Cyberbullying Has Got to Go

Cyberbullying Has Got to Go

A Story by Shade
"

I just decided to write about why cyberbullying is such a huge problem. Simple as that.

"
As to the question of why it’s important that we delete cyberbullying, said practice is essentially a more common, yet more overlooked form of terrorism.  The intention of terrorism is to induce a negative emotion within a target.  Sadness is often not far behind the main emotion, fear.  This manifests itself in a growing number of ways even if limited to terrorism over the Internet, or cyberbullying, from posting slanderous or threatening comments about a person or group to impersonation for defamation of character.

While cyberbullying is no physical attack, the emotional effects can be very dark.  There are some victims who will simply take annoyance, if anything, with this and can easily deal with them (i.e. blocking or reporting).  That’s not the case with many victims, unfortunately.  Other victims go through several negative emotions and symptoms that come with them, including wrath, anxiety, fear, and the two biggest problems in my opinion, low self-esteem and depression.  When someone feels these two emotions for an extended period of time, it’s sadly not uncommon for suicide to ensue, especially if it’s because someone decided it a good idea to be mean to them.  This is something that has become a big problem among children and teenagers in recent history.  Two examples I can come up with are Rebecca Sedwick (2013), who suffered harassment on mobile apps like Kik, and, even more famously, Amanda Todd (2012), whose cyberbullying (involving child pornography on Facebook) led to physical bullying, both of which following her everywhere.

Even despite all the emotional trauma that occurs, cyberbullying is still far worse than traditional bullying in that it can go beyond the victims.  People who associate with the victim often find themselves on consolation duty, which takes away from their own lives.  Associates even often take abuse for mere association (for example: Shandera is being harassed for something on Twitter, but because I’m friends with her, everybody who picks on her at school also set their sights on me).  This can even lead to the termination of any further association with the victim for the hope to avoid any further harassment.  Dare I mention that the bullying can even transcend lifetimes?  Even after the aforementioned Amanda Todd committed suicide, many of the people who helped terrorize her were not only still mocking her, but they were even saying that they’re glad she’s gone and that she deserved to die.

With numerous forms of internet harassment, emotional wreckage, child suicides, and (for lack of an existent word) associational backlash, I can wholeheartedly say that cyberbullying is one of the biggest problems America is facing.  I would know �" I’ve been a victim of cyberbullying myself, as well as (again, for lack of a real word) associational (again, not a word) backlash.

© 2017 Shade


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

70 Views
Added on February 23, 2017
Last Updated on February 23, 2017
Tags: cyberbullying, bullying, online, social media

Author