The special basket

The special basket

A Story by Enigma
"

Ohk... You might like this :)

"

I'm staring at the raindrops falling down on earth through the balcony of my house. The plants I have planted and cared for so long have finally bloomed the most beautiful flowers one can ever imagine. With a cup of hot coffee in my hand and feeling the cool breeze brush against me time and again, I can't be at more peace.

Suddenly there are footsteps behind me. I carelessly place my cup on a nearby table and stand up grumbling, turning around just in time to see my friend Tim coming towards me. He has a faded purple sweatshirt and brown pajamas pulled over his atheletic frame. For one second I kinda mock and admire his outfit at the same time by flashing a wierd grin.

But before I can make a move, I am tightly hugged by him. I couldn't even speak, left alone move. And then, three words escape his lips which make me forget everything that is going around me...

"I...love...you"

 

"Liz..."

 

I try to reply. "I..."

 

"Liz! Wake up!!"

"Huh?" I mumbled. Everything appeared as a blur. I heard noises and saw things which didn't make any sense. I had to blink several times before I realised that I had fallen asleep at the coffee table.

"Oh! I am so sorry", somebody said.

I looked at the unfamiliar face tried to focus.

"Who...are?", I tried to make sense.

"Hey! It's Tim. Are you ok?", the guy replied.

By now, I was awake. Awake enough to know that I had fallen asleep waiting for Tim at Sunny Perk, a place we were supposed to meet or rather he was supposed to meet me at 2:30p.m. I glanced at my watch. It was 3:45p.m.

The people at Sunny knew me well enough not to disturb me.

"Hey!", Tim said.

"I'll be back in a second", I replied and without waiting for an answer, glided away to the bathroom.

Within minutes, I was back. Having washed my face almost a dozen times, I was feeling quite fresh. Quite in a position to bash Tim for getting so late.

I reached the table only to find that Tim was gone again. I was about to explode when he suddenly appeared out of no-where with a large basket in his hand decorated with all sorts of ribbons and goodies.

For once, I looked at it transfixed. But a second later, I ignored it and was about to thrash him when he started.

"I'm really sorry. Here's something I wanted you to look at", he said with an innocent face.

'What can a gift do!', I said to myself. Although my anger had vanished to see his pretty gift, yet, I felt that I should get atleast a little angry so that he won't keep me waiting again.

"You just have a look inside first, then scold me, ok?" He said placing down his gift and himself on our table.

I sighed and sat down infront of him. I silently told myself to get hold of someone who can teach me on how to be angry over someone you secretly like.

I stared long at his gift and made my move only when Tim told me that I was looking like a statue.

Inside, there was a huge envelope.

I took it out.

"That explains whay you're such a nerd", he replied with a stupid grin on his face. "You always have to READ something.", saying this he started laughing.

"A dumb and irrelevant comment", I said sarcastically.

Inside, was a beautifully written note which was actually a poem.

I read it in one go. The I read it again. And looked at Tim as if I was seeing him after a decade or so.

"Do you like it?", he said.

'Oh! I love it!! Is it for me? IS IT FOR ME??' I said to myself.

"It's great", I said mouthing my words carefully. I had to control my excitement as I knew that it'd be for me. Wow!!

I couldn't take it. I wanted to get up and hug him right away, but I stopped myself. 'Let him say himself.' I told myself.

"It's for someone special", he said with a twinkle.

'Yes! Yes! I know...' I said inside my head.

"I'm gonna give this to her tonight", he told me.

'Give 'her'! Who 'her'? Isn't this for me?', I looked at him with disbelief.

"Who's she?", I said trying not to look or sound disappointed. I was screaming inside.

"Someone special..." he said.

I couldn't take it. He's in love alright, but not with me. With someone else.

"That's so awesome.", I told him faking a smile. "The girl would go mad with this gift.", I said this placing the envelope back in the basket and smiled.

"Thanks for telling me that. Now I gotta get this to her." , he said getting up. "Before there's one more thing to do..."

"What?", I asked.

"Shower", he replied as a matter of factly.

"Oh! Man!", I sighed out loud. 'What a jerk'

Saying this, he danced away and with the beautiful basket still in my mind, I cam home with a heavy heart.

I threw myself on the bed and for an hour or so read and re-read my diary entries where I had talked about liking this guy.

Few minutes later, it started to rain. I put on my lose pajamas, made a cup of coffee and stood at my balcony. It was exactly as I had been dreaming a few hours back. Only that Tim wasn't here.

I was about to take the first sip when someone furiously started ringing my bell.

I grumbled out loud and rushed to my door. To my surprise, I found Tim standing there dripping wet from head to toe with a large packet which I figured out to be the basket.

"What are you doing here?", I asked smiling. It was hard enough for me to control my laughter.

"I...got...wet", he said panting.

I took the packet from him as he came inside. I started pointing out the places wherever he was making a puddle and to avoid that he came up with a stupid dance where he's jump and then tip toe and then again jump. It made me laugh out loud.

He went straight into the bathroom and as if I knew it, I threw at him an old pair of my dad's pajamas which I found tucked away under my bed.

After waiting for ten minutes, I cam back to my balcony and sat on my recliner. It felt so comfortable.

I closed my eyes andlay there listening to the sounds of falling raindrops.

Suddenly, I heard those foot-steps.

I didn't expect anything strange so I placed my cup on the nearby table and stood up. As soon as I turned around, I saw him dressed in those brown pajamas looking all funny and cute at the same time. I wanted to speak something but I couldn't as he was walking continuously towards me.

Within minutes, I was again in the same awkward yet, sweet position that happend in my dream. I hugged him bad as my mind had gone blank.

The three magical words were spoken making me feel dizzy.

After a few words, many more hugs, and a special kiss,  we both lay down on my recliner and finally opened up that basket. Besides, that great love poem, it had many more things which I liked. Music CDs, a beaded bracelet, a sparkling hair pin and underneath all of them was another box.

"You'll like it", he said smiling.

Inside was a handmade photoframe with all of our pics arranged together. The ones when we had just met to the ones where we were rubbing cake on each other's face.

That was the most precious gift of all and I've placed it right beside my bed where I can see it everytime I wake up.

And that day of dream ended with a very sweet kiss and lots of promises and hopes that such days will come soon enough....

Maybe tomorrow...

© 2008 Enigma


Author's Note

Enigma
Hey! Ignore the errors. I typed it directly over here and am way too tired to check it. Don't worry, I'll edit it in a day or two...
Hope you enjoyed it. Lolz...
I'm turning romantic for sure...hehehe

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wonderful piece of writing. I really enjoyed it. For some reason, I've not read much of your work for a couple of months, so I notice a remarkable improvement, particularly as you say you still need to edit. Just one point to remember, I see you've done it all the way through. When writing dialogue, for example:

"Do you like it?", he said.

You don't need the comma. There should be no punctuation after the quote marks as in:

"Do you like it?" he said.

"Oh! I love it," I replied.

The same with your thoughts. Treat the words as if they are conversation.

So this is your "romantic side." I like it... makes me wonder if you are in love...I hope so, just so that you write more like this. Well done!



Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I really like it, I'm going to link it to my facebook!! It really is good.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

oh so romantic,yes a gift from a lover ,a dream lover ,then turns out he has other plans where we do not fit in ,so its a shock of love lost and we thought and dreamed of ,a heart break,oh i wish ,i always wished ,but i was wrong,then things turns back again ,yes we were right ,its love and its still there ,the joy ,happiness engulfing ,oh love sweet love ,there is always this bitterness untill you really show and brightens all,i loved this all to the last word ,just wonderful,good work

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

oh, yes, Siya! this is such an excellent write....you did a spendid job on it, despite the errors. i love the way you did this and i did enjoy it very much. thanks for sharing it with us. :)

Always,

Amanda

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This was a very beautiful story!
It kept me wanting to see what would happen next, and i never got bored with it.
So romantic and sweet, I loved the ending.
Overall it was really good, you should do romance more often!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Siya! Hey, sorry I didn't read this earlier, I was on a trip to Italy! The story was beaaaaaaaaaaautiful. And obviously you have tons of fans! Spelling really doesn't matter if its something you love, and is so inspiring. I really hope to hear from you soon.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

"I can't be at more peace" Maybe I can't be more at peace (it sounds better to me, I know you said to ignore it but hey, i want to be helpful :D)

"He has a faded purple sweatshirt and brown pajamas pulled over his atheletic frame." you could make it more showing us instead of telling us by just changing it to "His faded purple sweatshirt and brown pajamas were pulled tightly over his athletic frame."

Wow, this was completely beautiful... I loved it, Now i'm going to hit you for making me want a man lol... I really did like this, It shows how much you have grew as a writer. Some more errors but the ones i pointed out were the most evident to me. One thing i keep telling people is that you need to show us and not tell us. You know? Any way, amazing. Great Job!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

i like this story a lot

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wonderful piece of writing. I really enjoyed it. For some reason, I've not read much of your work for a couple of months, so I notice a remarkable improvement, particularly as you say you still need to edit. Just one point to remember, I see you've done it all the way through. When writing dialogue, for example:

"Do you like it?", he said.

You don't need the comma. There should be no punctuation after the quote marks as in:

"Do you like it?" he said.

"Oh! I love it," I replied.

The same with your thoughts. Treat the words as if they are conversation.

So this is your "romantic side." I like it... makes me wonder if you are in love...I hope so, just so that you write more like this. Well done!



Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

it's wonderful..it's every girls dream :D i love that she had a dream and she only got a small part of what really happened. it's such a sweet story..i love your romantic side :D hope to see more writing (romantic or not) in the future a lot more! i really love reading your work.
tarasov

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ahhhh i loved it made me super jealous i wish i had a girl to be romantic with!!!!! ahhhh this was such an enjoyable read thanks so much for sharing ur a might i add a brilliant writer!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

491 Views
18 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on August 29, 2008

Author

Enigma
Enigma

India



About
Hi, I'm Preeti. Nice to meet you! I found this place around the same time I found my love for writing. To be honest, it was a time back when I could write. And I did, oh so much. I found words to b.. more..

Writing
I See You I See You

A Poem by Enigma


Secrets Secrets

A Poem by Enigma


Weather Songs Weather Songs

A Poem by Enigma



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Killing Love Killing Love

A Poem by Enigma


Anxiety Anxiety

A Poem by Annalisa