Testimony

Testimony

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 37

Testimony

 


Apparently, the Bishop wasn’t done yet as he called me to stands to introduce me to the ward as a new foster son of Mr. and Mrs. Rothwell. Having all three of us stand and sit why he introduces more new ward members. Releasing people from callings and giving new ones like the chap he introduced me to in the hall. Shane was too far away to whisper to that he was our new Sunday school teacher. But I had enough trouble than to borrow more for the day so I listened. When he was done with the ward business he bore his testimony and when he spoke, you knew he believed every word he was saying. It was a powerful testimony that it made several people cry. Mostly women like Mom. Dad whispering, saying he had something in his eye, wiping an escaped tear.


Then it was left to the ward to bare theirs; that dreadful hour, as I sat there waiting in silence as the people gathered their courage. It was Mom who stood up first and walked down the long row of benches to the podium. It reminded me when I lived with the Fry’s and the Steeds. That the teachers would pass around a microphone as the people stood where they were and gave their testimony, but over the years that changed. Now they walked up to the long aisle as if they were carrying a cross on their shoulders. Weeping and wailing as the tears and choke voices say. “I am here, and I have something to say.” It wasn’t long before Dad took her hand and they climbed the stairs together.


I was shocked, I was stunned. But I shouldn’t have been. Within five minutes as they waited their turn; the whole Rothwell clan was sitting up on the stand, While Arthur and I sat there as the space opened were our chaperones seat became empty.  Shawn was just as stunned as I was; as he was left behind to sit with his younger brothers and Arthur. Not once did he look in my direction. But it was if his eyes couldn’t move, he could barely breathe. It became apparent that this had never have happened before; Mom may be, but all them? It was Jeff voice that spoke into my mind.


It was the first in days that I had felt him. The Bishop seemed to be watching as his eyes seemed filled with light the second Jeff spirit was near me. This was way different than Ma seeing him. This was something more. Something more was going on, as his face had a warm glow of white light staring off into space. I doubted that anyone but Jeff and I saw it. I linked asking Jeff what was going on. He said “watch, listen. This was a gift from him; to give me strength for the coming days and months ahead.” I had so many questions to ask, but he was gone in instant or I couldn’t sense him any longer. I needed him, I begged him to come back, his word echoed in my mind. “Watch, listen.”


Dad stood up taking the podium. He had tears in his eyes. He bore his testimony saying. “He was a prideful man and God had tested him, and he failed because he was so prideful he couldn’t grasp what was going on around him.” Dad stood there telling everyone. “He had bad, terrifying dreams all week along. The most awful dreams a man could have, he dreamed that he was in hell being beaten day and night. His family was taken away, bound in chains and sackcloth. Torn away by demons, because he refused to repent of his darkest sins; He was shown a boy shivering in the cold and it was me. The grief I felt because I had been thrown out into the cold and nobody would help, I begged and I plead to God too releases me.”


He sobbed, his body shook while he tried to calm himself, the audience's breath held, and people were weeping all around me. Dad spoke again. “Each night I dreamt the same dream over and over; while my new son was dieing in my arms, fever burning within him. No medicine would work, my wife tried everything, but he was in so much pain from skateboard accident a few days before. I could do nothing. The Bishop came and we turned him away, saying he was just sick, he would recover in a couple of days. But it kept getting worse and so did my dreams.


“I feared to closes my eyes. I return to work seeking solitude, only to fall on my knees as God struck my houses with fever. My son Shane, begging to give my new son Eric a blessing, hoping God would see fit to heal him. I stood shocked because I knew in my heart. That it should have been the first thing I should have done, but instead I did nothing and passed it off as if was only common cold or flu. He was near death and unresponsive as me and my son Shane gave him a blessing. Yet we feared it was too late and God was angry.


“He grew worse, as we cooled him nearly every hour. Then I was struck down with the same fever as my wife Karen while she struggled caring for me and all my children. The Bishop came back two days later. My wife led him to me and gave me a blessing and my entire household.” He paused to wipe the tears from his eyes and looked over to his wife as she sobbed. “Within hours we were healed and Eric began to heal and come back to us. I was and am a broken man. As I stand before you today, stating the gospel is true, God performs miracles. I have seen his work first hand. And I beg God to forgive me; in Christ name, amen.” Dad dried his eyes walking down the long aisle of benches, taking his spot next to me and put his arms around me and me kissed me on the cheek.


You could hear the audience weeping. The show was nearly over I had thought, but I felt loved and warm as he held me in his arms. Mom was last while she waited as each of her children bore their testimony thanking God for humbling their father and them. It was the first time I had ever seen Shane cry, that he was glad that God had sent them me. Reading a quote ‘ And the little children shall come and light the way for those that live in darkness as they come once more unto Christ.’ Eric is my brother and shall always be my friend amen.”


Jody stood as she looked down at me, tears streaming down her face. “The world is hidden in the shadows, but God had given us the moonlight. The past week I had seen my brother’s souls walking hand in hand naked in the moonlight.” She smiled as the tears flowed down her cheeks. “God had given me the purest gift he could give me as I watched Shane open up his soul taking his brother Eric hand as they walked naked in the moonlight.”


“If I was an artist I would paint that picture so I could see it every day for the rest of my life. Gods’ miracles as two brothers walk side by side; Shane opening his heart as he helped his new little brother, Eric, to cool him off in hopes to break his fever. I want them to know I cried that night after watching them. For it was the first time I had ever seen my brother Shane open his heart to a stranger. I want them to know I will always love them more because of it. They have nothing to be embarrassed about. For it was pure love and it was Gods miracle to me, and I thank him and for it and Eric coming into our lives  and humbling me; for I will always love them and the gift they had given me; in Christ name Amen.”


Shane faces beet red as mine as we watched her slide in next to him and hugged him and kissed him on the cheek; and did the same to me, taking a seat next to Dad having Arthur slide over to make room. She whispered that I was burning up again. Dad nodded feeling my cheeks and forehead telling me we were going home after sacrament meeting. I told him I would be fine. That wasn’t necessary; just to avoid another beating that I knew for certain would come for disobeying him by passing the sacrament. Regardless if I had a high fever from the injury he had caused.


It didn’t matter if it was the Bishops fault, and didn’t matter that I didn’t tell him anything. It was the idea of me being alone with him where I could have said something. My teeth began to chatter as tried to clench them tight so they wouldn’t. Rubbing my hands up and down my arms feeling the cold goosebumps in spite if my skin felt hot; I was freezing.


Kerry stood up and waited and smiled, wiping tears. “I wished I could have seen that same miracle my sister had seen, but I too have seen my own. We have had many foster boys in our home over the years. But none like my brother Eric; he has changed our family in one week. More than any foster kid we have ever taken in.


“My father can be cruel sometimes even my mother, but I have seen kindness and tenderness. I too have the same dreams as my father had. But I was that child that was freezing in the cold and turned away because of my bitterness and pride full ways and my jealousy of my sisters’ relationship with my father and my mother. Worst of all, my brother Shane.


“And because of that, I have grown apart from them. I believe that God and his mercy sent him to us. Eric has shown great courage over the last few days since he has been in our family; showing my father and my mother. “Knock me down I will get back up and turn my anger into kindness.” He’s suffering as he burns with a fever even now, I can see in his eyes and in his face as it burns his life away. His kindness makes me meek.  His strength bends me to my knees. His heart fills me with joy as he works beside me; he has become our little chef in the kitchen; showing me the joy and goodness, that had been missing in my life. He has yet to say an unkind word as we treat him poorly and ignore him. Yet he strives to change us in hopes we will take him in our arms and love him and protect him.


“I want him to know that I will take him in my arms and do just that, I want to thank God for sending him to me. It causes me to look inside myself finding the same courage. Not wanting to go home but to be with us. I am sorry, but if Shane won’t take you home I will. As God is my witness you are my little brother.”


Kerry gave Mom a look of anger yet kindness, I had never seen before as she walked towards our bench and sitting down right next to me and hugged me whispering. “It’s almost over, but we can leave anytime you want to. I am sure Shane and I can manage.” Giving me several kisses saying how much she loved me and how sorry she was. I told her I was fine even though I wasn’t. Thinking two half hours more and the wolves will cast away their sheep’s clothing and beating would begin.


Mom stood shaking as she looked down into the audience seeing her family gathered. She was ashamed of what her husband and she had done. He whipped him twice to the inch of his life, I tried to drown him and give back to God so he wouldn’t suffer any more cruelty by our hands. She sobbed taking another tissue. “God can be cruel as I to have suffered from the same dreams; a child walking naked in the freezing snow after being beaten, cast out among the wolves hidden in sheep’s clothing. My feet blistered and bleeding and frostbitten; begging for food and warm clothing among the houses. Only to be turned away, cast out into the freezing cold. I am ashamed before God for doing the same thing, showing cruelty and ignorance to a child that needed love and safety.”


“My daughters are right, my son is right, and my husband is right. We have had many foster boys in our home and not one of them has shown us the courage and the love and strength that this boy has inside him. God and in his wisdom saw fit to send us a child that would turn our lives upside down and question our very way of life. Yet we are pride full and set in our ways. Change will not be easy, but in time with Gods help, it will happen.


“We had thought we are better people setting our selves high above others unlike us; because we have taken in Gods children into our home that no one else would. Showing them a path on how too live their lives with strict obedience to us, and God. Teaching them right and wrong a different than the path they were on. My son Eric has a path different from the rest. His path had been charted by Gods hand. He suffers because of what we have done in the sight of God. I pray that he and God will forgive us. He with Gods help… will put us back into his favor once more. I stand as my family has stood before you and God this day. I will try to be better. We will do better. The gospel is true, and I say these things in Christ name Amen.”


Mom slowly makes her way back and takes her seat wiping her eyes and leaned my feverish head back against her shoulder. Telling Dad “I think we need to go home?”


As my teeth chatter as I try to say. “No. I can make it, just two more hours.”


Mom rolls her eyes crying. “No son. You have been through enough today.” Folding the sweater vest over me and laying me in her lap, as I lay there shivering with fever and being terrified of the wolves.



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

45 Views
Added on May 9, 2019
Last Updated on January 31, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep