a companion that he fought with by his side many times. He has saved his life a couple of times in battle Caption Walters.


Now he is standing very close to the boy whom his friend had saved. Jaydan hands clinched white with anger then released as he regains control. “This no time for a battle, there will be a place and time as he focuses on the task. But there is one thing he can do” looking around the room.


“Caption Walters, I need you to organize 50 people into a group with Caption Richards making sure each person has the basic needs according to Sir Drealin, then take them down to the campsite.”


“…But… I thought were staying here sir?” Walters replied.


“Why? There’s nothing but dried up dirt and old buildings, we need fresh air and sunshine,” as Jaydan walks away.


It only took a couple of hours before Jaydan had his first group of people. As they walked through the tunnels back outside, where they could see the broken town of Springfield. The second gate opened on the north side of the mountain with 3 wagons and 8 more soldiers giving Jaydan a nod and his loyal Caption Rigs driving one of the wagons salutes him. “Glad to see you again old friend.” as Rigs jumps down from the wagon. Caption Rigs looks around at the town. “Margaret was right. Sure is a mess, nothing but dried up dirt.”


“How are things down there Caption?” Jaydan asked watching the men load the wagons almost dropping a sack of flour on the ground. He could see mistakes happening right before his eyes. Jaydan made his over to the wagon. “easy son,” helping him lift the sacks of flour


“Thanks, Mr.” The young lad smiles.


“Anytime, say I’m looking for a boy about your size to run a few errands for me.”


“I can’t sir. I am supposed to help load this wagon like my Pa told me to.”


“Who’s your Pa boy?” The boy points to the Caption talking to an older gentleman. “I see.” Caption Rigs smiles watching Jaydan walk over to the Young man’s father introduce himself with the boy shaking hands and the boy leaping about Jaydan like a tadpole on stilts.


“Caption Rigs meet Jared. I’m sure you could use a good errand boy.” Caption Rigs shakes hands laughed slapping the young boy on the back.


“Anyway, things are better down there than here sir. Plenty of wood for cooking and lots of space to spread out into groups to get organized.” The boy tagging along like a lost puppy Rigs smiles as Jaydan laughs at the amusement of the boy.


“Well, then I won’t keep you Caption since you have things well under control…” Jaydan replied.


“Yes …but… the boy,” Caption Rigs tries to get out of it.


“Oh, he’s all yours.” 


“What?”


Jaydan laughed walking away with the biggest smile on his face. Things were going well, a few bumps now again as Jaydan walks the confines of the groups. He was standing on the hill where Derrick planned to build the jewel of the town that would have held and hidden the biggest mystery of all. Looking down the cobble street road now crumbled by broken buildings people picking up the pieces of scattered books of pages of old history.


Jaydan fumbles in his pocket for the key he still has of many now to several libraries of borrowed books. The one thing about being a wizard is the people you know and books they hold. If you borrow book its fine because it’s always returned to the owner in the first place when no longer need it. So with a wizard, all books are borrowed that way they are never really lost.


It just matters which library they happen to be in at the time when you borrowed them. Unless of course, you are the wizard that owned the books and lend them out, then you are in trouble because either you need a bigger library if something happens to all the wizards, all books will be returned to you all at once or you were a fool to lend them all out in the first place at the same time or find more wizards to lend books to...


Jaydan returns under a lean-to showing the map of the caves and the old city and the tunnel system working with other sec was difficult, to say the least of his problems as he watched his countrymen leave through the gate down to the main camp. The wizards there have their way of doing things. The Pixies had theirs and so on and so on. “You expect us just to leave? They could be still out there somewhere.” It was the same old question.



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

43 Views
Added on February 19, 2019
Last Updated on January 23, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep