INB 5 - Soul Stealing Eyes

INB 5 - Soul Stealing Eyes

A Chapter by Persona
"

Miranda and Jesus are finally alone! Maybe he can wriggle his way into her heart. Or ruin all his chances. I guess you'll have to read and find out!

"

Miranda flicks the phone's lid shut, popping it back in her apron. She comes back and sits with me.

 

I ask, nonchalantly, "So who was that?" Please don't be another catch!

 

"Well, unlike you, my partner's real. His name's Nick. He's really nice you should meet him-" And there it is. Why does she have to keep talking about him? Her lips keep racing as fast as a formula one car. I can't hear anymore. I can't bear anymore! I can feel my fake smile fading. My nodding and 'hmm-mms' have ceased. I need to go.

 

"-And ah, you should've seen his family. I met them last week and they were really pleasant - except for his uncle. But the rest of them-"

 

I interrupt, "Um, I'm so sorry, your boyfriend sounds great. I just really need the toilet."

 

 

"Wait, we can still do this!" Biff whizzes around me - midair, "They're not married - it's only a boyfriend. And she was really into you. She's been flirting all night! She even asked if you had a girlfriend!"

 

I lift my head out my hands, "I don't know anymore. The Devil's won."

 

Sitting in the stall, hiding from the world, I hear the door swing open again. Instead of a hefty footed person, the steps are dainty, light. The tap runs, the sounds of someone splashing water in their face. A very feminine sigh is just about audible. I raise my eyebrows.

 

Biff crosses his arms, shaking his head, "Oh Jesus...."

 

"No - it's Guy."

 

He tugs on my ear, "Are we in the right place?"

 

"Yeah, I walked into the toilet that had a man wearing a robe on it."

 

Biff flies to face me, "Did you come in this toilet before?"

 

"Hmm, now that I think about it, it did seem odd that there were no urinals on the walls..."

 

"Hello?" A voice quivers, hesitant. I may've whispered too loudly. Without a response, the sounds of the woman pulling paper towels from the wall are louder than mine and Biff's whispering.

 

"So how do you want to go about this?" I ask, Biff rubbing his hands together, planning. Misjudging the way the woman dries her hands, she stops for a moment at the end of my whisper.

 

"Is anyone in there? Are you alright?" It's Miranda's voice. 

Trying to be as quiet as possible, I stay absolutely still, breathing slow, long, silent breaths. I'm sweating on my forehead down to my back and all the way to the hairs on my toes. Biff sees me, looking like a deer caught in the headlights. He leans, advising me, "Don't."

 

 "Yes," I squeak.

 

Under his breath, Biff says, "Goddamnit."

 

There's a moment of silence, before Miranda utters, "Sorry to disturb you," opening the toilet door and leaving a draft in her wake.

 

"Yes! It worked!" I cheer.

 

"She's a bit dim," Biff says.

 

"Dim? No, I'm just good at fooling people!"

 

"No - the Devil is good at fooling people. You couldn't fool a child into thinking the sky was blue."

 

"The sky is-"

 

"God, regardless, if Miranda's not that bright - we can easily get her."

 

And the Devil won't get me. 

 

I make my way back to my table. Miranda grabs her coat, "Oh Guy, I'm kind of leaving work now so..."

 

Biff tugs at my ear, "It means she wants you to go with her."

 

Oh. "Yeah, Miranda, sure. Where to?"

 

She smiles, "Oh you want to come. Well I guess it's a little dark outside. You may as well walk me home. Where do you live?" She asks, walking out the door.

 

"Uhh...where do you live?"

 

She looks confused, "I live about 20 minutes away. I love working at Forenzo's because it's so close and such a nice environment."

 

Forenzo's. I turn around and look at the restaurant's sign. That's another way I have to adapt. I need to learn the names of places.

 

"You didn't tell me where you lived." Miranda states, curiously looking at me.

 

"I've only just moved here. I still don't remember the address. I'm not good with names. Like your boyfriend's - I've got no clue."

 

Miranda's starting to give me this look. The 'Are you a crazy murderer?' look. I understand her suspicion. I mean, look at me - a guy in his late 20s at a fancy place on his own whom won't tell her where he lives? People always suspect the loners. Although, in most cases I've found the scariest murderers to be the ones with many friends - as they can pretend to be nice and then one day they just flip a switch. I guess there are a lot of things I know from people watching.

 

"Nick. Like the TV channel Nickelodeon?  Or the American Nickel? Or Nike? What will help you to remember?"

 

"Wow. Actually I think any one of those will help me to remember. That's a great technique. Let's see...my road's straight, right, up the hill..."

 

"Oh! Blackadder road! Got you." Miranda nods, eyes squinting joyfully, as if she's decided I'm not crazy. What a relief.

 

"So how do I remember Blackadder road?" I ask, keen. I don't feel lost. Wait - I felt lost. How can I avoid that? Of course. Let her do all the talking. Why hadn't I thought of that?

 

"The Black Adder snake."

 

Hmm, she is brilliant. Biff's wrong. She's smart. And not a 5; especially with her hair down. Did he see her hair down? Hold on - why isn't he trying to help me?

 

"Azzoo.." Right. Why is he always sleeping when I need help?!

 

"It's a beautiful night, isn't it?" Miranda says, looking up at the sky and its twinkling stars.

 

"Absolutely." That's right - agree with her. Maybe yawn and put your arm around - wait. No, that's at the cinema. Oh, why do I have to second guess myself?

 

"I wish it was like this all the time. But when it is, I'm working. That job, it's from 9 till 7. Work hours are getting longer these days. I barely get a break! At least I can go home to Nick." She sighs, a soft, reminiscent sigh.

 

"You live with him." A statement of shock. She's making this harder. Let's think the list so far...

 

1) Atheist

 

2) Boyfriend

 

3) I have a week and she's moved in with him and met his family and I only have 7 DAYS!

 

Calm. Maybe this didn't seem so bad at first, but like Biff said, they're not married. Knowing my luck, he'll propose.

 

"Guy, Guy, you're daydreaming." She elbows me.

 

"Oh sorry." I hadn't realised.

 

"I've been talking for nearly a minute and you haven't responded."

 

"Right, repeat it for me?"

 

"Hmm, nah. If I'm not interesting enough for you, why should I repeat myself?" She raises an eyebrow.

 

"Miranda, you're right. Were you on about how you moved in with Nick? I'm interested, I promise. I'm just a bit distracted."

 

"Oh? By what?"

 

We turn right, as in the route I suggested for my house. Oh crud. What if Blackadder road is closer to us than Miranda's?

Make something up. Make it awkward so that she has to leave you alone..."Well, you know how you asked about a girlfriend?"

 

"Yeah?" She looks concerned, sympathetic.

 

"I kind of had one." Lies. Unless I go on about Mary Magdalene. Yes, I can do that. We met in Jerusalem and...oops. How will I explain when we were separated and not having a mobile phone or any at all? Got to keep this simple. A lie will have to do.

 

"Her name was Dev." Oh this is bad. I should've said Natalie. Why didn't I say Natalie? "Dev was a tall, sexy red head. She had these amazing eyes. The kind that can steal your soul."

 

Miranda's intrigued. Great - I'm convincing her. Technically it is true; the Devil does have soul stealing eyes....just not in the good way. "But it wasn't just what she looked like. She had this passion, this desire, to do the best she could for others. She loved people. She wanted to run a cake shop and sell colourful little cupcakes - the kind you can eat in one bite."

 

Miranda's not interrupted yet. Just a quick breath, I have to think of something! "She was always sharing. She wasn't afraid to bring friends together after a fight and she never took sides - but was always faithful, and forever loyal to me. I was her world. She put me first. We trusted each other so much. She really was the perfect woman."

 

Miranda just stares at me, "That's incredible." She places a hand on my shoulder, her head tilted. Her hair swishes as she stops us, and turns me to face her. We stand here, utterly alone, not a car passing. "It's gonna be hard for you to find another girl like that. But, what happened?"

 

I almost forget my whole tale, just staring at those big eyes. They seem sweet, innocent like a child's. It should be easy for me to steal her away. She makes conversations so easy. Being here, the two of us, it's the perfect romantic setting. All I need to do is guide her somewhere with flowers or to a rainy spot and let the water drench...no this is not a romcom. Okay, think clearly. Just be normal.

 

"She's..gone. It's been a year now, and I'm just feeling like I've passed that stage of grief. That's why I decided to get out today, to clean myself up. I had a haircut and managed to get out of the house, and now I've met you," I smile broadly, "meeting you was the best part."

 

"Yeah," Miranda looks to her left, at the path ahead. I can tell she wants to move on. Her feet are shifting a little, but I don't want to go anywhere. "Me too. I think we're gonna be great friends, Guy."

 

And cue the stab in the chest. My fault. Should've realised I didn't take my chance. I can still move this out of the friend zone, "Can you dump your guy for me?"

 

Oops. I didn't mean it like that.

 

Miranda looks worried, "Woah, you're just walking with me." Her eyes stay on me as she starts walking faster, ahead, trying to get away from me.

 

"I know, I didn't mean it!" I bite my lip. I think I might look desperate. She whips her head round, looking back at me. Her reaction looks like she just tasted something awful. "Miranda! I'm not trying anything! It was one question! I was just asking!" I'm running. When did that happen? I shouldn't be chasing her. That might look a bit scary. It looks like I should be holding up a big knife...no, this isn't a horror. Why do I keep thinking of films?

 

I've caught up with her. She sighs, her shoulders slumping, "Why? I've told you things with Nick are good. God this is so annoying, URG! All the years I was an ugly duckling at school and wished I could have two guys at once and yet no one ever came, and, and, ugh! Why now? I finally met someone great and then" she thrusts her hand out towards me, "and then bam, I meet someone else who's great. It's not fair!"

 

I wasn't expecting this. Miranda, standing in front of me, almost collapsing under her own nervous energy. Did I really cause this? I don't want to be the one to make her act this way. In some ways I don't believe her when she says things with Nick are good. If so, then why is she walking home with me? Okay, I kind of invited myself. Looking around, it's all me really. The oak trees swaying softly in the lightest breeze, just making her hair cover her eyes that tiniest bit...but she isn't standing there whipping her hair or gazing at me in a sultry way. I need to learn how to communicate with someone who isn't threatening nor a follower.

 

Times have changed - all too much. I think I should calm her down. But I don't know how. I won't allow myself to be a fool again - no opening up my heart. No woman is the same. I have to apply that rule. Miranda isn't Mary Magdalene.

 

The wind. If only it could carry us away. Carry me and Miranda up to the skies and that in just one night I could win her to my side - the side of righteousness. How could I do that? Okay, time to stop asking myself stupid pointless questions! It's time to ask Miranda stupid pointless questions. "Wh..what? Explain?"

 

She opens her mouth, then reconsiders, her shy eyes looking down left. She stares at the pavement and takes a deep breath. I want Miranda, but will we understand each other? I mean, it's one thing to think she's stunning and sweet but another to actually know who she is.

 

I shouldn't have signed that contract. I hate myself. All my worshippers should be ashamed of me. I can't stick to any promises. I couldn't really save anyone. I can't even save myself from embarrassment. Oh, she's talking. Listen. Just listen. Don't do anything else - don't psyche yourself out, Jesus. You've already done it.

 

"Guy," Miranda begins to twiddle her thumbs. She looks so lost. I want to reach out a hand and help her, to make her see the truth on this beautiful, warm night. I want her to feel my cheek, its new-found softness, and gaze longingly into my eyes. I know she won't do it - I know she'll shy away. Poor Miranda. It's almost like she gives this confident air in Forenzo's, but outside of work she's more like an inexperienced teenager. Biff was wrong. She's not stupid. She just hasn't seen everything. But I have. I could show her everything from the clouds - show her the true humanity - from the walked upon housewives to the fully fledged murderers. I could show her extremes and mild variations in human behaviour.

 

I know what I have to do though. I've seen enough crazy women from the sky to know that Miranda needs to do all the talking.

 

Finally, she has something to say, "Nuh..nevermind. I'm just gonna go." On the last two words, she begins to step backwards and then turns round. She lets me watch her walk away, slowly, her feet thumping the ground with every step, as if she's defeated. I'm confused. She was supposed to reveal all her feelings. Did she? She said I was great. That was a compliment. I smile to myself. That would be good enough for now.

 

POP! I spin round. What the hell was that? Oh me no.. I can't deal with this right now. Even if I have the tiniest sliver of a victory she comes along and destroys my hopes. The Devil. I just know she's coming along to plant ideas in my head. She's going to undo my confidence without Biff and twist it into a weakness.

 

The smoke sizzles up, even spitting into the air like a sprinkler. The fiery pits of hell rumble as they shake like the ground forcing an earthquake, splitting the ground in half. The Devil makes her entrance, running slender fingers through her hair as she makes her way up her elaborate staircase. She reaches the top, stepping out onto the ground. As she stares at me, I watch the stairwell shrink and contort unnaturally, the ground sewing itself back together like cotton wool as the last coughs of fire escape into the atmosphere.

 

The Devil is now level with me, standing a distance of two feet away. I wouldn't want her any closer.

 

"Why are you here?" I ask, impatient.

 

"To watch you squirm." She stands, almost triumphant, on the short grass. She's only too happy to stand in someone's front garden. She never respected anyone. 

 

"You didn't see what just happened did you?" Is she toying with me? No, I won't doubt myself. At least not in her presence. I have to ignore her intimidating arrival and her scary eyes. I have to look to beauty at this moment. Miranda. My loophole for making money. Meeting nice people - like Natalie. I miss her. I miss Miranda more. Can she see the Devil?

 

I glance back over my shoulder. Miranda's long gone.

 

The Devil begins to circle me, like an animal hunting its prey, "It truly was enjoyable. Especially the perplexed look on your face as she ran off. I bet you think it was her just being weird for no apparent reason."

 

I look down, "Well I thought-"

 

"Shh," she thrusts a finger at my lips, stopping in front of me. "You're wrong, honey." She shakes her head, "She doesn't like you. But don't worry - you've got 6 more days. And that's lots of time. We know the good guys always win. Like how you won last time." She smirks.

 

"You know I didn't win last time!" I shout, almost spitting in her face. If only I could hit her. God hitting the Devil. In most cases my followers would think that was great. How would they feel though if they knew the Devil was a woman? A delicate looking one at that. Oh why'd she make me think of last time. That's a cold dark place that I'm struggling to push to the back of my mind. No, it's coming back and I can't, but I need to fight it...

 

I grab my wrist. Flashbacks hit.

 

On cross.. everyone watching....head shakes left to right, my screams are silent - my throat is too sore. It has been too long. They keep torturing. It never ends. The cross...it gives me splinters. I can barely feel them. I feel the hammering of the nails into my veins. 'OUCH!' I grumble, a slight voice trying to escape. Nothing can escape. I will be trapped against this forever. The townspeople mock me. They enjoy my pain. I struggle...why is breathing so... damn...hard? I can't fight. I'm sleepy. The pain's only stinging now. My mouth. It's dry. My lips have dried and bled. My eyes. They are sealing themselves closed. They cannot watch the piercing of my wrists much longer. The sights will be etched into my mind. They will stay there. Now, now the ghost. My ghost is coming. My body is easing. My shaking, my flopping body is becoming lifeless. It has stopped moving, though I urge it on. My thoughts - they are going. They leave. No life. Left. Only sacrifice...

 

The Devil snaps her fingers in front of my eyes, "God? God? Listen to me!"

 

My eyes hold a blank expression, but as I remember today, 2012, I feel them shift to hers.

 

"Oh, poor boy," She twirls her hair, "It's not like I'm going to take you down to hell and tie you up and hoist your body over my three head pet." She shrugs her shoulder.

 

I stare, petrified. I imagine it - a giant dog - three mouths snapping and deep growls as it leaps up at me. My feet, dangling inches about the dog's nose. 6 days. I will do this in 6 days.

 

"You still have a chance. There aren't that many obstacles." She begins to count them off her fingers, "Just that she's unavailable, you're awkward in conversation and oo! Let's not forget that you have a religious barrier between you. Oo, this is so fun! Aren't you having fun, God?"

 

I don't answer. I just watch her happily smile and looking in almost every direction and her confident gesturing. 

 

"But oh, yes, back to what I'll do to you - or not - if you win. Ha!" I know what she's thinking. 'Like that'll happen.'

 

"My little pet, contrary to belief, isn't called 'Cerberus.' Manny is a very well trained boy and around 4o foot at the shoulder. I'm sure you're dying to meet him." The Devil whispers, almost so quietly that I can't hear, "And when you meet him, you will die. Permanently."

 

The Devil sniggers to herself, covering her mouth with her hand. Her body moves a little with the snigger, until her laughter rises into full blown hysterics. She backs away from me, out from the moon's light and into the shadows. The short grass grows around her ankles and knots itself around her. The Devil suddenly stops laughing and stares at me. Her eyes blaze, as her red shoes being to burn the grass - so much so - that the fire erodes the grass and the ground beneath it, until a fully formed circle under the Devil is revealed.

 

She slowly raises her pale arm, her red, pointed finger nail extending to me, she whispers, "I'll be back for you," and sensually, slowly winks.

 

She then raises both arms and the fire from hell shoots out from the ground. It's a flash - the fire is there, and then it isn't. I walk to the spot. The grass and the ground have returned - as if the Devil was never truly here. 



© 2012 Persona


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

421 Views
Added on June 7, 2012
Last Updated on June 17, 2012
Tags: Devil, God, Miranda, love, cute, embarrassing, lie


Author

Persona
Persona

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom



About
I really appreciate people who review and will happily return the favour. Look at 'Make a Move' as I am primarily a story writer. I give honest reviews because I want to help people improve their w.. more..

Writing
Make a Move Make a Move

A Story by Persona