Dark Days

Dark Days

A Story by Silas

I used to love this time of year, now every time it comes around I die.

--------------------------------------------------------------

It started two years ago when the plague first broke out. No one noticed any thing at first, but I did. I was a silent watcher when I was young, now I'm the only one left. There is no one else like me, that can see the small details day by day. Even with this gift I struggled to see why these people were dieing the way they were, but finally I noticed a pattern.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I watched silently through my window, the streets almost deserted and the few people that dared to walk in the street, stuck to the shadows.

 

There was a tap on my shoulder and the sunken face of my younger brother appeared. His eye's were red with tears and he wouldn't look me in the face. "She... She is gone..." his lips barely moved and a tear streaked down his cheek.

 

My ears twitched, "Is she still there or did you throw her out with the others?"

 

"She is still there... I couldn't gather myself to put her with them," his eye's meet mine, "she deserves better."

 

I nodded my head and walked soullessly to her room. She was beautiful when she was alive, but as the plague quickly took her, she lost every touch of her flawless body. I shuffled her under my arms and carried her to the burning room, I didn't want to but I knew it must be done. Her black eye's stared lifelessly into mine and I shuddered. All the victims eye's were black by the time of the final blow.

 

With a last kiss goodbye I threw our mother to the fire with our two sisters and father, also taken by the plague. I closed the door and felt Lil Jait standing behind me. "Did you do it..." his breath like a faint wind that never began.

 

"Yes." I spoke firmly, I had to be strong for him, we only had each other now. He walked away depressed and gathered his things from the living room.

 

"We have to stop this Kahh." when he says my name it feels like a fresh cut to my dead soul, he hasn't said my name for three years, and it sounds weird being said at this time. "You have to try."

 

"No Jait. I don't. If we go out there, I will die. They want me dead, but as long as I stay here, they can't touch me."

 

"Then I will go." his face was hard and I know his mind was made. I nodded my head and he opened the door.

 

Instantly cold air rushed into the small room, thrashing our stuff around, then it died. He glanced back at me one last time and the out side world engulfed him and he was gone. I walked to the window and watched his body float through the air, the terror on his face a fresh reminder of the enemy out there. In a flash his eyes turned black and the blood left his body, leaving him pale and dead in the street. My eyes closed, replaying what just happened. He was so young... Only 12 and now he was gone... I couldn't save him from becoming the enemy like I had our mother, because he was outside...

 

The enemy dwells within us all... Slowly taking over our minds and souls until it drives you out side where it kills you. It had infested in Jait when his sister died, he had been to close, and the plague entered him. I didn't tell him, I couldn't... He would have asked to die, and I would not kill him. I swore to Mother I wouldn't. That was her dieing wish...

 

I looked back to the window and saw a young girl sitting at my door step her eyes open, cheeks rosy, full of life. She wasn't infested yet. She glances up and catches my eye, there is a big smile and she knocks quietly on the door. Something draws me to her and I let her in.

 

"Oh thank you!" she exclaimed and rushed in. "My names Luy, what's yours?"

 

"I'm Kahh, what are you doing here." I demanded shaking myself from the trance.

 

"I'm here upon request. By the mayor." she added quickly. The mayor... What does he want... I nodded my head.

 

"Are you here to stay?"

 

"Yes. This is a permanent transfer."

 

"Then you will have to get to know me." we both sat down and I began my story.

-----------------------------------------------------

 

"I see..." she whispered as the coldness of reality slowly fell over us both.

 

I nodded, I had never been one to talk.

 

"And the rest of your family... Where are they?" her eyes cast down, and her fingers twirled around in her little brown curls, she looked just like Suki when she was young.

 

"Come, I'll show you their ashes, all except Lil Jait, the enemy got him just minutes before you came." I got up and led her away down the hall-way to the other side of the house. The temperature gently raised and we both new the burning room was behind the black door with the silver nob.

 

I opened the door for her and she stepped inside, the fire was low and licked hungrily at our feet wishing for fresh blood. "Good.  You have done well. How much food do you have left?"

 

"We have a green house in this room, and now with out Lil Jait, I have about 20 years left, splitting between us at just enough to keep us over, about 16 years."

 

She moved her head slightly and motioned we go else where, "I don't like it right here... Tastes like death."

 

I smiled, she might not be to big of a problem. "Will you be sleeping in the living room or do you want a room to your self? If so, there is four open rooms to choose from, one down here, and three upstairs." I waved my hands towards the stairs and watched her take her stuff up to the second floor. "You should go to bed, we've had a long day." I shouted and began up the stairs myself.

 

"Kay." she murmured and swept into her room.

 

I sat down on my bed and stared at the ceiling, the fading graffiti from me and my friends when they were alive. Why did this happen... Just out of the blue this monster took over and ruined our lives... I rolled over to my side and kissed the picture frame that held the last piece of my old life, with my family...

 

Father was tall, a protective look on his face, he never smiled. My Mother, her eyes bright, a care free look on her face, and her gorges smile. My twin sisters only three in the picture, Diu was glaring at Shlo, but both were giggling. Lil Jait, his sad face drawn with pain, he, sort of like our father, was never happy. His  best friend was killed the day before in a surprise war, leaving his eyes red. And then me... Tall and mysterious, I was skinny and my arms hung loosely at my sides, a forced smile on my face, my eyes dark and scary. I was the only one in the family with black hair and green eyes. Only one.

 

I held back my tears and closed my eyes, it was like this every night... But soon I was granted the blessing of sleep, and fell into a hopeless dream.

 

-----------------------------------------------

 

When I opened my eyes to the pale room I knew something had gone terribly wrong, there were no bells this morning.

 

The rest are dead.

 

Me and Luy were the last two.

 

I jumped out of my bed, quickly throwing on some jeans and a shirt, then ran to the bedroom she had chosen. She was fast asleep, her eye lids shut tight and her breathing even. I shook her, "Wake up Luy!" I whisper yelled.

 

I looked around quickly when she didn't awake, feeling the enemy surrounding my home, my only safety. They found me.

 

My mind races as I run back to my room, grabbing the picture frame and shoving it into a bag along with what little I owned and would need to escape. My ears twitch and I hear Luy awaking in the other room. She knows something is wrong too.

 

"Kahh!" she screeches, her voice panicked. "They're here." she hisses as she walks into my room.

 

I nod my head, not surprised by her awareness, and start to draw a circle on the floor.

 

"You know of the secret ways?" her eyes widen.

 

"Yes." I whisper, "Get in the circle quick, this will only work once here." She did as I said, I whispered the words in old tongue, closed my eyes and looked up.

 

A swirling wind picked up around us, the enemy braking in and flowing up stairs. Lighting cracked, Luy screamed and then the world disappeared, leaving us in a ever lasting darkness. We don't leave the circle, or we will die. Then there's light again and we're in a bright grassy field in the middle of no where.

 

Luy's arms are wrapped tightly around my waist, crushing me. I laugh a little, "It's alright, we're safe now."

 

She peeked open her eyes, and gasped. "It's beautiful..."

 

"I know." I step out of the circle, and lay in the warm grass. For once I felt relaxed.

© 2013 Silas


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

i really like this story. it's well thought out and very well planned. very mature


Posted 10 Years Ago


Silas, this one is your most mature work. You have exposition and plot and there aren't any cheesy or cliche lines. Very sublime.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Silas

11 Years Ago

Thanks Mr. Costea!
I really like this one of mine, I wrote it in 6th grade and I was so proud I showed all my teachers which hated it. I'd really appreciate any ones thoughts on it, and if you think I should change parts of it, Just tell me and I will! As for the names, I like to give my characters Indian and Japanese names. :D Enjoy!

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

252 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 20, 2013
Last Updated on February 20, 2013
Tags: Different

Author

Silas
Silas

Citrus Heights, CA



About
I go by several names. more..

Writing
________ ________

A Poem by Silas