New Beginnings

New Beginnings

A Chapter by SomerSunshine

     "Well miss..." Barbara trailed, making my heart jump into a sprint, and by the way she was speaking, the slow, uneven pace of her voice was most definitely making it worse.

     "Congratulations!" She shouted, jumping out of her seat, a grin spreading across her plump face. The sound of her voice coming to life brought me to attention, and I jumped out of my seat as well.

     "Hell to the yeah!" I shouted, a smile making it's way onto my face, and we both beamed at each other. With a deep breath, I spread my arms wide and welcomed her into a hug. As much as I hated the way she smelled, her peaches and cream scent was always powerful enough to make me gag when I came within a three foot radius of her, her hug made me feel extremely empowered, because now my life was really starting. I could do this. She had made it official.

     As a bonus, it was nice to have someone to share this explosion of happiness with.  

     I heard the office door open, and Barbara's scretary, Sharon, burst in. "Shayls, you got the house?" She screeched, making Barbara release me, one arm still tightly wrapped around my shoulder, and turned us to face Sharon, who was beaming.

     This was just too much happiness to handle.

     "Yeah she did. And for 'a ridiculously modest price'." She said, batting her eyelashes and throwing in her business slogan for a dramatic touch.

     I rolled my eyes at her, but couldn't bring myself to release the hold of the smile that seemed glued to my face. Was this how all new homeowners felt?

     "So, ladies," I said, clearing my throat. They both glanced warily at me, and it made me feel a little smug. I tried to hold my smile back from turning into a smirk. "When do I get my keys?"

      Sharon squealed in delight, obviously glad that I hadn't ruined this ridiculously happy moment. Barbara dug her hand into her pocket, and brought out a set of two brass keys on a small key ring. She reached over the chair that stood inbetween us and grabbed my hand, placing the key in my palm and then curling my fingers into a fist over it. The action was so final, it made me my head spin. Everything was happening so quickly.

     "Well Shayls," Barbara started nonchalantly, peering over the top of her rimless glasses. "How does it feel to be a homeowner?"

      I smirked. "Is it supposed to feel this fan-freaking-tastic?" I questioned, and Sharon squealed excitedly, pulling me into a tight hug. I patted her back awkwardly, not used all of this touching. Was it healthy to feel this happy? My voice caught in my throat, and I just let myself relax into her embrace. Everthing was fine, I told myself. Actually, everything was more than fine- it was perfect.

     I glanced around, my eyes meeting Barbara's. Her bright green fleece dress stood out brightly in her generic office. Sharon released me and turned back to her desk in the lobby, and I walked towards the exit, saying my thank you's and good byes as I neared the door.

     I turned to Barbara one last time. "Thanks so much, Barbara. You have to be the best realtor in the world." I said, trying to put as much emotion as I could into every word. She rolled her eyes, and reached out to pull me in for one last hug.

     "Would your mother have sent you to me if I wasn't?" She retorted, and I laughed quietly into her shoulder. "Your parents would be so proud." She whispered quietly, and I nodded into her shoulder.

     She pulled her arms away gently and cursed under her breath, and ran back into her office and over to her desk. She opened a drawer and pulled out an envelope, and quickly ran back over to me, handing it to me quickly.

     "Darn my old age, I almost forgot to give this to you." She sputtered, a little out of breath. I gave her a questioning look, and she shrugged. "It's a letter from the previous owners. Just take a look at it whenever you have the time."

     "Weird." I muttered, and she nodded in agreement.

     I turned back towards the exit, and she walked beside me quietly, holding the door open for me as I walked out. "Thanks again, Barbara!" I shouted over my shoulder, putting the house key in my pocket as I reached for my car key.

     I heard her chuckle. "No problemo, kiddo," She shouted back. "You deserve it!"



© 2012 SomerSunshine


Author's Note

SomerSunshine
Chapter 1 of my new haunted-house, demon love story. Tell me what you think (:

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Dun-dun-dun! Something is bound to happen. I hope more chapters will be up soon. Your writing style and word choice are quite good. You seem to be a good writer, including grammar, etc, which is strange for this site. Not many know how to write so readers can comprehend on this site. All in all, I like this and am excited for more :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

SomerSunshine

11 Years Ago

Hahaha, I'm really glad you like it! Thank you very much. I actually kind of forgot about this story.. read more



Reviews

Dun-dun-dun! Something is bound to happen. I hope more chapters will be up soon. Your writing style and word choice are quite good. You seem to be a good writer, including grammar, etc, which is strange for this site. Not many know how to write so readers can comprehend on this site. All in all, I like this and am excited for more :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

SomerSunshine

11 Years Ago

Hahaha, I'm really glad you like it! Thank you very much. I actually kind of forgot about this story.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

211 Views
1 Review
Added on February 5, 2011
Last Updated on August 8, 2012
Tags: Demon, Haunting, Love, House, Teen


Author

SomerSunshine
SomerSunshine

MN



About
My name is Somer, and I'm just a girl from Minnesota. I love to write, and one day I hope to become an author. I like stories with a lot of feeling, and run-on sentences. So hopefully my stories h.. more..

Writing
adfdaf adfdaf

A Story by SomerSunshine