Best Friends, Best Rivals

Best Friends, Best Rivals

A Story by Shin
"

Will their friendship be torn apart because of love?

"

They say that true love can wait. But we can’t stand to fall in love in the wrong time in our lives. You cannot fight what your heart says. You cannot prevent your heart from beating for the one you would not expect to love. First, you just have a crush on her but; you would not expect to love her. Second, you love her, but too shy to tell her what you feel. But, what if you all ready have to guts to say to her that you love her, but you’ll just find out that the one she loves is you best friend? What will you do? Would you just keep it a secret and let them be happy, but deep inside you’re hurt or lose your friendship that you thought would last forever?

 

            I have a crush on the most popular girl at school, Cindy. She’s pretty, smart, and kind. All those boys go crazy on her. Their classroom was just in front of our classroom so I always go out of our classroom during lunch and recess time just to see her.

           

            “Who are you staring at?” Troy asked when I was standing at the side of his locker. Troy is my best friend and classmate. He’s like a brother to me.

            “Nothing”

            “Come on Rick, who?”

            “No one, I was staring at the wall.”

            “Okay, which one of them huh?” he was looking at the direction where Cindy and her friends were.

            “No one. Come on; let’s just study for our test.”

 

            No one knew that I like Cindy, then the school year ended and the enrollment came. I was looking at the sections and I saw my name, Troy’s name, and Cindy’s name at the same paper, which means were at the same section and we’re classmates!

 

            I think this is the best year that I will be having. I’m with my best friend and with the one I like.

 

            Cindy and I became friends and we share secrets. We became close. I still haven’t told her that I like her. The more time we were together, I fell for her. She’s so kind and so helpful, she’s the one for me, I thought. It came to the time that I felt that I love her already.

 

            I told Troy what I really felt.

           

            “If you want to see the girl you like every day and you can’t stop thinking about her, you do everything just for her to like you back then does that mean that you already love the girl?”

            “Well I can’t say that but I think that the boy really likes her. Why?”

            “Do you think the boy should tell her that he loves her?”

            “Of course, if he won’t, he might be too late. Be he should be sure about his feelings.”

            “Thanks.”

            “Why’d you ask?”

            “Nothing.” I put down the phone and think.

 

            Maybe I should say it to her, tomorrow. My cell phone rang and got it. It was a message from Cindy.

           

            Could you meet me tomorrow, at the park? I have something to tell you.

 

            What would that be? Maybe she’s going to say that she likes me too. I really excited with that thought.

 

            Sure. What time?

           

            4 in the afternoon, by the fountain.

 

            With the excitement that I felt, I wasn’t able to sleep that night. I was imagining that I was with her and we’re together as a couple and we were very happy. All the boys at school envy me because I was with the most popular girl in school.

 

            It took me so long to know what to wear. I scrubbed myself twice and brushed my teeth thrice. I picked up my best polo and pants and shoes. I also used the perfume that my dad gave me for a present, for the first time. I arrived at our meeting place at 3:45. I was looking that maybe she was about to arrive. She arrived at 4:15.

 

            “I’m sorry I’m late. My mom asked me to do something.”

            “It’s okay. Don’t worry.”

 

            She sat beside me.

 

            “So, what are you going to tell me?” I asked.

            “I have someone I like.”

            “Really? Who?”

            “It’s…Troy”

           

          When she said the word Troy, I think my whole world collapsed into pieces. The one I love likes my best friend and I don’t know if he likes Cindy too. Why would he not? She’s the perfect girl.

 

           “Hey Rick, are you okay? You’re all white. What’s the matter?”

           “Huh. Nothing.”

          “So, do you think he likes me too?” She was jolly and she looks excited.

            “Maybe.”

            “You think so?” She was smiling.

            “Uh, yeah.”

            “Do you think I should tell him?”

            “A girl, telling a guy she likes him? I don’t think so. Maybe he’ll be the one to say that he likes you too. Just wait for the right time.”

            “Thanks Rick! You’re the best. Let’s eat. It’s my treat.”

 

            We went to Bunsen Burgers. It was in front of our school. We talked about Troy, what he’s hobbies are etc. Why don’t we talk about me? I thought. I’m the one you’re with then we talk about my best friend. Hello! I love you Cindy. Don’t you realize that? 


    I kept my cool and I just answered all her questions about Troy. After accompanying her home, I went straight to my house and to my room.

 

            I can’t believe it! The girl I love likes my best friend. What if Troy likes her too?

 

            It was the end of the first semester and Cindy and Troy were seat mates. Every time I look at them, they were so happy. How I wish I was at Troy’s position now. No doubt that Troy would like Cindy back. Those sweet smiles and beautiful eyes, who would not fall for her.

           

            Troy approached me one lunch time.

 

            “Could I join my best friend for lunch?”

            “Sure.”

           

            Troy was staring at me.

           

            “Why?”

            “Nothing. I just noticed that you were quiet these days.”

            “Oh. That.”

            “What’s wrong?”

            “Nothing.”

            “It can’t be nothing. You’re not like that before.”

            “I just don’t want to talk about it.”

            “Okay.”

 

            It was a Saturday afternoon and I went to the town’s library to borrow some books. Cindy texted me.

 

            You’re right! I think Troy likes me too!

 

            Well, that’s good. Good luck.

 

            Thank you so much Rick!

 

            Sure, you’re always welcome.

 

            When I got home, I called Troy at their house.

 

            “Hello?” he was the one who picked up the phone.

            “Hey Rick, what’s up?”

            “I have a question.”

            “What’s that? That looks serious.”

            “Do you like Cindy?”

 

            He was laughing at the other line.

 

            “No. I don’t like her. I have someone I like.”

            “Who?”

            “Sam.”

            “Sam, Samantha? Seat mate of James?”

            “Yeah. In fact, we had a date awhile ago.”

            “Why didn’t you tell me?”

           “I was about to tell you but you were not home and your mom said you were out.”

            “Then, why are you always laughing with Cindy at classes?”

            “Oh that, we were talking about the teachers and how weird Brook is.”

            “Oh. Thanks. Bye.”

            “Sure man.”

           

            How will I tell Cindy that Troy likes Sam? Maybe I shouldn’t tell her. She might get really upset if I tell her.

 

            The 2nd semester was about to end and Cindy approached me.

 

            “Oh, Hi...” She slapped me. “Why?”

            “You said he likes me too but he doesn’t!”

            “I thought…”

            “You lied to me! You made me expect that he’ll like me back! I hate you!”

            “What happened?”

          “You don’t know? Sam and Troy are together! And I’m left alone and hurt. I hate you!”

  “But Cindy.”

 “Don’t talk to me anymore! I don’t care what kind of explanation you’ll give me.”

  “I’m sorry.”

 “Sorry? You’re sorry? You just don’t know the feeling when someone you love doesn’t love you back. It hurts so much Rick! It’s killing me! And you’re saying you’re sorry? You’re being funny Rick.”

 “I’m really sorry.”

 “Well your sorry wouldn’t be enough for me to be happy. He’s gone and he’ll never be mine. Get away and get out of my life!” She ran away and never gave me a chance to explain. Since then, she never talked to me or even texted me. I said sorry again and again but she isn’t replying. I was trying to call at her house but she doesn’t want to talk.

 

            “You think I should let her go?” I asked Troy.

            “Who?”

            “Cindy.”

            “You like her do you?”

            “I love her.”

            “But she hates you.”

            “I know. You think I should let go of her now that she hates me?”

            “Maybe you should talk to her first.”

            “But she doesn’t want to talk.”

            “Just forget about her. Don’t think of her too much. Just talk to her when you’re both okay.”

            “You’re right. Maybe she’s not the one for me after all.”

            “Don’t be too fast. There are a lot of girls out there.”

            “Yeah.”

 

           So, I stopped thinking about her and even deleted her number on my phonebook. When would be the time that I’ll tell her that I loved her when she was in love with someone else? When will she know that I know the feeling when you love someone and they’ll never love you back? When will she ever know that everything she said hurts? When will she know that every time I see her smile with someone else, it hurts so much inside? When will she know that every time she’s happy I’m twice as happy? When will she know that everything I did is for her to notice me, to know that I love her, to know that I’m the one for her?

           

            Maybe she’s not the one for me after all and not all that we wish to have, even though we do whatever it takes to have, we’ll have. Not all the persons that we love at first will be the last.

 

© 2011 Shin


Author's Note

Shin
I wrote this for an application to be a literary editor in our school newspaper and fortunately, I got the position! So yeah. I hope ye all enjoy it :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

417 Views
Added on April 5, 2011
Last Updated on April 5, 2011
Tags: best friends, rivals, love, story, friendship, torn, shin

Author

Shin
Shin

MNL, Philippines



About
Hi. I'm Katrina. 17 year old who likes writing poems, short stories, and novels for fun. :) I can't really share all my writings here because of school. And yeah, hope you all enjoy them. I .. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shin


Angels Cry Angels Cry

A Book by Shin


Liham (Letter) Liham (Letter)

A Story by Shin