Chapter Two

Chapter Two

A Chapter by kpie

Chapter 2

“You realize that I don’t open till 7 AM. I’ve never opened before 7 AM …”


The voice was male and held a deepness that one would expect an older brother to have when speaking to their younger sibling. It sounded almost flat and unemotional save for the bits of annoyance tossed into it thanks to the words it was speaking. It belonged to a man looking no more than 28 years and that stood tall at a 6’5” height; he was built large with nearly 180 pounds of toned muscle to his name. He’d opened the front door to a small bakery initially to take out the trash in the early 6 AM air … and here he’d found the guy sitting on his front stoop smoking what looked to be his third cigarette again. The older male sighed, icy blue eyes narrowing slightly to assess the mental state of the producer blocking his front door, “Reid, why do you and that woman constantly show up before I even open?”


“If you really minded you wouldn’t let us in, Haalen.” Reid smirked, meeting the bright eyes with suddenly chipper gray ones. Haalen was older, slightly larger, and very much calmer than himself; he had known the man since he was in grade school and grown up alongside he and the woman the baker was referencing: Reina.  In the end they were childhood friends that all had their eyes set on big names for themselves, and ended up even following one another to the same large city by the ocean.

Haalen was an attractive man with wavy, usually messy, black hair that clung to his face; his bangs were cut to swoop and the textured locks were grown out to touch the nape of his neck and frame the man’s harsh squared jaw. As Reid had pointed out many times if they lived in a virtual RPG Haalen would be the quiet, stoic, guy with the big sword that always acted like a big brother to everyone …. And surprising enough the man in question never once complained about this description of himself. The irony in this though was the man’s profession: he was a baker and the owner of this corner bakery and café who much prided in his work. Even now he was sporting an already dusty red apron which signaled he’d been up since at least 5 this morning starting his day and starting to prepare fresh bread for the regular customers that frequented him.


Haalen brushed past his friend lightly with his two loads of garbage before returning from around the back of the building and wiping his hands on the edge of the already mucky apron. He’d be changing it before returning to his kitchen so he didn’t mind wiping the old cookie batter that had managed onto his fingers from the black bags he’d disposed of. Sighing yet again he sank into a sit beside the other dark headed man, cocking a brow as if he already knew what was going to come out of the younger one’s mouth, “Work or Isabella this time?”


“Izzy’s birthday was yesterday so we went out last night. You two forgot again, I’d say.” This was a little quip that the producer passed off nearly as instantly as he’d spoken it by taking a drag from his tobacco. “I acted selfishly before we left, and upon returning home, so I’ve been sitting here since around 3 AM.” Gray eyes monitoring the cloudy sky he seemed to collect his thoughts before continuing on, “What can I say?”


Haalen rolled his eyes and reached over to punch his companion in the head softly, “How about you try throwing away that pride for once?” without as much as looking at the 26 year old he stood and opened his front door, “Come on, I’ve already got fresh coffee brewing. It looks like it’s going to storm today and you’re cold, right?” Reid watched in silence, thankful for the understanding " even if brash " nature of his big brother as it was a stability factor for him. “Ah, thanks. I’m coming in.” Haalen nodded and allowed the door to close with naught but the chime of the cowbell attached to it filling the air and left Reid alone.


Gray eyes watching the sky he allowed his cigarette to sizzle to ash without as much as another huff from it. There was a nip in the air, a low wind blowing from the south clearly from the far distant mountains a couple hours away. This time of year constantly reminded him of when they were younger, growing up in a small town a good two days drive from this place. It was the end of January, so the cold should be fizzling out by now and yet it still hung around in the early morning and late hours. “S**t, my hands are numb.” Tossing the burned butt to the ground he stamped it for reassurance before turning to enter the cafe. As if welcoming him the smell of coffee and fresh cinnamon buns filled his nostrils followed by the smooth classical sound of Debussy. “You never get tired of that mellow stuff, eh?”


“It’s calming, and nice to listen to. I listen to things you work on though, and I’m forced to listen to that pop crap that Reina puts out.” Haalen had taken his place behind the glass display case and was starting to transfer his fresh creations into it for the day. The scent of baking cookies and petite fours mixed with the pastry that had been prepared on a dish at the opposite end of the counter that served as a bar. Reid settled into the stool and lifted the cup of brew to warm his hands, it smelled light and much like a breakfast blend. He was the type to drink dark roasts, which is probably why he and Isabella got along well enough in the morning. She was a coffee fiend and could drink something super light yet preferred the darker and robust blends much like himself; he was just less kind to the lighter blends as he viewed them as a waste of beans.


“I didn’t expect you this morning so I only put on the type of bean Reina likes. Sorry.” Haalen looked up and smiled lightly as Reid waved his hand to dismiss his words; he was already taking a long drag from the cup and had started pulling his breakfast apart to eat with his free hand. Icy eyes returning to the croissants he was chauffeuring Haalen found himself relaxing; he worried a bit about that idiot’s well being as he had a tendency to survive off of only coffee and cigarettes when he was working hard or in a mood. Fortunately this time of year was just after the months when he went through spells of withdrawal; October through December were his worst months, even with his birthday being in October.


Then again it went from the bad, cold months of the year causing him to withdraw into the springs and summers where he threw himself into high gear with work. Fall really was the only season Reid functioned at 100% in and it was tiring to deal with on occasion, even the large man closing his display case could attest to that. “So, what exactly did you do that sent you to my stoop?” Heading over with his own cup of coffee the 28 year old leaned forward onto his counter, eyes intense and ears listening attentively. Reid simply shrugged, taking a drink from his cup as he finished off his cinnamon bun in silence.


He really didn’t want to talk about it, but at the same time he did. He always wanted to talk about things with this guy as he trusted him and felt safe to whine.


“I brought up a lot of things I shouldn’t have about her past, and ended up making her really mad at dinner when I hit on the cute waitress.” He was thinking over the night before, brows knit and dark eyes boring into the half full cup in front of him. “She ended up leaving as I got the bill and walking home alone … which was worrisome enough for me. I don’t like her walking around at night in this city … and what made it worse was when I got home and found her passed out on the couch on the indoor porch.”


“So you acted on a whim trying to take away from the fact you took her on a date, it actually hurt her feelings and she decided to get back at you by letting you worry yourself sick on the way home?” Haalen sighed; good lord those two were a pair of headaches. They both acted on impulse and were terrible with their emotions. Literally the only difference between the two of them was that Reid was stupid enough to act like a genuine a*****e whereas Isabella took everything literally and reacted sarcastic.


“She’d been crying when I got home; her arm and the cushion were still wet and I’m certain it wasn’t just drool this time around.” Running his hands into his hair he’d managed to lean into his palms and hide his face. Reid hissed under his breath, feeling the pity seething off of his friend already, “I know, I know. I’m a dumb a*s that acts on impulse and need to learn to stop being a masochist.”


“I’d say you just need to forgive yourself and others and be done with it, but call it what you will.”


Jerking his eyes upwards Reid watched as Haalen rubbed the back of his neck and retreated towards his kitchen. That guy was right, hell he was always right, but his advice was too simple to follow. It made too much sense that it logically couldn’t be right … that and it was really hard to follow most times. “Hey, thanks for the coffee and breakfast.” Without saying anything more he placed a twenty on the bar top before standing and checking his wristwatch. It was nearly 7 AM, which meant this place would start filling up soon. “Oi, bring the whiner over for dinner and drinks this Friday. I got a big client yesterday so we’re celebrating after I run myself into the ground all week!” Without waiting for his brother to return he headed out the front door and towards the higher classed part of the city, where the shopping and business districts lay.


Haalen had returned from the back of the bakery shortly after Reid departed and wandered over to his empty seat with a strange look in his eye. He’d spotted the money and mentally knocked the younger man in the head: time and time again he had told him not to pay because family didn’t pay. Well, he made his fiance’ pay but only because it made her angry and she was cute when she got angry.  He’d started clearing away the empty plate when a thump on the window caught his attention and drug his icy gaze to something he could barely believe.


“The hell did I do in my last life to deserve this karma?”


A young woman had pressed her nose to the glass and was looking in with large, tear filled, brown eyes at the man so far away from her. Okay, so not actually at the man within the shop but at the small cakes that were already arranged delicately within the display case to his right; he probably knew this which was why she looked flabbergasted. The front door was usually locked, and it appeared Haalen was glad she hadn’t checked it this morning. “Haalen!” Her voice was soft, holding a light whine that resembled a small puppy which had been scolded horribly and would make most react in pity. Reina was a lovely young woman, 25 years old to be exact, and had curly light blonde hair that reached her elbows.


She was small, barely 110 pounds and stood and the lavish height of 5’2”; all in all she looked like a porcelain doll with her delicate complexion and perfectly groomed appearance. She had grown up with the two men and had been at Haalen’s side for most of their lives … well other than the time they broke up because she was childish and he wouldn’t tolerate it. In the end fate deemed them suitable for they met again three years ago in this city and resumed their relationship where they’d left off " minus her screwing up again and ending with Haalen proposing this past New Year. She was a singer, and a rather popular one at that; her voice was soft and melodic with vocal ranges that took her from soft classical works to that of energetic pop-rock stages.


Haalen liked her softer music, while she liked her peppy numbers better.


Seeing the man ignore her with a dark look she whined audibly and pressed her face farther into the glass. One of her biggest weaknesses was his cooking, and especially his small cakes that he made for she adored sweets. “Haalen! Let me in!” Whining again she’d closed her eyes and stepped back to cover them with her hands as if to show the man she was really crying this time. This seemed to work for the front door opened with the clank of a cowbell caused her head to jerk up instantly. “Yay!”


“Get in already, your cake is in the back.” Haalen glared, nodding towards a small table near the rear of the establishment. He’d already set it up with a small strawberry shortcake shaped like a heart and a cup of steaming coffee. He acted annoyed by this type of thing, and in most instances actually was; this was their relationship dynamic though, as it always had been. He was the wise, calm and rather blunt one and she was the childish, naïve and selfish one … ironically she and Reid had some minor similarities that neither of them would admit to. Reina rushed into the café like a wind and settled into her seat so fast Haalen had to take a second glance.


“Reid was here this morning, wasn’t he?” She’d noticed the cigarette butts outside. Lifting a piece of the sweet to her lips she took a bite a chewed for a moment before watching the icy eyes advancing upon her, “Was he alright?” Reid was like her older brother, and even if they fought like cats and dogs she worried over him.

Haalen settled into the seat in front of the blonde with a shrug, “He acted impulsively and was regretting it so he’s fine, just moping.” Reina laughed before taking another bite of her treat, “Nothing new there.” The 28 year old looked out towards the cloudy sky, thinking, “He seemed like that time we found him by the river honestly … he’s confused about a lot and his pride is getting in the way of his judgement.” Silence followed these words as if it were a delicate subject, and one that Haalen finally cleared the air of after a three minute pause. “He also invited us over this weekend to party …”


“Yay! I like playing that dance game with Izzle!”


I wonder if you even remember that time by the riverbank, Reid …


You ran off when we were in middle school and had everyone worried, and we all assumed it was something selfish. You really needed us at that time though … and we were late. I still remember apologizing to you multiple times because I hadn’t picked up on it beforehand.


We met Reina after one another, remember?


You were an orphan and we met when we were grade school kids at the park. My Mom had taken me out to play, and you were being bullied by two idiots at the swings because of your ratty clothes and a missing tooth. What I always found funny was the fact you slugged them both before they started beating the s**t out of you, and all you did was laugh with this harsh look on your face. They had insulted your clothing, the things your Mom worked hard for every day to provide you. It pissed me off.


It pissed you off but the way you dealt with such things was always different. I punched things and people, and you got by with laughing and acting as if nothing was wrong. At that time I understood you, because if you acted as if something was wrong your Mother would question. … And if she questioned she’d have been sad, right? You had only been with her two months if I recall correctly; it was just the two of you as she adopted you on her own, unmarried, and unable to have kids.


That’s why it pissed me off when you ran off on your own to the river …


Your Mother … at that time … she’d died the night before and I hadn’t even known she was ill. I had to face you with that same look, one where you were holding back tears and laughing in an attempt to avoid talking about " to avoid showing you were in pain. You didn’t want to burden me with it.


I watch you with Isabella constantly, kiddo ... and the way you interact with her is similar. You want to protect her, and keep her safe and happy without as much as a thought about your feelings. You know the type of guy you are better than any of us, which is why it scares you, eh? It scares you that you care for her because you know you’re the type that can hurt her … And if you hurt her it would hit you much like the day your Mom died, right?


“Isabella!”


Honestly she’d been dosing in her office when the thick voice of her boss bellowed from outside of her door; it jerked her awake fearfully and the brunette started frantically opening things on her desktop. She actually had been working on a piece from the fashion show she’d attended two days before, but had stumbled upon a bit of writers block and started fooling around on her phone. Reid hadn’t been at home when she’d woken up … and she’d gotten worried so she’d been trying to harass him the past two hours. Izzy looked up and smiled brightly, “I’m working sir! You’ll have the piece done and sent to your email in an hour! I had to edit a few photos a bit more than I thought because of the lighting!”


Pauli, dubbed Panda by Reid because of the bags under his eyes and his mixture of black and white hair, had stuck his head in the door and was watching with a narrowed gaze. He was an older man, one could even dare say he was much like a father figure thanks to his ripe years of 56 and his well-groomed appearance. He always wore nice trousers, a button up and a fitted vest - and changed the color of it daily; today he was in a white button up and matching gray pinstripe. His hair lacked the even salt and pepper look that most men his age prided themselves on, for instead of gray … his hair was pure white and starkly contrasted the remaining strands of black that ran through it.


“Alright, if it’s not there in an hour that man’s ear is going to be full … and I swear I’ll dock your pay!”

“Oi! Don’t do that!” She’d called out brashly and stood up, slamming her hands down into her desk without thinking. “Yell at him all you want but don’t take it out on me for being out yesterday! I need my paycheck, Panda!” Oh s**t. She’d let it slip again. The man hissed, a dark look coming over his features instantly at the nickname, “No PTO for you, Greer!” Without another word he turned and closed the door, already reaching for his cell phone to seek out a number.


“Damn it, Reid!” Equally the young woman nabbed her cell, in a mock rage that was instantly quelled by two new message notifications. Oh, had he answered her? Wait why did she care, she was angry at him!


I swear when I get home I’m going to dye all of your socks pink! ~ Izzy


After a few moments a little pi-pi, much like the sound of a cartoon bird alerted her of a response.


Oi. Why did Panda call me and scold me for not respecting my elders? ~ Reid


Isabella groaned, hand running over her face dramatically; she was glad he wasn’t in a bad mood … she was glad he was okay. Honestly when she’d woken up and found the house empty she’d started worrying something happened in the middle of the night, even to the point that she’d called Haalen when she’d gotten to work to check in with he and Reina. That’s when she’d found out Reid had been there and instantly had started worrying for a completely different reason … he went there when his mind was buzzing and he didn’t want her to see him in a mood. So shortly after 10 AM she’s started trying to pester him to check on his state, even after Haalen had stated he was fine.


Also, we’re having guests over Friday night so be prepared. Well … just Haal and Rei so I guess it’s not that big of a deal. Buy some booze on your way home tomorrow so we’re stocked up, ya? ~ Reid


That jerk, already sending her on another shopping trip?


The 23 year old sighed, a small smile pulling over her lips despite the annoyance in her thoughts. Good, he really was okay; maybe he’d been stressed about work? She knew Haalen would tell her if something big was going on, but that man was an iron vault for anything you told him … he valued his privacy as well as that of others. Oh, that reminded her, Reid had gotten a big deal signed yesterday … so it made sense he might be a bit stressed from work. That meant he was going to be holed up in his studio the next few days to boot: maybe she should take him something to eat tonight when she got off?


Alright. I’ll get some snacks too. Now I really need to finish this article before Panda comes back! Don’t work too hard, a*****e! ~ Izzy


Now, she’d finish this article and then the rest of her research for the other one she had to start; maybe she’d even work through lunch just in case Pauli was serious about not giving her the day of PTO. Oh god, she really hoped he wasn’t serious about that! She still had to find something to wear to her next event and her paycheck was direly important for such a thing. The young woman was in the middle of typing out a sentence when her phone chimed again, and against her better judgement she looked.


Bring me lunch. Chinese? Around 4? ~ Reid


… S**t. So much for her plan. The brunette stared at the text a moment, partly wanting to respond and tell him no but not being able to do so. Relief seemed to fill her shoulders, and they settled as if she’d been carrying a boulder of uneasiness. Honestly she’d been thinking over the night before and how she’d reacted to something … to him acting normally. Not that it had been that big of a deal, but because of the lack of women in the house the past few months she’d thought maybe he’d grown up a bit. So seeing him trying to talk the woman serving them into coming back home with them had been a little unsettling, not to mention she’d gotten a little …

“Not even a little bit.” As if stopping her train of thought by stating this verbally Izzy swallowed hard. She would not admit, not even to herself, that she’d been even the slightest bit jealous. Who cared if it was her birthday? Who cared that he had been so nice to her and then flipped suddenly? Nope, she couldn’t care at all. It was a stupid thing to care about, to even think about, and certainly was a waste of her time and effort to even put any thought into it. “Ugh, I’ll take him lunch only because I feel guilty …”


Without another word, or looking at her phone again the young woman set herself into a flow to finish her job. She had a lot to do before she left for the day; she’d end up just leaving at 4 today since the office closed at 5 anyway. Wait … Had he thought about that?


Nope! She wasn’t thinking anymore!

 

My favorite memory growing up was baking with my Grandmother; the smells that often filled her house were intoxicating. Plus, I enjoyed hearing her hum and sing while we kneaded bread dough.


It’s such a strange thing to think of, or even compare for that matter, but I often recall this memory when I catch wind of musical notes on the patio that leads to the ocean at home now. I know the voices are nothing alike, but for some reason they both give me a calm that I can’t explain with words.


It’s almost as if I can still taste the sweetness of my Grandmother’s cookies when I hear you humming outside. See you sitting perched on the railing facing the rolling waves as the sun sinks down for the day.


I used to sit outside under the open kitchen window when I was growing up, eyes closed and simply listening to the sounds from within the home. Of creation, of joy and of peace. I often find myself standing in the indoor porch, doing the same through the screen door when you’re out there in your element. When you’re absorbed in the old acoustic in your lap and keeping time with the rolling sea. I don’t think you realize that I do this, even late at night after you think I’m sleeping.


Hey, Reid … I want you to play me a song one day.

 

“Thank you so much, Marsha!” Isabella was walking down the street, dodging the oncoming foot traffic as she headed towards the busier parts of the city. She had a bag in her right hand, and her purse thrown over her shoulder as she spoke on the phone with a large smile; she’d been talking to a friend about arranging a dress order, and thankfully he’d agreed.


“You better remind Reid to come see me. He hasn’t been down in a while and he used to be down at least every two weeks with a girl! He was nearly half my business for god sake!” A mildly feminine male voice was speaking on the other end " Marsha Dixon, a famous designer and owner of multiple boutiques around the world. Izzy had met the man through Reid naturally, and been surprised at first for he was extremely gender fluid. One day the man could be in a suit and the next dressed to the nines in a flawless gown; Izzy wasn’t the type to judge but the shock of their initial meeting was purely out of never meeting a man with such lovely eyebrows and talent with applying eyeliner! He’d had perfect cat eyes for god sake and she’d been drop dead jealous!


“I will, I promise. I’ll be by tomorrow on my lunch break to pick up the dress! Thank you so much!” Without another word the phone call ended on a good note, just in time for the young woman to round the corner and spot the small black building on the street corner. It was nestled between a record store and a coffee shop " both necessities for the man whom owned it, so its location was fitting and honestly probably why he’d bought the property. Opening the front door she found herself in the small lobby that led to the hallway one would take to go farther back, the one of which a large door lay at the end of that was locked by security code. Izzy headed through the small waiting area which held couch, a television and a stack of books upon multiples shelves. Upon simply entering this part of the place one would think it was plain, but as she started down the angled hallway and took the sharp right to lead to the door it burst into color with lines of records and awards covering the walls.


Reid was talented, and this was his trophy hallway: where he hung all of his hits and snippets from albums he helped create. This hallway was his pride, his joy, and where one could often find him in the studio if he wasn’t beyond the secret door. More often than not she found herself searching through the walls, studying them as if they were holy documents and items before finally reaching the large metal door. She put her phone into her back pocket before looking up to investigate the usually lit light above the large door; thank god it wasn’t lit at all at the moment. Finally she reached out and tapped in the access code. “Knock, knock.” The 23 year old peeked in, instantly thrown into a room lined with tables holding equipment and three rolling chairs; to the right was a comfortable, well used, couch placed behind a glass coffee table. Several bookshelves lined the walls holding varied titles, and magazines, as well as a few comfy chairs were tossed about for both seating as well as decoration.


She found two figures, one meeting her with relieved gray eyes and the other rather excited emerald. The owner of the other set of green eyes was a woman looking to be no more than 24 years old and was built like a highly athletic model. She was tall, topping out around 5’9”, and around 130 pounds of toned muscle beneath her fitted clothing. Her hair was just past her shoulders and a dark, almost mahogany, brown yet was pulled back into a loose pony tail and situated under a large billed hat. It complimented her pale skin and bright green eyes; she was an attractive woman with a laid-back personality like Reid, and was just as popular with women. In all honesty Isabella had developed a minor crush upon the Irishwoman, whom hailed from the country literally, upon first meeting her a little over a year ago.


Needless to say, she’d been terribly upset to find out the woman had a girlfriend " and the two were a power couple to boot.


Tulley owned a local bar that had become a must visit site for tourists, and her lady Julia was a drummer in a famous up and coming band known as Park Avenue. One that Reid had helped produce their first album actually. The male leaning back in his large leather chair had known the Irishwoman for nearly three years, and had become fast friends thanks to their similar nature as well as his frequency in her bar.


Tulley was speaking in Irish Gaelic to woman whom sounded older on the other end, her mother to be precise, as Isabella entered. With a grin she continued her conversation and hopped up to give the other brunette a huge hug. Izzy returned it quietly before snagging a small container from the brown bag she’d been carrying and a pair of chopsticks; she then made her way to the watching gray eyes whom had taken an interest in her digging about in the food. “When did they get back from the Bahamas?” The 23 year old asked as she settled into a sit on the chair arm.


Reid shrugged, reaching to take the container of filet and noodles along with his chopsticks, “Yesterday I think. She said Jules was anxious to get back to work so she bailed on their last relaxation day to go to band practice; Tulls decided to pop in and when I mentioned you were stopping by she stuck around to say hello.” Seeing the mixture of beef and mushrooms the young man smiled, clearly pleased by his dinner. “I bet I could talk her into a harem … though I don’t think Julia would like that much.” Reid smirked and received an abrupt elbow to his rib cage.


After a few last words Tulley hung up and sighed, “Oi she let me have it for not coming to visit instead of the Bahama trip. I’ll never hear the end of it I swear … Hey Izzy, long time no see!” Dropping off of her complaints into a cheery greeting the restaurateur grinned happily. “You look lovely as always, and …” She trailed off, shooting a harsh look to Reid, “If he keeps teasing about it I might just steal you to be my maid instead of you sticking it out over at his place.”


Reid glared, however before he could open his mouth Isabella stepped in with a laugh. “I’m afraid I owe him I bit so I’d have to decline. I’ll gladly come by to see you two any time though! I’m Julia wouldn’t mind me having a sleep over either.” As if something caused her to remember a light bulb switched in her brain and instantly the journalist clapped her hands together, “Why don’t you two come over this weekend!? We’re having a get together with Haalen and Reina so the more the merrier " plus I know they’d both love to see you guys since you’ve returned.” Tulley lit up at this a nodded in approval, “I’ll let Jules know tonight so you can count us in. I’ll even bring some of my special brew that you two like so!”


Reid looked up at this, clearly satisfied by the penance gift he’d been offered for such a comment as he’d had to endure earlier. “Bring like four cases and we’ll accept it and forgive you for not taking us to the beach with you … and threatening to take my home entertainment system.” He gave Isabella a small jostle at this last statement which caused the capped woman to laugh heartily. Tulley nodded, being cut off before she could open her mouth by a Korean artist singing to alert her of a phone call. “That would be Jules. I’ll see you two this weekend!” Giving the two a wave she answered with a cheerful, “Hi sweetheart!” and started out the large soundproof door towards the exit of the building.


Isabella sighed, forgetting she was still sitting atop the chair arm. “How did your meeting go today?”

 

Reid chewed with a shrug before glancing up with curious gray eyes, “Did Panda cut your pay?” He was straight and to the point, as he’d already had a heavy conversation with the man about the questioned offense. In short he was planning to raise a fuss if her pay was docked over something as silly as a nickname, especially one that he’d given the older gentleman. Isabella stared a moment, mildly confused and intrigued by the question of choice, “Not that I’m aware of, why?” The male ignored the question and nodded before adding, “The meeting went well. I scored a big deal and I think the duo I’ll be working with are going to do well.”


“So you’ll be working late the next few days then, right?”


“Yeah, probably till around 2 am or more. I’ll try and get home early on Friday seeing as how we have plans, but I may have to bring the scrubs with me. They’re from another city and don’t know anything about good food around here. I promised I’d take them out to Tulley’s bar tomorrow for lunch.” Reid had taken the questions and responses in stride, commenting between chews and without thinking came to rest his elbow on the young woman’s lap. Izzy, likewise, had been looking over the stack of papers on his usual clutter free work station with interest. The journalist in her was starting to flare up and she was getting a bit of an itch to snoop in his affairs … “Hey, Reid?”


Apparently he knew exactly what she was eyeing and what she was to ask for he smirked playfully and wiggled his finger much like an older brother, “Remember what happened to Alice when she got too curious with a rabbit hole, ya?” In response the brunette frowned and stuck out her tongue before standing and wandering over to the mini fridge that was tucked in a corner. Watching the producer laughed, finishing off his last bite of food before tossing it towards a trashcan and making it in one try. “I’ll let you know when they’re ready to premier. You can cover it and everything, deal?”


“I’ll hold you to it.” Her tongue was sly, eyes narrowed in a look that one would think she’d stolen from the male she was teasing. Isabella snagged a wine cooler and a beer from the fridge before closing it and popping the two bottles open with the bottle opener hanging beside the contraption. Standing she wandered back to her roommate and placed the beer bottle in his waiting hand before heading in a bee line towards the couch. Reid watched, brows knit as if he were worrying over something, “I’ve never told you a lie before " right?” He stood and wandered over to the couch as well, drinking half of his beverage between his chair and the other seating in the room.


“No, you haven’t.” Izzy laughed, letting the 26 year old flop down beside her with a contented smile before taking another sip of her wine cooler. Reid yawned, finishing another fourth of the brew before reaching out to set the bottle atop the coffee table, “Did you finish that article you’ve been slacking on?” He caught the nod of approval from his couch mate from the corner of his eye, “Good.” He seemed to be mulling over something, an observation that was mirrored by his hand running through his hair nervously. “Hey … I’m sorry about last night.”

Instantly the 23 year old choked on her drink, and set the bottle down in a hurry so she wouldn’t drop it. What? Had that man, Reid f*****g Fitzgerald just apologized to her for flirting with another woman? “Are you shitting me, Reid?” Green eyes wide she found herself watching him in disbelief, “Really?”


“It threw my game off by flirting in front of you, plus it was a bit rude to you too I supposed.” Laughing the blackette turned on his bottom and leaned back with a stretch and a groan … right into the young woman’s lap he was teasing. “After all I certainly can’t expect to score while they think I’m taking out my kid sister, ya?” Without another word he laughed and winked playfully, sticking his tongue out to better annoy her.

In response Isabella hissed, partially tempted to throw his a*s off and into the floor but thinking better of it. Instead she settled for flicking his nose, rather hard, and letting out a huffed breath, “Oh what shall you do. Heaven forbid you fail to talk up a woman because your little sister is there watching, on her birthday no less!” He clearly was ignoring her for he’d folded his hands behind his head on her legs and closed his eyes as if planning to either nap or spend the rest of the night just as he was. Yet again, she was tempted to push his smug a*s off and into the very table that was holding his unfinished beer.


“Nah, she thought I was sleazy for hitting on her in front of my girlfriend. I laughed my a*s off at her and told her to leave in the end.”


Isabella stared, a mixture of shock and humor crossing her face all at once. Not only was she surprised that he’d even allowed such a thing to slip his mouth, especially concerning her, but it was entertaining that the woman thought she was that to him. That waitress had to have been off her rocker for that. “She had to have been smoking something. Did she even realize who you were?” Laughing the set of greens had wandered down towards the young man, watching his face a moment … his features had softened as well as his breathing. Wait … had Reid fallen asleep on her that quickly? She waited a moment, listening to see if he was indeed in dream land before asking softly, “Are you sleeping?”


Reid shifted lightly before speaking breathy, clearly in the state of purgatory between REM sleep and reality, “Shut up.” His words faded, barely more than a whisper as he nestled his face into the crevice between his arm and the woman’s torso.


Sighing with mild irritation the green eyes softened despite themselves, watching as the 26 year old’s breathing evened out and his face took on the look of a dreaming boy. He looked peaceful, and his usually furrowed brows were eased as if he were dreaming of joyful things. “What am I going to do, sit here all night, idiot?” The words were whispered, and she’d found herself brushing a few stray bangs away from her companion’s nose with an amused smile. “It’s alright … I’m sorry for storming out.” Part of her wanted to say something more, something along the lines of scolding him as well as herself as she settled into the nook of the couch’s arm and leaned her head back to rest it upon the back cushion.


She’d tease him more tomorrow and let him sleep for now.



© 2015 kpie


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

108 Views
Added on September 2, 2015
Last Updated on September 2, 2015
Tags: life, love, romance, friendship, hurt, conflict, daily life, thought, music, creative, trial, daily


Author

kpie
kpie

SC



About
Well, now I am grown And these days have shown Rain's a part, of how life goes But it's dark and it's late So I'll hold you and wait 'til your frightened eyes do close ; k . p i e :23 years; .. more..

Writing
Stage 01 Stage 01

A Chapter by kpie


Stage 02 Stage 02

A Chapter by kpie


Stage 03 Stage 03

A Chapter by kpie