Chapter 19-2

Chapter 19-2

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 19-2


Jaydan finally had to make a choice. “I can’t be in two places at once. They need me to provide what I can give them down at the main camp there. They are ready to move while your standing questioning if this is the right choice. Look around you, Morgan is everywhere and I have to find a safe place for all them. I not abandoning them I just can’t be here to do what you want me to do while others are suffering too and I can help them. I’m not Derrick and I am doing the best I can with what I have. I am sorry, but that’s my decision. You can stay and look if like, but I’m leaving with the last group with you or without you and will return when I can.”


With great sadness, he walked away into the caverns with sir Drealin. “The last group is just about ready sir, I found some extra clothes for the boy and they are dressing him now. He’ll be in the middle with the rest of the children in the wagon like you order next to his aunt and two sisters.”


Lily looked at Jaydan as she handed her son over to his Aunty M calmly takes the boy lifting him up over the rest of the children. “Man alive you have gotten light boy, what they been feeding you corn stocks?”


Sylen laughed. “No Aunty M just bad water and rotten old bread,” he whispers in her ear because he wasn’t sure he could say anything.


“I got just the thing.” She said pulling out a bag of apples passing around the wagon to each of the children and whispering back. “I have an extra one just for you,” setting him gently on her lap. Yells, “already back here Caption Tweed.” Jaydan helped Lily up on the seat and his men opening a gate to the camp; Jaydan takes one last look before going in behind them wave’s to five wizards and the Queen of the Pixies and one knee abees and two wood elves standing under a lean-to.


It was rough as Jaydan looks out among his people scattered into different groups, but at least they were all together in one place. The air was clean and the sun was still shining he was guessing they probably had a good four hours maybe five tops of sunlight left in the day. The main tents wore and torn from a recent battle, but all and all things look might sight better looking at the green trees and grass of the fields.


The key things he had learn off the field and on the field was a man's will to survive and how to act and what needs to be done. He was no soldier not by long shot, but he knew how to survive on his own. A man needs food and shelter are his main goals, and everything else is secondary.  Again he has the same problem as he looked around at the people lost look in their eyes. Jaydan paces around the camp kicking rocks into the creek below watching the ripples. Thinking of his old friend Derrick and this task he left him to do. This time another friend comes puts an arm around him not saying a word just looks out in the distance. “Well Jaydan we keep coming back don’t we?” Arken replied


Jaydan smiled. “Yes. Except your farm is clear over there in shambles last I heard and New Downing not a pleasant stay either.”


“Yes, but they do have one thing over there in that town that just might come in handy for these folks. If you are willing to say borrow them awhile.”


“What’s that?” He asked.


“Tents.”


Jaydan eyes lit up. “That’s right, the old farmer's picnic. those tents are still in storage.” Then Jaydan face went blank. “But I can't send you to get them.” Looking at his refection “or your boys, in fact, half my people, they are not what would call you know country folk they are more Elvin folk nature.”


“Yes, but Margaret not…” Arken replied.


“I am not what?” As she passes by filling bucket water for the cook stove.


“Elvin,” Jaydan replied.


“Graces no I am not, thank you.” She said almost leaving in a huff.


Jaydan and Arken catching up too her, “that’s why you would be perfect for this task.” Jaydan replied.


“What task?”


“We need someone to go into New Downing and retrieve as many tents as possible that were left behind from the framer's picnic,” Arken replied.


“You’re joking?” Margaret setting the bucket down….”The last time I was there … I barely escape with my life now you want to risk it again.”


“Well, it was just a thought anyway… Well just go with plan B and send 10 maybe 12 soldiers in with wagons should do it with your boys help and you Arken since you know where they are.” Walking away from Margaret getting ready calling his Captions over, “Caption Rig’s?”


“Yes, sir?”


“Can you?” Jaydan getting ready to relay the order.


“Wait. I’ll do it, for the children.” Margaret said looking down at the ground.


“Yes, sir you need something?” He asked.


“Yes. Margaret here needs a wagon and anything else she needs sees that she gets it.” Jaydan smiled. “Thanks, Margaret,” and walks away watching her nip at the Caption Rigs heels as he moves quickly. “Carry on Caption I want this camp running like and well-oiled machine.”


Arken smiles as he salutes Jaydan then barking orders to his men. “Now then.” Jaydan walking hands clasped behind his back watching with more careful eye making sure he knows where the boy is at all times. Panic strikes him looking in the crowd not seeing him or his mother or the spy for that matter. Jaydan at a brisk walk through crowds of people in the field then breathes deep seeing her and the boy on the grass laying on a blanket comfortably.


The spy standing over on the other side speaking with another group of people eyeing the boy and Jaydan, Sir Drealin walked up to Jaydan from behind scaring the living daylights out of him. Tapping him on the shoulder, “sorry sir to bother you with this, but the question has been raised around the camp if we are still going to have tonight’s festivities in light of all that has happened. The two wizards you assigned are not among the group one’s got to wonder.”


Jaydan cracks up of all things for people to worry about. “My good man Drealin. You just tell them if they ask, it will be a show they will never forget.” Jaydan laughs walking over to Mrs. Tweed and Sylen “and how are you holding up?” He asked.


“Just fine Jaydan thank you, it just little lonely, but will manage won’t we son?”


“You bet Ma now that I see the sun again,” Sylen replied.


“Well for the lonely part I kinda need your sisters and your Pa, but I’ll see if can get your brothers and find you some books to read, but it's going to be dark soon anyway.” Jaydan makes his way around the camp the best he can, gathering bits of information here and there and what he planned to do for the night and the next day or so.


Caption Rigs counted heads. Bring him all the names of all the parties of every group.  “We have a total of 350 people, sir, counting all children and soldiers.” He replied.


How many did we leave behind?” Jaydan asked.


Caption shakes his head. “Best guest 70 to 100?” Jaydan hated this part looking at the numbers knowing that there is a small chance they will find them tomorrow in the other caverns that were hidden by the other sec or they all died without suffering. He looked towards the west cursing Morgan’s name for all the senseless killing as he tries to save what’s left of his people.



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

65 Views
Added on February 19, 2019
Last Updated on January 23, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep