Dear Memory Lane

Dear Memory Lane

A Story by Saskia Liddick
"

A Story about a woman who tries to get in touch with an old lover

"

Dear Memory Lane

By Saskia Liddick

 

 

The storm outside howled and screamed, and shook the very foundation of the apartment in Chicago. Sarah Fronteria had made up her mind that morning when she sat in a Starbucks and watched the people meeting each other and sitting down to reminisce. The old glows in their faces were rekindled by the people they were meeting after years of absence. Some of them shook hands, others embraced with a kiss, and all the same, it stirred up memories that had long since settled, like dust on a porch in Arkansas.

The winds hardly let her open the door to the apartment building as she came home that night from her bank telling job. Another day of numbers, only numbers, and frustrated people, it was a job she had to settle for, not a job she wanted. Ambrosia  was waiting for Sarah, her tail flicking from side to side as the human set down her bags and walked over to a filing cabinet, passing through the bare living room. Sarah looked through the cabinet, first the M’s and found nothing. She had lost hope when she couldn’t find anything in the L’s section. Then a new idea came to her. C.

She found it there, just before Carmen, Carmel was the file she was looking for. Slowly she pulled the file labeled Carmel out of the filing cabinet and opened it. Sure enough, there it was, a mailing address. She held the file against her chest and thought to herself, “What am I doing? What if this isn’t the right address? What if he’s moved? There was that chance, but she wanted to try her luck, and sat down, taking piece of paper with her as she sat at the scratched up dining room table. The address was to 1987 Laurel Street, San Diego, CA 92103, but the paper itself was already showing signs of crumbling. It had been years since this letter had been given to her by the hands of an old friend, an old lover, yesteryear.

What if he didn’t remember her? No, that wasn’t possible, she remembered the last night they shared together crisply, she could still smell him, feel his warm fingers run along the bags that had developed under eyes from all those nights they spent together. I’ll always remember you, because you have loved me in a way that no one ever could, have, or will. He had said, his fingers dancing in front of her eyes. She gripped the file against her chest and a horrible thought came to her. What if he was dead? According to him, his condition wouldn’t let him live along. That was the risk she had to take though… she had to take the leap.

So Sarah sat down and pulled out her favorite fountain pen, sucked on it thoughtfully, and began to write.

 

Dear Memory Lane

© 2010 Saskia Liddick


Author's Note

Saskia Liddick
I can't say that I will finish this either. This installment was written so that if I don't want to finish the story, it won't leave anyone hanging. That will be the same case with the future installments. Enjoy
Liefde - Saskia

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

206 Views
Added on April 13, 2010
Last Updated on April 13, 2010

Author

Saskia Liddick
Saskia Liddick

San Diego, CA



About
Willkommen everyone, come in and sit down. Make yourselves at home, I'm Saskia Liddick, the most energetic and charismatic person you'll ever meet. I've been writing for 6 years, at age ten I left beh.. more..

Writing