Prolog

Prolog

A Chapter by Shep

Prologue

Troubles

 

The year was 1923 November 19th it was a cold and windy night I remember distinctly because it was a hard winter. The hardest that I could remember when I was a boy and until today as my feet crunch through the hard pact snow and seeing the large icicles hanging down the trees in the Maple Grove Cemetery near where my parents are buried. My name is Brian O’ Donald my Da’ Oliver O’ Donald his friends called him Ollie and his closets friends called him scamper he recently died a year ago today and it was about this time the troubles started. I know what you might think… “Troubles” everyone’s got them, but my troubles weren’t that kind that everyone has, certainly not here in the burrows and not here on 22nd Saint Christopher Street in very small town called Dover in the state of New York where everyone knows everyone and everyone’s business as it were.

The “troubles” started two days after he was put into the cold hard ground. It seemed so strange now and almost obvious now that I think about it. The first night after his passing things seemed to go missing. Simple things like an ear ring or misplacing my house keys, things of that nature always seemed to go missing and turning up in the strangest places. For instance finding my Da’s watch in the ice box, still ticking with the time stuck at three O’clock. It was soon after that when things really got weird, me and my wife Sera started to hear whisperings in rooms we thought were empty and would stop the minute we walked in or opened the door. Not so much the dust had been moved except the night when the heavy storm blew through these parts did we see strange going on’s. For instance wet footsteps left behind in the entryway where my Da’ would hang his coat and leave his outdoor shoes by the door.

At first I thought I must be going crazy when the closet door would bang closed hard enough, knocking a vase over or a picture would fall off the wall and our cat Lucy a white ball of fur with a gray spot just above her head would howl and spit with her hair raised as if her tail was put in light socket staring into empty space finding nothing there. One night my wife woke hearing piano music coming from the pallor, thinking it was me tickling the ivories and went down to see if I was coming to bed soon, but finding nobody there. The music seemed to stop yet a soft moan or whispers seemed to pass her leaving her breath cold as ice seemed to crawl up the side room mirror before cracking.

 

No these “troubles” are not what everyone has and now things are getting worse much worse and nobody seems to believe us as they point and gossip behind our backs accusingly. We know now or we think we know someone or something is sending strange messages beyond the grave, but what and why and whom? Is the question.

 



© 2012 Shep


Author's Note

Shep
A new idea for a book that I have been thinking about and yes it is in first person for the moment as a introduction. Where it takes me we will have to wait and see. But please tell me what you think.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

A interesting introduction, you have many choices available and left the reader with a strong hook.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Shep

5 Years Ago

I see you found poems thanks
You're going to add more, right? this is an interesting start to a ghost novel. I like the tone of it, and the first person suits it well. The poem pairs with it well and each adds more meaning to the other. Write more!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Shep

11 Years Ago

Thanks for reading it. I am hoping to come back to soon. At this moment i spending great deal of my .. read more
i like it you shoudl publish it !!!! it is really good it will defiently be an interesting read and my geometry teacher will probably like it !!!! yep he likes harry potter :P well anyways i like it the opening poem keep it it goes great with the prologue !:P keep writing 1:)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Well just from this I can't wait to read more. Let's move on now.

Posted 11 Years Ago


"Prolog" should be spelled as "Prologue".

Your grammar improved! But there are still many run-on sentences here. You should break up your long sentences into shorter ones.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 12 Years Ago


Nice prologue, you have me interested. You also have me thinking I've got to go back and work on my own prologue, thank you.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 12 Years Ago


I like the questions and mystery raised by this introduction. You have create a interesting tale. I like how you wrote about how the situation fell and how the troubles started to happen. You have my attention. I look forward to see where you are taking this story. A excellent introduction.
Coyote

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

805 Views
7 Reviews
Added on February 16, 2012
Last Updated on February 25, 2012
Previous Versions


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep