Chapter 5

Chapter 5

A Chapter by Elina
"

Edileth awakes from her fever and faces her own doubts. A new member arrives, and Edileth struggles with her patience.

"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter Five

 

It was much too warm; the heat stifling. A great weight seemed to lie across Edileth’s body. She struggled to open her eyes, to see what was crushing her. A small, pained moan rose in her throat.

There was a rocky sort of ceiling far above. Where was she?

A sudden vision of Yena came to mind. Had she dreamt it? Or was she truly with the matronly rothnak? She tried to lift her head, but it felt as though it had been tied down. No matter how hard she struggled, she couldn’t seem to raise her head.

At last, she gave in. She tilted her head to the left. It took her eyes a moment to focus on the body lying beside her. It was Joenek. Confusion knitted her brow. Perhaps she hadn’t seen Yena, after all. She studied Joenek for a moment further.

He was lying quite near to her. His face was relaxed, save for the slightest downturn of his mouth. He twitched slightly, and his hand came up to rub his nose. A sleepy sort of sigh escaped his lungs and he relaxed again.

Edileth then tilted her head in the opposite direction. Joy filled her heart at the sight of Yena sleeping beside her. She hadn’t dreamed it. The weary rothnak sighed contentedly.

Now, if I could only sit up and get this infernal weight off my chest. She thought. She mustered up what strength she had and shifted her body a bit. Whatever it was that covered her stayed in place. Beside her, Yena stirred. The older elf gave a sharp sniff, as if she were waking up suddenly.

A slightly bewildered look crossed her face, and then she looked to Edileth. Yena sat up and felt the younger rothnak’s forehead. She smiled tiredly, looking down at Edileth with tenderness.

 “You’ll be right as rain in a few days, no doubt.” She chuckled slightly. “Are you warm, dear?”

An awful croak grated from Edileth’s mouth as she attempted to answer. Yena chortled and patted the thirsty woman’s hand.

“I’ll take that as a ‘yes.’ Here, let me take some of these covers off.” She proceeded to do just that, leaving one blanket over Edileth for modesty’s sake. With the removal of the blankets the weight which had born down on Edileth seemed to lift. She cleared her throat and attempted to thank Yena. Her voice sounded no better than it had the first time.

“Hush, dear.” The russet-haired elf instructed her. “I shall get some water for you.”

Edileth closed her eyes and listened as Yena moved. In a short moment, the elder elf was back beside her. She began to lift Edileth into her arms, allowing her to sit up.

 “Here you go.” She lifted the water skin to Edileth’s dry, cracked lips.

The cool water slid down her throat, like a bit of heaven washing over her thick, dry tongue. She gulped the water hungrily, not wanting to stop until she was full of the divine liquid.

 “Whoa, now,” Yena chortled. “Not all at once. We don’t need you drowning.”

Edileth finally took a breath. She smiled sheepishly.

 “Sorry.” She croaked. “I couldn’t seem to help myself.”

 “It’s all right, darling.” Yena brushed away some strands of hair that had clung to Edileth’s face. “Now, how about we work on getting a little food in that belly of yours?”

Yena gently lay Edileth back down and moved to rouse Joenek. He woke with a start, as the elder elf placed her hand upon his shoulder and quietly spoke his name. She waited for him to wake up a bit, and then asked him to help her move Edileth. He stretched some and answered that he would, covering a yawn with his hand.

He began leaning over Edileth and then looked to Yena.

 “Er…how…that is, um…” His face reddened. Edileth wondered what had come over him. Yena seemed to know and she grinned, suppressing laughter.

“Just scoop her up. There’s bedding beneath her; you’ll be fine.”

Edileth thought she understood, then. She felt her face warm in humiliation.

This is just wonderful. She groaned inwardly. I’m probably half naked, and he’s just going to ‘scoop’ me up? This is going to be a disaster.

Tentatively, Joenek leaned over and wiggled his hands under the bedding. His face was still reddened, and he avoided eye contact with Edileth. He did glance at her for the briefest moment and she saw a look of apology in his eyes. However, he quickly ducked his head again and focused on the floor.

At last, he began to lift her from the ground. Yena darted over and helped Edileth hold her head up a bit. She then nodded her head in the direction of one of the corners of their little niche. They slowly made their way to it.

Once there, Joenek laid Edileth down with the utmost care. He held her in a sitting position while Yena arranged a folded blanket for padding over a gently sloped portion of rubble. She then moved aside so Joenek could lean Edileth back. From her new position, Edileth could sit up without needing to do so on her own. She felt ridiculous.

I can’t even sit up on my own. I hope no one else arrives until I can stand and walk without need of assistance. She imagined how humiliating it would be to have everyone see her looking so helpless. I don’t mind Yena being here. In fact, I’m terribly glad she is. But it’s bad enough that Joenek should see me like this; I certainly don’t want the others to witness this degrading condition. They would never take me seriously.

Yena then proceeded to shoo Joenek away.

 “Scoot, mister.” She said almost teasingly. “Why don’t you go bathe or something? There’s a natural hot spring on the opposite side of the town. It’s the largest tunnel on the North wall and goes straight to the “baths,” so you needn’t worry about getting lost.”

Edileth smiled as Joenek looked down at himself. Apparently, Yena was hinting that he needed to do something about his grungy, unkempt appearance. He grumbled something under his breath and impetuously snatched his pack from the floor. He then left their alcove, still quibbling, and made his way to the opposite side of the large, main cavern.

 “I thought you might enjoy some privacy. I need to check on your wounds, and re-bandage them while the food cooks.”

“Thank you.” Edileth stated rather simply. Yena knew her so well. She must know how desperately the young rothnak wanted her weakness to go un-witnessed. On top of that, Edileth needed some answers from Yena, and she needed time to think some things over.

“Of course, dear.” Yena smiled, moving back to Edileth’s side. She had some fresh strips of fabric draped over her left arm and held an herbal concoction in her other hand. “Now, let’s see what those wounds look like.”

Yena pulled the blanket down, revealing Edileth’s thin frame. The younger rothnak glanced down, noting that she now wore a chemise, of sorts. It was loose, both in material and fit �" being practically see-through compared to the somewhat thick and very durable material Edileth was used to wearing. Barely reaching mid-thigh, the entire length of the chemise �" perfectly fine when worn beneath an actual dress �" was shockingly immodest.

“I am sorry for your indecent attire.” Yena chuckled as she saw the look on Edileth’s face. “But I needed to be able to tend your wounds easily. And I kept your, ahem, indecency hidden from Joenek.” She winked and smiled reassuringly.  Edileth shifted uncomfortably at the mention of the roth. She kept remembering something from her time in and out of reality. And she wasn’t entirely sure if it was one of her strange visions…or not.

Yena placed her things down and then proceeded to sit Edileth up so she could unbutton the back of the chemise. Edileth shivered as she felt the gossamer fabric glide across her bare arms and down her back. Most of her torso was loosely wrapped with linen, but she still felt completely exposed.

She was then allowed to lean back against the stone. Yena worked quietly and quickly, removing bandages, cleaning the gashes, putting fresh herbal paste on them, and wrapping everything again with the fresh cloth. Before she had wrapped Edileth’s wounds, the healer had checked the cracked left rib. Edileth winced in pain, but resisted crying out.

 “Now that that’s finished, let’s get a bit of food in your stomach.”

Edileth watched as Yena moved toward the center of the “room” and filled a small bowl with some sort of broth. She then returned to Edileth and looked at her with a questioning gaze.

She wants to know if I can handle feeding myself. Edileth thought in frustration. Well, I don’t care how difficult it may be; I will not allow myself to be fed like an infant!

She jutted her hand out; or at least, attempted to. Instead her hand lifted sluggishly and sort of flopped across her lap. Edileth’s lips pinched together in agitation and a growl rumbled in her chest.

“Here,” Yena began, sympathetically, “let me just set it in your lap.”

From there Edileth could shakily spoon the thin liquid from the bowl and lift it to her lips. Even this simple action was taxing, which agitated the tired rothnak all the more.

“What’s wrong with me?” She asked Yena, an accusing tone in her voice. She knew it was not the elder rothnak’s fault, but Edileth couldn’t seem to keep her irritation in check. She heaved a great sigh and apologized. Yena simply gave a knowing smile, un-offended.

“You were poisoned by the blood of the Bekhron and came down with terrible fever.” The elder elf explained. She seemed to hesitate for a moment and continued. “We nearly lost you, dear.”

Edileth’s eyelids briefly fluttered with rapid blinks of surprise.

“Oh.” Her reply was quiet, brooding. She thought she remembered a moment where she had feared she was dying. However, it was hard to accurately recall anything that had occurred in her fevered state.

“You were praying over me, weren’t you?” She asked Yena.

“Yes, of course.” The tender-hearted rothnak paused, looking down. “Joenek was there, as well. I don’t know that he realized it, but I’m sure he was praying for you, too.”

Edileth’s brow furrowed. Why would Yena bring that careless young roth into the conversation? It made Edileth recall that strange moment that she was trying to forget.

At one point, Edileth had felt a presence surrounding her; it had been a warm, glowing orb of loving energy that embraced her still form. She had then had the urge to shake off the layer of sleep which blanketed her mind. She remembered opening her eyes to see Joenek leaning over her, his face very near. Startled, the young rothnak fought against the weight that seemed to crush her whole body, so she could push him away. Joenek hadn’t seemed to notice her watching him; his eyes were transfixed on something else. Looking back, she thought he had been looking at her mouth, but quickly cast that aside.

Why, in Naine Mithale, would he be looking at my mouth? She almost laughed.

At last, she had mustered up the strength to move her arm. Edileth had felt Joenek flinch as her hand had fallen atop his. Then he had looked to her and seemed surprised to see her awake. He had glanced up, then, and spoke. She hadn’t caught what was said; her hearing had been distorted, as though she was under water.

However, a moment later Edileth had seen Yena’s face leaning over her. Then, with an odd clarity, she had heard the words that the healing elf had spoken to her. After that, everything had grown fuzzy and dim and she remembered drifting to sleep, feeling that strange presence again.

Lost in her thoughts, Edileth did not notice Yena watching her carefully. A quiet throat-clearing finally brought the young rothnak out of her musings.

 “Speaking of Joenek,” Yena began quietly, “how did he come to be in your company?”

Edileth was barely able to keep from rolling her eyes. Instead, after her eyes had automatically shot skyward, she forced them closed and took a calming breath.

“After collecting the Orb, Kaen, Thandorin, and I were ambushed by Elaborathin scum.” She paused remembering the incident.

“I had heard tell there were…complications.” Yena hesitated before moving on. “I also heard about Kaen.”

Edileth felt the knot of emotion rise in her throat. Her eyes began welling with tears.

“I’m sorry, my dear. I know you two were good friends.” Yena put a comforting hand upon Edileth’s shoulder and looked at the blonde elf with compassion in her eyes.

“It’s not fair.” Edileth spat out. “Why did Kaen have to die? Why couldn’t it have been Thandorin, instead?”

“Edileth.” Yena’s voice was low, her tone firm. The younger elf had regretted the words as soon as they had slipped from her mouth. And now a part of her more wretched self was revealed to the wise rothnak.

“I’m sorry. I know it’s a beastly thing to say. And I don’t really mean it. It’s only…I didn’t really know him. We had only met a short time before leaving for La’el. I suppose what I meant was that it wouldn’t have been so hard on me if Thandorin had been killed. I would have been saddened, of course, and I would have felt sorrow for his loved ones. But it wouldn’t have been the same as losing a dear friend.”

“I understand, child. But we must never wish death upon any of Feridh’s creation. It is not for us to decide who will live and who will pass on. That choice belongs to Feridh, alone.”

“I know.” Edileth’s reply was hushed. “But I have a difficult time accepting that.”

“Ah, my dear,” Yena cupped Edileth’s cheek in her hand, “the sooner we let go of the illusion of control, the sooner we can learn to fully trust Feridh. It is not easy; it does not come naturally. But it is rewarding, in the end.”

A weary sigh escaped Edileth’s mouth. The healer smiled warmly.

“You shall find your path, my girl. You’re a tender-hearted young rothnak…when you aren’t hiding behind that grumpy façade.” Yena winked and began to teasingly poke at Edileth. The younger elf grinned sheepishly.

“Now I will take that bowl from you. You’ve eaten well, considering.” Edileth watched as Yena took the bowl from her. The weary elf didn’t think she had eaten well, at all. She had barely made it halfway through the broth.

“You still haven’t told me how Joenek became a part of this.” A tone of jest lightly seasoned Yena’s voice.

“Ugh!”

Yena chortled at Edileth’s exasperation.

“After we were approached by the Elaborathin, I was sent through the window of some dingy tavern and became unconscious. Apparently, the Orb had flown in the opposite direction, landing somewhere near Joenek. I awoke a short while later and followed the path of destruction to where he had trapped himself with the Elaborathin.” This time Edileth couldn’t help but roll her eyes. “I helped him defeat the creatures and then…” She puffed up in agitation at the memory. “Can you believe he refused to give me the Gredhe Orb? What sort of idiot…” Edileth stopped her train of thought. She took a deep breath and let her anger dissipate.

“But consider this,” Yena began calmly, “had Joenek not picked up the Gredhe, the Elaborathin would now have it in their possession. Just imagine how complicated our mission would be, then.”

“I know.” Edileth practically pouted. “I just wish it could have been someone less…obnoxious.”

Yena laughed gaily, patting Edileth’s hand.

“He will be good for you.”

Edileth harrumphed. She wasn’t so sure; he seemed like trouble.

“I wonder what’s taken him so long.” Yena mused. “Hopefully he didn’t find his way back to the Burgamsia.” She winked at Edileth with a cheeky sort of grin. Edileth laughed in return, shaking her head as if he was truly lost to them.

“Ah! ‘Twould be a shame, indeed.” She mocked.

“Tut-tut.” Yena teased. “We must send a search party after him, immediately.”

The auburn-haired elf shuffled like some tottering nanny toward the entrance of their niche.

“My little laddie, where in Naine Mithale are you ‘iding?” She hollered. Edileth laughed, wincing from the pain in her side. “Ah! There’s my stout young lad. Been hiding there all this time, ‘ave you?”

She shuffled back into the alcove, towing a befuddled Joenek beside her. Edileth found herself laughing harder, despite the pain the rib caused.

“Don’t worry, missy. I’ve found our wee runaway. ‘Iding right outside the doorstep, ‘e was.” At last Yena could no longer keep her composure. She began laughing quite heartily. She patted Joenek’s shoulder and then, wiping a tear from her eye, apologized.

Joenek looked between the two rothnash. Edileth noticed him looking at her, in particular, with a severe look of confusion, and a hint of curiosity.

“Er…what did I miss?” He asked.

“Nothing, dear.” Yena began. “But after times of great trial and stress, is it not wonderful to laugh?”

A small smile played at the corner of his mouth and he nodded his agreement. Edileth was a bit surprised that he hadn’t joined in on the jesting with Yena. She thought back to their first day of travel, when Joenek had made plenty of jokes. She also remembered when he had made his harsher comments. Edileth could still here his condescending tone.

You are so hopelessly unattractive and none can stand to be near your rotten personality…

Is that truly how others see me? She wondered. She didn’t think herself to be incredibly beautiful; rather plain and ordinary. But she didn’t exactly think she was ugly, as he had made it sound. Joenek’s comment made her doubt, though.

Perhaps I’m not the least bit attractive. And if he thought I was contentious, then surely others must, as well. She grunted to herself. How could anyone love me? Feridh, how do you stand me? I’m no good to you, at all. I’m a failure; a worthless, pointless failure.

Her dismal thoughts were interrupted by Yena’s gentle voice.

“Edileth, dear, why don’t you sleep? I’m sure you’re quite exhausted by now.”

The tired rothnak looked to where Joenek and Yena sat watching her. She must look awful. Nodding slightly, Edileth shifted her weight to find a more comfortable position to lie in. She turned her head away from the light of the fire and the view of the other elves.

Joenek and Yena spoke quietly in the center of the “room.” As much as she wanted to stay awake and listen, Edileth could already feel the heavy cloud of sleep descending upon her. Weary and weighted, her eyes didn’t seem capable of opening. Before long, Edileth’s mind drifted into a dark and dreamless world of sleep.

 

 

Hours later, Edileth awoke from her slumber feeling quite refreshed. Pale, early-morning light casually drifted into the main cavern, brightening the niche. The slight rothnak stretched, releasing a small yawn. Her body was still weary, but she found she could move more freely. Overjoyed at this discovery, Edileth sat up, fully intending to stand, and walk about.

However, Yena was soon by her side.

“Good morning.” She said cheerfully. “‘Tis good to see you looking so well.”

Edileth smiled, hiding her frustration. She wanted nothing more than to stretch her muscles and get back to normalcy. The blonde knew, though, that Yena would not allow it unless she were supervised, to ensure she not over-tax herself.

Yena handed Edileth a small portion of Vaile and a few slices of cheese.

“You can eat that while I finish with your broth.” The healer explained.

The younger rothnak nibbled at the food, realizing that Joenek was not in the alcove.

It’s just as well. She thought. I don’t know if I could stand him giving me such odd looks again.

Before long, Yena had returned with more of her vegetable broth. Edileth trusted Yena’s judgment -- after all, she was a healer -- but she couldn’t help longing for food with more substance.

The young elf finished the liquid as quickly as she could, downing the entire bowl. Her stomach didn’t seem too thrilled about the thin meal, either. It growled hungrily. Yena turned, smiling.

“My goodness,” she exclaimed, “you shall be leaping about like an Oleadh in a matter of hours.”

Edileth laughed. Being compared to so elegant a beast was a compliment, even if it wasn’t true. She knew it would be some time before she was her normal self.

Yena brought an apple and a handful of seeds and nuts and dried grapes to the golden-haired elf. Edileth ate them somewhat greedily, as though her stomach was on the verge of ingesting itself. In a flash, the food was gone.

She then looked to the elder elvish woman.

“Might I now get up for a bit?”

“I think that is a splendid idea.” Yena smiled, warmly. “We certainly don’t need you getting infection in your lungs. Some exercise will do you a world of good.”

Edileth felt relieved. She had half expected Yena to refuse. She pushed the blanket aside, preparing to stand. Tucking her legs beneath her, Edileth rocked herself onto hands and knees. From this position, she slowly lifted herself until she stood. A hand went to her spinning head and she breathed slow and deep to keep from fainting.

As her vision cleared, Edileth looked about her. Yena stood near, but without crowding �" ready to help if needed, but without being overbearing. Again, Edileth thanked Feridh for this rothnak who seemed to know her so well.

After a moment of catching her breath, Edileth began to slowly move toward the entryway of the niche. She paused, looking down at her scantily dressed body. Yena smiled, and handed Edileth her long, concealing cloak. Thus covered, Edileth began walking again. She had just reached the opening and began looking at the town in the main cavern when she heard someone call out. Yena stood beside her, looking up to the entrance of the cavern.

Edileth followed her gaze and saw a silhouette framed in the morning light. The crouched figure gave a little wave and then stood. The form then made its way lithely down the sloped path.

“Rikku has arrived.” Yena stated simply.

Edileth cringed inwardly. Another of their company was here to witness her feebleness. However, she was glad that, if it had to be anyone, it was Rikku. She would be much too absorbed in conversing with any nearby animals to notice how helpless Edileth was presently.

The diminutive animal-keeper strode quickly to the other two rothnash. Edileth had only met Rikku once before. She was very small, looking almost as though she was a child. Her long hair was a rich, earthy brown, and had a wild look to it; curled locks sweeping in attractive disarray. Her dark, brown eyes resembled those of a fawn, and sat above a small, pointed nose. Delicate, rosy lips completed her spritely appearance.

“Greetings, Rikku.” Yena said as she stepped forward, embracing the small rothnak.

“Yena.” Rikku spoke with fondness. “I have missed you, so. Only the other day I was speaking of you.”

“Oh?” Yena began, laughing. “And was this with another elf, or was it some odd rabbit or bird or some such creature?”

Rikku blushed, looking at Yena sheepishly.

“It was a hetfith.” The dainty elf spoke rather defensively about the bird of prey. “He had injured a wing and I tended to it. I told him where I had learned my healing skills and what a wonderful teacher you had been to me.”

“I figured as much.” The healing woman chortled gaily. “I am glad to see my teaching has been put to such good use.”

Rikku smiled and turned to Edileth, who had silently watched the conversation unfold with the faintest of smiles.

“Hello, Edileth.” The small rothnak seemed to have grown rather shy, speaking quietly, and shifting on her feet.

“Rikku.” Edileth acknowledged the smaller elf with a nod.

“Have you yet eaten?” Yena asked the newest member of the group.

“No; in truth, I have not.” Rikku smiled shyly.

“Well, then, let us get you some food.” The russet-haired rothnak stretched her right arm to show Rikku the way. After the dark-haired elf had passed, Yena stepped beside Edileth. Together the two elves gradually made their way into the alcove.

Rikku was shrugging off her pack and settling onto a large piece of rubble. Crossing her legs, the brown-eyed elf rested her elbows on her knees and her chin in her hands. She watched with inquisitive eyes as the other two slowly made their way to the pile of blankets where Edileth had slept. Yena didn’t help the blonde as she crouched unsteadily and sat upon the floor, but she hovered near.

Edileth felt Rikku’s questioning gaze upon her and did her best to ignore it.

“Tell me, Rikku, how was your journey? Did you run into any trouble along the way?” Yena questioned as she prepared some food.

“My journey went quite well. I had the animals for guidance and for news of any trouble. But pleasantly, there were no problems.”

“Praise Feridh.” Yena stated cheerfully.

Edileth thought of her own journey; she couldn’t say the same as Rikku.

Soon Yena had finished with her preparations and handed Rikku a bowl of oat mash with blueberries and small chunks of apple. She then made her way to Edileth with a slightly watered down version. The three women ate quietly; Yena and Rikku occasionally interrupting the silence with a question or two. Edileth kept to herself, lost in her own thoughts.

“Ah! Joenek, come in.” Yena’s voice broke Edileth’s line of thought. The blonde turned to look at the others. Joenek had paused in the entryway, looking somewhat surprised.

“Joenek, I would like to introduce you to our newest addition.” Yena stood, Rikku following suit, and motioned for Joenek to enter the niche. As he moved closer, Yena turned to the diminutive elf. “Might I introduce you to Joenek Vaernson, of Lael. Joenek, this is Rikku, daughter of Gemille, animal-keeper of Silan.”

“I am pleased to make your acquaintance, Joenek.” Rikku ducked her head, clearly uncomfortable.

“And I, yours.” Joenek stated politely. He swallowed, glancing at Edileth, then to Yena, and finally back to Rikku.

Edileth felt humor rising in her as she realized what Joenek was thinking. He was the lone male, stuck with three females.

The poor wretch. She thought.

Joenek looked at Edileth, likely having felt her gaze upon him. His brows knitted together as he looked at her sardonic grin. She sniffed, setting her bowl aside and shuffling into a standing position. Clutching the opening of her cape in one hand, she leaned over and picked the bowl up. Edileth brought it to Yena, who smiled warmly at her.

“You are doing very well, this morning.” Yena whispered. “If you feel able, perhaps you would like to bathe? There is a shallow section of the hot springs, where you could be quite comfortable. I’m sure it would feel wonderful.”

Edileth ducked her head slightly, smiling. She looked back to Yena.

“I would love that.”

“Splendid. Gather what you need, and I shall accompany you.”

“That won’t be necessary.” Edileth hastily replied. “That is, I think I shall be able to manage on my own.”

Yena sighed, shaking her head slightly.

“As you wish, my dear.” Her smile almost appeared sad.

Edileth moved to her pack, and lifted it haltingly. She noted Joenek watching her intently.

What, in Naine Mithale, is wrong with him? His behavior has been so queer, as of late.

She shook her head and moved to the entrance of the alcove. Edileth felt someone follow directly behind her. Turning with furrowed brows, she saw Joenek standing before her. A snort of irritation erupted from her.

“Where are you going?” Joenek questioned. He was leaning forward, as though he thought she would faint any second. “Let me assist you.”

Edileth blinked rapidly in disbelief. Her face began to redden. A stumbling, garbled reply tumbled from her mouth and then dissipated.

“She’s going to bathe, Joenek.” Yena chuckled. “And I highly doubt she wants your company for that.”

The male elf’s face turned red in an instant. Joenek’s hand went to his face, rubbing his forehead, and slightly covering his eyes. He mumbled an apology, shuffling away and avoiding eye contact with any of the rothnash.

Yena smiled and turned to face Edileth, once more.

“Don’t forget, when you re-wrap your ribs, you want to keep it loose. If you wrap it too tightly, you risk pneumonia.”

The younger rothnak smiled at the matronly elf, giving a nod of understanding. She then made her way across the ancient, ruined town. The dilapidated, skeletal buildings and adornments were the decaying remains of a once-grand city. Sorrow permeated the very air; it was a tangible thing, nearly suffocating. Edileth was curious as to why this location had been chosen for their meeting place.

Seeing the largest “hallway” on the Northern wall, Edileth continued her measured pace toward it. She walked down the wide corridor, her muscles gradually relaxing as she moved them more.

At last, Edileth arrived at the chamber containing the natural hot springs. In the center was a large pool of steaming water. Whoever had carved out the chamber must have created some form of shaft for light, for the room was filled with natural light which reflected off the water and patterned the walls. All about the edges of the chamber were stone benches. Occasionally interrupting the ring of benches were tall sections of stone with mid-sized cubes hollowed out of them. Edileth guessed they were some form of storage.

This must have been a communal bath. The blonde thought. Her eyes then alighted upon two more halls across from her. I’ll wager those lead to more hot springs; one corridor for the rothni and another for the rothnash and young children.

Moving carefully around the main bath, Edileth made for the right-hand corridor. She followed the short hall to another, slightly smaller chamber lit in the same way as the first. Just as she had guessed, there was another pool of warm water toward the center. She laid her pack down close enough to the edge of the pool to get at it easily once she was in the water, but far enough that it wouldn’t fall in or become soaked.

Then, looking about nervously, Edileth tossed her cloak aside, and slipped out of the under dress. She unwrapped her torso, and stepped into the warm water. Following the underwater stone steps, her feet touched the bottom of the pool. She was near the middle of the bath, which looked rather like a misshapen rectangle, and the water reached just above her hips. The warmth of the flowing water soaked into her muscles and joints. Tucking her legs up, she dunked the rest of her body beneath the heat. Thus submerged, her body seemed weightless and she alternately swam and floated, enjoying the relief. When she could no longer hold her breath, she came to the surface.

She then worked at cleaning herself, grabbing a small package from her parcel. Inside was a clumped “block” of plant fat lye with a combination of olive oil, a coarse-grained salt for exfoliation, and sage extract. Edileth rubbed the lye in her hands, creating lather and then began spreading it over her grimy body. She scrubbed at her tangled hair, next. She then grabbed a small comb from her things, and worked the knots out. She poured a small dot of lavender scented oil into her palm and massaged it into her scalp.

The rothnak longed to stay in the soothing water for hours more, but could feel weariness creeping into her bones. She made her way up the steps and exited the bath. Edileth dried herself with her cloak, and then wrapped it around her thin frame. After wrapping her ribs again, she pulled some clean garments out of the bag and dressed. Once clothed, Edileth set to washing the under dress, her cloak, and the tattered clothes she had worn when the Bekhron attack had occurred.

At last, feeling clean and refreshed -- though slightly worn out -- the rothnak made her way back to the niche where she had left the others.

When Yena saw Edileth, she sighed with what sounded like relief. The now-clean she-elf smiled tiredly and moved to her bedding. She set her pack down, before draping her wet clothes over a length of twine that had been set up near the fire for that purpose. After settling down on the blanket, Edileth began to pull her hair into a loose braid to keep it in place. As she did so, the rothnak felt someone’s gaze upon her. Looking up, she saw Joenek watching her with what appeared to be concern.

Embarrassed, Edileth quickly looked away. She glanced up to see Rikku smiling at her. Confused, the blonde cocked her head and sent a questioning look to the animal keeper. The chestnut-haired elf looked down bashfully.

“What is it?” Edileth mouthed, when Rikku looked up again, so only the blushing rothnak would receive her question.

The timid elf glanced at the other two in the “room.” Biting her lower lip, the small elf moved closer to Edileth. The blonde’s curiosity grew.

What is so amusing to her?

Rikku finally sat quite near Edileth. She blushed a bit before speaking.

“It was Joenek.” Her response was hesitant.

“What about him,” Edileth questioned, slightly frustrated, “other than the fact that he’s been acting so strange?”

Rikku chortled slightly.

“What?” The tired rothnak asked in exasperation.

The other elf’s answer shocked Edileth.

“I think he fancies you.”



© 2018 Elina


Author's Note

Elina
Any critiques are greatly welcomed. Also, I have some sketches for the book in my "photos."

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Now Chapter 5...gets a bit deeper into the characters...
show both sides of their personality coming out...
the vulnerable and strengths they portray...
the detail of the events was in depth...
the meeting of another member presented...
and the innuendos just keep coming...
portrays a bit of their sensitive side is coming out...
yet again...there is more to be consumed...

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I loved the deeper connection you gave us to Edileth, letting us see more sides to her personality and making her grow as a character. I'm also getting a little anxious to see how things continue developing between Edileth and Joenek. Your descriptions are always so beautiful and this story continues to flow at a nice pace. I'm enjoying it more and more as I read on!

~Stefanie

Posted 10 Years Ago


Elina

10 Years Ago

Thank you for the lovely review, as always!
I love to see well developed characters, and in this chapter we get to see a bit more of Edileth's personality. I like her depth, she is well thought out. Innocent yet somewhat aloof at the same time. You have a knack for details as well. It is nice to see the changes coming over Joenek and his evolving interest in Edileth.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Elina

10 Years Ago

Thank you for the review!
Now Chapter 5...gets a bit deeper into the characters...
show both sides of their personality coming out...
the vulnerable and strengths they portray...
the detail of the events was in depth...
the meeting of another member presented...
and the innuendos just keep coming...
portrays a bit of their sensitive side is coming out...
yet again...there is more to be consumed...

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I enjoyed reading this, and I can't think of anything that I can pick at :) Keep it up

Posted 10 Years Ago


Elina

10 Years Ago

Thank you, so much!
It's a good solid storyline that flows fine. The conversation, descriptions, and action are done with an easy read. Excellent work. I enjoy the story. Be careful to keep this in editing mode if you plan to publish.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Elina

10 Years Ago

Thank you for the review.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

637 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 22, 2014
Last Updated on March 12, 2018
Tags: action, adventure, elves, fantasy, journey, love, quest


Author

Elina
Elina

About
A child of the Living God, I incorporate my beliefs into my writing. I am quite old-fashioned for my age, and often feel that I ought to have been born in a different era. I am a major bibliophi.. more..

Writing
Part One Part One

A Chapter by Elina



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Chapter 8 Chapter 8

A Chapter by Elina


Lost Lost

A Poem by Elina


Chapter 6 Chapter 6

A Chapter by Elina