Two

Two

A Chapter by M. K. Madison

As soon as we checked into the hotel, us girls ran into our room to change so we could go to the beach, the boys would share a room separate to ours. We had unattached our boards and laid them on one wall of our hotel room.  Now, we were changed and stepping onto the sandy beach in Crescent City, California. With my board tucked underneath my right arm like everyone else, we make our way towards the water.
You guys ready to check out the waves? Brody asks as he and Adrian walk up to us. All of us nod and make our way in the water together.
We probably surfed for more five hours, well by we I mean them, I sat on the sidelines and cheered everyone on. We planned on staying another day, but as my friends were surfing, I wanted to check out a local book store.
Walking across the square, I make it to the small bookstore where rows and rows of books sit untouched. Books are the one thing I can use to escape my troubles at home, besides hanging with my friends in the water. Maybe if I looked around here, I would clear my mind if surfing and my dad and go somewhere other than here.
Hi, I sat as I walk over to the front desk. A teenager, who looks my age, and might I add is the hottest dude I have ever seen, looks back at me. Keep it together Alana. I was wondering if you had any Young Adult Fiction.
He nods, Yes, back shelf to the left. His emerald eyes find my blue ones and I nearly choke, what is going on with me.
Thanks. I hold onto the s as I look for a name tag, there is none.
Emmett. He says, noticing what Im doing and smiles politely.
Thanks again, Emmett. I reply, feeling like I could fall right here from total stupidity.
Why am I reacting this way? Hes just a boy. A very hot boy. The tiny voice in the back of my mind says and I shake my head at myself for even thinking that. I walk over to the shelves following Emmetts direction. In the back of the shop, a shelf full of tons of YA Fiction novels look back at me. I pick out three that interest me, and walk back to the counter where Emmett waits.
So, He starts, taking the books from my hands and ringing them up in the machine. Where are you from.
Brookings, Oregon. My friends and I are driving down the coast for a surfing safari.
That's cool, believe it or not, Im not much of a surfer, well I was.
Same for me, I just sit in the water on my board. You should join us, well only be staying until Wednesday, then well have to head down.
He smiles down at me, Id like that.
Grabbing the money out of my pocket, I pay for the books and Emmett hands me a bag full of the books. I grab my phone out of my pocket and hit contacts, Just in case you want to join you can call me.
Emmett takes my phone in his hands and proceeds to enter his number. Then when he is done he writes mine on a separate piece of paper and sticks it in his pocket. I wave to him, grab my phone and exit the shop towards our hotel room.
Everyone was gone, except for Sage, who was crying hysterically on our shared hotel bed. I run over to her but she doesn't notice me. I wonder what's wrong.
Sage, are you ok? She looks up, her mascara and eyeliner running down her face as we lip quivers.
 No, Im not okay She mumbles and begins to cry again.
Well, um, can you please tell me why you're crying. Maybe I could help.
She takes a breath, and looks over at me. I never told any of you this, but, I just found out I have cancer. In my arm. And in order for me to get treatment, I have to get it cut off. My eyes widen, I knew there was something off about Daves behavior lately. But I didn't know it was this bad.
I-Im here for you Sage.
Can you keep this a secret until I can tell my parents and the gang. She wipes her tear stained face, but the makeup just smears.
I am tempted to ask Sage why she hasn't told her parents, but I know the reason, she wants to keep surfing and she wants to stay with us as long as she can without freaking us out. She doesn't want anyone worrying.
How about I help fix your make up and you take a break from surfing. I suggest, helping Sage off the bed. We could always go sightseeing.
She gives me a weak smile, Id like that.
After fixing Sages make up, we exit the hotel. I decide to ask Emmett if he would like to show us around if he is off from work. Dialing his number, my phone starts to ring in my ear.
Hello? His voice rings through the speaker.
Hey Emmett, this is Alana, from the bookshop. My friend, Sage, and I wanted to know if you could show us around Crescent City.
He is silent for a while, I get off in a few minutes. You can head over to the shop as I close up and we could head down to Battery Point Lighthouse.
Ok, I say, Well meet you there. I end the call and Sage looks over at me with a raised eyebrow.
Who is Emmett and why didn't you tell me about him? She places her hands on her hips and I roll my eyes at her.
We just met Sage. I say, We met at a bookstore.
Well, is he hot?
Sage! I shriek.
She smiles, He is isn't he. Oh Ala, you're finally growing up.
What is that supposed to mean? I ask, raising an eyebrow at my best friend. We aren't dating, I barely know him.
But you're inviting him to show us around. She comments.
She has me speechless, Hes the only one I can think of who knows something about this town.
You know, there is Google for a reason.
Id rather have a guide in person thank you very much.
She snorts, Whatever you say. I still think you have a crush on him.
I shake my head at her, I do not. But my face gives everything away. She laughs as we walk through town towards the bookstore.
*
Five minutes after getting to the book shop, Emmett comes out of the shop, when he sees me he smiles and waves. I wave back and we enter his red jeep. Sage introduces herself next to me, as we are sitting in the back seat. Having Emmett be our chaperone for the afternoon.
As we pass various shops and businesses, Emmett tells us about them and their history as we make it to the lighthouse. Water splashes up on the rocks around the lighthouse and Emmett parks his jeep in the parking lot. All three of us unbuckle and exit the air-conditioned vehicle and out to the hundred degree weather, which, might I add felt like it was eighty.
Sadness creeps over me as I look out at the sea, but it soon is taken over as I watch the waves form and fall in a heap of white water. A shiver falls down my back and I shake it off, walking with Sage and Emmett as they enter the lighthouse.
A tour guide smiles up at us with perfectly white teeth. Her black raven winged hair is pulled into a very tight bun at the back of her head. She hands us a pamphlet about the lighthouse to Emmett who hands it over to Sage. She reaches for the paper but then flinches. I look over at her concerned and her skin begins to pale.
Sage, are you ok? I ask and Emmett turns around.
I feel like Im going to puke.
There is a bathroom in the next room. The tour guide says, entering the conversation.
Thank you. I tell her and lead Sage towards the restroom.
As soon as we enter, Sage runs to the toilet and pukes. But her puke doesn't look like what you would expect. It isn't food; It's blood.


© 2017 M. K. Madison


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

227 Views
Added on May 30, 2017
Last Updated on May 30, 2017
Tags: mermaid, love, merman, friends, ocean, surf


Author

M. K. Madison
M. K. Madison

Writing
One One

A Chapter by M. K. Madison


Three Three

A Chapter by M. K. Madison