Part One: Larrenelia's Escape

Part One: Larrenelia's Escape

A Chapter by Elina
"

A small excerpt from a serial novel that I am hoping to create.

"

“Feather fluff!”

            The red-haired figure glared at the chamber’s single window. A snapping sound, accompanying odd flashes of light, came from the opening. After a few brief moments, the sparks fizzled out, and the sound disappeared with them. Groaning in frustration, the diminutive female draped herself across the window sill, allowing her arms to hang over the edge.

            “Why won’t it work?”

            With eyes the colour of pale jade, the figure gazed out at the world beyond her place of entrapment. Towering pine and spruce, sturdy oak, gossamer willow, pale-barked aspen, and all assortment of other trees and vegetation filled the landscape within her range of vision. A slight gap in the endless treetops revealed the winding path of the Síran River, which flowed through the valley of the same name. In the distance, mountains far grander than the ones in which the female dwelled were capped with snow.

            Releasing a heavy sigh, the lavender-clad figure moved away from the window. She swept her hand through several locks of bead- and feather-adorned hair. With forlorn expression, the female moved across the richly decorated chamber.

            Shelves lined a majority of the walls, books filling most of them. Interspersed with the countless volumes of literature were odd trinkets from distant lands, Seer Stones, sketch books accompanied by various art supplies, small wood figures in the likeness of an assortment of creatures, and even an old, abandoned bird’s nest. From the beams near the heights of the round-ish chamber hung all manner of plant life. A moss of rich green hues clung to the hickory joists, cascading from them with wisteria, fuchsia, and sweet alyssum blossoms. Several clusters of dried and drying herbs also hung from the support beams.

            The female moved past several delicate pedestals topped with as many candles as each perch would hold. The flames flickered as she swept past the elegant stands, nearing the dressing table. Issuing forth another sigh, she dropped herself upon the feminine bench. Resting her chin in her hands, the female studied her reflection in the looking glass.

            She was fair of both complexion and feature. The hunger and longing she felt deep within her heart seemed to radiate from her eyes. Behind, and extending above her fiery tresses, the female watched the gentle movement of her gossamer wings.

            “That’s right,” she proclaimed, while striking the palm of her hand upon the vanity. “I am Larrenelia, daughter of Rivanlorr and Oremendelia, princess of Fae F’erren, the kingdom presiding over the Realm of the Fae. I shan’t be bested!”

            With renewed determination, Larrenelia stood and returned to the window. She knelt down and scooped up the book she had dropped in her earlier frustration. Dusting it off with care, the faerie princess apologized to the volume, and opened it to the page she needed.

            “Right, then; shall we have another go at this?”

            Larrenelia inhaled, gathering her thoughts and focusing her attention on the task she had set for herself. The princess considered the desire of her heart, recalling the countless tales of the Realm of the Morde. Allowing these recollections and longings to fuel her, the young faerie lifted her right hand, holding it parallel to the window. She then began reciting the words scrawled within the book.

            “Illen illen Morde den Raem, fille selven Fae den Raem. Baearnem billedt deeran vindar nem.”

            Following the instruction of the enchanted text, Larrenelia lifted her hand to touch the top, base, and each side of the window’s opening. With heightened resolve, the princess carefully placed the book upon the floor, and performed the final portion of the incantation. Placing the tips of her fingers at the center of the windowsill, she stretched each hand outward and up, until her fingertips brushed against the sides of the window. She continued moving her hands upward, gradually drawing them closer, until she brought them together at the window’s highest point. The red-haired faerie brought her palms together, dropping her hands until they were centered before her torso. At last, Larrenelia extended her palms outward, toward the opening in the stone wall.

            As she reached for the open space beyond her window, the faerie’s hands came in contact with an unseen surface. The princess blinked in surprise and fought the urge to snatch her hands away from the unusual sensation.

            It reminded Larrenelia of the smoothness of her looking glass, though it lacked the strict solidity of the reflective article. A golden light shimmered, starting from her hands, and expanding to fill the entire window. Once the radiance had reached the edges of the opening, it faded. The ethereal pane seemed to soften and -- with a most peculiar fluttering sort of feeling -- it settled into a consistency like that of spider’s webs.

            The elated faerie barely dared to breath, afraid that, by some chance, even her smallest exhale would buffet the unseen curtain into nonexistence. With caution, she drew her hands away from the window, clutching them near her chest.

            Larrenelia leaned close to the window, amazed at how well-camouflaged the portal was.

            “How remarkable. There remains not even the slightest trace of it.”

            With trepidation, the princess extended one of her hands. After taking a shaky breath, and with all manner of caution, she inserted her appendage into the unseen portal. A silky, though slightly sticky, sensation skirted across her hand and up her arm. Having reached into the portal up to her elbow, Larrenelia waited to feel something that would give her a clue as to what the other side held. Feeling nothing, she waved her hand about.

            It was a rather peculiar experience to the faerie’s thinking. She could not see the portion of her arm that was within the portal, and yet she could feel that she was moving it about the opening. While her fingers never brushed against anything on the other side, Larrenelia continued to feel the webby curtain gliding across, and partially clinging to, her hand and arm.

            “Larrenelia!”

            Startled, the princess snatched her hand out of the portal, and closed the shutters to the window with haste. Heart pounding in her chest, the red-haired faerie retrieved the book from its place upon the floor and dashed to a section of shelving. With no undue amount of panic, she tucked the volume behind several other books of a more studious nature and took three leaping strides to her dressing table. Candles flickered at her passing.

            Larrenelia had barely taken hold of her brush and began running it through her curled locks when the door to her chamber was nigh flung open.



© 2018 Elina


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Author's Note

Elina
Any feedback and/or critiques you can provide will be so appreciated.

Image credit: vaniapaiva on DeviantArt

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Your level of descriptions are excellent and your character has been well defined. I would like to advise you to read you work aloud. Primarily during your description of the fairies gilded cage. I often find the flow of words to be equally as important as the use of them. That section didn't flow as easily as the rest.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Elina

5 Years Ago

Thank you for your review. I will certainly take that into consideration on future editing of this s.. read more
"The female" usage seemed WAY, Way overdone. You used the feminine pronouns elsewhere with ease.

You have defined a worthy char - it remains to be seen what you do with her.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Elina

5 Years Ago

Thank you for the advice. I did not want to reveal her faerie identity straightaway, but the excessi.. read more
Very rich description of her appearance and surroundings -- you get a great image of it in your head. The story is fresh and sounds very interesting.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Elina

5 Years Ago

Thank you, Eddie!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

197 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 23, 2018
Last Updated on July 5, 2018
Tags: adventure, faerie, fairy, fantasy, story, tale


Author

Elina
Elina

About
A child of the Living God, I incorporate my beliefs into my writing. I am quite old-fashioned for my age, and often feel that I ought to have been born in a different era. I am a major bibliophi.. more..

Writing
Part One Part One

A Chapter by Elina


Part Two Part Two

A Chapter by Elina