Chapter 8

Chapter 8

A Chapter by Elina
"

The group receives a surprise visit and learns of more ill news.

"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter Eight

 

Joenek lay on his back, staring up at the ceiling far above. His mind, as it seemed to be doing increasingly each day, was absorbed with thoughts of Edileth.

She was a rather odd elf. She was terribly harsh, condescending, and arrogant. And yet, there were moments --rare though they were -- where a gentler side of her showed through. She seemed to have two opposing versions of herself. And often, the snide and haughty Edileth won.

In addition to her odd dual personalities, the rothnak was terribly conventional. She was quite stuffy and prim and seemed mortified by anything that was outside her bubble of propriety. Joenek doubted she had ever tasted the joys of physical intimacy with a roth.

The male elf let his mind wander to their sparring match the night before. He had enjoyed watching Edileth; her body moving with grace and fluidity. Her face had taken on a relaxed appearance and Joenek had marveled at how beautiful the blonde could be when she wasn’t wearing a scowl.

A small smile played at one corner of his mouth as he again thought of her reaction to his proposal of a Daindreken match. He had seen her look of horror and disgust.

She really despises me. He thought in frustration. I don’t care how long it takes me, I will win her over.

The dark-haired elf imagined what a Daindreken match would be like with the fiery, young elvish woman. However, his thoughts rapidly began turning to less innocent things.

Abruptly he sat up and took a deep breath, trying to calm his racing pulse. He shook his head as he rid himself of the bawdy thoughts.

Glancing around, he noticed that Yena was already awake and stooped over Marrik. Just as she had done with Edileth, she treated her patient with the utmost care, humming as she worked.

Joenek smiled as he compared the healer to Edileth. He couldn’t think of two rothnash who were more opposite. Yena was sweet and loving, while still being adamant when such firmness was needed. In the few days that Joenek had known the elder rothnak, she had remained constant and unwavering. There was an air of confidence about her, and it was obvious that Yena knew herself completely.

While Joenek was growing fond of Edileth, and found her to be quite beautiful at times, he could not help but admit that Yena exuded beauty always. He did not think of her in the way of vulgarity, but simply as a lovely, elegant woman of wondrous disposition. She was one that had true beauty, both of feature and of mind.

He continued to watch Yena care for Marrik, not two meters away. A slight grimace rose to Joenek’s face as he thought of the medical procedure he had witnessed in the wee hours of the morn. Now that the faint rays of sunlight were beginning to stream through the cavern entrance, the male decided to study the final two members of their group.

Marrik -- though sickly pale and obviously delirious -- had the bearings of a strong and attractive young adult. His slightly greasy hair was the color of ravens’ wings and extended about a hand’s width past his shoulders. His torso was very well muscled, which came as a bit of surprise to Joenek. Yena had said that Marrik was an inventor and scholar; this tall, broad male was not what Joenek had imagined of an intellectual.

His dark, thick brows were slightly furrowed and a stately nose rested above somewhat full lips. The male had a strong jaw line and rather high -- though not overly prominent --cheekbones.

Joenek’s gaze drifted to the other member. Celik had found a place in the front-most corner of the alcove, nearest the entrance. He sat, leaning against the two adjoining walls with his eyes closed and arms crossed. The dark-haired elf was “sleeping” as only the Kenim Naduhlna could -- remaining partially awake to guarantee a hasty response in case of danger, while still allowing the body and mind to rest.

He wore an odd sort of cowl; relatively thick and of a fabric which seemed to shift between muted shades of greens and grays. It all but bulged from the opening of his lengthy coat, which was of a similar material. These, too, were unique to the Kenim Naduhlna. The special cowl had many uses; being a hood as well as a mask, of sorts, to hide one’s face or protect it from thick clouds of smoke or bitter cold. The “cowl” was worn over clothing, but beneath the equally uncommon ankle-length coat.

These coats, as well as the cowls worn beneath them, were made of an extraordinary material which helped the Kenim Naduhlna blend with their surroundings so that �" when standing still �" they virtually disappeared.

Celik had rather short hair for an elf -- though it still had quite some length to it. His dark chocolate hair lay in handsomely messy waves -- a fair portion sticking up in many directions. He had an attractive face; dark brows hanging over intense eyes and a very male nose.

With a sigh, Joenek glanced in Edileth’s direction. She was already awake, though her eyes belied the fact that she was tired. She sat, with legs crossed, reading her copy of Ain Kenonayav.

Such had been her routine each morn. She would read the Holy book, occasionally making a little note or two. Joenek didn’t see that it did her much good; she was ever her ornery self. The roth rolled his eyes slightly and gave a small shake of his head.

There came a sudden clamor from the main cavern. The young male leapt to his feet, taking hold of his sword as he did so, and noticed Celik and Edileth had done likewise.

While Yena continued to hover over Marrik, the three elves dashed out of the niche, ready for a fight. What they had not anticipated was the scene that played out before them.

Scuttling down the sloped path which led into the cavern-town was a Lupak. The beast stood tall on four well-muscled legs, its nearly-skeletal head cocked and twitching. A snorting growl sounded from the in-set nose. Hollow cavities took the place of eyes, and large, bat-like ears swiveled back and forth.

Sitting astride the creature was a familiar form. Surprise and joy rose within Joenek.

“Arun, what are you doing here?”

The large elf turned his gaze to Joenek and grinned.

“Oi, aren’na ye glad to see this ol’ mug? Though I don’t suppose ye’ll be quite so pleased when ye hear what I ‘ave to say.”

“What news have you?” Torben asked from behind Joenek. Arun looked at the wizard, one corner of his mouth turning down before he answered.

“Naught but ill news, I’m a-feared.”

Joenek glanced at his companions. Everyone held grim expressions, as well as looks of nervous curiosity.

Oh, terrific; what more could go wrong?

My thought, exactly.

Joenek jumped, looking around. Each member started walking to the alcove, oblivious to what he had just experienced. He had heard a voice in his mind; it wasn’t his own, nor was it the soft, deep one that he had heard recently while watching over Edileth. Joenek studied his companions.

Each member of the group seemed anxious and sullen, anticipating the troubling information that Arun had to share. Torben moved at a brisk, though jerking sort of pace, gently pinching the tip of his nose between his thumb and forefinger. Arun -- who walked beside the Lupak, with a large hand upon its thick neck to help guide the sightless creature -- held a gloomy expression; he seemed to move with a numbness of spirit, staring at the passing floor without really seeing. Joenek had never seen him look so grave. Edileth walked with tension apparent in her entire being; her arms were crossed and her shoulders hunched. She bit at her lower lip and -- though she didn’t seem to be aware of it -- she scratched at a fold in the fabric of her sleeve with her fingernail. Celik looked a bit stiff as he walked, but other than that -- and his clenched jaw -- he gave no signs of the worry he must be feeling.

Joenek moved up to walk beside his friend, feeling somewhat unnerved by the voice.

“I can’t tell you how happy I am to see you, Arun.” He laid a hand on the tall elf’s shoulder. The blacksmith smiled broadly.

“Wha’s this? I thought ye’d be overjoyed with all t’e new acquaintances.”

“It has been fun,” Joenek admitted with a chuckle, “but it is nice to see a familiar face.”

“I must admit, I thought for sure’s I’d see ye battered an’ bruised from all t’e beatings Edileth ‘ould give ye.” Arun chortled and jabbed Joenek’s side with his elbow. “Oi, Joen, supposin’ she’s thet terrible beasty from yer dream?”

“I wouldn’t doubt it.” The two looked at each other, quickly breaking into snickering laughter.

As they neared the alcove’s entrance, Joenek chanced a glance at the object of their amusement. The female glared at their laughter, nostrils flared and eyes severe. This only produced further levity between Arun and Joenek.

“Ye best watch out fer thet one, Joen. She’ll bite yer ‘ead off afore she’ll let ye make a fool of ‘er.”

Joenek snorted.

“Don’t I know it…”

And you best not forget it.

Joenek jerked, hearing the voice again. His eyes darted about the alcove, looking from one member to the next. Once again, nobody seemed to have heard the sharp whisper. Arun looked askance at him, though, giving a perplexed look.

“Are ye feelin’ well?”

“Yah, I’m fine.” Joenek answered hastily, shaking his head.

A small gasp caught the group’s attention. Rikku was making her way to the group; her hair hanging in damp tresses, revealing that she had come from the baths. Her long lashes fluttered, and she sucked her delicate lips inward a bit.

At last, unable to curb her desire, she tentatively pushed past a few of the elves until she stood before Arun and his mount. With a bashful smile, Rikku looked down and tucked a lock of hair behind her ear.

“Might I speak with the Lupak?”

Arun chuckled before bowing with a flourish.

“O’ course, me lady. I’m sure ‘e’d be glad fer t’e comp’ny.”

Delighted, the diminutive elf stepped before the creature, gently cupping her hands around its jaws and leaning her forehead against the Lupak’s. Unnoticed by the young elf, every member of the group -- save the ailing Marrik -- was watching her silent discussion with the animal.

After a few moments, Torben cleared his throat and turned to Arun.

“So, what news do you bring?”

Everyone waited anxiously; even Rikku looked away from the Lupak to hear what Arun had to say.

“Lael was attacked.” Gasps and growls of shock and dismay came from each elf, as the blacksmith answered.

“Aye, ‘twere ungodly chaos. Many o’ t’e nobles were slaughtered; Repind was among t’em.”

A moaning gasp came from Edileth and she lifted her hands to her face; tears were pooling in her eyes. Yena wrung her hands, bowing her head with a solemn expression.

“Two squads of Elaborathin raided t’e city in the wee hours of t’e morn. T’e beasties infiltrated Canopy Inner, where t’ey killed Repind, Eisha, Gimme-Kae and a few ot’ers. They then invaded ‘omes in Mid-way Selth. T’ere were reports o’ killin’s, rapes, and t’e such like. I’ve never known such ‘orror in all me time in La’el.”

Stunned silence permeated the air.

“T’ey was tossin’ these all ‘round, too.” Arun pulled a crumpled flyer out of his pack. Upon it, dark and menacing, was the symbol of Akkheron. A crude skeletal head was perched on a bed of thorns. A snake protruded from one of the eye sockets, wrapping itself around the grinning skull. Below the symbol were words written in the Dark Tongue.

Torben pointed to the words, translating them into the common tongue as he read.

“Death to all who waver from the path of the Serpent.

“That foolish youngster; he calls himself ‘the Serpent’ and believes he holds all the power. But what he doesn’t know is that he is merely a pawn. And even his master will face the judgment of Feridh, at the proper time.”

“Youngster, eh?” Arun stated with amusement. “He’s older than the lot o’ us.”

“Be as that may, he behaves no better than a spoiled child.”

“Pft! He has a good deal more evil in him than a spoiled child. And he has an army of minions to spread his wickedness throughout Naine Mithale.” Edileth grumbled crossly, arms folded in agitation.

“Aye, ‘tis true. But even Akkheron’s accursed life will end, and he’ll have all eternity to pay for his crimes.”

“Ha! And when, pray tell, will that happen?”

Each member looked surprised by Edileth’s impassioned question.

“How long has Akkheron been upon his throne, now; three hundred some years is it? And it doesn’t seem likely that that will change any time soon. While the rest of the world lives and works, and dies, he lives on; continuing his dark deeds, wreaking havoc, and spreading his pestilence all throughout Naine Mithale.

“Where is the justice in that? Why hasn’t Feridh done something about that ‘pawn,’ as you called him? Why does he not save His people from such evil?”

Joenek stared in astonishment at the fair-haired elf. He could hardly believe that a Ferlian, let alone a member of The Order, would ask such questions. It wasn’t as though he hadn’t thought similar things. He didn’t really believe in Feridh so her questions made sense to him. But here was a young rothnak who was a Ferlian believer -- one who was particularly pompous and often boasted of her superiority -- asking what Joenek thought of as “forbidden questions.”

The others seemed to be equally surprised, though Joenek noted that there was no judgment in their eyes. Yena was the first to respond. She swooped over to Edileth, wrapping an arm around the flustered elf’s shoulders.

“Well, we certainly can’t have lengthy theological discussions on empty stomachs, can we? Come, everyone, let us break our fast.”

Joenek felt a grin play at his lips. Sweet, loving Yena; she always made certain that everyone was well-fed.

As the party settled in, leaving the Lupak in the main cavern to rest and roam at will, Torben began speaking.

“There are no easy answers to your questions, Edileth. But let’s start with what evil is and work our way from there.

“Countless years ago, there was a well-learned elf by the name of Ariodh. He described evil as being rather like to a parasite on good. He considered evil as something that is missing; it requires good to exist because it is a parasite. Take that hole in Arun’s cloak; the hole is not something, but rather a lack, thereof.

“If evil is not an actual thing, Feridh cannot be the author of it. He is the author of good. However, elven-kind has made, and continues to make, moral choices that result in evil.

“Now, let me take a moment to point out that there are two forms of evil. There is moral evil and natural evil. Moral evil occurs simply because elves have fallen from their intended place; we are flawed and commit atrocities against one another. This is because things are not as they were meant to be.

“Natural evil comes in the form of earthquakes, floods, or any number of other natural catastrophes. One might have the same thoughts about natural evil as you had expressed, Edileth, about the scourge of Akkheron. This, too, ties into the fact that paradise has been lost to us, due to our moral shortcomings. In Ain Kenonayav it says, ‘We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth.’ Until the day comes when Feridh ultimately and finally overcomes evil, taking each of us into His kingdom, such evil shall persist.”

As Torben paused to begin eating the food that Yena had passed around, Joenek had a strong urge to question the man further. He was certainly knowledgeable, but the younger roth wasn’t convinced that Feridh would allow such terrible things to happen if He was as marvelous and good as they said.

“Why would Feridh even allow evil to begin with? If He’s the Creator and so wonderful, couldn’t he have created a world without it?”

Torben smiled with understanding.

“Those are good questions, Joenek. There are a couple different options here. Let’s say that Feridh had not created anything; there would be no evil. However, it would be a world without morality.

Now, say, Feridh created a world where elf-kind had no choice of being good or evil; He could force everyone to behave accordingly, halting them before they could carry out their evil acts. But such a world -- one where freedom does not exist -- is not good, either.

“I feel I must reiterate that there are no easy answers to the questions concerning evil. We are but elves; we cannot fathom the depths and the wisdom of Feridh. He allows us to be tried and tested; that our faith may be made stronger, and our relationship with Him deeper.

Think of what it says in Ain Kenonayav; ‘For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us.’ And, ‘He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.’

“What a joy it is, to know that all our failings and pains shall be erased when we step into His presence in Faedhmíl.”

A sad smile crossed the elder elf’s face, along with a distant look of longing. Joenek continued to watch as Yena moved close to her husband and placed her hands around one of his. This seemed to bring Torben out of his reverie and he smiled down at his wife.

Glancing to the others, the doubting elf noticed that each one wore expressions of contentment. Rather than voicing his continued reservations, Joenek kept quiet; choosing, instead, to finish his meal.

“With La’el having been attacked, not to mention Sae-an in Nissara Len, should we not seek shelter elsewhere?” Edileth’s question sounded rather more like an insistence.

“We can hardly travel across the countryside with Marrik so incapacitated.” Celik glanced to the pale elf.

“That isn’t quite true, Celik. We are likely in grave danger; therefore, it is of dire importance that we leave soon. ‘Tis true that Marrik’s frailty might slow us and create some mild hindrance in our flexibility, but I do have a solution that will aide us. I am, after all, a wizard.” Torben wiggled his fingers while lifting his brows in joviality.



© 2018 Elina


Author's Note

Elina
As always, critiques are greatly welcomed...

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I loved that you started this chapter off with Joenek being absorbed in thoughts of Edileth... We know he for sure is completely infatuated with her.
I really liked the theological spin you took in this chapter. It gives your story more depth and I was amazed with how well you wrote that section. I shouldn't be surprised though since your writing is always so well done! :)
Looking forward to seeing who is sending those telepathic thoughts (even though I have an idea of who it might be).

~Stefanie

Posted 9 Years Ago


Elina

9 Years Ago

Thank you very much!
Develops more into this story of yours...the reminiscence in the beginning --- the way you have Joenek give his side of the matter and the descriptions of the others...and the break up with the coming of the Lupak and Arun...the accounts of Lael...the morality of Evil and the event they face as they move forward...I did see areas with minor --- details...but I will jot them down below:

She was a rather odd woman. She was terribly harsh, condescending, and arrogant. And yet, there were those moments -- rare though they were -- where a more gentle side of her showed through. She seemed to have two opposing versions of herself. And more often than not, the snide and haughty Edileth won.

---

She was a rather odd woman, terribly harsh, condescending, and arrogant. And yet, there were those moments -- rare though they were -- where a gentle side of her showed through. She seemed to have two opposing versions of herself. And more often than not, the snide and haughty Edileth won.

I got to reading the paragraph --- and less with some words here and still hit the mark...I saw one other area:

Marrik -- though sickly pale and obviously delirious -- had the bearings of a strong and attractive young adult. His slightly greasy hair was the colour of ravens’ wings and extended about a hand’s width past his shoulders. His torso was very well muscled, which came as a bit of surprise to Joenek. Yena had said that Marrik was an inventor and scholar; this tall, broad male was not what Joenek had imagined of an intellectual.

---

Marrik -- though sickly pale and obviously delirious -- had the bearings of a strong and attractive young adult. His slightly greasy hair was the colour of ravens’ wings and extended about a hand’s width past his shoulders. His torso was well muscled, which came as a bit of surprise to Joenek. Yena had said that Marrik was an inventor and scholar; this tall, broad male was not what Joenek had imagined of an intellectual.

you mentioned later with the line "well muscled" further in the read...I just avoid the double "very well" and just go with "well" as you did further into the story...I did not see anything else of interest...the rest of this is spot on...

Posted 9 Years Ago


Elina

9 Years Ago

Thank you for reading, and for the suggestions. I will make those changes.
Glen Yumang Manese

9 Years Ago

you're welcome...seems I'm a bit behind --- I'll make way again and read on...
Great chapter. I really enjoyed it. The theological parts were really well written.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Elina

9 Years Ago

Thank you, Josh. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
I liked your theological discourse here, it is quite right and well reasoned. I thought I might have found an error with 'bated breath', but a Google check proved you to be correct. I think I know who is sending Joenek telepathic thoughts and I look forward to seeing how that develops in Chapter 9.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Elina

9 Years Ago

Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it. As for the theological portion, I based it on an article that I .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

469 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on April 30, 2014
Last Updated on March 10, 2018
Tags: action, adventure, elves, fantasy, journey, love, quest


Author

Elina
Elina

About
A child of the Living God, I incorporate my beliefs into my writing. I am quite old-fashioned for my age, and often feel that I ought to have been born in a different era. I am a major bibliophi.. more..

Writing
Part One Part One

A Chapter by Elina



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Chapter 5 Chapter 5

A Chapter by Elina


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Elina


Chapter 6 Chapter 6

A Chapter by Elina