My Cat Kodarel

My Cat Kodarel

A Story by Shep



Tera(Dr. Indian works weekends) and her cat Kodarel  (Carol)

it’s a work in progress.


In the town of Norn, not far from the shore from the crossing of the Four Rivers where they converge into the Quartz Sea known as the Four Kings. It also the very place where the King of Living Water lives so it has been said, or least he did over 2 Melina, based on stories and legends, considering no one has actually seen him or a mermaid except a drunken sailor or a half-wit calming that he had, as the people buy him a round of drinks to hear those outlandish stories of merpeople, that look more human then they do a fish with gills, stating that they can walk on water like cloud or carpet moon dust.


Yet the only thing everyone can agree on is that who won that great battle was won here by one of the Four Kings, that saved us all from destructions; which earned the name the Four Kings so we have been told from as far back as anyone can remember; where the ferry work up and down the rivers carrying passengers from the various towns or cargo to be sold from market too market.


Food, wood or straw or anything that had to do with coming from the land itself was in short supply. No one knew for certain whom to blame, but “Rumors” say that it is the White Solon's fault, which could be true. Considering all this business started the very moment word started to spread of his reawaking after nearly 2 millennia.


Yet Tera didn’t believe much when it came to rumors. She believed on true tangible facts she can believe as she looks deep into her crystal ball; the same crystal ball that has been handed down from her mother and from her mother to her daughter and so on, for countless generations.


Her soft gnarled hands moved swiftly over the spear as it glowed like a misty white cloud swirling around it in great speed. You could hear her gold and silver charm bracelets clacking against the smooth glass ball with each pass of a hand; hearing her mumble softly words that did not make it to any listening ear, other than a soft breeze. Her deep blue eyes sparkled with power and brightened as bright as a summer’s day blue sky. It has been said that when her eyes change to black hard crystals, that’s when it looks like you are looking into the belly of hell itself or a storm ready to swallow you whole. 


Tera wasn’t a large woman by any means, she was quite small in stature at least 3 feet 3” tall and dwarfishness in nature. The runt in the family, while her two sisters Kristen and Agatha and her mother as well as her father, who she envied their height sometimes. Yet not often because of most of all an advantage than a disadvantage… For instance, it was useful for getting lost in a crowd quickly, but most importantly everyone underestimates her because of her size. Yet when they need something…more to the point “someone like her.” Everyone comes knocking at her door because she is the Shaman having the abilities of healing and people using potions and herbs and little magic now and again.


Last she has checked she is the only shaman or healer for miles around well at least any Nature healers, but there are rumors of one other, yet what she has learned of them the stories are so extravagant that seems un-logical people healing worlds, lands that have dried from the very poison that is killing them. People curing people and asking nothing in return, that alone made her hair on end prickle, nothing in this world is free. There is always a price to pay.


She may not be strong in magic, but she can call upon the dead too from time to time using her crystal ball. But lately, her magic has been waning more, just like the land. She has seen the sign on the wall that if things remain the same… she and this town and others realms like it will die. No. nothing can stop this from happening; the rumors are just fairy-tales.


However her faithful companion Kodarel believes differently says that White Solon has risen, that prophesy of old are being fulfilled, most of that these healers known as the Whitmore’s are nearby that they seeking a meeting with the towns council members. They both knew that wasn’t going to happen considering they had fled the cities they lived in, leaving their people to die by Morgan’s and Hess army.


Kodarel was the most ornery and stubbornness cat she has ever known. Then again she hasn’t met many or if any cats like her, and that stubbornness’ could be one of the best qualities or traits as a cat that she likes about her. Other than her nine-hundred- years or so they have been together. However, Kodarel wasn’t just an ordinary cat by any means. In truth, nobody really knows where she comes from or pedigree, and nor will Kodarl is willing to tell anyone other than the White Solon himself. When that day comes, so far that day has not come according to Kodarel. “Crazy Cat.”


Besides being ageless Kodarel being, her fur is very different compared to ordinary house cats that roam the streets. For instances, her fur was black as night, striped bight silver, where her tail seemed to be dipped in gold. Belly and chest covered in white with gold and silver flecks. One green eye and the other eye blue eye, which can change color at will or based on the mood she is in.


Some of her best qualities are turning oneself invisible. Having conversations with mere mortals, knowing over 200 or more languages so she boasts from time to time.


Tera hasn’t found a language she doesn’t know among their many travels. Then finds it sort of interesting that even though she may not understand every language, but with her cat Kodarel close by she understand them and speak as if she had been speaking all her life.


Sometime Kodarel likes to pretend to be an ordinary house cat, changing her fur color altogether, then speaks when people don’t expect while delivering a message when she needs to remain hidden from the world or for evil fun liking the look on the mere mortal seeing the cat talk, scaring them to death. One of her favorite things she can do is her transformation skills; where she can transform into a small land creature to the size of a mouse to the size large mountain cougar or a big bear….

© 2019 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Whereas Bunny likes your slow unfolding, I found myself waiting impatiently for the cat to make an appearance. Even once you finally introduce the cat, you go on & on about other stuff, before you finally SHOW us this cat! I would love to see this story open up with the description of Kodarel, which is an exquisite bit of sensory imagination. I like how you tell a story with imagination & originality, but the reading is a bit bumpy with glitches in composition. Some of us find this hard to ignore when reading a longer story especially. But I also see that this is a work in progress, so I'll try not to be too picky! (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Shep

5 Years Ago

Thanks it was meant to be a small taster to what to is to come as opening for the cat.



Reviews

I loved the complete story my friend.
"Sometime Kodarel likes to pretend to be an ordinary house cat, changing her fur color altogether, then speaks when people don’t expect while delivering a message when she needs to remain hidden from the world or for evil fun liking the look on the mere mortal seeing the cat talk, scaring them to death. One of her favorite things she can do is her transformation skills; where she can transform into a small land creature to the size of a mouse to the size large mountain cougar or a big bear…."
The above lines. So good. I do like this cat. Thank you my friend for sharing the outstanding tale.
Coyote

Posted 3 Years Ago


For me, the most interesting descriptions were those about Tera. You seem to feel most at home with depicting this character, and the paragraphs written about her flow smoothly and take off on their own. Try to use the same kind of convincing imagery with the cat and the other characters.

Posted 3 Years Ago


Whereas Bunny likes your slow unfolding, I found myself waiting impatiently for the cat to make an appearance. Even once you finally introduce the cat, you go on & on about other stuff, before you finally SHOW us this cat! I would love to see this story open up with the description of Kodarel, which is an exquisite bit of sensory imagination. I like how you tell a story with imagination & originality, but the reading is a bit bumpy with glitches in composition. Some of us find this hard to ignore when reading a longer story especially. But I also see that this is a work in progress, so I'll try not to be too picky! (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Shep

5 Years Ago

Thanks it was meant to be a small taster to what to is to come as opening for the cat.
i like your character development unfolding it has a very nice flow to it unfolding it has a very nice flow to it and i like k unfolding it has a very nice flow to it and i like Kodarel. I'm not a story writer so i'm not a very valuable critic for you but as a reader I can say it grabbed me and I like the beginings

Posted 5 Years Ago


Shep

5 Years Ago

Thanks you very much for the review I get very few these days
Robert Trakofler

5 Years Ago

I work my way up my friends list every week :) i don't choose my friends unless i like what they do .. read more
Oh this is great I love cats but allergic I hence own a dog love your story it inspires me to write more shorts have u published

Posted 5 Years Ago


Shep

5 Years Ago

yes one book Whats behind the looking Glass
quite a clever, telling tale you spin. cat's certainly are mysterious as is yours. the flow is a little spotty - seems to jump around a bit ... :)

Posted 5 Years Ago


Shep

5 Years Ago

Which it is what intended to be introducing new people into the story line. Thanks for your review.
You have so many rich images blended in this story. I like the poetic flow, it gives the speech an ancient feel.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Shep

5 Years Ago

Thank you glad you liked it
Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

the ending made me think of the old movie the Cat People
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
...
What I like,about your style it's almost like poem. Your sentences are flowing through my mind like symbolic images of humanity. I don't catch much story but that's all right. Cause mood of writing is,quiet thrilling. I am more interested in emotions then some logic chronology. I am also always fan of writing without rules. It's really,give me,sense of freedom and open mind. So for me this,writing is,quiet fresh .

Posted 5 Years Ago


Shep

5 Years Ago

Thanks I was trying for a new approach giving more detail and more storyline.
You repeat your descriptors too much, and there's a lot of chunks that appear to be missing from this story. It's... confusing, and isn't at all helped by the run-on sentences that change subject halfway through. This needs major cleaning up, but I can imagine it would be an enjoyable literary jaunt. Be wary of a Mary-Sue character, cat or no.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Shep

5 Years Ago

Thanks for being honest and for the review it’s a work in progess but I am sorry that you hated it.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

352 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 24, 2019
Last Updated on February 26, 2019

Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Why bother Why bother

A Poem by emmajoy


Echoes of You Echoes of You

A Poem by Relic


At last.. At last..

A Poem by emmajoy