Discovery

Discovery

A Story by Elina
"

A glimpse into Edileth's past

"

            Edileth padded down the hall. She moved with practiced stealth; if Diathra discovered her, there would be no end to the reprimanding. Only weeks ago, Edileth had been fiercely scolded for nearly causing a chamber fire during her late-night reading. The youth reached up, taking hold of the small section of shortened hair. The ends were frizzled and frayed where the flame of a candle had set it ablaze. A shudder coursed through her, as Edileth remembered Diathra’s stern gaze.

            A voice in the hall startled the blonde out of her memories. With all haste, Edileth darted into the alcove of a bed-chamber entrance. Pressing her back against the cool stone, the youth sank as deeply into the shadows as the walls would allow. Soft footsteps drew near; Edielth held her breath.

            Like a shadow, an elf dressed in the attire of The Guard glided past Edileth’s hiding place. For reasons she could not pinpoint, the young elf felt unease stir within her. Warning bells seemed to chime within the blonde and she found herself studying the guard with uncontrollable curiosity. As she stared after the helmeted figure, Edileth felt an odd fluttering sort of sensation within her mind.

            Before she had the chance to ponder the peculiar sensation, the youth was startled by a deep voice that seemed to speak into her thoughts.

            …told me to follow this hall to a stairwell. From there…ah, yes! Make a right and follow that hall to the final chamber on the left.

            Edileth was surprised as she realized that the intruder was heading for the private chambers of Dhrain Aevenson, Baron of Ain Dimruhl Bainlodain. More startling, still, was the fact that the young elf sensed that the stranger’s desire to reach the Baron stemmed from ill will.

            Frightened and uncertain, Edileth cautiously moved from her place of hiding. She crept backwards down the hall, keeping her eyes on the strange elf. Once she reached an adjoining hall she turned around and sprinted down its length. As she neared another corridor, the youth rounded the corner and descended the stone steps. When she reached their base, Edielth made a sharp left, and neared the chambers of the Captain of the Guard. Pounding upon the door, the blonde prayed that Kerriff was in his chambers and not slumbering too deeply.

            After what felt like an eternity, the Captain of the Guard opened the door. He glanced down at Edileth in surprise.

            “What brings you here at such a late hour, child?”

            “Oh, please, you must help! Someone is trying to harm Baron Dhrain.”

            Edileth started to run back toward the Baron’s chambers. Kerriff, however, placed a hand upon her shoulder.

            “Wait, little Edileth. If there truly is trouble, you should stay away.” Pointing down the hall, the tawny-haired elf instructed her to depart. “Go to your chambers, and rest. I will ensure that no harm befalls his lordship.”

            Fully expecting Edileth to obey, Kerriff trotted down the hall without waiting for her to leave for her bedchambers. Driven by her curiosity, the blonde followed furtively behind the Captain of the Guard.

            When, at last, she came upon the Baron’s chambers, Kerriff had already apprehended the intruder. Lord Dhrain stood with regal composure, while his wife held their son close, worry evident in her features. Kerriff held a blade to the throat of the intruder.

            “Who are you? Under who’s authority do you act?”

            The helmed elf took a step forward, allowing the blade to press against the skin of his neck, and spat upon the carpeted floor of the Baron’s main chamber.

            You must think me an oaf if you believe I would tell you anything. I won’t risk the great cause that Haendr is striving for.

            Again, Edileth heard the deep voice within her mind. She gave her head a little shake before stepping into the room to confront the stranger.

            “What is the ‘great cause’ that you speak of?”

            No one had noticed her entrance, and the blonde nearly laughed at the surprised reactions from the other elves. She was especially pleased with the look of shock and fear that passed over the intruder’s face.

            “I told you to go to your chambers. What are you doing here, little one?” Kerriff gave a grim look of disapproval.

            Baron Dhrain, on the other hand, seemed intrigued.

            “What was that you said, Edileth?”

            The young elf glanced to Lord Aevenson. Her gaze shifted to the stranger before returning to the Baron.

            “Did you not hear him? He said something about a ‘great cause’ that someone by the name of Haendr is leading.”

            The room burst into a chorus of voices.

            “You shut your foul mouth, girl.” The helmed elf shouted.

            “Haendr? Do you mean Sir Haendr, Knight of Maellidh?”

            “He never spoke a word. How did you hear this?”

            “But…he did speak. I heard him say it.”

            That little brat; she will ruin everything. I should kill her before she has a chance to say anything more.

            Wide-eyed, Edileth looked to the other elves. Pointing to the intruder, she cried out.

            “Didn’t you hear him? He said he was going to kill me.”

            “He spoke no such words, Edileth. His lips never moved.” Kerriff shooed her away with his free hand. “It is late; you’re tired. Go to your chambers and sleep, child.”

            “Wait, Kerriff.” Lord Dhrain turned to look at the blonde. “How is it that you can hear him, when none of us can, child?”

            “I don’t know, my Lord.”

            “Do you…by chance, are you hearing his voice in your mind?”

            “I think so…”

            Edileth felt confused and a bit apprehensive. The Baron stepped back as if he had received a blow.

            “Remarkable…to think that we have been caring for a child of the Feridelle…”

            “What is that, Father? What is going on?”

            Edileth glanced to Veshmón, the son of Lord Dhrain and Lady Westrienda. At ten summers, he was her senior by three years. She had known him for as long as she could remember. The two young elves were often found scampering about the palace, practicing sword play near the barracks of The Guard, or causing general mayhem in the kitchens and laundering chambers. Veshmón was her closest companion; her partner in mischief-making.

            The lad looked at Edileth with curiosity. Lady Westrienda, on the other hand, pulled the boy closer to her. She gazed upon the blonde with fear and loathing.

            “Take her away! It has always displeased me to have my darling boy spending time with that orphan. She’s a bad influence and nothing good will come of her lingering around my little Mónie. I don’t know why you always dote upon her, dear. And now, to find out that she’s one of those…”

            “Kerriff, please, take care of this…intruder. I’m afraid I have family matters to attend to.”

            “As you wish, my Lord.”

            The Captain of the Guard attempted to lead the stranger from the Baron’s chambers. The intruder, however, lunged for Lord Dhrain. He unsheathed a dagger and sent the weapon through the air before Kerriff was able to restrain him. The Baroness screamed in fright.

            Edileth -- perceiving the stranger’s intentions -- had leaped the distance to where Veshmón stood and tackled him. Lady Westrienda, still clinging to the boy, consequently stumbled to the side and landed heavily on her rear.

            The Captain of the Guard, having once more detained the would-be assassin, glanced to the Baron and then to the three elves sprawled on the floor.

            “Is anyone harmed?”

            “Praise be to Feridh, we are all safe.” Lord Dhrain moved to retrieve the dagger from its place of landing. “Edileth, child, how did you know he was going to throw his blade at my son and not at me? Did you hear him say something again?

            “No…he didn’t say anything. I just…knew what he was going to do.”

            Baron Aevenson muttered something under his breath, as Kerriff led the intruder away. While Lady Westrienda sat, sniffling and fretting, Veshmón pulled Edielth to her feet.

            “Wow, Edileth! That was incredible!” The boy still held her hand in one of his and used a free hand to pat her atop the head. He beamed down at the blonde. “You’re the best friend an elf could ask for.”

            Edileth giggled, enjoying the look of admiration that Veshmón gave her. The moment was short-lived, as Lady Westrienda snatched at her son’s hand. The Baroness nearly dragged the boy away from Edileth, all the while batting the young female away.

            “You leave my son be, detestable waif. He shouldn’t have someone like you near him.”

            “Mother!” Veshmón wailed in protest, as he tried to pry his mother’s fingers from his wrist. “Edileth saved my life, and she’s my closest friend. Why don’t you like her?”

            “Some day she may decide to use her mindreading witchcraft on you. I tell you, Dhrain, it was ill-fortune that you agreed to look after that wee monster. She’s no creature of Feridh; she is spawn of the Evil One himself. She’ll bring ruin upon us all, lest you dispose of her--”

            “That is enough, Westrienda.” The Baron looked distressed by his wife’s words. “Veshmón, lad, leave your mother and me; you need to sleep.”

            “But--” The youth glanced to the blonde.

            “To bed with you.”

            “Yes, father.” Veshmón gave Edileth a sullen look, before moving for the door on the right-hand wall. Once he was through, and had closed the door, Lord Aevenson turned his gaze upon Edileth.

            “Please forgive my wife’s harsh words. I imagine she is much fatigued from her busy and laborious day. You, too, must needs go to sleep.”

            Baron Dhrain drew close. He placed his hands upon Edileth’s small shoulder blades, propelling her toward the door. As Lord Aevenson closed the door, the young elf looked to Lady Westrienda. Without warning, Edileth heard the voice of the Baroness in her mind.

            Wretched snake.

            The harsh click of the latch shook Edileth from her injured quietude. She sank to the floor, sniffling and wiping the tears from her eyes. Not understanding the sudden coldness of the family that had helped look after her, Edileth wondered what she had done so wrong.

            Am I bad? Did I do something evil?

            With a heavy heart, the small elvish girl stood and started to move away from the Baron’s door. Unbidden, she heard Lord Dhrain’s voice in her mind.

            …poor girl. I’ve done my best to look out for her because she’s Fyndarr’s daughter, but I don’t know if I can protect her, as he had hoped I would. Oh, Feridh, what am I to do…

            More confused than she had been even moments before, Edileth fled from the Baron’s doorway. She held her hands over her ears, hoping to quiet the lord’s voice. It continued on, though became quieter as she dashed down halls or ascended stairs. At last there was silence.

            Morose and befuddled, the girl left the palace, taking the secret path that Veshmón had shown her several moons ago. Moving through the woods, the young girl headed toward the roaring Viadhe waterfall. Once near the edges of the falls, Edileth cried quietly beside the raging water, enjoying the cool mist that settled upon her skin and hair and clothes. Before long, the young elf was soaked in the spray from the falls.

Shivering with chill, Edielth made her way to an outcropping of rocks that Veshmón and she had discovered hid a mid-sized cave. Curling up into a little ball, the small elvish child drifted into sleep.

© 2018 Elina


Author's Note

Elina
Hit a tricky spot in my novel, so I decided to write a short story on Edileth (eventually, I would like to have a smallish volume of short stories pertaining to an assortment of characters, past and present).
All characters and settings are from my "Ferlian Warriors" series. Book one is currently titled "Travelers of the Gredhe" (still deciding on a catchier title).

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

223 Views
Added on April 14, 2018
Last Updated on April 15, 2018
Tags: action, adventure, elf, elves, fantasy, magic, magik

Author

Elina
Elina

About
A child of the Living God, I incorporate my beliefs into my writing. I am quite old-fashioned for my age, and often feel that I ought to have been born in a different era. I am a major bibliophi.. more..

Writing
Part One Part One

A Chapter by Elina