Christmas Cheer

Christmas Cheer

A Story by S. L. Ganier
"

This is a very short story about the Timor family Christmas... and how things aren't always as cheerful as they may seem.

"

 

                         S. L. Ganier

 Christmas Cheer

 

It was the most wonderful time of the year once again. The large plastic tree that sat in the middle of the living room was covered with ornaments and a surplus of very bright and shiny objects. The gifts were wrapped perfectly inch by inch, with each red box securely fastened by their very own tight green ribbon. There were stockings that had appeared to be filled to the top hanging on the mantle. The shades were strategically set in front of the windows so that there would be just enough sunlight hitting this wonderful scene. The living room was now the exact image that Mr. Timor had envisioned in his head.

    “You guys up yet?” exclaimed Mr. Timor as he looked up the stairway. “Come on down, it’s time!”

    Neil walked down the stairs slowly, trying to hide the excitement that has built up inside of him just a few days prior. His two sisters, both wearing their purple and pink pajamas ran past him and slid down the wooden railway. Neil followed them shortly and turned the corner to see the magnificent Christmas scene that his father had set up during the night. Despite the scene on the outside, Neil’s gut told him something wasn’t right.

    “Okay,” said Mr. Timor. “I need you guys to stand right there.”

    Neil followed his sisters slowly as he stood in place with them for the Timor children Christmas picture. He was smiling as he waited next to his two sisters, both of which were taller than him. A few minutes had passed while the half-forced smiles began to feel pasted upon the children’s faces. The bristles of the plastic tree were beginning to sting Neil’s hand. Then it happened. The color of the scene didn’t seem so colorful anymore.

    “No, no, no.” Mr. Timor waltzed over to the children and moved Neil’s head. “You guys, move over a little so the tree is right behind you.”

    They did as they were told. Then they did as they were told again. Five minutes later, they did what they had been told once again. Six minutes passed and again another order came out of the man’s mouth.

    “Can we just take the picture already?” asked Neil’s sister. “I wanna open the presents.”

    “You know what?” yelled Mr. Timor as he paused for a few minutes. “I put all of this together and you guys can’t even take a picture right? Fine, the hell with this.”

    There was one thing and one thing alone on Neil’s mind. He could feel the tingle move across his spine as his mind ventured into the notion that something bad was going to happen. Another event gone wrong in the Timor family. Neil just stood and watched as his father grunted and mumbled and his sister argued with him more and more. Neil knew that anytime soon, something would be thrown in his direction. It’s always happened in the past, and it was no big surprise. He just stood with his mouth closed, waiting with his other sister as the shivers soon surrounded his entire body. He waited for the split second when something would come flying across the room, projected by the hands of the man that used to be his father just a few minutes ago. Anytime now.

 

© 2008 S. L. Ganier


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

156 Views
Added on April 4, 2008

Author

S. L. Ganier
S. L. Ganier

Riverside, CA



About
I enjoy writing more than I enjoy most of the other activities that I participate in. Between work and school there's not much time... but I still find it somehow. I enjoy reading other people's works.. more..

Writing
The Water The Water

A Stage Play by S. L. Ganier