Sid and Nancy

Sid and Nancy

A Chapter by Ronnie Smith

           The kids at school knew who they were, and most knew to stay as far away from them as they possibly could. It was considered courageous (what an outrageous thought) to approach any of them, and even more so to join them. All who were considered ‘good’ did their best to avoid any team member--yet there were also those who didn’t mind, with the mentality of “as long as I don’t get into danger, I’ll always be fine with it.”

            Darian generally had a strong (very strong) distaste for humanity, but found he cared about a good number of people. He sat in the library with Kaiya, Ronnie, Nathan, Nathaniel, Brandon, and James, Brandon’s older brother. As much as James wanted to be a part of the crime, he didn’t want to be on either team because that would either mean teaming up with his brother or getting beaten by Kaiya, which didn’t come to his favor.

            “Honestly, your new recruits aren’t the best choices,” Nathan commented. This was true. Kaiya couldn’t deny it.

            “I know. I guess it’s my fault for not talking them out of it. They’re not criminal material in the least bit.”

            Ronnie poked her head out from behind a bookshelf (holding The Vampire Lestat) to chime in, “They really are not. We need to kick them out of the gang. Like, before tomorrow.”

            Kaiya leaned on Brandon, who held a solemn look. A small part of him secretly wished none of this had to happen.

            “Like I keep saying, I know,” she said, “And I’ll get to it. I don’t want them to get hurt, or worse, killed. You know how things can get… unfair.”

            “Like crowbars,” Nathaniel mumbled, more to himself. James sighed as he sorted through papers (he was the librarian’s student assistant).

            “I’m just a little surprised you got Kenny on the Ravens. It seemed he’d be better suited to the Scarecrows… but hey, that’s a lucky plus for you. He’ll be the backbone of brutal for you.”

            Darian said, “I guess. It’ll be interesting to see his cool persona change.”

            The bell rang, and they rose from their spots to walk out and to their classes. And though they knew they weren’t supposed to be friends, all seven of them walked out together with their arms around each other.

 

            Damian opened his locker, deep in thought as always--he was a sort of Plato or Socrates in his own right, and could always be found with a concentrated look on his face. He didn’t see Ronnie that morning, so maybe he’d be safe from--

            Hey!”

            He winced as an Asian was launched onto his back. The usual cheerful grin was plastered on her face.

            “What’s up?” He bit his lip at her enthusiasm. He wondered, with a bit of dark humor, how her face would look after tomorrow.

            “Um. Nothing. You’re going to be late, you know.”

            She shrugged. Carelessness was a critical characteristic of hers that usually got her into a lot of trouble. “I can be late, I got time. I just want a hug.”

            He moved in to embrace her, making it as warm a hug as he could, so that she would remember that he still cared about her.

            “See you!” He frowned a little as she pulled away so suddenly, walking away with Ashley.

            See you.

 

            Ashley stood next to Ronnie as her friend went through her locker.

            “To be honest,” Ash began, “As much as I look forward to tomorrow, I’m just a bit scared.”

            “I think most of us are…. Well, save for the tough guys.” Ronnie shut her locker door. “There’s never actually been a battle worse than the next. It’s all been the same each time. We’ll be fine.”

            At that moment, Billy walked past them with his friends. He gave the girls a single curt nod, looked away and continued down the hall. After a few moments Ashley spoke again.

            “Remember when he socked me in the gut?”

          Ronnie laughed; she remembered quite well. “Yes. Yes, I do. I think he felt just a little bad, don’t you think?”

            Ash became a toddler. “NO, I think he liked doing that… It’s not funny!”

            “You know he doesn’t mean it. I don’t think any of them do…. Nevermind, actually Mikaela and Gabe mean it.” Ronnie turned towards her Orchestra classroom, which was right next to Ash’s Chorus class. “Hey, I’ll see you then.”

            “Alright. Bye.”

            Ronnie walked into the noisy room. A date with the violin sounded quite relaxing at the moment.

 

            All the Scarecrows gathered in the warehouse that night. Discussions were obsolete, so the place was mainly a hangout area. Mikaela played games with Nathan and Elizabeth, Gabe chatted with Bratcher and Mark, Richie and Billy played their guitars. It was a little thing they did before a brawl to chill. The Ravens were supposed to show up as well; it appeared they were quite late.

            Damian set his drink down to go look outside. If they didn’t show up soon, he’d have to lock everything up.

            “Dame, are they here yet?” Gabe called. Dame did not answer, looking out with a hawk’s concentration. Relief came over him as he saw their rivals approaching.

            “Yes, they’re here.”

            The crazy started right then and there. Loud music blared--it was a load of noise, but as far as they were concerned it was okay. They were just teenagers. Drinks were passed around. Logan, Lindsey, Josh and Skyler were quite uncomfortable with that part, but nonetheless tried to have fun in the secular environment. Because of the newcomers the drugs were forgotten… but the next time it would be a surprise.

            Damian and Kaiya called everyone’s attention about an hour later. This was another part of the routine, an important part; the essential reminder they all needed before the future events. They all knowingly sat down to follow through.

            “Alright,” Kaiya began, “we all know what’s going to conspire tomorrow. We all know the results. And we all know what we are about to say right now, so grab each other’s shoulders and let’s begin. Newcomers, you don’t have to say it with us, just listen.”

            They all listened and touched their neighbor’s shoulders, then chanted:

 

            In battle, we forget all ties

            And focus on all the lies

            We will not show mercy

            Upon the enemy

            But know who we are

            And not to get too far.”

 

            Damian hugged Kaiya and said, “I think we all know what we’re getting into. Tonight we are friends, but tomorrow we are solid enemies.”

            Brandon took Kaiya’s hand and walked her outside of the warehouse. He took her by the waist and kissed her, the alcohol strong on their lips.

 

            You and I will be together

            Like Sid and Nancy, Sid and Nancy

            And we’ll never live to retirement,

            Like Sid and Nancy, Sid and Nancy.

 



© 2013 Ronnie Smith


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

161 Views
Added on November 28, 2013
Last Updated on November 28, 2013


Author

Ronnie Smith
Ronnie Smith

Pheonix, AZ



About
I love writing, reading, drawing, and even trying to draw clothes designs. I love Jesus and dearly all my friends and family. I believe that forgiveness and love is the key to everything good. It's .. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Ronnie Smith


Drava Drava

A Book by Ronnie Smith


Teams Teams

A Chapter by Ronnie Smith