Tears of Angels

Tears of Angels

A Story by SnowCat

'Do angels weep for the misery that has come to rule earth? Is that why it has been raining so much lately?' she thought to herself as she walked down the road with small steps, trying to avoid the huge puddles formed everywhere.


Above, the velvety clouds seemed only to get darker and darker, leaving no way for the feeble sun rays to pass through. A storm was coming and yet, despite the rolling thunder, everything around Theia seemed so peaceful as she made her way forward.


'Are we drowning in their crystalline tears? And if so, why do they taste bitter instead of sweet?'


As she advanced, she tried not to take notice of the dead landscape, the ruined houses scattered in hundreds of pieces, the deadly howling of the wind, the lonely cry of a dog. She stopped for a second and sat on a nearby rock, taking out the little piece of bread she had left from yesterday's meal. Food was really hard to come by these days. Just as she was about to put it in her mouth, a little shabby dog came out from between the ruins of what had formerly been a house and watched her from a distance. She reached out, but it backed away. She took a step forward and he cowered, shivering.  At that, Theia stopped and after giving the piece of bread a long stare, tore it in half and threw a part of it to the dog, Dean she would later come to call him and then sat back down again. After a while, Dean came forward and grabbed the piece of bread and swallowed it down in less than two seconds. She ate her piece in silence. After lightning, came thunder.


That night, as she hid inside a hollow tree, hugging her knees tighter to her chest, it came again, shy at first. She could not see well through the curtain of falling rain, but enough to recognize the same dog she had fed earlier that day.


"Come on in! There's room for one more," she said.


"Come on boy! There's nothing to be scared of! I promise you!"


Slowly, with hesitant steps Dean came in, shaking his wet fur before huddling close next to Theia. The night was terrible. The wind called the names of all those who had passed and it seemed as if the sun would never rise again. Death made its way among the remains of humanity. She swan through troubled nightmares as she sought the light of day. All the way, Dean was there with her.  She awoke startled as bits of cold water splashed her face. The majestic tree that had provided them with shelter last night was no longer standing straight, but it had been ripped in half and now lay on its side. Dean was nowhere to be seen so, a little disappointed to have lost her companion, she stood up and taking no notice of her growling tummy, started walking. Somewhere along the way, Theia saw Dean again running towards her with what must have been someone’s boot dangling from his mouth, tail wagging.


“After all we’ve been through, you still wanna play? Is it not enough that our whole life has become a game of dice? Huh? We lost everything!! We have to live like rats eating dirt and walking all day long so the water will not catch up with us! And you feel like playing!” she yelled. The dog looked down, whining a little as he let go of the boot.


“I’m sorry. Come here boy,” Theia said, scratching Dean behind his ears.


“Huh, I suppose we can play for a while. Who’s boot was this, I wonder?” she did not continue that sentence out loud but still, the thought was there. She was one of the few people left alive in this area. That boot could have belonged to any one of her friends…


The forest floor was mushy from all the water but she trudged on, trying to keep up with her dog who had picked up the boot and started running back to where he had come from. Theia could remember the healthy green the woods had once been, before disaster hit the earth. She could still recall when the peacefulness of nature had given her strength, now it just gave her the creeps. There was no sound except for the one made by her feet and the dripping of water on the leaves. Nothing. She walked in silence, keeping an eye on Dean.


The night was coming again and Theia feared what that meant. She had no idea where they could take shelter this time and what was worse, she could hardly see Dean anymore, what with the falling blanked of darkness. She stumbled on for what seemed like ages, following a shadow that once in a while paused in it’s way to look back after her.


Hunger and weariness overtook her. Walking became hard…even breathing took too much energy. She fell to her knees, exhausted and didn’t even try to stop herself from falling face down in the mud. The last thing she remembered before her eyes closed was a wet tongue licking her cheek and a pair of feet approaching. One of which was missing a boot.


After lightning came thunder and then darkness.

© 2012 SnowCat


Author's Note

SnowCat
This is my 1st story after more than 1 year of painful writer's block...hope it isn't too boring. Lately it has been raining a lot here so finally I found the muse I was looking for.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Post Review

Think Sir Derek Jacobi http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVrOT5sJefw

Posted 11 Years Ago


I felt this to be more of a larger piece that would be done on stage. It has more of a spoken a loud effect than most stories, if you considered making this a stage spoken word piece it would be very powerful.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

324 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 28, 2012
Last Updated on May 29, 2012
Tags: Nature, Pain, Animals, Adventure, Description, Sad