Chapter 21-1

Chapter 21-1

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 21-1


Jaydan walked through rooms of the chamber where his library was and potions and tonics. Giving Martha another key with a warning as she nods, then returns them back having them watch his movement and the words he uses.  Then checking the ward first before saying anything, but something had changed as Martha noticed something was moved. Jaydan looks as he sees two guards standing in the same place as before. The ward was broken as Jaydan confronts the guard. “Has anyone come looking for me,” he asks.


“No, sir.” The other guard felt nervous as he looked at other guards. Jaydan knew he was lying. Didn’t say anything just went back inside the tent casting another ward. “That one will be replaced, but other one that sweated he knew the other guy was lying, you see I told someone to move that and come out in front of the guards. So you could see and feel what it is like when some has listened or broken your ward is like. Because you are going to need that more than ever once we leave and other wards that come in handy when you are on the run.


“But you dear boy it takes most your strength which in time will return faster now that your eating for one apple.” Tossing a peach to each of them, “now then, I don’t want to spoil your dinner except yours.” Rubbing Sylen head, handed Sylen book from the library a beginner’s book of Tree Casting and Roots by Whittle Hasten fourteen century. Lily was reading a book on Elements and Energy by Utica Geten.


They did have one surprise visitor’s today that they weren’t expecting from New Downing as they made everyone nervous as the Tweeds watched a horse and buggy coming up the road then down through the field. Doc Hatfield and the Mayor were watching the goods leave town too often headed this way and wonder what in tar nation was going on and they haven’t seen Nathaniel for two days or Doc Whitmore for almost week. I don’t know who got the bigger surprise as our troops surround them and Jaydan and Nathaniel had to go rescue those poor men.


“Well Doc,” Margaret said as they looked at all the strange people and the tents being used. “You might as well come in,” Aunty M busting a gut at the look on Brads face as he sees his first off-world person beside Darzzee lizard that is.  The Mayor and Doc got a grand tour that night by fire as they had supper with them. Doc still couldn’t believe his eyes looking aunt Mary, and the rest of the family then the tears flowed from his eyes when saw the folks he was looking for as Jaydan took Brad and Doc inside the compound surrounded by soldiers.


Jaydan did one thing that made it worth the wait as they gathered in mess hall tent with aunts and all family so he would know it was them. He waved his hand in front of their eyes that night before entering the tent, casting away the illusion of mask that must not be seen.  For when they both walked in all they saw was them as their selves no mask, no wood elves just the Downing and the Whitmore’s and Stuarts as they were, including EJ as he sat next to his brothers and Danny. 


Doc and Brad cried like a baby as the tears flowed. Oh, how they missed them. Doc and Brad looked at Jaydan and Aunty M. “Are we dreaming or is this real?” Everyone laughed as they give them all a big hug and ladies a kiss on the cheek.


“Now you know that this is real Doc,” as they wiped their tears. Doc and Brad bowed their heads knowing the reason why they were allowed them to see this and only them. “You’re leaving soon.” Jaydan nods yes.


“Our journey must soon begin. It’s not safe here for them or us.” Brad, Doc raised their heads nod. “Well, your secret is safe with us. I may be old and stubborn, but I’m not stupid when I see good friends like these in our mist. Your welcome in my town anytime,” Brad replied.


“Actually Brad we were thinking about that, you see. We have to find a new home for 400 people or more considering ours kinda got blown up by Morgan, that’s why we’re here. Well one the reasons, the other reason was it being quickest one we could get to that had open spaces and we had some resources already here. Now I’m not talking 400 people just a few that might pass off as county folk as yourselves with extra skills.” Jaydan intoned.


“Yes, Nathaniel was telling us about that, that he could train some of our people in swordsmanship and how to fight when necessary. I thought that was a great idea,” Brad replied.


“Yes, I was also thinking some of the womenfolk and their families as well. For instants, Anna, show Doc how you throw a fireball at that lamp.” Anna smiles as she cast, Doc, Brad’s eyes pop right out their sockets as she cast a ball of fire from her hand throws it at the lamp in mere seconds like child's play. “Thank you… See Doc, Brad that’s what kind of community you would have. In fact, most the people here have those kinds of talents so it not un-comen to see someone walking down the street waving balls of light in their hand whereas is here it would be strange. Of course, these people would have to abide by your rules not do this, but don’t expect them not to either. Consider all people make mistakes no matter who they are or where they come from.”


Brad and Doc gasp at the near thought of this kind of community and questioned could it work for both sides? Helping each other. Nothing like this has ever been tried before as their minds try to grasp at the thought or idea and the possibilities.


Jaydan could see the worry in the men’s faces. “Well be here least couple more days at the most I think before we leave, but for now enjoy the company of your friends.” Jaydan leaves the tent taking his staff raise it high in the air placing a protection around it as if was in a giant glass bubble. Jaydan takes his wife by the arm Nathaniel and his family as they sit outside the tent having grand old feast watching over their friends and the camp on the hill. “No wonder he wants this spot, you can see everything for miles,” Nathaniel replied.


Doc and Brad talked of old times and things happening around New Downing They were all sad about their farms being ransacked, but as they looked at each other it was enough for they were all together and that’s what matters most. Beside Brad told them. Not to worry everything will be fixed just like it was as soon he gets back and that’s a promise.


Doc was just a little worried looking at EJ and Danny together again considering EJ supposed be missing still. Aunty M was good at lying. “What are you talking about Doc? EJ is not here!” As she pretends to look under the table and the plates, “nope no EJ, sorry Doc I guess he’s still missing.”


Before they really tell them what’s going on, feeling shocked with each glace then answer “No sir, we never saw him or Danny. In fact, the last time I saw the Downing’s was the beginning of spring,” laughing.


Brad pipes in. “Let’s see now Whitmore that was Sheriff Whitmore I believe. Yes, he was here for a time, comes and goes or was that Doctor Whitmore don’t see much of him either these days,” as he smiles with a twinkle in his eye.


Doc and the Mayor had the best night of their life as Lenny once again put on private show just for them in the compound, Jaydan found couple more wizards as he brought them in the middle to perform for the people so they would not go without, as his little group watched them down from the hill.


Doc and Brad hated to say goodbye to them as they gave each one more hug and a promise because they knew it could cost them their very lives and the town if they even spoke a word of what happened to the Downing’s and the Whitmore’s and some part of the Stuart family as they looked at Betty and Richard. 


Doc whispered to Betty. “I’ll do my best in keeping tabs on them for ya so they don’t stray too far Betty not to worry.” Betty handing a letter for each of her sons to give them in a sealed envelop. Of words, she could not express over the phone that each one needed to hear.


Nathaniel took them all back to town with Granny and Ned in the wagon with six of his men following with bedrolls on the back of the horses. Nathaniel knew where he belonged as he headed for home as he waved to his friends on the hill. He was their watchmen and their rock and the coming of the storm.



* * * *

 


It was a hard thing for a man to face his wife when he comes through the door when she asks ‘where have you been tonight?’ And for the first time he married her, he could not answer that question as he looked into her eyes.he wanted to cry out and shout so loud as it burned him  knowing that if tell her that he broke his  promise and she would never forgive him once she heard the reason why he didn’t hold it even then from her.


 “Sorry I was late dear we were going over some plans on the town to make it more secure so monster like those lizards couldn’t come in.” Kisses her on the cheek “oh by the way Ned and Granny are back from visiting relatives, did you know Nathaniel and her got hitched?” Leaving her standing there.


Doc had a different, but difficult problem as he walked into a small makeshift hospital looking at Linda sitting with a nurse at the table while patent’s slept. Not many beds left now thank goodness, but still he had a feeling more are to come according to the news he heard today. Doc looks at Linda one more time hoping. “Can I look at her say no every time someone asks about her boys, where’s EJ? How is he? Where’s Danny? Are they coming home?


The same tired old question that breaks a mother’s heart. Yet knowing at the same time he is right where he suppose to be, well mostly which even a Doctor of science has a hard time dealing with. His real body is somewhere else being used by another person who is dead. While his new body that is his now may be real enough created by mater and magic putting his spirit inside it…..” Yet… Doc looks around the room at empty beds thinking of tonight “anything is possible. I guess this stubborn old mule can believe that too.”


Doc puts his hand on Linda's shoulders sends her back to Jaydan house. “Oh, Linda. I don’t think Jaydan going to be back for a long while so if want add your own flavor to the cottage you're more than welcome to it. Nathaniel said the house is yours if you want it.” Watching her smile considering it was big enough for three thinking of her boy’s as the guards walked beside her. She takes their arm gladly wishing her husband was more like them as she watches them sit outside her home protecting her…..



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

54 Views
Added on February 19, 2019
Last Updated on January 24, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep