Letter to Fear

Letter to Fear

A Story by John Dennis Gillespie
"

I need to make global companions. I need to take incredible sacrifices. I need to live like I know there’s an end so that way there is no way for me to fear it.

"
I recently have been thinking about leaving. Something inside of me tingles for a time of intense reflection. I need to reflect my past, my present, and my possible future decisions. In a journal I kept not to long ago, I wrote about you and I said, “I need to learn to acknowledge Fear and find a way to overcome it.” This is easier said than done, especially with the weight of the events that are about to take place in my life. In about a year or two, I will be springing into an unknown world with only one companion to my name and we will reach this new world and make companions. Many of these companions will play the role of friend and many will play the role of enemy. Once again I’ll have to find my place and the confusion can either destroy me or innovate me. It’s similar to those pioneers that left their homelands for West and gave up everything back home to make the trip in search of gold. My search is similar to gold. My search is for the true meaning of love, the true revealing of God, the true power in self-control and the true acquiring of intelligence. But, should I allow you to stop me from trying to reach new heights? I’m not afraid of the flight. I’m afraid of the fall, but those who never invest in wings never feel the sky at all, right? We can’t runaway from time and sooner or later I will have to make my grand decision and hope for a miracle. Every part of my flesh wishes to push away companionship because of the possibility of doom that comes along with it, but this too is you, Fear. I have been brutally trained to live a cowardly safe life of no risk and short-sighted goals. I have been brutally trained to live a settled life of happiness in the status quo and I’m not okay with it. This is why I need to leave this town, more than I am scared to leave it. This town provides a safety net for the frightened and the weak and I don’t want to be that. I need to pack my bags and head in the direction of the sun and continue on that direction until I find what strikes me as beautiful. I need to make global companions. I need to take incredible sacrifices. I need to live like I know there’s an end so that way there is no way for me to fear it. You are strong and overwhelming, but I will equal you in might because I won’t let you control me. The only thing that may break is my heart, but never my spirit.

Sincerly,

The Poemtographer

© 2013 John Dennis Gillespie


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

111 Views
Added on October 8, 2013
Last Updated on October 8, 2013
Tags: Letter, Epistolary, Story, Creative