Gifts

Gifts

A Chapter by Shin
"

Second Chapter

"

I woke up and went down for my breakfast. I saw my mom placing the plates at the table and my brother as usual in front of the TV again.


“How was yesterday?” my mom asked.

“It was fun. We went to the town and ate there.”

“That’s good.”


I ate and went to school. The gate was still closed when I got there. I was sitting beside my bike when there were lights on the street. Head lights I suppose. It’s was a Ferrari, could be Kevin. It stopped in front of me. Someone went outside from the driver’s seat.


Just what I have thought, it’s Kevin.


“What are you doing here this early?” he asked.

“I just want to go to school early this time. Why? How about you?” I said with my eyes closed, the light was still hurting my eyes.

“Me? I always go here at this time. It’s cold, let’s go inside my car.” he offered.

“Oh, okay. Besides, it really is cold.”


We went inside his car and he parked at the corner of the parking lot. The car was warm inside and really comfortable and suddenly I became sleepy.


“You should have you’re jacket with you every day. The weather here is always cold. Here take this” He gave his leather jacket to me. I felt warmer and the cold was gone.


I looked at him and he was staring at me, like I was an experiment and needed to be observed.


“Sleepy?”

“A bit” I said while yawning.

“Didn’t have a good sleep last night?”

“Yeah.”

“You can sleep here. I’ll just wake you up when the gate opens.” He adjusted the seat and placed a pillow under my head.

“Thank you”

I fell asleep after I said that. I woke up and saw Kevin sleeping at the other seat. The sun was shining and there are many people outside. I woke Kevin up.

“Kevin, wake up, there are people outside. The gate is already open see” I was shaking him.

“Jane and Abby are outside the car” Kevin said while looking outside the window.

We went outside and saw Jane and Abby at the gate. We approached them. They were standing there at the gate. Abby waved at us.

“How long have you been standing there?” I asked them.

“Not that long, maybe 10 minutes” Jane said.

“How long have you been together in that car?” her tone was teasing.

“We saw you inside the car, you were both sleeping like a baby” Jane said. They were both laughing.

“Hey, don’t think like that. I was here very early then he came in next. It was so cold outside so he decided to go inside the car, and I was sleepy so I slept there. I didn’t know that Kevin also slept” I said. My cheeks feel hot.

“You’re blushing!”

“No I’m not!”

“Yes you are!

“Let’s go now. The bell might ring and we will be late for our class” Kevin said.


Abby and Jane were staring at each other and were smiling. We started walking to our building and Kevin was at our back.


“What are you two laughing at awhile ago?” I asked them.

“You know, you too are compatible” Abby said.

“What! How do you say so?”

“You look like you know each other for so long and you two are so close all ready” Jane said.

“You two really know what’s running inside each others head.”

“A bit” Abby said.


I looked at Kevin at the back and he was blushing. It looks very funny because it’s the first time I saw Kevin’s face really red. Abby looked at the direction where I’m looking at and she also saw Kevin.


“Look, Kevin’s all red!” Abby shouted.


Jane looked at Kevin and she thought of it very funny too, I can see by her facial expression when she looked at him.


“Okay, let’s go. Don’t humiliate Kevin.”

“Okay, let’s go” Jane said.

We were going to our building and Kevin was only looking at the floor.

“Can you still see the way? You’re only looking at the floor. You might bump on some one or something” I said to him.

“It’s okay, I can still see” he replied with a low voice.

 Abby and Jane were discussing something that I can’t hear. Kevin was still not talking and still looking at the ground. He was not that kind of talkative person like other guys does. That’s why he is really different.


 And we went to our classroom. We were all seatmates now. I’m at the corner beside the window, Kevin beside me, in front of me was Jane and beside her was Abby.

* * * * *

            It’s been two months since we moved here and I made more friends. I know all of my classmates and we had bonding. We go to movies together and eat at lunch like a normal group of friends do. But most of my company is Kevin, Jane and Abby, we’re like best friends.

* * * * *

      It was lunch time and we just finished eating our lunch. We didn’t buy at the canteen. I don’t know why. We just thought of having a packed lunch instead of buying ourselves lunch. Besides, there are so many people at the canteen.


After eating, I looked at my bag and noticed that my trigonometry wasn’t there. It wasn’t under my chair either.


“Guys, do you know where my book is?”

“What book?” Jane said. Abby was still eating her lunch.

“Trigonometry”

“Maybe it’s inside your locker.”

“Yeah. Maybe. Could you guys accompany me?”

“Sure.”

“Wait for me.” Abby said even her mouth was still full.


We waited for her and went straight to the door after. We we’re at the door when Kevin and his guy friends blocked our way out.

           

 “Where are you guys going?” asked Kevin.

            “To our lockers” Jane answered.

            “Why?”

            “We need to check it.”

            “Okay, hurry back, I’ll show something to you guys.”

            “Sure” I answered. They stood back and gave us way. When we passed by them, they entered the classroom.

            “What was he going to show to us?” Abby asked.

            “Beats me. Let’s just see it later when we get back to the room. Maybe it’s a surprise for us or something” said Jane.

           

The lockers were down the hall and beside the stairs. My locker was at the corner beside the window. I opened my locker and a paper fell.


            “Hey, look. What’s that?” asked Abby, pointing at the paper that fell.

            “Duh, of course it’s a paper” said Jane.

            “I know it’s a paper” said Abby.

            “Then why’d you still ask?”

            “Okay. What’s in the paper?” she said emphasizing the word in.

            “I don’t know. I wasn’t the one who put that paper in there. Fatima, don’t you want to read it?” asked Jane.


I picked up the paper and read it silently. When I was finished reading it, it made me laugh hysterically. Abby and Jane were looking at me like I’m from the other world.


“Hey, why are you laughing all by yourself there? Tell us what’s in it” they we’re pulling the paper from my hands.

“Don’t pull the paper it might be torn.” They let go of the paper and I read it.

 

Fatima,

        Hi. Can I get your number? Please answer this. J

                                                                  -Anonymous-


“Oh my gosh, your have a secret admirer. How lucky are you. I am here for almost more than 12 yrs, and I never had a secret admirer.” said Abby.

“I guess that proves that she’s prettier than you” said Jane, laughing.

“Hey, who said that I’m pretty? No one did” I demanded.

“I wonder who that mysterious guy is” said Abby thinking.

“In fairness, he has a good handwriting for a boy.” Jane said.

“True” I second emotion.


I saw a rose inside my locker and took it. It’s still fresh and smells good. I was still checking my locker when a group of boys passed by. Abby was pushing Jane when the boys passed by. She’s going crazy when they were out of her sight.


“What’s happening to you? What’s wrong?” I asked her.

“Nothing’s wrong. He’s just so cute!” said Abby screaming and screaming.

“Who are you talking about?”

“Didn’t you see?”

“I was looking at my locker how will I see it? You didn’t even tell it to me” I said.

“Next time if he will pass by again I will tell it to you so you can see.”

“Let’s go back. Kevin is waiting for us” Jane blurted out.


We went back to our room and went back to our places. Kevin was holding three boxes when we came back.


“What’s that?” I asked Kevin.

“Here, this is for you guys.” He gave us each box. He gave me the biggest box. “Open them.” We opened our gifts.

 

Abby had a key chain with her name and also Jane. I had a little teddy bear and a bracelet.


“Hey, why it is that Fatima gets the cutest one?” said Abby.

“Because she was the first one I knew here, right?” Kevin smiled at me.

“Uh, yeah. Anyway, thanks for the gift” I said to Kevin and we hugged him, just a friendly hug. Kevin was smiling at us. The bell rang and classes started again.


I was looking at the window. I always look at the window when something is bothering me. I can’t help thinking of it. I can’t help thinking about the letter that was inside my locker. I can’t believe that some one has given me that. Abby looked at me. She might have noticed that I have something in my mind that I am not listening to the lesson. It was Math time then.


“What’s bothering you girl? You were looking at the window since the classes started” Abby was looking at me suspiciously.

“Nothing’s wrong. I was just thinking of what just happened” I said, still looking at the window.

“About the letter and the rose?” Abby asked me.

“Yeah, about that. I just can’t help thinking about it. I can’t imagine”

“What are you guys talking about? What letter? What rose? I don’t know about that” Kevin blurted out; we didn’t notice that he was listening to our discussion.

“Some one gave Fatima a letter and a rose and place it in her locker” Abby answered him.

“Really? Who was that person? Why didn’t you tell me? I thought we we’re friends” Kevin said, he was acting like a child..

“Yes you are our friend. We just forgot to tell you about it because you gave us your gift and everything. We didn’t know because he just said “Anonymous” so we don’t know who that mystery guy is” Abby told Kevin. Kevin looked at me. I know that he looked but I didn’t look back, I was still looking at the window.


The bell rang and we were dismissed. My friends were going home early because they have a business with their family and everything.


I was walking my way to the library when there was hand on my shoulder. When I looked, it was Kevin.


“Where are you going?” he asked.

“To the library. I thought you’re leaving early?”

“Yeah I am, we have the same way so I could accompany you there.”

“Thanks but, you really don’t have to. I’m fine.”

“I want to pass by the library for once.”

“Oh, okay. What’s with your house by the way?”

“I’m cooking.”

“You’re cooking?” I didn’t know that he can cook.

“Yeah. My relatives are coming over.”

“I didn’t know you knew how to cook.”

“Ha-ha. I know how to cook since grade school. My mom thought me everything I need to know about cooking. She’s a good chef.” We we’re in front of the library and it’s time to say goodbye.

“So, here we are. Bye. Good luck on finding that book.”

“Sure. Good luck on cooking.”

“Next time, go to our house, I’ll be cooking my specialty so you could taste it.”

“Sure. I bet that’ll be delicious.”

“Yeah. Ciao!” He waved and made his way to the gate.


I entered the library. It was big and it doesn’t look like a library. It was more like of a museum to me. There was a map on the middle of the lobby. So, because I didn’t know where section I’ll find that book, I went there. It was on the third floor, literature section. I used the stairs even though there was an elevator. I’m kind of claustrophobic in a way so I hate elevators. Besides, walking is a good form of exercise.


I was able to find where the section was. When I entered, it really looks like a museum. While I was looking at the shelves, some one touched my arm, it was a little boy. He was smiling at me when I looked. He was chubby, because of his smile, I can’t see his eyes. He was wearing a school uniform, with the patch of our school. I was thinking maybe the boy came from the elementary department. But, how did he get inside?


The boy was holding a white rose and reaches it out to me. I got it from his little and chubby hands. Then he ran away. I ran after him and caught his arm.


“Who send you here to give me this?” I asked the kid.

“My coutin ted that I give it to you” the little boy said, he wasn’t able to speak that clearly.

“Who’s your cousin then?

“No no.” He was shaking his head. So cute!

“Why don’t say it?”

“He ted that I tud not tay hit name to you”

“Why not?”

“Me not know” little boy said, he smiled at me; he has dimples at both sides of his cheeks.

“Oh, okay, just say to him thank you” I smiled at the boy and he ran down and went out. The rose smells like the one that was inside my locker. I went back to the shelves and found the book that I was looking. I borrowed it and went out of the library.


When I went out, I saw the little boy, he was with a guy. They guy gave him a big lollipop and the both entered a car. They were both standing back so I didn’t actually see the face. But I think I already saw him from somewhere. Maybe he’s the one who placed the rose in my locker but, who is he?


I went home and can’t concentrate on things even though we have plenty of assignments and projects to make.


I can’t sleep that night. I was still thinking about what happened. I don’t know why I was still thinking about it. I was trying to get my sleep but I really can’t.  I read the book that I got from the library and slept at about 12 midnight. I finished half of the book.


Then, just like my routine, I ate then went to school. When I reached the school, there were just only several people. I went inside and went straight to our classroom so that I could study our lessons. When I got there, some of my classmates were reading their Physics notebook, I know because we have a color code for Physics.


“Hey, why are you reading?” I asked my classmate.

“We have a quiz in Physics right?”

“Oh gosh! I forgot!” I ran to my seat and saw a rose above my chair and a piece of paper next to it.

 

I do not know what it is about you that closes
and opens; only something in me understands
the voice of your eyes is deeper than all roses :)

 

 

I was just staring at the paper when someone pushed me from behind.


“Fatima! What’s that? Another love letter?” Abby shouted.

“You don’t need to shout” I said to her.

“Okay, okay. Sorry. Let me read it. What’s in it?”

“Here, read it” I gave the paper to Abby and she read it.

“That quotation can melt a girls’ heart. It’s so beautiful. I wish that the one who likes me will be like that. That’s so sweet of him” said Abby.

“Then tell him to court you” I said laughing.

“Yeah. Very funny Fatima. I don’t even know him” she said.

“Neither do I.”


We sat down when the bell rang.


“Did you guys study for the quiz?”

“Yeah” They answered in chorus.

“Did you?” Kevin asked me.

“No. I totally forgot all about it.”

“You can just copy from me.” Abby suggested.

“No thanks. I don’t copy.”

“Okay.”


We had the quiz and I totally don’t know the answers. Good thing I was listening to some of the lessons. At least I have still something on my mind not just what happened yesterday. I just guessed some of the problem solving and multiple choice items. I felt really frustrated after the quiz. That was my first time to fail a quiz in science! Well, I feel I’ll fail in the quiz.


“Did you see who placed something on my table?” I asked my classmate who’s always the one who goes inside our room early.

“No. Sorry.”

“It’s okay. Thanks.” I went out of the room and went home, still feeling frustrated and confused.


Days pass by and I still receive roses above my arm chair. Everyday I receive a rose and a letter, the rose gets many each day pass. My friends and classmates never saw the one who placed those strange gifts on my table.



© 2011 Shin


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

288 Views
Added on January 18, 2011
Last Updated on January 18, 2011


Author

Shin
Shin

MNL, Philippines



About
Hi. I'm Katrina. 17 year old who likes writing poems, short stories, and novels for fun. :) I can't really share all my writings here because of school. And yeah, hope you all enjoy them. I .. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shin


Angels Cry Angels Cry

A Book by Shin


Liham (Letter) Liham (Letter)

A Story by Shin