Death of My Artist

Death of My Artist

A Poem by Sir Fusting

And so comes with age,

The need to be great,

And the talents we held,

Slowly crumble away.

 

Sad as it seems,

My hopes and my dreams,

The reasons i write,

About deep dark blue nights,

All meaningless.

 

Is there no hope for me now?

My artist is dead,

or at least,

uninspired.

And also with his death,

So too dies,

My inner child.

 

 

 

 

© 2008 Sir Fusting


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I guess I'm fortunate, in a way, to have had the reverse happen. Writing at age 5 I wanted to be a best-selling author. As I got older, reality seeped in; I realised my writing standard was quite poor and that the dreams were unlikely. As a consequence, any achievement now seems cool.
It's more about the writing itself...and me, I guess.
I remember the horror of realising [age 13] that I wouldn't be able to live off writing; I had to come up with a whole new life-plan. I still haven't haha.

Sorry to start off so blithe. I actually found this a very sad read - the end, in particular, is haunting.

If this poem is based on you and your current situation, I want to encourage you not to give up. It could be a dry patch re: inspiration. I get those quite often, and I panic, as the narrator of this poem is doing.
Having said that, this is a very decent poem, so perhaps signifies the end of your dry spell? :-)

I feel that I'm not 100% grasping the meaning behind this piece, as simple as it seemed at first.
Stanza one: it's not 'playtime' any more, and the narrator feels his writing hasn't matured/improved enough for him to be considered a great writer any time soon [?]
Stanza two: he's either philosophically feeling that all is meaningless, or perhaps his situation, which was once a source of inspiration, has changed. Maybe he doesn't feel that his own experiences are worthy of being written about [?]
Stanza three: the joy of writing has gone, and taken with it pretty much all joy[?]

The subtle rhyme scheme throughout this worked really well.

Do you deliberately use lots of commas, or do you feel they're needed to indicate pauses? I can't tell if they're part of your writing style or an unaware compulsion. They work fine in some places, but seem a little redundant in others.
If you welcome punctuation suggestions, let me know and I'll come back, but if it's your style then never mind; it doesn't wreck the poem or anything.

Overall, a good write.
The topic is fairly universal; those who don't write simply need to apply it to their own talents/enjoyments - or even simply feel the poet's pain as expressed in this piece. The key to writing 'successful' poetry is to sometimes take a step back from our own lives, or to generalise where possible, so that others will relate easily to what we're saying. You've accomplished that here, and I think i remember other poems by you that also did it, so please don't feel like your writing is meaningless. It communicates to others, and often moves them...that's very meaningful.

Thanks for sharing this.
I hope the artist and inner child are dancing their way back to ya right now.



Posted 15 Years Ago


I think everyone can relate to this in some way.
I know that I certainly can.

It makes me think of how my own writing has changed through the years, and how the things that seemed so important then aren't quite so important now.

Amazing how that works out, isn't it?

Stay true,
Raye

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

188 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 10, 2008

Author

Sir Fusting
Sir Fusting

Oklahoma City, OK



About
I'm 19, I live in Oklahoma, I love writing, guitar, friends, and other wonderful things! Happy to share thoughts and ideas with people, just add me! :) more..

Writing