Chapter 26

Chapter 26

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 26


Aggie knew it was just a matter of time before Morgan and his goon squad would be passing this way to rein sure that the lands Morgan has taken stay under his control. But that wasn't the only reason she was in hurry to find some shelter. They were being tailed as she could hear and sense it as the wind blows its foul smelling odor like a rotting corpse. Very few living things could make that stench especially here when everything was once green. It was more than just the stench that bothered her and made her feel uneasy looking at the sky and the darkness that forbade them.


Aggie quickly stops short looked in front then in the back an Acklrin stands with glowing yellow eyes, with long white claws and teeth. Salivating as it growls towards them on all four legs. Aggie turned seeing another Acklrin jumping down from a high rock slowly surrounding them pacing in the circle growling.


Aggie without another thought quickly cast a shield around them as the Acklrin leaped into the air towards them. Linda and the girls screamed as they watched these hideous beasts claw at the shield trying to get to their prey.


Everyone huddled together in the shield waiting for the Acklrin to leave. An hour went, by then two as they watched them circle about. It was if they were in a cage at feeding time as they waited for impending doom. Aggie to was getting concerned as more Acklrin joined in, counting the numbers to ten. She knew that her men and she could not fight them off their numbers were too great as they watched more come.


A cascade of arrows filled the air above them shatters into bolts of lightning striking at the Acklrin below. LAkainan's charged up the road for the hunt as the horn blows riding small elfish ponies with skins of furs across their mounts, showing off their kills. It was better than nothing as Aggie quirts a smile at this point. It was either them or Acklrin and right now looking at her small group she prefers the LAkainan's.


The thing was with this murderous tribe, all they cared about was the hunt and what you had to trade that matter the most. The more you had to trade the more respect you got and course it was the same on what they were looking for at the time at the bargaining table.


Also, there was one thing to remember, if you had nothing they wanted or had nothing to appease them. Your life could very well end and your head could be used to decorate there cave more likely than not.


Aggie waited until the danger was nearly dispersed enough that her and the two soldiers Darlem and Krital could kill the remaining Acklrin until LAkainan's reached them.


Loraine held very tight to Steve as they all watched the men gallop with painted faces circle about them. Aggie acknowledges to them and to the leader of the group with a simple bow and sign of the trade master greeting “ker toa paw nea dey” (May you find shade and hunt in plenty my brother).”


Leader nods and repeats “pid raw yif ta nea Sey” (rest you may find under the tree, my Sister). Then simple embrace and strong handshake between two friends.


Aggie walks with the leader of the group Fayven while the soldiers and Fayven's group kept a close eye on the party, gathering skins and heads of Acklrin.


Aggie nods looking back at the group then down the road towards the next town. Her face was long with worry as she heard the news of her people and what Morgan has done as the leader pointed far and wide. She offers thanks with a small token of gratitude, picking up and taking the leader's horn and placing an enchantment on it...


“When you blow it, all will hear it and come in times of great danger.” Then enchantment was placed on the bows and their blades of steel. “that they will strike true against the evil in the land and never dull,” for their courage of saving them from the beasts. Aggie once more joined her party straightens her back. “Well folks we're burning daylight and according to my friends, we do not want to be on the road in the dark, unless you want to see more of those beasts?”


For some reason as Aggie watched them pick up the slack in there walking, they made it to the next town before the sun was just going down behind the hills. All around you could hear the beasts howling as they answer the call. The girl's shutter as the men looked both ways. Trying hard not to let their knees shake or show fear in their eyes as they hold on to their family closes together.


The town of Aderh wasn't much to look at and yet it had the same qualities of Aggie's home town Kercojer using Pedy homes. Except these had little storefronts and little signs still swing in the breeze with small wind chimes made of whistle weed. Made from howled out knock-tail bush which is quite common here close to the creek bed.


Unlike those found on our home world known as “cattails” as Steve and Loraine admires one and the delicately painted figures as they rotate in the soft breeze due north. At least they were unlike now as Aggie looks around her dying world.


“This no time for sightseeing!” Aggie giving Steve a hard stare, “we must find some shelter for the night.” She said looking at the sky. Aggie located an old tavern across the way. She knew it well as a girl waiting tables to earn some money. Now deserted like everything else except old whispers of the dead crying out as the winds begin to howl.


As they went inside the tavern an old man and his wife greeted them with a nod and a warm smile. “Welcome travelers,” the old man said beaming with excitement. “How can I be of service? Food, Drink, Rooms, all thee above… Just ask we are at your service,” he implied.


Aggie could tell something was amiss just by the sound and the feel of him and the place. Steve opened his mouth first. “Yes, sir. I believe we will take all thee above, that is if you can spare them.”


"Spare them? I have plenty don't we dear?” He asks his wife standing in the kitchen doorway.


His wife grins wide. “Yes, yes anything you like.” Steve grins back at Aggie as she glares back at him. The old man brings them ale and milk for the kiddies and tea for the women. Aggie pushed her to the side as she watches everything very careful with her men.


You heard the saying ‘if it smells like a fish, it most likely is a fish.’ In her case, she smelled something a lot smellier as she and the soldiers watched the family drift off to sleep after one glass and couple bites of salted hathen (pork).


The tables turned quite quickly as Aggie shields her group around the table steps out with her soldiers, the old man transforms into Altaerin his green leopard skin and fingers sharp as razor's edge with large nick bones sticking out of his back.


He was deadly, but not compared to his wife as she stands on two legs, leaping towards them. Her venom if bitten could kill instantly. The soldiers leaping towards them with their spears of harden steel as Aggie cast wind, fire against them. Watching them fall back as the spears pierce their skin. The soldier jabs a hard right through his side as the old man screams in such pain.


Anger dispenses as his wife held him in her arms as she begs them. Aggie stops... His wife cries out in tears. “Pleases we were just doing what we were told that's all. Please help me.” She asked as she tries to stop the blood pouring down her husband side.


Aggie could feel the emotion for them as she looked into the hearts of these Altaerin they are not completely black as she suspected, theirs are lighter than most she met. Aggie paced back and forth watching. “Alright on one condition, we need shelter and food and rest with no tricks,” Aggie replied sternly pointing her sword towards Inn keeper’s wife.


The woman agrees as she looks down at her husband the wound is deep. Aggie tries to help with the bandage. She knew he would not make through the night without help. If he didn’t, They would all die. Aggie paces watching her group eating unharmed, sighs there is only one thing she can do. Placing the glass made from stone that Jaydan gave her in council in case she needed advice. She paced in her room laughing at herself. “Me needing advice? Yet right now?” As she looked back towards the rooms she needed it more than ever.


Aggie meditates calling for Jaydan, but what she got was something else completely unexpected as he taps her on the shoulder. Aggie nearly jumps to the ceiling before turning around with a knife in her hand. Seeing Jaydan smile back, “did you need something?” He asked picking up the stone handing it back to her.


“Ha, Ha” grabbing the stone from him. “Yes I did, but I wasn't expecting you to come in person.”


Jaydan merely smiled. “I had some free time,” placing his hands behind his back. “And I was in the neighborhood and decided to look up some of my old friends, thought I stop in say hello that's all.”


“You think that's funny do you?” Jaydan smiles back standing confidant. “Where were you when I was knee deep in Acklrin? Or when the mountain was caving in, my mountain home mind you?” She asked angrily.


“Sorry, busy. Besides, you didn't need me did you?” Aggie pauses and fell short then screams "Uug"


“So.” Jaydan lies on the bed calmly. “What's the problem and how can I help?” Aggie mauls it over in her mind recounts the problem.


Jaydan nods. “Yep, you are sure in a pickle I would say.”


“No Da...”


“If only you could get the Whitmore's to heal him, you’d be on your way? Except I believe right now they are.” Pulling out a map out of several in his pocket case, “Right here.” Closing his eyes to sense them, “and you are here with these folks.” He replied folding the Map back up and returned it to his pocket case.


“Since you can't take either of them with you because it would upset the balance. Yep, I would say good luck in being you, But I would ponder this…. who in this mess around you at this moment can stay and who can you bring back to help, that would not upset things in slight us degree?”


Jaydan smiles lay's on the bed watches her for a minute with his eyes amusing himself. Aggie smiles then glare's like a cat at Jaydan. “Thanks.” and makes a gate to the camp slipping in carefully under the tents. Yet not realizing before it was too late being caught by Arken himself.


“Well, well what do we have here?” Pulling her up to see who it is. “I don't think I remember you being in our group so that means you must be a spy.” He implied.


“A spy? No, no I am not a spy, you must believe me.” Aggie replied trying to get loose.


“If you are not spy then who are you then?” he replied giving her hard stare. For spies sneak around as such as you were doing, getting ready to cause mischief. Are you here to causes mischief, my little spy?” He asked.


“I have come for some help, Jaydan has sent me.” She cries out as she tries to get loose, but Arken had a pretty good hold on her.


“Jaydan you say,” Arken giving her another hard look then looked into her eyes. “Yes, I see you speak the truth for I can sense it within you.”


Aggie looked at him bewilder than asked. “How do you know these things?”


Arken smiles. “Your heart does not lie when I look upon it. I see it in your mind the truth that you tell. Speak and ask so I may be of services, for I know what you hold is precious as they to journey with you.”


Aggie dumbfounded by this man as she cast a ward of light around them seeing Wayne as he smiles back and nods and sees him protected by the masters light. Watching the light dim all she asks is one question as she looked towards the tents. “Is he safe?”


Wayne nods and answers. “Yes.”  Watching Aggie pace in front of him.


Then her face gets serious, “Wayne I need help, it's bad I mean bad,” as she explains the problem to him.


Wayne nods. He leaves for a moment going into the camp. “I can't give you much, but a week's worth and a couple of horses and a small wagon.”


Aggie puts her arms around him. “That will be more than enough and more than they deserve at the moment.”


“Now as for the Whitmore's they are yours until we need them. Jaydan and Derrick made it quite clear that they belong to nobody; they go where they are needed, and their task is their own. If they say no they mean it. For the master has set the course and something's must not be changed so others can.”


Aggie nods as Wayne walked her back to the wagon with the Whitmore's saying goodbye for a while to the Downing’s. Kollie pat's his old friend on the back and smiles. “Now then remember what I said.” Wayne sighs watching with tears in his eyes for his friend. He'll always know when they are needed for the tree they planted bears fruit and seed to plant for each town leaving new harvest of new trees and groves of other trees. Kollie hands him a small pouch of seeds.


Aggie makes a gate traveling back to her home world behind the tavern. Jaydan sat outside with his pipe on the porch with the two brothers while girls are inside cleaning. Loraine was upstairs with the Altaerin and his wife.


Jaydan nods to Kollie and them and smiles back. “Well, boys. I do believe that's your queue Jim, Steve.” Jaydan pointing to the wagon. Jaydan sits there watching placing his hand behind his head. “Aggie I was just thinking while we are here, we should do a little investigating. You and I and find out where all your people went. It just does seem right to leave things like this behind us.” Then stands up and goes to the wagon, picks up a sack of flour leaving her standing there.


Rena, Kollie and the boys didn't waste time as they looked around the place they could feel it. The feeling was electrifying, you could charge a battery with it. Something was indeed wrong. It was if the whole planet was filled to the very core with darkness with no heart.


When they went up the stairs and opened the door seeing the Altaerin's. Rena nearly screamed, she wasn't quite ready for this sight yet or type of species. The boy's, of course, thought it was cool, reacting a little differently than their mother. But touching one was a little bit more than one could ask.


It was Loraine gentle touch of a mother's heart that made the difference as they watched her without hesitation wipe the Altaerin's head. Rena sighed feeling foolish opening her bag, pulling out her root mix which was running quite low now, adding some tonic as she places it on the wound.


Kollie placing his hand and hers and the boy's hands as well this time, for the wound was deep. He was not sure if it would be enough as he looked at his wife. He felt deep inside as he looked at the Altaerin's heart that they were all needed. For they were not just healing his wound it was something that goes much deeper.


Kollie starts, then Rena, then boys as wound glowed and radiates through him. He feels at peace as he looks into his wife's eyes. The light dimmed as Kollie removed the cloth and Rena wipes the skin the wound is gone.


 Altaerin's thank them as the tears roll down their cheeks. “Now then,” as they sat on the bed. “You'll be our guests will you not?” As they changed back into the old women and old man and smiled with a new twinkle in their eyes for there new friends. “For we have rooms for all and looking outside you have brought food, so we will provide you safe haven. No one will dare touch you as I myself will spread the word this very night. That me Armani has said so and my wife Elis will make sure of it.”



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

48 Views
Added on February 21, 2019
Last Updated on January 24, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep