Things that matter

Things that matter

A Story by Anushree
"

Its a very short story about a girl an a boy. Read to find out more

"

We fought, we laughed, we swore, we danced, we hit the town together. But we were only friends. I wanted to be more. I wanted him to know. So one day, I wore a sexy little black dress on a summer evening. He was bedazzled. I looked charming. But I wanted more. I wanted him to admire me more. So I spoke softly, sweetly. I did not swear. But he did. A lot of times. I was conscious. I had a reason. Did he too? Maybe he thought he needed a change of style ? Or maybe not. I liked him the way he was. But why did I take extra care to dress up? Did I doubt myself? I didn't want to think. For the coming few days I kept dressing well. I spoke softly, sweetly. I did not swear. But he did. Though noticeably lesser than before. I wore a pink tulle skirt with a white t shirt. I looked girly, I looked cute. But his expression was not as I hoped it would be. He walked and talked little. I tried talking softly, sweetly. But I did not swear. Today he did not swear either. What was wrong? I looked hot, I was in style. So why did it fail to attract him? I wondered, I wondered even more.

The next day I broke down, I cried and I looked into the mirror. I am beautiful, am I not? I asked myself. I saw my reflection. It seemed to say, you were beautiful, once. Now you are a doll. To that I replied, but a doll is pretty.The mirror retorted, but its not alive! I cried and begged. I didn't want to be a doll. But will he love the one who is not a doll? The reflection in the mirror smiled and chuckled. It said, maybe he already did. I washed away my makeup. Wore my normal tee and shorts. Then waited for the time to meet. He came looking gloomy. But I swore and spoke normally. He swore and replied normally. We were both unconscious. We both declared our love for each other. We were happy. Forever.






























© 2016 Anushree


Author's Note

Anushree
AN ATTEMPT TO PROSE POETRY!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hey! I really enjoyed this piece, I'm a sucker for anything with a romantic theme so this was right up my street! I loved the imagery about the doll and the breaking down in front of the mirror; that was very poignant.

However, if I could offer some suggestions for improvements. I feel as though this would work better as a longer piece, so for example I would consider extending the scenes so you describe what you did when you went out to town. Though I liked the lack of dialogue, I think this piece would work better with maybe some dialogue from the boy, just so the audience can get to grips with his character. Don't take any of these suggestions as a necessesity, only implement them if you think it'll work with what you're trying to say :)

I liked the realisation that the character came to, that she didn't need to change herself for the boy to like her, and her realisation at the end of the piece really tied it all together because she could then revert to who she used to be.

Anyway, keep up the good work, I really enjoyed this!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Asya Kardzhaliyska

7 Years Ago

I can understand that, if you feel that the piece is better without any dialogue then that's fair en.. read more
Anushree

7 Years Ago

Well that's a great idea. A monologue. I will try coming up with one in the near future. Thanks!
Asya Kardzhaliyska

7 Years Ago

You're very welcome! :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

91 Views
1 Review
Added on November 28, 2016
Last Updated on November 28, 2016
Tags: short story, young, love, friendship

Author

Anushree
Anushree

Gurgaon, Haryana, India



About
I am a young girl from India fond of writing. I am at this place so that i can share my thoughts and ideas with people who appreciate the written correspondence. more..

Writing