21 Notes

21 Notes

A Poem by ThomasHinyard

1. Amel Larrieux had something right about infinite possibilities. There is possibility in everything , and for some of us, it's tough to grasp that belief because obstacles drop like hail at times. You have to learn to trust your life. There may be those wild thunderstorms, but you're headed in the right direction. it applies to me. I've had doubt that later was defeated by enough faith that was conjured up. I've treaded through droplets that stung my internal core, but sunshine has always been at the end because of effort. In fact, to go even further, we should go beyond possibility. I feel that if we wish for the possibilities, it brings a sense of limitation in our hopes. Turn infinite possibilities into infinite action for that definite happiness.

 

2. I cannot walk into a church. Unless it's Unitarians. It gives me an overload of nervous energy. I cannot get down with organized religion. I was force-fed a lot of it when I was younger. As I have questioned and have thought my own thoughts, I define church and religion for myself. It's watching a lotus flower rise up from the mud. It's listening to neosoul and writing at the same time. It's having that moment on stage. It's showing compassion. It's playing outside. It's dancing along with techno beats and strobe lights in a smoky club. It's walking barefoot on the beach. It's telling someone you love them. It's a conversation over a glass of Ciroc. It's all of those things and more.

 

3. There are 3 things that I want to do as my profession: create, educate, and advocate. All 3 together is a win.

 

4. I'm in love. I don't know if you guys knew that, but I am. Everything is sacred, from "good mornings", to visualizations of his face, to feeling each other's emotions, to rocking his ring and telling twinks who have their brains full of cum that I'm committed. And I feel fortunate because I knew love felt amazing... but not this amazing.

 

5. Andy Warhol is my new obsession. I want a room that has every single print of his art. Just kickback... enjoy the innovative pop art... with 80's pop music playing... and a soda pop.

 

6. Reconciliation works in some cases. In others it doesn't, and you need vodka afterwards.

 

7. Math is Satan in academic form. F**k equations. F**k expressions. F**k algebra. F**k geometry. F**k logarithms. F**k it all. I'm an artist. I'm not meant to succeed in math... or athletics.

 

8. Once upon a time, I wore fedoras every time I performed. Now I let everything out that was once underneath it. I have a new one. I'll wear it in public one day.

 

9. I'm glad that I am practicing Buddhism at a young age. The way that I think has changed. I'm feeling my fortune.

 

10. The people that you have in your life... Keep them close. The ones that are important. Do that and watch what happens.

 

11. I'm a sweet tea person. I have the kinds from Lipton, Nestea, Engish Classic, McDonalds, Piccadilly, Red Lobster, Chili's, Olive Garden, Raising Cane's, all on a regular basis. I'm a teaoholic.

 

12. I had a declaration when watching the final number of Lady Gaga's Monster Ball tour special on HBO: My name is Thomas. I'm a lot of awesome s**t. I'm not straight, but crooked, and I love it. I'm walking on the right street made out of M&M's. I was born this way!

 

13. Announcing the Strawberri tour- where I go see artists for the rest of my life. Erykah Badu is already down, now I have to go see Janet Jackson, Sade, Prince, Lenny Kravitz, Me'Shell Ndegeocello, Maxwell, Barbra Streisand... and repeat.

 

14. You always need people around you that are smarter than you. Trust. You reap plenty of benefits.

 

15. I want to get married. Don't go against my desire to because of what a Scripture says (that doesn't really say anything about marriage [Leviticus]). In addition, I will not keep myself or my life silent. I' ll be what I was meant to be: LOUD.

 

16. Pictures from my 16th birthday have finally surfaced. What the f**k? It's been 5 years!

 

17. One of the things that I strongly believe, and I will spread it, is that everyone, as individuals, has to find their own way of being creative and their own acknowledgment of a higher power. These two together will help to mold the individual into something spectacular.

 

18. Someone once asked me if I was a Black man first or a gay man first, and I think that was very ignorant of them because at every table I sit, I'm always going to bring my hot chocolate and my Frut Loops. I find it yummy.

 

19. Pop culture is so broad. I thought I knew about it until I took a sociology class about it in college. After I passed it, I felt more educated. Damn.

 

20. The last time I was 20 years old was May 30, 2011. It felt so good to say goodbye to it at midnight.

 

21. I had to write this down because my soul told me to because it probably would have bled to hell later. I had to write it to observe the new growth of myself, and to do maintenance to it, so that it blends in with everything else that I have grown. You have to take care of your gardens. Let them flourish into new lands, be fruitful, and play photosynthesis games in your neighborhood park.

© 2012 ThomasHinyard


Author's Note

ThomasHinyard
In commemoration of turning 21; May 31, 2011

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

You have an almost woody Allen lightness that is the tail of some of your phrases. I like it, I love the part about the hot chocolate and fruit loops. You have a good voice, I'm sure these notes will be quite valuable in the future.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

211 Views
1 Review
Added on March 11, 2012
Last Updated on March 11, 2012
Tags: poetry, experimental poetry, experimental, prose poems, 21, birthdays, random

Author

ThomasHinyard
ThomasHinyard

About
I'm a college student at American Public University, working on my B.A. in English. I'm an artist (spoken word/performance poet, writer, aspiring experimental musician, beatboxer, blogger). I'm a Bu.. more..

Writing