Chapter 24-1

Chapter 24-1

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 24-1



* * * *

 


The Queen of pixies (“Lorana”) and the Knee abees (“Kertwen”) were still not convinced that they should not leave Springfield even thou they have been counseled many times with Jaydan and others that there is nothing more that can be done. For the remaining few they think are still alive which is unlikely for it has been nearly a month since the destruction of their town.


With a heavy heart, they ask for one last chance wondering if the Whitmore’s if they could and or willing, almost pleading. To heal their forest before they leave it behind in hopes that if they did survive, that they would have a place to live once again.


But that was not Lorana only intention as she begs. For in her heart she knew it was time like all things as she looked around the camp what’s left of her pixies. A new Queen must be chosen, she has known this for a long time as she has sat alone in the chambers in her tree. The darkness was just another excuse to delay the process, Derrick now gone as he has taken his seat among the brotherhood.


The queen looks down at the mark on her leg where she was touched that night. It has not healed was just another sign that it was time for her to select a new Queen. Airrana is the one she has chosen. A bright sprite full of life, “too much wit then I like, but you can’t have everything you want. It just not possible.” she argued with herself. 


Jaydan paced in the tent in front Kertwen, Lorana and Whitmore’s his hands clasped behind his back. It worries him and is concerned for the Whitmore’s for it true they must do this where and whenever they can help the most, but it tires them especially the boys, yet they were not leaving from here for at least three days.


Jaydan pondered looking down at maps and charts his mind made up as he turned towards the Queen. “All right, on one condition, you and whoever we find still up there comes with us regardless of how bad you want to stay after the Whitmore’s restore what Morgan’s done. And that goes for you Kertwen since we are traveling through your lands as well. I want more than just a promise this time.” Jaydan held his staff. “By placing your hand on this staff as you make this promise by the light and truth will help you keep it for it comes from the heart, not of the mind.


Lorana and Kertwen both agree as they both each promise placing their hand on the staff. A surge of light flowed through their hands as they feel at peace as if the master himself touched them.


It was decided they would all return to the old city of Springfield to rest and gather strength before they leave on their Journey to their new home so they all could say goodbye one more time. All the wagons and tents packed and groups organized the same way as the first group. 


Jaydan handed each Syneral their staff as he bonds his flock together to him. Gartooth was very busy that day, as five more slaves were added to him. Jaydan merely smiled back towards Morgan’s mountain as he opens a gate to Springfield with blinding flash of pure light seen for miles. So bright if Gartooth had his eyes open or closed he could not even guess where he had gone.


Jaydan knew that Gartooth was and is needed on this journey, for his path like his were tied together somehow… He whispered back. “Just follow the bread crumbs, little brother....”


Kollie taking his wife's hand climbed down from the wagon with the three boys following them… Once more standing in the middle where the fountain used to be now smashed and crumbling dry bed of hot, dry dirt. They each take each other hand while everyone watched from afar.


At first, nothing was happening. Then wind grew crisp and fresh around them. Things around them started to grow and turn green once more. The trees, the flowers and the grass alive and vibrant once more as they watched it continue up the mountain and over the hill, water was flowing down the creek once more. The people cheered watching the town of Springfield come back alive again, forgetting all about everything and everyone as they ran everywhere looking at things.


Jaydan and the Tweeds running over to the Whitmore’s who are now all on the ground beyond exhaustion, nobody except them even noticing them except few Knee abees that were close to them as friends. The Queen herself was too busy looking at her trees to notice. Jaydan was saddened as he looked around at his misguided people. All they cared about was the miracle, not the people who performed it. Jaydan, Arken helped set up camp around them leaving them to rest,  Lily watching over the boys and Caption Drealin attending to their needs while the Whitmore’s rest.


It was a hard thing to watch and to do as Arken walked among the people even thou he may not be from this realm. He did have a kindred heart for them all the same. “It was hard to determine what came first, family or the people as I become the Syneral. Yet it is true Jaydan is in our group and is our leader of all the groups combine. The question I ponder is the same when I look at the people. Who is first, them or my family?” He wrote in the journal.


Arken tries to picture another man in his place as he watched the movements in the camp, people scurrying this way and that way unorganized as his family is set up for the night. Arken knew the answer as he watched Jaydan attend to the Whitmore’s. His family had been taken care of by another so he may lead. Arken calls Caption Drealin by his side. “Yes, sir.”


“Caption lets see if we can get this mess organized shall we?”


“Yes, sir,” Drealin calls forth all the Captions in the group to line up. Arken walked down the line then stands in front with his Lead Caption by his side. “Each day you will report on the camp to your leader. Intern, there will be duties assigned and rotated so you will all get a chance to do them well.


"Today is our first day and I am not impressed by what I have seen so far since we have had a lot of time and practice down at the main camp. Yes, it true as it may seem life again has come back to this town, but for how long it is undetermined because the threat is very real, you know this. It is time men you set an example for your people that you will help them. That they can trust you when their need is great like it is now!” Arken stands squarely facing them. “I want tents up and camp post up in one hour, then report back to me for a list of duties.”


“Yes, sir,” watching them run back to the wagons.


Arken was not smiling as he turned Drealin. “I think that included you if I wasn’t mistaken because you are the one who’s got to make that list find me my barracks Caption.”


“Oh my, sorry sir,” Drealin said running.


Arken slowly walks up the hill now green once more sits with Jaydan while his camp is bustling about him. They just watch as the tents go up and Jaydan sighs looking at his friend. “Its long ways from New Downing Wayne.” Not bothering to cast a ward around them.


Wayne grins.” And to think I was just a farmer back then worrying about crops and little things that didn’t matter, now look at me.”


“Do you miss it, my friend?”  Jaydan asked.


Wayne looked towards where his family is and the Whitmore’s are…. “Nope, not one bit. I have everything I need right here.”


“Me too,” as Jaydan watches Lizzy helping some children or basically keeping them out their mother’s hair for a while. Jaydan stands then turns “I’m leaving you tomorrow Wayne. There are something’s I need to attend to.”


Wayne face drops. “What? You can’t!”


“Why not? I told you I can not be in three places at once didn’t I?”


“Yes.”


“Well you have everything you need, there no reason why I should be here then. You knew it then, that this journey is not just for me it for all of us. We each have our own part in some way. Yours is to lead this group and give them strength for they are the weakest where you can make them strong.


"Mine has begun like yours as I travel among all of you. Not just this group, but all them, for the tree has many branches as I give each of you a brunch of the same tree. Until once more united as one we come together at end of the journey. Now then my friend lets go down among our people together and fill our hearts with joy before I leave. Besides you act like I am going away forever,” slapping him the back Jaydan laughs. “You’re not dead yet and we have lots to do.”


Arken watched Sylen riding on his brother back across the camp. Wayne laughed. “Yes, Jaydan we do at that,” slapping him hard knocking the wind right out of him.


Jaydan and Arken walk back to his tent where Lily and his two daughters are giggling over two boys in their group that has caught their eye. Trying very hard not to look at them as they pass by them as they go to the wagon for something. Jaydan watches and smiles then cast a ward around them then signaled to their group the Whitmore’s and Tweeds that can now speak freely. As he announces his departure tomorrow sad as it may be they understood.


He explains it in more detail now then on the hill. Watching their face and expressions especially Grandmas, Martha’s when he said that he has gotten word from Nathaniel that six of them have left on a journey of their own and could be in more danger. That now Gartooth is on everyone’s trail or soon will be, considering he has latched on as slaves all the bad apples sent out before coming here.


The only good news he had for them was that their magic is gone from them stripped away, The High Council did it while they where sleeping night before leaving small traces of it behind them where they could not do anything with it. It would take a hundred like them to make a simple spark. Grandma was worried the most considering she knew where she hid the staff as she looked at the wagon close by. She checks it often to make sure nobody has touched the hiding place inside the wheel itself. Making it a part of the wagon, so nobody would know except her.


Jaydan slowly examined EJ and determines then shakes his head at Martha and his family “No, it still too soon.” With a sad heart, Martha understands holds her son against her whispered. “Not to be in hurry.”


“I know Ma,” EJ feeling sad he can’t show them what’s like at his farm where he can run feel free once more.


Jaydan rubbed his head. "But I do think when I come back in a few days we shall all go and the Whitmore’s too, well have a picnic, how does that sound?” He asked


EJ looks up at Jaydan. “You mean they can come to?”


“Of course, unless you don’t want them to that is?” laughing.


EJ smiles back with the biggest grin he can give. “Yes, I would like that and Lizzy and Mary and Aunty M too?”


Jaydan laughed. “And who would protect the camp if everyone’s with you.”


Martha laughs with him and kisses his cheek. “Will work something out won’t we Pa?” Taking his hand.


Pa placed his arm around his son. “You bet.”


Julie and Anna giving their brother their support as they each kissed his cheek; “because nobody dares come near us when we put our minds together because our family sticks together no matter what.”


“And that goes for brothers.” Robert trying to look serious placing his hands on his hip and Will standing beside him and then the three little boys copies them everyone was laughing. So much they woke the baby


“I guess she wanted to get her two cents worth in to,” Anna said holds her in her arms and smiles. “Is that right Jess for sisters stick together because we have to.”


Soon the ward was broken, but they didn’t care this time around anyway due to it was Drealin reporting in as he smiles at the families laughing amongst themselves. But the look on his face changed as he gave the news to Wayne and Jaydan. Hearing fights are breaking out between the two groups. Wayne leaves not even pausing or looking at Jaydan for he knew it was his responsibility now and will be.


Jaydan replaced the ward around them and the barrier of protection continues on without Wayne there, for there were things that must be done and is imperative before he can leave.





© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

50 Views
Added on February 21, 2019
Last Updated on January 24, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep