The Lighthouse Witch

The Lighthouse Witch

A Story by Adam M. Snow
"

This story was based on a dream I once had. I haven't written a short story in almost 10 years.

"
 

Back before I started poetry, for a short time I wrote short stories. I haven’t written a short story in almost ten years, so I thought I’d give it another shot again, after having this weird dream. So this story was all an actual dream I had just few days ago. I woke up one night after having this dream, I thought it was the weirdest dream yet it intrigued me to write it into a story. This story is that dream with every detail I remembered from that night.


 

The Lighthouse Witch

Written by Adam M. Snow

 

The sun was setting on the sea; I was alone wandering for inspiration. I might’ve searched days-on-end, but all I found was nothing. I was just about to give up hope when an old rugged building had caught my eye. It was an old lighthouse and it appeared to be abandoned. It was built on a small mile long island, just a few miles off shore. I had to get a closer look; it had tickled my fancy.

 

The raging sea feared me not, as I climbed into an old rotten row boat. I rowed the best I could, against these crashing tides; the smashing into rocks had caused me to capsize. I held on for dear life, as the waves guide me to that island shore. I passed-out there for a bit, just few minutes’ tops. I awoke soaking wet, I walked to that lighthouse. Believing it was empty, I had to take a closer look inside. I walked to the door, but it was sealed shut. I walked to the wrapped around stairs, to the first window open. I poked my head in and saw an old woman there. She was wearing an old rugged gown; from her waist down and her arms, was skinny like that of a skeleton, she held a book to her chest. I thought nothing of it, perhaps she was ill.

 

Pardon me?” I said, “I’m terribly sorry, I thought this lighthouse was abandoned.

I wait for a response but heard nothing from her. So, I left with haste; but I was just few feet from that lighthouse, when I saw an old Civil War hand cannon lying before me on the ground. As I went to pick it up, there arose a loud thundering bang.

I didn’t realize, that there were others on this island before me. As the fog cleared, what I saw was impossible. There were several hundreds of people, getting ready to fight, and all of which worn Civil War uniforms.

Was it not two thousand and twelve?” I thought to myself. As they waged on and clashed into combat; I watched from afar, confused and without a thought.

I was surprised when two souls approached me, one a female in red coat and the other a male in blue.

What is this place?” I asked them.

“Hell.” was their response.

But how?” I said with questions flowing from my tongue.

“T’was the witch of the lighthouse.” they said, “She holds dear a black bound book; in it, names of souls this island once called.”

I was still confused by all that had happened. I turned my eyes from them and looked towards that old lighthouse once more. It had sparked my curiosity, and I had to see that witch once more.

 

I left those two behind, as they did not try to stop me. I walked up to that lighthouse; again, I walked up those wrapped around stairs, and again I peeked into that window. I saw her standing there, although it had appeared that she did not move. I lifted my head and gazed in what I thought to be evil eyes, instead had found nothing but sad and loneliness. I couldn’t help but feel sorry for her; I tried to hold back those feelings. I reached for that book which she held dear to her chest; but the even more impossible had happened.

It had appeared my hand had gone straight through her and the book, as if either I or she was a ghost. I looked upon her eyes once more, a thought then struck me. She was not a witch, but a ghost of a lost soul; she was someone wishing for her love to return, but this lost soul’s love was lost at sea. She was afraid of loneliness and not knowing that she was trapping souls upon this island. Now that I know the truth of her, what of my fate is now left unknown.

© 2018 Adam M. Snow


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This was short but it conveyed a great deal of emotion in it. I didn't expect that you could make me pity the witch but in the end I did :). Great job sir!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
NA
Intriguing piece...really enjoyed :) x

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I have also tried converting my dreams into words but was not able to do so. Atleast not as beautifully as you did. You have inspired me. Thanks a lot for sharing brother.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

There is something so mysterious about a lighthouse. I really enjoyed this and would love to see it extended.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 10 Years Ago


Ah, a spinner of mystical civil war dreams and stories! Great imagery! I felt as if I was having the same dream as I was reading it. Those Civil War cemeteries and battle ground memorials in the Deep South are spooky places too.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

what a dream...love the ending

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


I've tried several times to do just what you've done here with several of my dreams, and I just can't seem to make it happen. This was incredible, and thank you so much for sharing it.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love it when you can take a dream and write a story. the only thing i found was that it sounds better when you say wrap around not wrapped around for this context.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


I enjoyed this story. I like the description and the feel of mystery. I like the complete tale. A very good ending to the story. Old places I believe do have spirit waiting for a reason to leave. Thank you for sharing the excellent story.
Coyote

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


Love the flow and the way you told this out. For some reason this reminded me of something but I am damned if I remember.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

697 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on September 18, 2012
Last Updated on April 9, 2018
Tags: night, death, nature, family, friend, love, romance, lighthouse, beauty, blind, dark, poetry, prose, short, dream, fantasy, snow, stars, broken, time, haiku, lyrics, civil, war, twilight, ghost, pain, new, epic, fanfict, sonnet

Author

Adam M. Snow
Adam M. Snow

Phoenix , AZ



About
"The writer’s mind, can surpass even the most intellectual minds." –Adam M. Snow I keep my work clean, I write to inspire others. Some people would even call me a philosopher, but w.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Daffodil Daffodil

A Poem by KeelyJane


Downfall Downfall

A Poem by A. Amos


Bigot Bigot

A Poem by Muse