The Fall

The Fall

A Story by S. L. Ganier
"

The literal scene is that a boy is sick in the Fall and receives advice from an older woman on how to get well. The metaphorical meaning is that this boy is inexperienced in love and that this older (more experienced) woman tries to give positive regards.

"

S. L. Ganier

The Fall

 

 

“You haven’t been taking care of the yard,” the woman said. “Is it because you’re sick?”

    The boy slowly walked over to the window. The walls inside the house were painted blue. Most of the furniture in the living room was red. He sat down on one of the chairs and closed his eyes. Then he put his head down. “Yeah.”

    “It’s okay. Don’t worry about it until you’re feeling better.” The woman walked down the hall and began to pick up the mess that was in the family room. “You’ve been sick for a while. Have you been taking them?”

    “Which one?” the boy said. “I’ve been taking so many of them, but none of ‘em work. All the ones I’ve been taking only make me fall asleep and then I feel worse because I slept through the day.”

    “Look out that window,” the woman said as she walked from the family room to the kitchen. “Trust me, you’re not missing anything.”

    “But there’re so many things I have to get done.”

    “What?” the woman said as she walked through the door in the kitchen leading to the living room. “Look at you, you look so tired. Just sleep.”

    “I don’t want to sleep anymore.” The boy slowly stood up. “Even when I’m awake I feel like I’m not doing anything.”

    “Look around and see if you can find one that you haven’t taken before.” The woman looked out the window. “Maybe you’ll find one that’ll keep you awake and make you feel well enough to do your work.”

    “All of them are the same though.”

    “They are not all the same. One of them’s bound to make you feel better.”

    The boy walked into the kitchen. The woman closed the curtains to the window. She stood still with her back against the wall. “Too bad you got sick right now. Late fall is when we’re all busy… you’re going to have a lot of catching up to do.”

    “I’ve been sick, remember?” the boy said from the kitchen. “How long will it last?”

    “It’ll go away soon, I’m sure.”

    “Why are you so sure?”

    “Trust me,” the woman said. She sat down in the same chair the boy was sitting in earlier. “I just know. It’ll go by faster if you would just-”

    “I’ll tell you what,” the boy said. “Can you find one that you think would work for me? You seem to know what would help me.”

    “Well tell me what you’ve tried. Sometimes what works for someone might not work for others.” The woman stood up. “What’re you doing in there anyways?”

    “I found some hot cocoa packets. I haven’t had hot cocoa for such a long time. You want some?”

© 2008 S. L. Ganier


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
MCS
I feel like I've read this before, I believe I have and yes I like it...I like it very much. I believe that this has been written on personal experience..drawing me closer to you...the writer.

Posted 16 Years Ago


Nice work, the dialogue was very natural. You painted a very vivid picture with your words.

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

169 Views
2 Reviews
Added on April 4, 2008

Author

S. L. Ganier
S. L. Ganier

Riverside, CA



About
I enjoy writing more than I enjoy most of the other activities that I participate in. Between work and school there's not much time... but I still find it somehow. I enjoy reading other people's works.. more..

Writing
The Water The Water

A Stage Play by S. L. Ganier