Maisy's Loss

Maisy's Loss

A Story by Alicia™
"

Caisa whispered those words into her young daughter's ears with her last and final breath.

"

 The truck in front of them lost control, and suddenly, the body of it was heading their way. Caisa Stone flung herself across into the seat beside her to cover and protect her 3 year old daughter – Maisy. She did it just a split second before the body of the trailer twisted their way and smashed into them.

 
“Never be… afraid… of what comes… your way.”
 
Caisa whispered those words into her young daughter’s ears with her last and final breath. With a final thud, her heart gave way.
 
The last thing little Maisy saw was her mother’s curly brown locks matted with thick red blood.
 
---
 
“Maisy? Maisy? Honey, are you awake?”
 
Maisy’s vision was blurred, then after a few blinks she saw the face that hovered above her. It was her Aunt Julia.
 
“Dr. McHale? She’s awake!”
 
What was going on? There were strange tubes in her hand… And he head hurt. Ow. There was a bandage wrapped around her head.
 
“Where’s my mommy?”
 
Maisy remembered little, but she recalled being with her mom last.
 
“Honey… your mommy fell asleep. And she isn’t going to wake up.”
 
Maisy’s baby blue eyes filled up with tears as she realized what Aunt Julia had meant. Her mommy wasn’t coming back! Her last words echoed in her brain. ‘Never be afraid of whatever comes your way”. She was only 3, and in a state of trauma, but she remembered the silky smooth voice in her head with exact precision.
 
“W-wh-where’s E-Ethan?”
“I’m here.”
 
A shy little boy entered the room and walked to Maisy’s bed. He was her best friend, her partner in crime. Maisy pulled herself up and bent her head down, burying her face into his soft coal-black hair. She felt his little hand take hold of her own chubby one and let the warmth bounce of him and into her.
 
Then, a man walked in. He was wearing a white… coat? And he had something hanging around his neck. She’d seen it before; it was called a… stethy? Stetocope? Something like that. It was a cold, hard thing.
 
“Hi Maisy. I’m Dr. McHale.”
 
The big man stood beside Michael, and placed his big glove of a hand on the boy’s shoulders.
 
“I’m sorry, but you’re going to have to leave.”
 
Maisy watched in despair as he escorted her best buddy and her beloved Aunt Julia out the door. The man – Dr. McHale? – came and sat in the chair that Mi had been sitting in before.
 
“How are you feeling, honey?”
“My head hurts! And I want my papa now!”
 
Maisy whined, her little hand reaching up to touch the big thing sitting on her head.
 
“Oww and this tube thing hurts!”
 
She looked sadly at the IV in her hand.
 
“I know sweetie. I’m so sorry. The pain in your head will go away soon. Your papa… he won’t see you today, ok?”
“But-“
 
She tried to protest, but Dr. McHale was already gone.
 
---
 
Little Maisy bounced on her hospital bed as she waited for the doctor to come tell her she could go home. It was three days after the accident, and she was beyond sick and tired of the stale hospital air and never being allowed to go out to play.
 
“Maisy, sweetie, sit back down. You’re going to hurt yourself, and you don’t want to stay here longer, right?”
 
At the sound of her Aunt Julia’s voice, she abruptly stopped and sat still. Wasn’t her dad supposed to come? Why was Aunt Julia here? Where was her dad?
 
“Where’s my dad?”
“He… he won’t be coming to pick you up. You’ll come and stay with me and Ethan, ok hun?”
“Ok…”
 
Her good mood was dashed as she realized that her dad wasn’t coming to fetch her. Great, she’d lost her mom already, and now her dad didn’t want to see her? Great. Just plain great.
 
“Maisy!”
“Ethan? Ethan!”
 
A smile lit up her little face when she saw her best friend standing meekly behind his mother. Her dimples deepened as her grin grew wider, stretching from her left to her right cheek.
 
“Ethan!!”
 
Maisy ran to her friend and completely smothered him in a bear hug. Her floppy blonde hair splashed over his shoulder as he returned the embrace.
 
“I missed you Maisy.”
“Me missed Ethan too.”
 
They broke apart when they heard the doorknob turn.
 
“Maisy?”
 
She looked up with her big shining baby blue eyes. The doctor was standing at the door.
 
“Are you ready to leave?”
“Yes I am!!”
 
She was still grinning wider than possible by now.
 
 
“Come here, sweetie, I’ll take your tag off and you can go, ok?”
 
Nodding ecstatically she lifted her wrist up to Dr. McHale. He clipped the little hospital wristband off and stuffed it into his pocket.
 
“Can I go now?”
“Of course!”
 
She grabbed Ethan’s hand and dragged him out of the door.
 
“C’mon Eth! Hurry up!”
 
 

© 2009 Alicia™


Author's Note

Alicia™
I wrote this a long time ago, so it's probably a long way off most of my other pieces.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Awwwww sad and lovely poem

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!
So cute :D
Yet so sad :l

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

212 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 30, 2009
Last Updated on September 30, 2009

Author

Alicia™
Alicia™

Where dreamers reside



About
Hello, everyone! I don't think I really need to say my name, but I love getting to know people, so feel free to leave me a message. One thing though: please don't send me read requests for books or.. more..

Writing
Galaxy Galaxy

A Poem by Alicia™


Beyond You Beyond You

A Poem by Alicia™